Has Anyone Here Tried "always Liquid" Coconut Oil?

Discussion in 'Coconut Oil' started by lvysaur, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:01 PM.

1. lvysaur

lvysaur Member

I recently picked this up at the store, and it tastes weird. It almost doesn't taste like fat at all; no matter how much I add to food, the food won't taste truly fatty.

In addition, it seems more water soluble/hydrophilic. When I added it to soup, it automatically dispersed into the water, instead of clumping up to make huge oil droplets.

Is this basically the same thing as MCT oil?

2. jitsmonkey

jitsmonkey Member

the highest value coconut oil is the most saturated
    If its liquid its got substantial amounts of MCT which is fine but not AS valuable as just coconut oil.

3. x-ray peat

x-ray peat Member

A prematurely aging executive who shall not be named thinks MCT oil is much better than coconut oil.

4. jitsmonkey

jitsmonkey Member

Dave Asprey = George Costanza
    #DoTheOpposite

5. x-ray peat

x-ray peat Member

6. Mito

Mito Member

Good MCT oil contains only C8 and C10 or only C8. The oil you bought contains a pretty high percentage of C12 in addition to C8 and C10.

7. Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Dr.Winston O'Boogie Member

One concern that I would have is that “always liquid” implies a lower ‘melting’ point, i.e. less staturated than regular CO.

I don’t know if it means that they blend the CO with something else or process it in some way to lower the melting point (almost like the opposite of hydrogenation? It would be interesting to know.

8. Mito

Mito Member

No it’s all saturated fatty acids (caprylic, capric, and lauric). It’s liquid because they removed the longer chain fatty acids (C14, C16, C18, etc.) from the coconut oil.

9. Westside PUFAs

Westside PUFAs Member

"Summary of Liquid Coconut Oil

In summary, what do you have when you take lauric acid out of real coconut oil? You have an ordinary oil that is missing the most unique feature coconut oil is known for, lauric acid. Lauric acid is 50% of real coconut oil, and 0% of liquid coconut oil. The only other place in nature where lauric acid is found in abundance is human breast milk.

Is it any wonder that “liquid coconut oil” was developed as a by product after coconut oil’s most famous and most valuable component was removed?"

"So should we really be calling a manufactured liquid oil byproduct with no lauric acid “coconut oil?”

https://healthytraditions.com/faq/liquid-coconut-oil-mct-oil

10. lisaferraro

lisaferraro Member

+1

11. Mito

Mito Member

They didn’t remove the lauric acid according to the label.5E618EF4-3C63-41B6-A7F1-A09AAA79AC51.jpeg

12. Lurker

Lurker Member

But it must be greatly reduced though since lauric is solid at room temps. Normal coconut oil is something over 50% lauric and single digit % for the capric and caprylic acids. Hopefully they removed the pufas as well. Anyway, I’d use it if the price was reasonable.

Full coconut oil of someone wants to do the percentages:
    Coconut Oil

13. Mito

Mito Member

Percentages are posted here Coconut Oil

According to the label it’s about 36% lauric acid. So it’s reduced some but only about 10-15% less than normal coconut oil.