Dairy causes acne

SOMO

Are you of European descend? Europeans shouldn't have any trouble with dairy, maybe if you are Asian you should stop drinking milk.

Also switching to Goat milk can solve all your problems, I don't even understand why people drink cow milk, it tastes like water while goat milk smells and tastes awesome, cow milk being cheaper is the only reason I can see, so if you can afford Goat milk and Goat ,Sheep dairy then switch to that.

I am actually disgusted by how goat milk smells and how goat cheese tastes. I mean, it tastes like how goats smell.

Scientists are trying to revive the aurochs using gene therapy and selective breeding, I suspect that milk will be superior.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTUzjlmNc9c&t=436s

Or its this

Sugar spikes IGF-1. IGF-1 activates SREBP-1. SREBP-1 increases viscosity of sebum leading to the oily skin you’re experiencing.

Nothing to do with SIBO.

IGF-1 induces SREBP-1 expression and lipogenesis in SEB-1 sebocytes via activation of the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway. - PubMed - NCBI

@Travis has talked about it in more detail.

IGF definitely plays a role, and it's the reason I avoided dairy for many years - but I think the fatty acid content of the sebum is still going to determine whether a comedone/whitehead is actually formed. There are people with oily skin but no acne. I believe RP has also written about the benefits of IGF, but when someone is trying to get clear skin those other benefits are not as appealing of course.

Protein also raises IGF, but we also have IGF binding proteins that stop the IGF from binding to insulin receptors. Also how much sugar would it take to raise IGF by a significant percentage?

Not everyone that eats a high sugar or high protein diet will get acne and there are people that simply WON'T get acne even if their IGF is raised. I think the reason for that is the fatty acid content of that sebum and their cholesterol conversion. Dairy doesn't give me acne, but if I was to eat a few of those Nature's Valley granola bars, I would get acne (grains+canola oil).

Regardless, at the end of the day the issue is sebum. Since IGF increases sebum, that sebum should still undergo conversion into steroids - this indicates an issue with cholesterol/steroid conversion. I hate how dermatologists often explain acne away as "bacteria" and "hormones" but it is true. To get rid of acne permanently (without restricting any macronutrient) we should be looking at a hormonal angle.

PurpleHeart

I am actually disgusted by how goat milk smells and how goat cheese tastes. I mean, it tastes like how goats smell.
Maybe taste is a good indicator of what we should eat, personally I really enjoy Goat cheese and milk, it probably has to do with the fact that I grew up with goat cheese but maybe it is also an indicator of whether your body will do well with that food.

This is why I am talking about descend maybe eating local foods that your ancestors ate is more optimal than eating foreign things.

But I will never understand how people can drink things like soy milk for example that tastes like plastic and metal together and then go on to complain about a nice glass of goat milk, it probably has to do with individual differences so eat whatever you enjoy(within reason of course).

OP
J

JacobG

Are you of European descend? Europeans shouldn't have any trouble with dairy, maybe if you are Asian you should stop drinking milk.

Also switching to Goat milk can solve all your problems, I don't even understand why people drink cow milk, it tastes like water while goat milk smells and tastes awesome, cow milk being cheaper is the only reason I can see, so if you can afford Goat milk and Goat ,Sheep dairy then switch to that.
I am European and have tried organic dairy from:
- Cows
- Goats
- Sheep
- Buffalos

All make me break out.

ursidae

Scientists are trying to revive the aurochs using gene therapy and selective breeding, I suspect that milk will be superior.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTUzjlmNc9c&t=436s

IGF definitely plays a role, and it's the reason I avoided dairy for many years - but I think the fatty acid content of the sebum is still going to determine whether a comedone/whitehead is actually formed. There are people with oily skin but no acne. I believe RP has also written about the benefits of IGF, but when someone is trying to get clear skin those other benefits are not as appealing of course.

Protein also raises IGF, but we also have IGF binding proteins that stop the IGF from binding to insulin receptors. Also how much sugar would it take to raise IGF by a significant percentage?

Not everyone that eats a high sugar or high protein diet will get acne and there are people that simply WON'T get acne even if their IGF is raised. I think the reason for that is the fatty acid content of that sebum and their cholesterol conversion. Dairy doesn't give me acne, but if I was to eat a few of those Nature's Valley granola bars, I would get acne (grains+canola oil).

Regardless, at the end of the day the issue is sebum. Since IGF increases sebum, that sebum should still undergo conversion into steroids - this indicates an issue with cholesterol/steroid conversion. I hate how dermatologists often explain acne away as "bacteria" and "hormones" but it is true. To get rid of acne permanently (without restricting any macronutrient) we should be looking at a hormonal angle

Acne is like male pattern baldness. I’m certain the solution to both is one and the same

Dr. B

It's homogenisation that does it friend.

Travis elucidated the mechanism on this form years ago. RIP
how does homogenization do it, whats the mechanism?

Stable blood sugar is required for a healthy life for sure. But that doesn't appear to be enough. I can do carnivore and get acne once I introduce butter for a couple of days.

are yall using high quality butter and milk,like A2, 100% grass fed etc

Is the hormones in the fat. I also break out from butter. Maybe it’s a liver problem and a healthy liver would be able to deal with an excess of them. Most people who break out from dairy have no problem with butter and the problem is casein, so I’d say our situation is a bit unusual. How do you react to zero fat dairy?
Personally low fat organic pasture raised goat milk kefir boiled to remove bacteria, warmed up to body temperature with turmeric, ginger and cinnamon added is the most agreeable but even that one gives me acne eventually. This form of dairy is low/predigested protein, low fat, no lactose and no bacteria so it’s a bit like calcium enriched water but still gives me hormonal effects

the acnegenic components in dairy are the prolactin, IGF-1 the androstenedione, and for some people estrogen/progesterone. I am prone to having the first three in excess and maybe dairy tips me over the edge hormonally. Someone who is supplementing a lot of thyroid will likely overcome this hormonal problem (would tank their prolactin at the very least) but I am too cautious to experiment with it due to the heart attack risks.

so whey should also work fine? and A2 milk? why/how does dairy contain prolactin. milk reduces prolactin for me, at least the times i had some nipple tenderness, drinking milk quickly eliminated it. calcium lowers prolactin iirc.

Dr. B

Acne is like male pattern baldness. I’m certain the solution to both is one and the same
how are those linked? do they usually occur together?
both seem to occur from high cortisol/cushings disease?

OP
J

JacobG

so whey should also work fine? and A2 milk? why/how does dairy contain prolactin. milk reduces prolactin for me, at least the times i had some nipple tenderness, drinking milk quickly eliminated it. calcium lowers prolactin iirc.
Yep, using highest quality A2 casein Swiss organic dairy.

mrchibbs

You resuming your consumption of dairy coincided with you starting to take thyroid as part of the peat protocol, no? The result was different this time because of your altered hormonal profile due to thyroid supplementation

It may have helped, but I think I started drinking milk for 1 year before I even touched a thyroid supplement.

I did focus on getting more nutrients rich foods and sunshine and learned about intestinal sensitivity, so those things were important factors.

ursidae

Actually I’m not entirely sure if it contains prolactin, I know prolactin in high quantities is meant to encourage lactation in animals, but not sure if it’s contained in their secretions. The casomorphin attaches to the opioid receptor and increases prolactin but I am blurry on that one as well. I think people with high prolactin are supposedly sensitive to/need to avoid opioids

Dr. B

Actually I’m not entirely sure if it contains prolactin, I know prolactin in high quantities is meant to encourage lactation in animals, but not sure if it’s contained in their secretions. The casomorphin attaches to the opioid receptor and increases prolactin but I am blurry on that one as well. I think people with high prolactin are supposedly sensitive to/need to avoid opioids
isnt the opioid issue a non issue for A2 milk i thought thats only A1 milk. so most animal milk, A2 milk is safe apparently

Dr. B

Not exactly life threatening side effects lol
yea I think squalene is a PUFA its just most foods you get, it makes up such a small percentage of the total fat. shark liver oil and olive oil are the only natural food sources that contain it i think.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals