Adult Acne. What The Hell Is Wrong With People Like Me?

PakPik

The synthesis of inflammatory chemoattractant leukotriene B4 increases as lipoxygenase increases, resulting in recruiting neutrophils to generate more ROS. Inhibition of this process will improve acne
Anti-inflammatory ability, anti-microbial activity against P acnes and a potential to reduce sebum production
There's truth to this. A while back I came across papers stating a connection between skin problems and mast cell activation and oxidative stress, and all of that is exacerbated by bugs. I started suffering from dermatitis, acne, scaliness, etc, since a few years ago and neither diet nor supplements have helped significantly. So out of curiosity, without too many expectations, I put the mast cell and oxidative stress theory to test. I made my own cream containing a 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor (because 5-LOX is one of the main non-mitochondrial sources of ROS and generates leukotrienes), a mast cell activation/degranulation inhibitor and an antimcrobial. After a few days of my cream treatment, my skin was better than ever, dermatitis and itchy patches gone, pores normalized, acne gone, even tone, silkiness, porcelain texture, great elasticity, so much so people started commenting on my skin! It's impressive.

The connection with mast cells is that these are abundant in the skin and they can get activated or degranulated under chronic stress conditions. The factors they produce have been shown to play key roles in increased sebum production and/or promote proliferation of sebaceous glands, vasodilation, proliferation of nerve fibers in the skin that add to increased sensitivity, besides producing factors that increase oxidative stress.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

EIRE24

There's truth to this. A while back I came across papers stating a connection between skin problems and mast cell activation and oxidative stress, and all of that is exacerbated by bugs. I started suffering from dermatitis, acne, scaliness, etc, since a few years ago and neither diet nor supplements have helped significantly. So out of curiosity, without too many expectations, I put the mast cell and oxidative stress theory to test. I made my own cream containing a 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor (because leukotrienes are one of the main non-mitochondrial sources of ROS), a mast cell activation/degranulation inhibitor and an antimcrobial. After a few days of my cream treatment, my skin was better than ever, dermatitis and itchy patches gone, pores normalized, acne gone, even tone, silkiness, porcelain texture, great elasticity, so much so people started commenting on my skin!

The connection with mast cells is that these are abundant in the skin and they can get activated or degranulated under chronic stress conditions. The factors they produce have been shown to play key roles in increased sebum production and/or promote proliferation of sebaceous glands, vasodilation, proliferation of nerve fibers in the skin that add to increased sensitivity, besides producing factors that increase oxidative stress.

Thanks for sharing!
So how do you suggest someone with acne would make such a cream?

Orion

There's truth to this. A while back I came across papers stating a connection between skin problems and mast cell activation and oxidative stress, and all of that is exacerbated by bugs. I started suffering from dermatitis, acne, scaliness, etc, since a few years ago and neither diet nor supplements have helped significantly. So out of curiosity, without too many expectations, I put the mast cell and oxidative stress theory to test. I made my own cream containing a 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor (because leukotrienes are one of the main non-mitochondrial sources of ROS), a mast cell activation/degranulation inhibitor and an antimcrobial. After a few days of my cream treatment, my skin was better than ever, dermatitis and itchy patches gone, pores normalized, acne gone, even tone, silkiness, porcelain texture, great elasticity, so much so people started commenting on my skin! It's impressive.

Thanks for sharing!

"5-lipoxygenase (5-LO) pathway is the major source of potent proinflammatory leukotrienes (LTs) issued from the metabolism of arachidonic acid (AA)"

Sounds like another good reason to deplete PUFA or eat low PUFA foods.

OP
B

bohogirl

I'm going to try 6 oysters each day for a week and see what effects it has. I've been eating them here and there. I had 6 yesterday and already see one of my big cysts shrinking.

If I can control my
My period should be coming soon and praying for no new breakouts.

I actually really enjoy eating them now. I eat with lemon juice raw.

I've had liver a couple times but it's become so nasty I don't know how I'm going to continue eating it.

Maybe I don't need more vitamin A?

It's going to be sunny for the next week so hoping I can catch some vitamin D.

I had what I believe is low blood sugar again last night. Wasn't too bad but woke up around 12am confused and went to drink glasses of orange juice. I slept before 12am and of course that's what normally happens when I do. I need to focus on getting enough sugar.

InChristAlone

The 12am awakening is when adrenaline peaks. You should be able to go to sleep early without that waking. I go to sleep by 11 and don't have any more panic attacks during the night. I tape my mouth shut and thats been the largest factor besides cyproheptadine.

OP
B

bohogirl

The 12am awakening is when adrenaline peaks. You should be able to go to sleep early without that waking. I go to sleep by 11 and don't have any more panic attacks during the night. I tape my mouth shut and thats been the largest factor besides cyproheptadine.

I'm struggling to find good tape. I tried a sensitive type tape and it's still too rough.

InChristAlone

I use a soft athletic tape. Yeah I wouldn't like just any old tape.

OP
B

bohogirl

It seems like I got two new cysts, prob from before my period. Sucks because I didn't use to get period breakouts.

Feeling pretty hopeless again. Skin looking horrible. Texture, pores, everything. Don't know if it can get any worse.

Still dry.

Gonna do a thyroid blood test just to see what my levels are (last test Was Aug '16) and try to find a doc who doesn't charge $300 a session and that prescribes t3.

Last edited:
OP
B

bohogirl

I got some new tape. It's Kroger waterproof tape I believe if anyone is looking for one. Best one I've found so far. The brand name version of the waterproof tape was way too sticky and hurt when I take it off.

I have been waiting til 12 to sleep because I'm having problems again.

Still dry in some areas on my face. My skin looks horrible.

I'm very tired of this, I'm emotionally drained from it. I don't want to make decisions anymore.

I'm going on vacation soon, going to stick to a very basic diet.

I feel like a kid in the first grade that has a gluten, sugar, and dairy allergy, and it's someones birthday.

If I could be clear and have to stick to a strict diet, okay, but its like I don't even know what to eat anymore. I don't know what breaks me out. I don't know what's causing me to break out, if it's the food or just hormones before my period.

tara

I'm struggling to find good tape. I tried a sensitive type tape and it's still too rough.
HAve you tried smearing butter or cocoa butter or other grease on your lips before putting the tape on? That's what I did to prevent it pulling skin off when I removed it in the morning.

Yes I believe it's some sort of athletic tape.
I used a thin papery tape.

If you can't get that to work, a chin strap is another alternative.

ilovethesea

I emailed Ray. He said D supplement and calcium would help, thyroid supplement, eat carrots/mushrooms/bamboo and suggested progesterone cream.

Could you please post his response? There is a Ray Peat advice depository on the forum to collect these tidbits of information from private emails, in order to help more people. Thank you!

ilovethesea

Well the obvious, I assume, would be reduced local androgens and possibly systemically as well.. (i.e progesterone being chief inhibitor of 5-ar).

As far as another mechanism, I'm not quite sure.

I don't even wash my face often at all. I will sort of pre-wash it with water only before applying the progesterone cream...

Have you seen this re: androgens and acne? Acne Is Likely Caused By Estrogen, NOT Androgens

ilovethesea

I want to try progesterone and also thyroid again. A bit hesitant though.

Can progesterone cream give you acne?

I'm wondering if anyone has a clue as to why thyroid meds would cause painful acne before my period. I started taking Naturethroid in November. I stopped taking it November 20-25th, can't exactly remember when, I can count the pills I have left to know for sure. I got my period November 25th and didn't experience any before period painful breakouts. The next month, I got my period on December 23rd, and a bit before then is when I got painful cystic huge acne that left bigger than normal scars. I never experienced before period acne nor has my cystic acne ever been painful/sore. Only food triggers.

So I don't know if the actual medicine caused my acne or me abruptly stopping?

A lot of posts on the internet state that Synthroid/Levothyroxine gave people acne.

I'm not too knowledgeable about hormones, still learning.

I don't think progesterone itself can cause acne, but whatever it is dissolved in can - eg. vitamin E or certain oils can be clogging.

Thyroid improves acne. You stopped and started your dosing and only took it for a short time, so the acne may have been from such wild swings in your hormones. You're really not meant to do that with thyroid - it's not a dangerous drug but it's still hormones that you are messing around with. Slow and steady wins the race. It takes two months for the T4 to even build up in your tissues to reach its full effects. So you quit before it even had a chance to work.

The only other way thyroid could "cause" acne is because it raised your vitamin A needs. When you increase your metabolism you need more nutrition. Vitamin A keeps skin clear.

Synthroid and Levo are T4 only medications. Unless you are young and have a very healthy liver, it's hard to cure hypothyroidism from T4 alone - even harder for women with our higher estrogen. Most people need some active thyroid hormone T3. Also, long term T4 treatment can make hypothyroidism worse. Ray has lots of info on this if you search FunctionalPS.

So yes, people on T4 only treatment are still hypothyroid - and we know low thyroid is one of the main root causes of acne.

EIRE24

I don't think progesterone itself can cause acne, but whatever it is dissolved in can - eg. vitamin E or certain oils can be clogging.

Thyroid improves acne. You stopped and started your dosing and only took it for a short time, so the acne may have been from such wild swings in your hormones. You're really not meant to do that with thyroid - it's not a dangerous drug but it's still hormones that you are messing around with. Slow and steady wins the race. It takes two months for the T4 to even build up in your tissues to reach its full effects. So you quit before it even had a chance to work.

The only other way thyroid could "cause" acne is because it raised your vitamin A needs. When you increase your metabolism you need more nutrition. Vitamin A keeps skin clear.

Synthroid and Levo are T4 only medications. Unless you are young and have a very healthy liver, it's hard to cure hypothyroidism from T4 alone - even harder for women with our higher estrogen. Most people need some active thyroid hormone T3. Also, long term T4 treatment can make hypothyroidism worse. Ray has lots of info on this if you search FunctionalPS.

So yes, people on T4 only treatment are still hypothyroid - and we know low thyroid is one of the main root causes of acne.
I'm sick of hearing "vitamin A keeps skin clear". I've dosed massive amount of it and it's never kept my skin fully clear so that's hogwash. If anything it dries my skin out and makes it worse

Tenacity

I'm sick of hearing "vitamin A keeps skin clear". I've dosed massive amount of it and it's never kept my skin fully clear so that's hogwash. If anything it dries my skin out and makes it worse

I agree. There's more to the cause of acne than just a vitamin A deficiency. For me, selenium from shellfish is the only thing that can consistently clear my skin.

EIRE24

I agree. There's more to the cause of acne than just a vitamin A deficiency. For me, selenium from shellfish is the only thing that can consistently clear my skin.
Have you tried selenium supplementation?

OP
B

bohogirl

What should I go for? T3 or NDT?

I'm getting blood tests again and then going to see a doc again.

I don't think vitamin a is the cure all either. But that may change once I add in thyroid.

OP
B

bohogirl

I agree. I would get everything from food vs supplements. Nature has it best. I tried zinc pills and I may have broken out from them. Oysters are far better.