Adult Acne. What The Hell Is Wrong With People Like Me?

OP
B

bohogirl

So I had another blood test done....
Tsh now at 2.8. But antibodies still high. Was at 4.5ish in August.

I've only taken thyroid half grain for about 20 days in November.

Now thinking that these ranges are meaningless.

Still wondering about iron and what these levels mean...serum is 150 and saturation at 56%. Uibc at 117. Not sure how to interpret these numbers.

Mito

Still wondering about iron and what these levels mean...serum is 150 and saturation at 56%. Uibc at 117. Not sure how to interpret these numbers.
You may want to listen to Chris Masterjohn's Managing Your Iron Status podcast or you can read the transcript here: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/01/27/need-manage-iron-status/

"On the full iron panel you want your transferrin saturation to be between 30% and 40%, probably your ferritin between 60 and 150 in American units."

"So what we could say is across the board you want transferrin saturation to be between 30% and 40%. The reference range will probably say between 20% and 50%. Between 30% and 40% is a more robust indicator of optimal status. Ferritin is going to have a very wide range, but in my opinion, you probably want your ferritin to be somewhere between 60 and 140 nanograms per milliliter. If you’re outside of the United States, you may have other units. For example, picomoles per liter, the values are slightly more than double than that."

OP
B

bohogirl

You may want to listen to Chris Masterjohn's Managing Your Iron Status podcast or you can read the transcript here: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/01/27/need-manage-iron-status/

"On the full iron panel you want your transferrin saturation to be between 30% and 40%, probably your ferritin between 60 and 150 in American units."

"So what we could say is across the board you want transferrin saturation to be between 30% and 40%. The reference range will probably say between 20% and 50%. Between 30% and 40% is a more robust indicator of optimal status. Ferritin is going to have a very wide range, but in my opinion, you probably want your ferritin to be somewhere between 60 and 140 nanograms per milliliter. If you’re outside of the United States, you may have other units. For example, picomoles per liter, the values are slightly more than double than that."

So here's the tests done...
Iron serum
Tibc
Uibc
Iron saturation
Ferritin

No transferrin

OP
B

bohogirl

Iron serum
Tibc
Uibc
Iron saturation
Ferritin

No transferrin, not sure if that's separate or what

Mito

Iron serum
Tibc
Uibc
Iron saturation
Ferritin

No transferrin, not sure if that's separate or what
Iron saturation is the same as transferrin saturation. You are at 55% which Masterjohn would consider high and indicative of iron overload. What was your Ferritin?

OP
B

bohogirl

Iron saturation is the same as transferrin saturation. You are at 55% which Masterjohn would consider high and indicative of iron overload. What was your Ferritin?

I just saw on life extension that transferrin is a separate test.

Are you sure they are the same?

Ferritin was 33 ng/ml

Reading the article trying to figure it out.

Mito

I just saw on life extension that transferrin is a separate test.
Are you sure they are the same?
You can calculate transferrin saturation to verify.
Transferrin -iron saturation percentage (TS%). A fasting serum iron and IBC are needed to calculate the transferrin-iron saturation percentage (TS%) Calculating TS%: Fasting* serum iron ÷ TIBC X 100%= transferrin-iron saturation percentage (TS%)
*Fasting is nothing by mouth (except water or prescribed medications) after midnight or at least 5 hours before tests.

Your Ferritin is normal and on the low end of the range. Iron serum and iron saturation are in the normal range but on the very high end. Masterjohn talked about iron saturation being a more sensitive indicator of iron status.

OP
B

bohogirl

So topically I am using povidone iodine.

I apply as much as I can daily. Sometimes three to four times, painting my face.

Seems to have shrunk my huge forehead pores and helping to shrink the acne. Still not as small as I want, but a definite change.

I still am eating iodized salt.

I'm eating bulgur regularly. I've had bread lately as well. Still eating oysters maybe once a week at the least.

I've gotten my period. No huge breakouts. maybe one pimple, now scabbed over, used tea tree oil after I didn't see much change with that one using the iodine. Could have been also from tortilla chips I ate. Who knows. Everything else that pops up (which is barley any) seems to shrink with the iodine and is very tiny compared to cysts I used to get before. This kind of acne is no big deal (okay all acne sucks but the difference from before I will take this over it any day)

Zero period cramps.

Lately I've been sleeping better than normal. Able to fall asleep earlier and stay asleep through the night. Still not as rested as I'd like though.

I had almonds today. Will see what happens tomorrow.

I now believe that my "diet" and my preconceived notions have harmed me. Unless you've tried it firsthand yourself, you never know what will work for you.

I've taken B5 maybe once in the past two weeks. That's the only other thing I take. I don't know if it does anything, will test it out to see more.

I've tried to do a sea salt bath at a normal temperature but I did have a panic attack the night I did it. But I believe ever since the iodine topical, no panic attack s

Last edited:

EIRE24

So topically I am using povidone iodine.

I apply as much as I can daily. Sometimes three to four times, painting my face.

Seems to have shrunk my huge forehead pores and helping to shrink the acne. Still not as small as I want, but a definite change.

I still am eating iodized salt.

I'm eating bulgur regularly. I've had bread lately as well. Still eating oysters maybe once a week at the least.

I've gotten my period. No huge breakouts. maybe one pimple, now scabbed over, used tea tree oil after I didn't see much change with that one using the iodine. Could have been also from tortilla chips I ate. Who knows. Everything else that pops up (which is barley any) seems to shrink with the iodine and is very tiny compared to cysts I used to get before. This kind of acne is no big deal (okay all acne sucks but the difference from before I will take this over it any day)

Zero period cramps.

Lately I've been sleeping better than normal. Able to fall asleep earlier and stay asleep through the night. Still not as rested as I'd like though.

I had almonds today. Will see what happens tomorrow.

I now believe that my "diet" and my preconceived notions have harmed me. Unless you've tried it firsthand yourself, you never know what will work for you.

I've taken B5 maybe once in the past two weeks. That's the only other thing I take. I don't know if it does anything, will test it out to see more.

I've tried to do a sea salt bath at a normal temperature but I did have a panic attack the night I did it. But I believe ever since the iodine topical, no panic attack s
Is it just topically or are you taking it orally too?

PhilParma

@bohogirl

You should try topical magnesium oil. Apply to the face, let sit for 15-60 minutes, rinse off. My face has been quite clear lately while doing this. It's a simple method at least, worth trying.

OP
B

bohogirl

@bohogirl

You should try topical magnesium oil. Apply to the face, let sit for 15-60 minutes, rinse off. My face has been quite clear lately while doing this. It's a simple method at least, worth trying.

I've tried magnesium before. I don't recall seeing a difference.

But I do believe things need to be in balance for stuff to work out.

Right now I'm getting tiny acne on my neck. Not a breakout or anything and there haven't t been new spots in awhile. I feel like it could be dermatitis.

Got one bigger cysts but it since has shrunk.

I've been trying to eat a ton of salt. I've been sleeping better and noticed the past fees days eating a ton of salt has shrank the bigger cyst.

The "acne" on my neck that I got is definitely not something I've had before, meaning I think it's either a detox reaction, or from using too much povodinr iodine. They're tiny and they really may just be dermatitis.

Kate

I am only 17
but, my skin really improved when I stopped eating a lot of flour... I get what you mean, the siblings in my family that eat unhealthy have better skin ;.;
I also started taking epsom salt baths, bentonite clay, and foods with more vitamins and minerals, staying on a diet were I ate almost the same things every day for a while (oranges, milk eggs etc.) (then when i integrated other foods it was easier to identify which ones i couldn't handle.)

Kate

I agree but my skin is dry and I also have acne and the sun and light seems to actually dry it out. I think sleep is also another important factor, makes a massive difference for me.
I agree, sleep can really help a lot :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals