Magnesium Oil

loess

Yep, I've experienced similar stinging/skin irritation. It seems to help if I rinse off the salty residue with water before the next time I apply the mag oil. I usually wait about 30 minutes to allow for absorption before I rinse the area.

jyb

Note that you won't get the irritation if you simply do a magnesium foot bath. Actually, I find the foot bath easier that letting the possibly stinging mg oil sink in for 30 mins, so I only do the former now.

Dewitt

Magnesium oil doesn't cause irritation for me, except on the lower arms and face. But I make my own magnesium oil with purified magnesium chloride hexahydrate and distilled water. Maybe there are some impurities in the commercial products?

lindsay

I just bought a magnesium oil with aloe (they were out of the regular one) and it stings like crazy, which is surprising considering it has the aloe vera in it. Plus, I don't like the way it feels on the skin - kind of metallic feeling.

Jib

I've been eating a fair amount of coconut butter. FWIW, it's very high in manganese. You can mix raw honey and coconut butter and put it into molds and refrigerate them to make little candies that are very good.

http://macrobiotic.about.com/od/wholefo ... Recipe.htm

I've been using magnesium oil for at least a couple years. I spray it on my toothbrush and use that to brush my teeth. So 2+ years of doing that and no cavities (knock on wood...especially since I want to get the rest of my mercury amalgams replaced with composite in the near future).

Lately I've also been doing about 10 full sprays of it in a small amount of water and using that as a mouthwash after I brush my teeth. I don't rinse with water after it. I also use it as a deodorant. I have one of the big bottles of it from Swanson's and use that to refill the spray bottle.

I ordered some magnesium glycinate from purebulk.com. I have a very hard time with oral magnesium. It always gives me the runs. I thought I could handle 25% DV of magnesium in one dose, but even that upsets me. I don't know what to make of that. It's pretty frustrating because I want to get more magnesium in my diet since I'm not sure how much of the magnesium chloride is actually getting into my system through using it as a deodorant and to brush my teeth.

I do take epsom salt baths with baking soda (2 cups epsom salts, 1 cup baking soda, 1/2 tsp vitamin C crystals to neutralize chloramine in the water), although I get lazy with that and sometimes go a week or two without taking one.

Here's an idea for coconut oil + magnesium oil body butter:

http://blog.radiantlifecatalog.com/bid/ ... nesium-Oil

Pointless

I can't get my temp over 97.5 without topical magnesium. It's a critical ingredient in boosting my metabolism. I'm doing other things too like thyroid and diet, but they do nothing without mg. Sometimes magnesium will boost my temp 1.4 degrees. Highly recommended.

Ulla

I can't get my temp over 97.5 without topical magnesium. It's a critical ingredient in boosting my metabolism. I'm doing other things too like thyroid and diet, but they do nothing without mg. Sometimes magnesium will boost my temp 1.4 degrees. Highly recommended.
How much do you take? Or apply?

Pointless

I put 1 tbsp magnesium chloride in about a 1 L spray bottle and cover my whole body.

Pointless

No it lasts for weeks. I use 25-30 sprays each time. You'll have to experiment with your own dosage. I suggest going by body temperature and feeling. Use as high a concentration as possible without making your skin burn. If I use too much magnesium, I get restless legs, which is paradoxical, so I go by that.

Ulla

No it lasts for weeks. I use 25-30 sprays each time. You'll have to experiment with your own dosage. I suggest going by body temperature and feeling. Use as high a concentration as possible without making your skin burn. If I use too much magnesium, I get restless legs, which is paradoxical, so I go by that.

I make similar mix.
I make 33% so that is 33g per 1 L.

Restless legs... maybe not enough calcium?

Peater Piper

So topical magnesium really does work? I'd read about it, specifically epsom salt baths, but studies are scant. If temperature's increasing then that's pretty solid evidence something's absorbing.

tara

I make 33% so that is 33g per 1 L.
Unless my maths is really off this morning
33% by weight=330 g/l?
33g/l =3.3%

Ulla

Unless my maths is really off this morning
33% by weight=330 g/l?
33g/l =3.3%
Haha yes. Your maths is okay, mine was off yesterday.
wrong numbers with %.

EDIT:

I use 33 g per 1/2 cup which is 125 ml in my case.
I prefer more concentrated because then I don't have to spray that much all over. It doesn't bother my skin.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
@burtlancast @haidut
Both of you mentioned using magnesium chloride before, do you have any opinion on topical use?

I think it is similar to baths with magnesium sulfate - it absorbs but needs time, hence the need to soak in a tub of warm water for an hour or two.

B

Braveheart

I use the mag chloride "oil" in spray bottle... on inner thighs before bed...works good...not "oily" after a few mins...inexpensive, from LifeFlow, Vitacost

Rad

I was using magnesium oil aka mag chloride when I had my mind popping, 3d depth/volume perception experience.

Magnesium With 3d Glasses

Never got anywhere like this experience with just the oil. Required a little dmso.

Laurence

I can confirm magnesium is absorbed transdermally. A few years ago I made a concentrated solution of MgCl and applied it to arms and chest. About 15 minutes later I experienced strange breathing issues, had to force myself to take a breath which was very disconcerting, washed it off in the shower and returned to normal. Later read that respiratory depression is a sign of Mg overdose. So just be careful with the dose.

I still use it but in far smaller quantities as a deodorant. Still using the same 'Ancient Minerals Magnesium Bath Flakes' jar to make the solution with.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals