My Blood Tests Results. Some Of The Results Seem Contradicting

Tyler2834

Took my blood test fasted in the morning.

Notable Results:

Glucose, Serum: 96 mg/dl (65-99)
BUN: 22 mg/dl (6-20) - HIGH
LDH: 248 IU/L (121-224) - HIGH

AST (SGOT):
57 IU/L (0-40) - HIGH
Cholesterol, Total: 242 mg/dl (100-199) - HIGH
Triglycerides: 36 mg/dl (0-149)
LDL: 125 mg/dl (0-99) - HIGH
HDL: 110 mg/dl (>39)

Total Testosterone: 473 ng/dl (348-1197)
Free Testosterone: 15.7 pg/mL (9.3-26.5)
Pregnenolone: 177 ng/dl (<151)
DHT: 35 ng/dl (30-85)
Free T4: 1.00 ng/dl (.82-1.77)
Free T3: 2.4 ng/ml (2.0-4.4)
DHEA Sulfate: 325 ug/dl (164-531)
Cortisol: 31 ug/dl (6.2-19.4) - HIGH
TSH: 1.79 uIU/mL (.45-4.500)
Estradiol: 17.1 pg/ml (7.6-42.6)
SHGB: 54.4 nmol/L (16.5-56)

Personal Information:

Height: 6 Ft
Weight: 150 pounds
BF: 9%

Summary:

My cortisol is extremely high yet my estrogen is relatively low. However although Total T is low, my free T conversion is pretty good despite my high cortisol. I also have relatively high SHGB, and low DHT (this is probably why my sex drive is low, my voice isn't deep and I have little body/facial hair. Additionally, my Pregnenolone is very high but based off what I just said and my relatively low thyroid levels (T3 and T4) doesn't this seem contradictory? Especially with high SHBG shouldn't my thyroid levels by higher?

Also, I've been listening to Danny Roddy's podcast and they mention LDH in epsiode #11 and mine is really high which isn't good. The podcast also mentions that HDL is actually bad? That is high as well. not sure what high BUN and AST signified.

Based off my blood results and based off the fact that I'm in lean athletics shape, what should I do diet wise (where should I start) to optimize my thyroid and testosterone?

Kessry

Well @ 5'7" 150lbs my Cortisol levels were also at similar levels, and my testosterone levels were a bit lower. The cure seems to have been eating more. My body didn't like feeling starved.

9% body fat based on calipers? bio-impedence? dunk test? DEXA?

I was at <7% BF, DEXA verified.

OP
Tyler2834

Tyler2834

Well @ 5'7" 150lbs my Cortisol levels were also at similar levels, and my testosterone levels were a bit lower. The cure seems to have been eating more. My body didn't like feeling starved.

9% body fat based on calipers? bio-impedence? dunk test? DEXA?

I was at <7% BF, DEXA verified.

I'm just estimating. See Pic attached

Attachments

• Body Pic 2.jpg
    Body Pic 2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 171

docall18

Well what is your diet like? Are you following Peats guidelines - Milk, OJ, Fruit, Liver, No PUFA?

OP
Tyler2834

Tyler2834

Well what is your diet like? Are you following Peats guidelines - Milk, OJ, Fruit, Liver, No PUFA?

At the time of my blood test I was following Carb Backloading by John Kiefer and my diet was essentially avoiding carbs (<30 net carbs until dinner), and prioritizing saturated fats and mono and keeping PUFA low. Also, I was avoiding fructose almost entirely because that's what the protocol said to do. So it was primarily starches for carbs. I followed this approach for 2-3 years. Here is a basic day for me.

Wake Up have lemon water with sea salt

Fast until lunch (5-7 hours after waking up)
- Durning fast have black coffee and water only

Lunch

Salad (spinach, green pepper, mushroom, avocado, 3 hard-boiled eggs) with 40z shrimp cooked in coconut oil
1 Brazil Nut and some Macadamia Nuts

Dinner

6-8 oz of Beef or Chicken, 600-800 grams Potatoes with butter (Both Russett and Sweet Potatoes) + Broccoli and Beets with butter

Late

Usually something sweet like gelato or organic milk chocolate, and honey

Now after the blood test I started reading about RAy Piet and since then I've made two additions to my diet while keeping everything else the same.

Added 8-12 oz of orange juice with my first meal.

Added 2-3 servings of fruit with my dinner.

So, im eager to see if they will help me. My body temperature has gotten better. Before my blood test I would get extremely cold before and after my first meal, purple hands and lips. Since adding the OJ and more salt, i don't nearly get as cold.

docall18

Well you have high cortisol (adrenaline is likely very high also), which will cause low testosterone. Your Total T is pathetic for someone your age.

The obvious reason for that is your diet. You need a large breakfast first thing in the morning. This lowers cortisol that increases during the night. Breakfast should include plenty of carbs (ie. OJ & fruit) and a little protein.

So, I would start taking breakfast. Dont fast, as this increases cortisol.
Coffee should be taken after a meal, not on its own. Also take coffee with plenty of sugar & milk. Otherwise it will increase cortisol.
Your lunch is too heavily balanced towards protein and not enough carbs. This will increase cortisol.

An easy starting point would be to add 2 liters of OJ and 2L of Milk to your diet. This will reduce cortisol and increase your testosterone.

I was ripped on a high protein diet, however it was mainly due to sky high adrenaline.

OP
Tyler2834

Tyler2834

Well you have high cortisol (adrenaline is likely very high also), which will cause low testosterone. Your Total T is pathetic for someone your age.

The obvious reason for that is your diet. You need a large breakfast first thing in the morning. This lowers cortisol that increases during the night. Breakfast should include plenty of carbs (ie. OJ & fruit) and a little protein.

Coffee should be taken after a meal, not on its own. Also take coffee with plenty of sugar & milk. Otherwise it will increase cortisol.
Your lunch is too heavily balanced towards protein and not enough carbs. This will increase cortisol.

An easy starting point would be to add 2 liters of OJ and 2L of Milk to your diet. This will reduce cortisol and increase your testosterone.

I was ripped on a high protein diet, however it was mainly due to sky high adrenaline.

So you're telling me I want to increase insulin in the morning when cortisol is naturally high? This seems like an environment for fat gain, no?

Pointless

So you're telling me I want to increase insulin in the morning when cortisol is naturally high? This seems like an environment for fat gain, no?

I agree with docall18. I would echo everything he says. Stop abusing your body with caffeine in a fasted state. It can only go on for so long, and your labs are already starting to reflect the internal stress that you're putting yourself through. The cold hands and feet, to the point of turning purple, are a very bad sign. If you're worried about weight gain, you can avoid eating any fat before noon. That sounds reasonable.

OP
Tyler2834

Tyler2834

Ok I'll try adding in more fructose to my diet and see if that helps.

AT what points during the day should I measure my heart rate and body temperature?

TheHound

looks like a pretty stressful diet to me. not eating for quite a few hours after waking up and having black coffee on an empty stomach when glycogen is low and stress hormones are already high. then you go ahead and have your first meal which is 3 eggs with practically zero carbs to support them and nuts too.

saw the last point where you added OJ to your first meal, keep that up

Koveras

Don't necessarily disagree, but let's make sure not to confuse 'health' with 'low body fat'. Chasing the latter too much could cause reductions in the former.

Elevated LDH could be related to the regular fasting and carb back loading causing a greater reliance on fat oxidation during the majority of the day. Greater reliance on fat oxidation leading to increased lactate production (Pyruvate is reduced to lactate, via LDH, when the PDH complex is inhibited as in when fats are burnt excessively).

The suggestions already mentioned, increased meal frequency / regular meals, including regular carbohydrates should help.

Once liver glycogen is maintained more fully, and fat oxidation reduced, thyroid function / temperatures / pulse may improve.

Pointless

Ok I'll try adding in more fructose to my diet and see if that helps.

AT what points during the day should I measure my heart rate and body temperature?

As soon as you wake up and after breakfast are two important times. If you're going to be monitoring your heart rate and body temperature, it might be good to take it throughout the day and make a note about how certain foods or activities can affect your temp. Maybe you pigged out on ice cream, and your temp was up .4 degrees F over last night at the same time. Or you stayed up late. Or you had a rough day at work. Then you can create an overall picture of how your metabolism changes throughout the day.

OP
Tyler2834

Tyler2834

Don't necessarily disagree, but let's make sure not to confuse 'health' with 'low body fat'. Chasing the latter too much could cause reductions in the former.

Elevated LDH could be related to the regular fasting and carb back loading causing a greater reliance on fat oxidation during the majority of the day. Greater reliance on fat oxidation leading to increased lactate production (Pyruvate is reduced to lactate, via LDH, when the PDH complex is inhibited as in when fats are burnt excessively).

The suggestions already mentioned, increased meal frequency / regular meals, including regular carbohydrates should help.

Once liver glycogen is maintained more fully, and fat oxidation reduced, thyroid function / temperatures / pulse may improve.

I've added 12 oz of orange juice with my first meal. I'm hoping that will help.

OP
Tyler2834

Tyler2834

What i forgot to mention is that I was chewing a lot of nicotine gum to get over my addiction of smokeless tobacco. I was probably having 20-30 mg per day for a month, could that have effected these results (AST, LDH and BUN)

OP
Tyler2834

Tyler2834

Guys I'm not sure if you heard of Reset Yourself. Its a micro-nutrient analysis done by taking a hair sample. I got my results and was wondering if any of you guys have taken this test or have any input.

Attached are my results

Here is what I gathered from my phone call with them:

I am sympathetic dominance and a slow oxidizer and have sluggish liver and adrenals

Basically the 4 core nutrients Calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium are really low. Apparently even though I eat the right amounts of foods, I have so much internal stress that I’m low on micronutrients. She goes, "your brain is going a million miles per hour". My internal stress is leading to a slow liver which is leading to bad hormones.. So the fix isn’t to eat more of what I’m deficient in, it is to lower internal stress. She also says that my immune system is so strong that it allowed me to keep going with all this stress without noticing it. So my immune system strength is bitter sweet to say the least. Surprisingly, my metals were mostly on the lower side. Aluminum is my highest.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 2.44.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 2.44.59 PM.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 2.45.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 2.45.06 PM.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 2.45.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 2.45.18 PM.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
Tyler2834

Tyler2834

Here is my actual program design sheet

Attachments

• Page 1.png
    Page 1.png
    50 KB · Views: 56
  • Page 2.png
    Page 2.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Page 3.png
    Page 3.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 58
  • PAge 4.png
    PAge 4.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 56
  • page 5.png
    page 5.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 53
  • page 6.png
    page 6.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 51
  • page 7.png
    page 7.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 52
  • page 8.png
    page 8.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 45

I think you got the nail on the head here.

@Tyler2834 have you seen improvements? I have a similar hormonal profile to yours and think it’s because we have similar habits/lifestyle. I’m very intrigued because I have a bad habit of reaching for the coffee pot first thing in the morning without eating anything

Beefcake

Took my blood test fasted in the morning.

Notable Results:

Glucose, Serum: 96 mg/dl (65-99)
BUN: 22 mg/dl (6-20) - HIGH
LDH: 248 IU/L (121-224) - HIGH

AST (SGOT):
57 IU/L (0-40) - HIGH
Cholesterol, Total: 242 mg/dl (100-199) - HIGH
Triglycerides: 36 mg/dl (0-149)
LDL: 125 mg/dl (0-99) - HIGH
HDL: 110 mg/dl (>39)

Total Testosterone: 473 ng/dl (348-1197)
Free Testosterone: 15.7 pg/mL (9.3-26.5)
Pregnenolone: 177 ng/dl (<151)
DHT: 35 ng/dl (30-85)
Free T4: 1.00 ng/dl (.82-1.77)
Free T3: 2.4 ng/ml (2.0-4.4)
DHEA Sulfate: 325 ug/dl (164-531)
Cortisol: 31 ug/dl (6.2-19.4) - HIGH
TSH: 1.79 uIU/mL (.45-4.500)
Estradiol: 17.1 pg/ml (7.6-42.6)
SHGB: 54.4 nmol/L (16.5-56)

Personal Information:

Height: 6 Ft
Weight: 150 pounds
BF: 9%

Summary:

My cortisol is extremely high yet my estrogen is relatively low. However although Total T is low, my free T conversion is pretty good despite my high cortisol. I also have relatively high SHGB, and low DHT (this is probably why my sex drive is low, my voice isn't deep and I have little body/facial hair. Additionally, my Pregnenolone is very high but based off what I just said and my relatively low thyroid levels (T3 and T4) doesn't this seem contradictory? Especially with high SHBG shouldn't my thyroid levels by higher?

Also, I've been listening to Danny Roddy's podcast and they mention LDH in epsiode #11 and mine is really high which isn't good. The podcast also mentions that HDL is actually bad? That is high as well. not sure what high BUN and AST signified.

Based off my blood results and based off the fact that I'm in lean athletics shape, what should I do diet wise (where should I start) to optimize my thyroid and testosterone?

You exercise daily? How intense and how long is your exercise program? If that ripped body is you 9% I can promise you that the problem is that you are under eating and working out to hard. Under 10-12% body is a stress for everybody. I understand that you want to stay lean and cut but there’s no way you can have good testosterone levels staying that lean and cut. Its a stress for the body which drives up your cortisol and that increases your SHBG. You likely also have high prolactin. How many calories per day do you eat? I’ve been in the exact same situation as you I can help you out.
You are young and just by some diet changes and maybe reducing your exercise program youll be back to normal within 2 weeks. Eat more work out less is the answer.