Has Anyone Here Tried "always Liquid" Coconut Oil?

lvysaur

I recently picked this up at the store, and it tastes weird. It almost doesn't taste like fat at all; no matter how much I add to food, the food won't taste truly fatty.

In addition, it seems more water soluble/hydrophilic. When I added it to soup, it automatically dispersed into the water, instead of clumping up to make huge oil droplets.

Is this basically the same thing as MCT oil?

jitsmonkey

the highest value coconut oil is the most saturated
If its liquid its got substantial amounts of MCT which is fine but not AS valuable as just coconut oil.

x-ray peat

A prematurely aging executive who shall not be named thinks MCT oil is much better than coconut oil.

Mito

I recently picked this up at the store, and it tastes weird. It almost doesn't taste like fat at all; no matter how much I add to food, the food won't taste truly fatty.

In addition, it seems more water soluble/hydrophilic. When I added it to soup, it automatically dispersed into the water, instead of clumping up to make huge oil droplets.

Is this basically the same thing as MCT oil?
Good MCT oil contains only C8 and C10 or only C8. The oil you bought contains a pretty high percentage of C12 in addition to C8 and C10.

One concern that I would have is that “always liquid” implies a lower ‘melting’ point, i.e. less staturated than regular CO.

I don’t know if it means that they blend the CO with something else or process it in some way to lower the melting point (almost like the opposite of hydrogenation? It would be interesting to know.

Mito

One concern that I would have is that “always liquid” implies a lower ‘melting’ point, i.e. less staturated than regular CO.

I don’t know if it means that they blend the CO with something else or process it in some way to lower the melting point (almost like the opposite of hydrogenation? It would be interesting to know.
No it’s all saturated fatty acids (caprylic, capric, and lauric). It’s liquid because they removed the longer chain fatty acids (C14, C16, C18, etc.) from the coconut oil.

Last edited:
"Summary of Liquid Coconut Oil

In summary, what do you have when you take lauric acid out of real coconut oil? You have an ordinary oil that is missing the most unique feature coconut oil is known for, lauric acid. Lauric acid is 50% of real coconut oil, and 0% of liquid coconut oil. The only other place in nature where lauric acid is found in abundance is human breast milk.

Is it any wonder that “liquid coconut oil” was developed as a by product after coconut oil’s most famous and most valuable component was removed?"

"So should we really be calling a manufactured liquid oil byproduct with no lauric acid “coconut oil?”

https://healthytraditions.com/faq/liquid-coconut-oil-mct-oil

Mito

In summary, what do you have when you take lauric acid out of real coconut oil? You have an ordinary oil that is missing the most unique feature coconut oil is known for, lauric acid. Lauric acid is 50% of real coconut oil, and 0% of liquid coconut oil. The only other place in nature where lauric acid is found in abundance is human breast milk.
They didn’t remove the lauric acid according to the label.
5E618EF4-3C63-41B6-A7F1-A09AAA79AC51.jpeg

Lurker

They didn’t remove the lauric acid according to the label.View attachment 7516

But it must be greatly reduced though since lauric is solid at room temps. Normal coconut oil is something over 50% lauric and single digit % for the capric and caprylic acids. Hopefully they removed the pufas as well. Anyway, I’d use it if the price was reasonable.

Full coconut oil of someone wants to do the percentages:
One tablespoon contains: Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) (Lauric Acid 6930 mg, Caprylic Acid 1050 mg, Capric Acid 882 mg), Omega-6 Polyunsaturated Fat (Linoleic Acid (LA) 266 mg), Omega-9 Monounsaturated Fat (Oleic Acid 1050 mg).
Coconut Oil

Mito

But it must be greatly reduced though since lauric is solid at room temps. Normal coconut oil is something over 50% lauric and single digit % for the capric and caprylic acids.
Percentages are posted here Coconut Oil

According to the label it’s about 36% lauric acid. So it’s reduced some but only about 10-15% less than normal coconut oil.

Glassy

I love liquid coconut oil and MCT oil not for any perceived health benefit but because it’s a liquid saturated fat that I can use as a replacement for vegetable oil. Aspley’s MCT oil was good in that it didn’t have the coconut flavour which can be offputting in mayonnaise and I haven’t found a “refined” coconut oil in Australia that didn’t taste really wrong (some have a chemically/soapy taste).

I was using olive oil to make mayonnaise but i don’t trust the % of actual olive oil and don’t like the fatty acid profile that much (monos are OK but prefer saturated).

I stumbled across a similar brand to the one you found Coco Earth LCPO in Woolworths (Australian supermarket). At $13 per 500mls it’s cheaper than MCT oil but still quite pricey. This brand is closer to MCT oil with 52% caprylic, 36% capric and 5% lauric acid. I was making mayonnaise last night and ran out of oil so rushed down to the supermarket to pick up 2 bottles (didn’t want to run out again). It was on special @ $6.50 a bottle ($13 per litre) so instead of buying 2 bottles I bought 4. I’m currently thinking of going back and buying a dozen more since it doesn’t go rancid and makes great mayonnaise (slight coconut flavour but it’s quite subtle).

I prefer to cook with pure coconut oil but I love good whole egg mayonnaise and so does my daughter.

goodandevil

I love liquid coconut oil and MCT oil not for any perceived health benefit but because it’s a liquid saturated fat that I can use as a replacement for vegetable oil. Aspley’s MCT oil was good in that it didn’t have the coconut flavour which can be offputting in mayonnaise and I haven’t found a “refined” coconut oil in Australia that didn’t taste really wrong (some have a chemically/soapy taste).

I was using olive oil to make mayonnaise but i don’t trust the % of actual olive oil and don’t like the fatty acid profile that much (monos are OK but prefer saturated).

I stumbled across a similar brand to the one you found Coco Earth LCPO in Woolworths (Australian supermarket). At $13 per 500mls it’s cheaper than MCT oil but still quite pricey. This brand is closer to MCT oil with 52% caprylic, 36% capric and 5% lauric acid. I was making mayonnaise last night and ran out of oil so rushed down to the supermarket to pick up 2 bottles (didn’t want to run out again). It was on special @ $6.50 a bottle ($13 per litre) so instead of buying 2 bottles I bought 4. I’m currently thinking of going back and buying a dozen more since it doesn’t go rancid and makes great mayonnaise (slight coconut flavour but it’s quite subtle).

I prefer to cook with pure coconut oil but I love good whole egg mayonnaise and so does my daughter.
Do you have a good recipe? Ive been using this one, but i think at least with MCT, the taste could be improved. Two-Minute Mayonnaise Recipe

Glassy

Do you have a good recipe? Ive been using this one, but i think at least with MCT, the taste could be improved. Two-Minute Mayonnaise Recipe

Yeah this is the one I’ve used for the last 4-5 years. I generally make a double portion just for convenience and it keeps well for 2-3 weeks refrigerated (i turf what’s left after a couple of weeks generally just to be safe).

1 large egg
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt (I use Celtic sea salt)
Oil of choice (as much as required to make a thick mayonnaise about 200ml or 3/4 cup)

I use an emulsion blender but I’ve also used a regular blender on low speed. Blend egg, mustard, lemon juice & salt until mixed thorough. While blending, pour in the oil gradually until you have a thick mixture (oil will start to pool more and the mixture will blend less easily).

I’ve tried it with avocado and extra virgin olive oil and hated the taste. When I made it with coconut oil it made more of a strange butter when refrigerated and the texture and flavour was just wrong.

Edit: I just looked at the other recipe - it’s pretty much the same as the one I use. The flavour is heavily affected by the oil used but I also prefer the taste of unrefined sea salt. To me it tastes similar to Hellmanns or S&W whole egg mayonnaise which is less sweet and creamier than most of the mayonnaise you get here in Oz.

Last edited:

goodandevil

Yeah this is the one I’ve used for the last 4-5 years. I generally make a double portion just for convenience and it keeps well for 2-3 weeks refrigerated (i turf what’s left after a couple of weeks generally just to be safe).

1 large egg
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt (I use Celtic sea salt)
Oil of choice (as much as required to make a thick mayonnaise about 200ml or 3/4 cup)

I use an emulsion blender but I’ve also used a regular blender on low speed. Blend egg, mustard, lemon juice & salt until mixed thorough. While blending, pour in the oil gradually until you have a thick mixture (oil will start to pool more and the mixture will blend less easily).

I’ve tried it with avocado and extra virgin olive oil and hated the taste. When I made it with coconut oil it made more of a strange butter when refrigerated and the texture and flavour was just wrong.

Edit: I just looked at the other recipe - it’s pretty much the same as the one I use. The flavour is heavily affected by the oil used but I also prefer the taste of unrefined sea salt. To me it tastes similar to Hellmanns or S&W whole egg mayonnaise which is less sweet and creamier than most of the mayonnaise you get here in Oz.
Yes, indeed, we dont know anything except for miracle whip. Thanks for the recipe, ill give those proportions a shot.