Low Body Temp, Low Appetite, Low Libido

Jstar

Been trying to deal with this low body temperature, hypothyroid issue, for a while.

My blood test numbers seem to be in range (for thyroid and libido) but something is wrong, starting with low body temperature (around 97.0) and high cholesterol, which I believe is a result of low thyroid. Libido has been low for years but lately it is near zero, even though Free Testosterone is within range. I’m 65, 150 lbs. Since I’m not hungry I don’t eat breakfast, and my calorie intake is on the low side. Low PUFA diet. Been taking 1 grain of Thyroid-S but not sure if that is working. Lately changed to two grains per day (and just ordered Tyromax). Of note, my TSH two years ago was 0.137 (very low) but is now up to 4.55. Any insights into what is going on and what can be done to raise body temp would be greatly appreciated.

Testosterone, Free, S. 12.0 ng/dL. 3.47 to 13.0 ng/dL
Testosterone, Total, S. 632 ng/dL. 240 to 950 ng/dL
Thyroperoxidase Ab, S. 1.2 IU/mL
Dihydrotestosterone. 608 pg/mL. 112 - 955 pg/mL

T3, Free. 4.0. 2.8-4.4. pg/mL
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody. 1.2. < 9.0 IU/mL
T4, Free. 1.06. .78 - 2.19. ng/dL
TSH. 4.55. 0.465-4.680 ng/dL (2 years ago my TSH was 0.137)

Triglycerides 105 mg/dL. < 200
Cholesterol 315 mg/dL. <200
LDL 241 mg/dL. < 100
HDL. 52 mg/dL. > 40
Non HDL Cho. 262 mg/dL. 60-100 md/dL

Bilirubin. 0.9 mg/dL. 0.1 - 1.3. mg/dL

Peatful

Your appetite is blunted due to cortisol.

Cortisol is high because it’s trying to keep your blood sugar steady.

Cortisol high equals thyroid low or hypothyroidism.

It’s a cascade effect.

You have to eat to become well again.
To feel well again.

I would start with small balanced meals. Mini meals. Every three hours.
40/30/30 c/p/f

This is just a gross assessment from your data above.
May not be 100 percent accurate
But the basic principles are there for healing.

Food as medicine.

You’re terribly hypo.
And taking thyroid medication with an empty gas tank is not helping you at all.
As you see by your labs and how you feel.

OP
J

Jstar

Yes, blood sugar could also be a factor as my blood sugar tends to be high and I am likely insulin resistant.

brix

Your appetite is blunted due to cortisol.

Cortisol is high because it’s trying to keep your blood sugar steady.

Cortisol high equals thyroid low or hypothyroidism.

It’s a cascade effect.

You have to eat to become well again.
To feel well again.

I would start with small balanced meals. Mini meals. Every three hours.
40/30/30 c/p/f

This is just a gross assessment from your data above.
May not be 100 percent accurate
But the basic principles are there for healing.

Food as medicine.

You’re terribly hypo.
And taking thyroid medication with an empty gas tank is not helping you at all.
As you see by your labs and how you feel.
His T3 is upper range. I have similar bloods and symptoms and still haven’t figured it out. Cortisol was within range. High T3 low T4 high TSH

LadyRae

Been trying to deal with this low body temperature, hypothyroid issue, for a while.

My blood test numbers seem to be in range (for thyroid and libido) but something is wrong, starting with low body temperature (around 97.0) and high cholesterol, which I believe is a result of low thyroid. Libido has been low for years but lately it is near zero, even though Free Testosterone is within range. I’m 65, 150 lbs. Since I’m not hungry I don’t eat breakfast, and my calorie intake is on the low side. Low PUFA diet. Been taking 1 grain of Thyroid-S but not sure if that is working. Lately changed to two grains per day (and just ordered Tyromax). Of note, my TSH two years ago was 0.137 (very low) but is now up to 4.55. Any insights into what is going on and what can be done to raise body temp would be greatly appreciated.

Testosterone, Free, S. 12.0 ng/dL. 3.47 to 13.0 ng/dL
Testosterone, Total, S. 632 ng/dL. 240 to 950 ng/dL
Thyroperoxidase Ab, S. 1.2 IU/mL
Dihydrotestosterone. 608 pg/mL. 112 - 955 pg/mL

T3, Free. 4.0. 2.8-4.4. pg/mL
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody. 1.2. < 9.0 IU/mL
T4, Free. 1.06. .78 - 2.19. ng/dL
TSH. 4.55. 0.465-4.680 ng/dL (2 years ago my TSH was 0.137)

Triglycerides 105 mg/dL. < 200
Cholesterol 315 mg/dL. <200
LDL 241 mg/dL. < 100
HDL. 52 mg/dL. > 40
Non HDL Cho. 262 mg/dL. 60-100 md/dL

Bilirubin. 0.9 mg/dL. 0.1 - 1.3. mg/dL
Yes, mini meals as @Peatful says... Take a 10-15 minute leisurely walk after meals... And since you are familiar with ordering through Idealabs, I would recommend Diamant to lower cortisol

Energizer

The best way to increase your temperature is thyroid, but the most reliable thyroid products are Cynoplus and Cynomel (that I'm aware of). I would not bother with the other ones personally. Farmacia Del Nino has the cheapest prices. You could start with a quarter tablet of Cynoplus and watch your symptoms to see if you can get your temperature/pulse up to normal.

From the Wiki, Ray Peat's advice: Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

Starting Thyroid Supplementation​

Sometimes it takes many months to get the metabolic rate stable at a higher level, and it's often necessary to use a thyroid supplement.

Thyroid is the only thing that safely lowers cholesterol, but when your stress hormones are very high, you shouldn't take more than about one microgram of Cytomel at a time, and should accompany it with things like milk and orange juice.

With your TSH so high, you should probably add a thyroid supplement, until you get it down to about 1.0, or less. (The normal range, according to the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, is from 0.3 to 3.0.)

A starting dose of about 1 mcg can produce a noticeable effect, and can be repeated at intervals according to the effect. 5 mcg with a meal is another way to start it. Thyroid tends to lower cholesterol by converting it into pregnenolone and other steroids, and yours is high enough to easily improve your steroid hormone balance.

Cynoplus (www.farmaciadelnino.com has a good price) is cheaper than Armour, and an eighth to a fourth of a tablet would be a reasonable amount to start with; thyroxine's half-life in the body is two weeks, so the effect is cumulative, and if you get the desired effects in less than two weeks the dose should probably be reduced.

At the beginning, once a day, but if your temperature and pulse and symptoms aren't just right after two weeks you could add another dose at a different time of day. Change of seasons affects the amount of thyroid you need, sometimes it isn't needed after using it for a while, but it's always good to watch for signs of change.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals