Acne/hair Loss Problems. Very High DHT. What Can I Do?

blueorca

So it inhibits on the skin, but not in the body?
Probably both. The truth is im not 100% certain but based on my experiences i have noticed lower dht symptoms like less oily skin and acne. However there are many things that lower DHT since modern medicine believe its the cause of balding like saw palmetto and even coffee just google it. Also another approach for oily skin is salicylic acid face wash and zinc oxide sunscreen. The zinc oxide as a thin layer on face doesnt make it produce excess oil. But what about prolactin, have you checked that because it also causes those symptoms

OP
V

Victor Shaw

I think high serum calcium and low urine pH points to high PTH compensating for high phosphate. High phosphate means adrenals are overactive. I would read RP's article on phosphate, activation, aging. Increasing cortisol (via coffee, NoFap, sleeping less) and then acclimating to the increased stress hormones by slowing breathing will increase baseline CO2 tone, which is the main thing that controls phosphate.
I think you're right. Ray talks about other signs in the article (great as always, btw) that are present in my body, such as kidney calcification (kidney stones) and hypertension (although I think I didn't have it before taking finasteride).
The problem is: I've recently tried everything I could think of to fix calcification in my body: coffee, milk, fruits, aspirin, k2, d, cyproheptadine... Maybe it wasn't enough? I might try it more aggressively, using milk and dairy as my only protein sources.
Thanks for the help @lampofred, I really enjoy reading your posts.

Hi! I've been following Ray's work and researching on the forum for a little more than six months now, and changed my diet and lifestyle since then. I started my journey trying to understand the reasons behind my "hormonal imbalance", and the problems that came with it: acne and hair loss.
I've had acne since I was 13. The hair loss started when I was 18. I'm 22 today, and haven't been able to understand my problem yet.

One year ago, I did some blood tests trying to figure out what was wrong with my hormones. Here are the ones I think are the most important or were out of the range (range is in parenthesis):

Total testosterone: 507 ng/dL (175 ~ 781 ng/dL)
DHT: 2309 pg/mL (250 ~ 990 pg/mL) - Lab said they checked twice to confirm
Progesterone: 0,30 ng/mL (less than 0,20 ng/mL)

Estriol: less than 0,02 ng/mL (less than 0,15 ng/mL)
Estradiol: 20 pg/mL (less than 44 pg/mL)
Estrone: 157 pg/mL (13 ~ 149 pg/mL)
DHEA: 4,1 ng/mL (1,7 ~ 6,1 ng/mL)
SHBG: 33,4 nmol/L (13,2 ~ 89,5 nmol/L)
Free testosterone: 10,6 ng/dL (3,4 ~ 24,6 ng/dL)
Cortisol: 16,6 ug/dL (6,7 ~ 22,6 ug/dL)
LH: 3,74 mUI/mL (0,57 ~ 12,07 mUI/mL)
FSH: 6,59 mUI/mL (0,95 ~ 11,95 mUI/mL)
Total colesterol: 200 mg/dl (less than 190 mg/dl)
Vitamin D - 25-Hydroxy: 27,8 ng/mL (20 ~ 60 ng/mL)
TSH: 2,58 µUI/mL (0,34 ~ 5,60 µUI/mL)
Calcium: 10,7 mg/dL (8,6 ~ 10 mg/dL)
Urine PH: 5 (5,5 ~ 6.5)

I took the results to an endocrinologist. He diagnosed me with "classical MPB" and sent me home with a Finasteride 1 mg prescription, which I took for 6 months and stoped because it was turning me into a girl (gynecomastia, that I already had previously but milder, was growing a lot) and my sex drive and semen quality were very low. Hair and acne got better in that period tho.

I spent the last 6 months trying to figure out what is wrong. My diet is fine, only been eating more starch than I probably should (rice and potatoes). Milk makes my acne worse, so I only get 500mL a day with coffee. My hair is still getting worse everyday, and my skin is looking like ***t (painful cistic acne in the face and shoulders/back). I also tryed some supplements that were recommended in the forum, like taurine and niacinamide, but I didn't really felt any difference.

I didn't do lab tests again because they are very expensive, and I can't afford it right now. But I suppose my results would be the same as they were before fin.

The first thing I tryed was to correct a possible hyperparathyroidism (although I didn't test for PTH, D was low and calcium was high), supplementing vit D, K2 and eating a lot of calcium. I didn't feel any difference, but my skin got worse (probably because of the milk).
I also tryed to lower aromatase, with aspirin, coffee, estroban and everything I could fix in my diet to that regard. I didn't felt any differences.
My last hope is trying something related to the hormones, but I failed to figure out something that could help me in my situation. As you can see, DHT is very high. I have no idea why it is that high. Progesterone is also above the range, and so does estrone. What do you guys think I should try? I've thought about progesterone, but the fact that it is already above range desencourages me.

I'm only posting this here because every doctor I showed this results told me to take finasteride. And after failing for 6 months my only hope is that someone here has an idea about what I can try.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for any typos.
That’s before finasteride?

OP
V

Victor Shaw

It would be interesting to see what your at now.
The problem is that having those tests doesn't really help me. I have to lower estrogen, stress hormones, tsh.. but that's what peating is about, right?
Right now I'm just focusing on spending time in the sun, correcting my circadian rhythm and staying warm. My hair is still ***t, but at least I'm feeling good.

The problem is that having those tests doesn't really help me. I have to lower estrogen, stress hormones, tsh.. but that's what peating is about, right?
Right now I'm just focusing on spending time in the sun, correcting my circadian rhythm and staying warm. My hair is still ***t, but at least I'm feeling good.
Sunshine is crucial. I sleep so much better when I get an adequate amount. I was mainly intrigued because most people don’t have an idea of what their hormone levels were before taking 5 alpha reductase inhibitors. I understand they are expensive tests just curious is all. Also when it comes to hair I think Danny Roddy has a lot of good information.

OP
V

Victor Shaw

Sunshine is crucial. I sleep so much better when I get an adequate amount. I was mainly intrigued because most people don’t have an idea of what their hormone levels were before taking 5 alpha reductase inhibitors. I understand they are expensive tests just curious is all. Also when it comes to hair I think Danny Roddy has a lot of good information.
Yeah, I'm sleeping a lot earlier than before, and waking up feeling very well rested.

About Danny, although his ideas have helped me improve my health in some ways, they didn't help my hair. I think there is something specific in my body that isn't working the way it should, and that is causing the hair loss. Maybe the kidneys. I've had stones since I was a kid. Don't know how much damage they've done, and if it's affecting me somehow.

The truth is I'm just tired of trying. I've spent too much time and stressed too much about this. Time to let it go.

meatbag

Yeah, I'm sleeping a lot earlier than before, and waking up feeling very well rested.

About Danny, although his ideas have helped me improve my health in some ways, they didn't help my hair. I think there is something specific in my body that isn't working the way it should, and that is causing the hair loss. Maybe the kidneys. I've had stones since I was a kid. Don't know how much damage they've done, and if it's affecting me somehow.

The truth is I'm just tired of trying. I've spent too much time and stressed too much about this. Time to let it go.

Have you checked waking and before and after eating temperature and pulse.
Your TSH is slightly elevated, vitamin d is low as well
--
Prostaglandin Derivative Is High In Both Baldness And Acne
Acne At An Age Older Than 25 May Be A Sign Of Systemic Disease
Acne Is Likely Caused By Estrogen, NOT Androgens
--
Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki
"Vitamin A affects the differentiation of skin cells, the production of steroids, and resistance to infection and inflammation. The great increase in formation of the sex steroids at puberty increases the need for vitamin A, and makes its regulatory actions more important. Thyroid's important functions for the skin are the production of steroids and preventing their imbalance, and maintaining the immune function and production of sebum. Other nutritional deficiencies, especially the balance between vitamin E and unsaturated fats, affect the functions of vitamin A and thyroid, so it's important to include foods like liver, eggs, oysters, fruits, and milk in the diet. Sometimes it's easier just to use Benadryl or minocycline to reduce the inflammation and infection."
<-- found this to be true for myself

zarrin77

I mean, many of your symptoms point to too much calcium in the bloodstream.

I’d suggest having a high clacium intake from dairy and maybe extra calcium carbonate (to lower parathyroid and 1,25 vitmain D - the active form). Lactose also helps to lower parathyroid hormone.

I’d suggest high dose magnesium (supplementing multiple times a day) and vitamin K2 MK4 along with the calcium to prevent calcification of soft tissues and reduce kidney stone risk. Malic acid as a supplement can also prevent the calcium from making stones, and is a very cheap supplement at a few grams a day.

Then, borage oil (5-alpha reductace inhibitor), saw palmetto, and virgin coconut oil (weak 5-alpha reductase inhibitor) would be good additions. I know borage oil isn’t going to be popular here but this is for a specific purpose in this case.

Eating glycine has anecdotally helped stop / slow some people’s hair loss, and a caffeine / aspirin shampoo might help as well.

Gypsumking

So did you have any progress or success since...??

Brandin

Hi! I've been following Ray's work and researching on the forum for a little more than six months now, and changed my diet and lifestyle since then. I started my journey trying to understand the reasons behind my "hormonal imbalance", and the problems that came with it: acne and hair loss.
I've had acne since I was 13. The hair loss started when I was 18. I'm 22 today, and haven't been able to understand my problem yet.

One year ago, I did some blood tests trying to figure out what was wrong with my hormones. Here are the ones I think are the most important or were out of the range (range is in parenthesis):

Total testosterone: 507 ng/dL (175 ~ 781 ng/dL)
DHT: 2309 pg/mL (250 ~ 990 pg/mL) - Lab said they checked twice to confirm
Progesterone: 0,30 ng/mL (less than 0,20 ng/mL)

Estriol: less than 0,02 ng/mL (less than 0,15 ng/mL)
Estradiol: 20 pg/mL (less than 44 pg/mL)
Estrone: 157 pg/mL (13 ~ 149 pg/mL)
DHEA: 4,1 ng/mL (1,7 ~ 6,1 ng/mL)
SHBG: 33,4 nmol/L (13,2 ~ 89,5 nmol/L)
Free testosterone: 10,6 ng/dL (3,4 ~ 24,6 ng/dL)
Cortisol: 16,6 ug/dL (6,7 ~ 22,6 ug/dL)
LH: 3,74 mUI/mL (0,57 ~ 12,07 mUI/mL)
FSH: 6,59 mUI/mL (0,95 ~ 11,95 mUI/mL)
Total colesterol: 200 mg/dl (less than 190 mg/dl)
Vitamin D - 25-Hydroxy: 27,8 ng/mL (20 ~ 60 ng/mL)
TSH: 2,58 µUI/mL (0,34 ~ 5,60 µUI/mL)
Calcium: 10,7 mg/dL (8,6 ~ 10 mg/dL)
Urine PH: 5 (5,5 ~ 6.5)

I took the results to an endocrinologist. He diagnosed me with "classical MPB" and sent me home with a Finasteride 1 mg prescription, which I took for 6 months and stoped because it was turning me into a girl (gynecomastia, that I already had previously but milder, was growing a lot) and my sex drive and semen quality were very low. Hair and acne got better in that period tho.

I spent the last 6 months trying to figure out what is wrong. My diet is fine, only been eating more starch than I probably should (rice and potatoes). Milk makes my acne worse, so I only get 500mL a day with coffee. My hair is still getting worse everyday, and my skin is looking like ***t (painful cistic acne in the face and shoulders/back). I also tryed some supplements that were recommended in the forum, like taurine and niacinamide, but I didn't really felt any difference.

I didn't do lab tests again because they are very expensive, and I can't afford it right now. But I suppose my results would be the same as they were before fin.

The first thing I tryed was to correct a possible hyperparathyroidism (although I didn't test for PTH, D was low and calcium was high), supplementing vit D, K2 and eating a lot of calcium. I didn't feel any difference, but my skin got worse (probably because of the milk).
I also tryed to lower aromatase, with aspirin, coffee, estroban and everything I could fix in my diet to that regard. I didn't felt any differences.
My last hope is trying something related to the hormones, but I failed to figure out something that could help me in my situation. As you can see, DHT is very high. I have no idea why it is that high. Progesterone is also above the range, and so does estrone. What do you guys think I should try? I've thought about progesterone, but the fact that it is already above range desencourages me.

I'm only posting this here because every doctor I showed this results told me to take finasteride. And after failing for 6 months my only hope is that someone here has an idea about what I can try.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for any typos.
Dht causes hairloss in a very stressed hypogonadal hyperadrenal state. Your hormonal state looks like a stressfullstate where your body is trying to compensate by increasing dht. Now most would lower the dht but that would lead to horrible health since that is literally what is trying to protect you. Lowering stress increasing glucose utilization and lowering estrogen will stop the hairloss and make your biology insanely hairpromoting. It will also have been done in the healthy way and you will feel awesome and become way more healthy.

golder

Dht causes hairloss in a very stressed hypogonadal hyperadrenal state. Your hormonal state looks like a stressfullstate where your body is trying to compensate by increasing dht. Now most would lower the dht but that would lead to horrible health since that is literally what is trying to protect you. Lowering stress increasing glucose utilization and lowering estrogen will stop the hairloss and make your biology insanely hairpromoting. It will also have been done in the healthy way and you will feel awesome and become way more healthy.
What do you think are the lowest hanging fruit that will help him increase glucose oxidation/lower estrogen?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals