Magnesium Oil

Peata

I've tracked my nutrition in Chronometer daily since starting Peat almost 4 months ago. I am below the RDA most every day in Magnesium, Manganese, and Potassium. Now and then I supplement, but it's not consistent and I don't know if it gets absorbed.

I take Epsom salt baths about 3 x week and these are relaxing (along with baking soda in the water), but I wasn't sure if it was enough. I've been using Magnesium Oil everyday now this week, and I think it is one of those "missing links" for me that is good for my health.

It made sense for me that I needed more magnesium since I rarely meet the RDA but I usually exceed the RDA in calcium... and that for years I have had problems with my neck on one side going from base of skull to shoulder blade (tension, pain, crackly stuff) as well as some popping joints in my arm/shoulder... and that last period I had a very crampy day... and more symptoms.

I don't use any certain amount of the oil. I don't even depress the spray pump all the way, so I don't know how much I'm getting. The literature says my body will just absorb what it needs and won't overdose. I haven't had any bowel intolerance so far.

I use it as a deodorant each day, and I'm kinda excited that it works as well as it does. I've tried so many natural deodorants and none of them really worked for me. Then I started using men's speed stick deodorant, which I used some when I was younger, and it works OK but has such a strong scent (for some reason they really amp up the fragrance in men's products - too much!) So far the magnesium oil is doing a great job with NO scent.

I use it carefully on my face each night after washing. I say carefully because I don't want it getting in my eyes. It seems to calm down acne, but I will warn that it stings in any open sore.

I have stopped using toothpaste this past week, even the natural stuff from the health food store (the last one I had used careegenan and other additives). I just use baking soda and then spray some magnesium oil on the brush and go over my gums and teeth. It tastes pretty bad, I won't lie. It's strong - almost bitter, and of course salty. But I bear with it, and so far my teeth look and feel good.

I use it directly on my troublesome neck and back areas, and they are no longer hurting. I still feel like they need massaged and adjusted at times, but at least there's no pain/strong tension. I don't have to think about my neck so much. Any improvement in that area is great since I've been dealing with it for 3 years, so I'm going to keep using the MO.

Finally, I've been applying it to my feet and legs each night before bed. Sometimes rub some into my arms and chest and abdomen. I guess it helps my sleep, but I don't know since I take Benadryl at night and that makes me sleepy anyway.

I have been doing some reading on mag. and found that where estrogen is high, mag. tends to be low (and it seems most people are low in mag. anyway, and oral supplements may not always be absorbed well, plus stress eats up magnesium). High estrogen causes mag. to be burned up. It can result in calcium deposits and breast cysts among other problems. Magnesium is important to have when getting as much calcium as I do on the Peat woe, because it makes for healthier cells - helps the cells use calcium the way they are supposed to.

I came across an article Danny Roddy wrote too, about the many benefits of Magnesium.

So, I just wanted to report some of my experience with magnesium oil so far, and if anyone has more to add, please do.

Dan W

Thanks Peata, I'm interested in this too. I've been putting an epsom salt + baking soda + water solution on my skin at night because I'm too lazy to take the baths. It's hard to tell whether that works or not though.

What magnesium oil are you using?

4peatssake

Dan Wich said:
I'm too lazy to take the baths.
Hmm, I was so sure you liked playing with your boat? :rolling
having-bath-300x300.jpg

OP
Peata

Peata

Dan Wich said:
Thanks Peata, I'm interested in this too. I've been putting an epsom salt + baking soda + water solution on my skin at night because I'm too lazy to take the baths. It's hard to tell whether that works or not though.

What magnesium oil are you using?

Ancient Minerals. It was about $20 for 8 oz.

Dan W

4peatssake said:
Hmm, I was so sure you liked playing with your boat? :rolling
Look, I don't know where you've hidden the cameras in my house, but I will find them sooner or later.

Peata said:
Ancient Minerals. It was about $20 for 8 oz.
From what I can tell, it's mainly magnesium chloride in water. Does anyone know if that's more beneficial than epsom salts and baking soda in water? Maybe it provides better absorption or higher saturation?

jyb

An explanation could be that absorption of Mg from magnesium chloride and epsom salts might not be the same. I remember reading superficially that magnesium chloride was indeed advantageous. I use the oil because I don't have a bath, however I can't use it every single day because it can a bit irritating if overused (depends on your skin).

4peatssake

I dunno $20 for 8 oz seems pretty steep.

Did some nosing around and found a livey thread on the "Adrenal Support Forum" over at Curezone. Lively Thread Overall, most people are reporting good results.

This post caught my eye for those of us balking at the price. :mrgreen:
Magnesium oil works wonders for me. It doesn't cost much at all if you make it yourself. Just add magnesium chloride to water and put it in a spray bottle. I use 1/3 cup magnesium chloride to 2/3 cup water but you can use less or more, as long as all of the magnesium chloride is dissolved. You can buy magnesium chloride mined from land here: Swanson Vitamins

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
4peatssake said:
This post caught my eye for those of us balking at the price. :mrgreen:
Magnesium oil works wonders for me. It doesn't cost much at all if you make it yourself. Just add magnesium chloride to water and put it in a spray bottle. I use 1/3 cup magnesium chloride to 2/3 cup water but you can use less or more, as long as all of the magnesium chloride is dissolved. You can buy magnesium chloride mined from land here: Swanson Vitamins

Thank you 4ps!

I did a little digging and on Amazon I found the brand below for 50 cents more and you get close to 10 ounces more if my math is right. It seems that all the magnesium flakes come from the same place so it's more than likely it's the same exact stuff.

Life-Flo Health Care - Pure Magnesium Flakes

OP
Peata

Peata

4peatssake said:
I dunno $20 for 8 oz seems pretty steep.
[/quote]

Yeah, not loving that price. But apparently it used to be closer to $30, from some review I read. :eek:

Combie

buy magnesium chloride flakes and dissolve it 1:1 in water - magnesium oil for pennies.

Personally i have not found any major benefit of the oil. I prefer to get my Mg from OJ, or on the rare occasion i have a bath (i do shower though!) with a handful of dead sea salt.

OP
Peata

Peata

I wonder how much magnesium is actually in the OJ I have? In Cronometer, I just use the generic drop-down listing already there for OJ. Maybe I get more than I think.

Just like I used to use their listing for gelatin... When I actually entered in the Great Lakes gelatin info yesterday, I suddenly had many times the amount of amino acids listed as before.

At any rate, I've been using the Mag. Oil everyday as a deodorant and absolutely love it for that. I use it on my feet and my face in the evenings, and on my underarms and neck every day. I didn't feel the need to use it anywhere else last night, so I sorta took that to mean my body wasn't craving it.

HDD

It seems that it would be easier/nicer to apply in an oil. What oil is used?

Combie

Haagendazendiane said:
It seems that it would be easier/nicer to apply in an oil. What oil is used?
There is no actual oil, it just has an oily texture, hence mag oil

HDD

So the homemade mag chloride plus water would have an oily texture that would make it easy to rub into tense muscles?

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
So the homemade mag chloride plus water would have an oily texture that would make it easy to rub into tense muscles?
That's what I understand HDD.
The only ingredients in the "oil" are the mag chloride flakes and water. Much cheaper to make your own!

BTW, I've come across an Even Cheaper Source of Mag Chloride Flakes at Amazon

edwardBe

4peatssake said:

Actually, if my math is correct that isn't a very good price. It is only 100 grams of MgCl for $6.50 plus $4.49 for shipping making about $11.00 total or around $3.50 per ounce.

This place sells 44 ounces for $21.00 including shipping which is about $0.50 per ounce.

Swanson's has a similar price on Amazon, which is slightly less than on their own website for some reason.

Of course, that is a boatload of MgCl, I guess it might become an heirloom or something. :)

4peatssake

edwardBe said:
4peatssake said:

Actually, if my math is correct that isn't a very good price. It is only 100 grams of MgCl for $6.50 plus $4.49 for shipping making about $11.00 total or around $3.50 per ounce.

This place sells 44 ounces for $21.00 including shipping which is about $0.50 per ounce.

Swanson's has a similar price on Amazon, which is slightly less than on their own website for some reason.

Of course, that is a boatload of MgCl, I guess it might become an heirloom or something. :)
Yikes, good catch. Sorry about my bad math. :roll:

Thanks for the link!

OP
Peata

Peata

Just an update - I'm still using this everyday as part of my deodorant. I use one spray per underarm and follow up with baking soda. (that's apparently 200 mg. mag since each spray is supposed to be 100 mg.)

Now and then I massage it into my lower legs before bed.

Still have a lot left in bottle.

edwardBe

One other thought.
Peata said:
I have stopped using toothpaste this past week, even the natural stuff from the health food store (the last one I had used careegenan and other additives). I just use baking soda and then spray some magnesium oil on the brush and go over my gums and teeth. It tastes pretty bad, I won't lie. It's strong - almost bitter, and of course salty. But I bear with it, and so far my teeth look and feel good.

I use Dr. Bronner's peppermint liquid soap instead of tooth paste after liking "tooth soap." The tooth soap is pricey and I have a suspicion they just repackage Dr. Bronner's. I like the taste and the soapy quality doesn't bother me. No fluoride, no other stupid chemicals or gums and no glycerin other than that which is formed during the saponification of an oil into soap, so it leaves your teeth feeling very clean. It does have tocopherol added, but hopefully sourced naturally. They are big on being 100% organic.

It only takes about 2 or 3 drops so an 8 ounce bottle will last and last and last...

I've been using it for a while and it seems to slightly calm down my still way-out-of-control heartbeat.

I noticed that if you apply it a few times in a row to the same spot, it leaves a white salty residue (tends to sting and is quite drying) which I guess suggests that the skin in that area is saturated and can no longer absorb it, so it's probably best to spread it around on different parts of your body.

I make mine at home from magnesium chloride hexahydrate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals