Scars Are Not Healing, Please Help Me

ursidae

Hello, I just signed up
I've been reading some of the threads on this forum for the past few months. I'm 19 years old and have always been acne prone and struggled with digestion issues. Three years ago I developed hirsutism, insomnia, depression, irregular cycle and was found to have a cyst on one of my ovaries. Blood tests at the time showed high testosterone, low estrogen. I began researching PCOS and adjusted my diet over the years to one that involves eating huge quantities of vegetables, some fruit, legumes, occasionally fish and nuts, spearmint tea to lower androgens. No sugar, dairy, land meat, high GI foods, nothing processed. It worked at keeping the acne at bay but I had digestion issues, sleep issues, low energy, anxiety, kept losing weight, was always cold. I stumbled on this forum and decided to boost my caloric intake, eat lots of potatoes, oranges, dairy, rice, liver. I felt great, had lots of energy, was finally able to sleep and had no intestinal discomfort.

However!
it completely ruined my skin. Sebum production was over the roof and every time I ate a high GI food I'd get hot flashes. For the first time ever cysts appeared and it greatly exacerbated my sebborrhoeic dermatitis.I've been fighting the breakout this diet induced for three months and to my horror for the first time in my life it started leaving atrophic scars. They are minor for now but distress me greatly, because every lesion is now a potential scar and I'm facing the possibility of being slowly disfigured by this. I visited a dermatologist- she said the location (chin, jawline, cheeks) indicates it is hormonal, she said to eat lots of greens, parsley, fish and walnuts and referred me to an endocrinologist. The endocrinologist was shocked that I weigh 4kg less than I did three years ago when I first visited her. She said my body is practically degenerating and I could do a three month birth control course or take a PCOS supplement that normalizes blood sugar. I chose the supplement as I feared that the birth control could result in an initial breakout and even worse scarring. I had my blood tests done and they indicated high androstendione, high DHEAs, high prolactin, low vit D (despite me supplementing for months and spending time in the sun), LH to FSH ratio of 3.5 to 1 instead of 1:1!, normal testosterone, low chlorides. TSH was 2, T4was low (11.59), T3 was within range (4.62). Glucose within range.

Currently I eat leafy greens, salmon, some fruit, some nuts, mussels, green and spearmint tea, occasionally rye bread and hummus. A spoon of gellatin every morning and evening. I started taking zinc, vit D, magnesium, B complex, B3, folic acid, selenium, chormium, hyaluronic acid, CO-Q10 in a desperate attempt to get this thing under control. So far it has worked to normalize sebum production and inflammation to some extent. I still get acne, but it's less inflamed. No more oral thrush. I am wondering if that is due to the (inevitabl) caloric restriction. However the scars are not healing and new ones are forming daily. I've also adjusted my lifestyle according to this regimen A Zinc-Less Zinc Regimen For Adults: Draft 5 in order to maximize ZSOD production. I go to sleep at 8:30, still struggle to fall asleep and wake up at 6. Spending almost the entire day outside at 5 deg celsius, that's how desperate I am at this point.

My question is, why am I not healing, is it because I'm hypothyroid? How do I stimulate wound healing while the atrophic scars are still fresh, be it internally or through topical application?

Thank you to whoever read all this, I know its a lot, but I'm really desperate and scared at this point and I don't know what to do.

RWilly

Watch the zinc supplementation because that can put copper out of whack. I hope you are not doing 600 mg of zinc that was mentioned in the link you provided. Just 50mg of zinc will stop copper absorption. Some of your issue may be due to low copper from high zinc intake. SOD is both zinc and copper.

Also look into serrapeptase, as that can dissolve scar tissue.

LeeLemonoil

I second that. This ultra-high zinc approach is absolutely risky.

Atrophic scars don’t heal by themselves.

But micro-needling/derma-Rolling is an effective way to mitigate them over time and regain substance and functional tissue in place of the scars.
That can be assisted with (all topical) Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Limonene, GABA.
The tissue need help with cell energy metabolism because normal cell respiration is defunct in scars. Methylene Blue, Q10, B1, B2 and succinct acid can help there.
You’re very young. If it start needling after getting thoroughly familiar with the procedure you will be without scars in 3 years. It takes sone time for the tissue to regenerate but your skin will be very good.

The quicker but stupider and less sustainable method is to fill up substance defects with fillers. If the scars threats to make you dysmorphic, ask a doctor about it. Which Country you’re located?

Constatine

Inflammation impairs healing. As does catabolism. First off I'd say increase your protein intake. A higher protein intake is beneficial to tissue healing and can even reduce inflammation. Aloe vera is very common used but also quite effective. It can certainly help when applied topically on scar tissue.

OP
U

ursidae

thank you for your replies. I only take 10mg zinc citrate (lower absorbtion rate). Sometimes twice daily
I'm in scotland. I was already dysmorphic before the scars, it got better over the years, but with this happening right now I'm crumbling again. Daily panick attack over this which I'm aware isn't helping. My family is all doctors, two plastic surgeons and I already asked the derm. She said cosmetics won't help and laser is needed, the surgeons in my family said they will fill in over time which I'm not too sure about. They're still fairly new which is why I have some hope that remodeling is easier/possible at this stage. As acne is almost impossible to manage and right now even small whiteheads are leaving indents, I feel my priorities should be 1. finding out why my healing is impaired and fixing that, 2. providing the best environment for fresh scars to level up (moist, dark, warm, co2), 3. treating existing lesions to prevent even more scarring, 4. managing acne
It would be more intuitive for 4. to be second but it's a bit of a catch 22 situation, I feel like most things that reduce my acne impair my healing (except SOD, potentially)
I'll be sleeping now but will research serrapeptase tomorrow

LeeLemonoil

The surgeons should know about micro-needling. It’s now used also in plastic and reconstructive surgery for burned patients. Then under anesthesia with needle length >3mm. But that’s not necessary for acne lesions and scars, where 0.5-2mm suffice and that can be managed with topical numbing.
The derm is not state of the Art of she recommends laser. Needling is more effective, less risky/side-effects (much less) and costs much less. Which is probably while not recommended.
You can even needle inflamed loci. It modulates cytokines and pro-inflammatory gene expression.
And that’s one of the reasons behind your acne to begin with. The tissue is inflammation prone, it needs prolonged anti-inflammatory intervention to epigeneticaly reprogram.

LeeLemonoil

I’ve posted very a whole bunch of very recent meta-reviews and publications on micro needling from the pubmed somewhere here. Just search the pubmed or tell your freakin derm. It’s subject of ongoing research extremely good results and promising in every regard. How can they be so out of touch ?

No disrespect to the other poster, but serrapeptase is a blind flying in terms of managing scarring. Microneedling is precise intervention. It will pay out years from now for you too if you regularly and sensibly do it over the years. Your skin will look still great with forty when your peers have aged horribly that today might look better with acne free skin. See it as a chance of sorts although it’s hard to do so at your Station Right now

OP
U

ursidae

Thank you LeeaLemonoil I will look into needling. Whatever the solution to scarring, it's probably related to aging and maybe even alopecia. The hair follicle is necessary for proper wound healing. And yeah I suspect the derm is a sell out.

OP
U

ursidae

Update: the acne is still not going away and I'm probably going to start birth control today

Beastmode

Body temperature and pulse rate measured throughout the day can be very helpful to determine what you're eating, consuming, etc is helping or hurting.

It's the basic thing of Peat "metrics."

By using the above, you can at least slow down a bit and unemotionally put your day to the test. Not the only metrics of course, but very useful and representative.

Low vitamin d after being the sun a lot and months of supplementation is a sign of liver and thyroid functional issues.

Taking a lot of supplements may be burdening your liver even more.

The daily carrot salad can do wonders for many women, especially at your age from what I've seen thus far.

Consider things outside of your diet that may be contributing to your stress levels.

laleto12

My vitamin D levels came up 21.4 ng/mL in the test that i did 3 weeks ago. This Summer I legitimately tanned for an hour naked everyday at the peak UV. What is wrong with my body. I dont see how my vitamin d levels could be this low.

OP
U

ursidae

How high was you prolactin? Your Progesterone was good?
It was very high, but I was told such deviations were normal and not significant enough to be considered 'truly' out of range
Progesterone wasn't measured but the endo suspected it was low

Not sure if this is estrogen dominance I'm experiencing, but years back when I was tested, estrogen was on the low end and testosterone was high. This time testosterone was average, estrogen/progesterone weren't measured. It will cost me a lot but I will probably get it tested on the 3rd-5th day of my cycle seeing as it's soon and I need more information

Beastmode

My vitamin D levels came up 21.4 ng/mL in the test that i did 3 weeks ago. This Summer I legitimately tanned for an hour naked everyday at the peak UV. What is wrong with my body. I dont see how my vitamin d levels could be this low.

What latitude are you in?
Are you dark skinned?

This is a Ray Peat forum and I've been told directly by him that liver and thyroid function are the main things to consider if your vitamin d isn't going up effectively outside some of the above considerations.

lampofred

Have you ever tried eating liver? RP says that it has factors necessary for increasing vitamin D when just supplementation/sunlight exposure aren't working. Chicken liver is probably better than cow liver initially because the high copper in cow liver can cause problems if metabolism isn't high. I think the problem in PCOS is that you are running too much on fat as opposed to sugar, leading to excess DHEA relative to progesterone, and low thyroid in general, caused by too much unsaturated fat intake and insufficient protein intake.

Coffee and aspirin help to switch the ratio from DHEA to progesterone and activate thyroid (in addition to dietary changes).

Kunstruct

It was very high, but I was told such deviations were normal and not significant enough to be considered 'truly' out of range
Progesterone wasn't measured but the endo suspected it was low

Not sure if this is estrogen dominance I'm experiencing, but years back when I was tested, estrogen was on the low end and testosterone was high. This time testosterone was average, estrogen/progesterone weren't measured. It will cost me a lot but I will probably get it tested on the 3rd-5th day of my cycle seeing as it's soon and I need more information

If it is very high, well that should be fixed. I would assume Progesterone would be low if Prolactine is very high, but being a female actually the results might vary from month to month as far as I see with other females I know having such issues none the less you do not want it very high.
I do not know of course how high it actually is but the doctor should put you on some medicine for that, if it is very high that means it is hyperprolactinemia.
Or you could go by the popular drugs here, like metergoline for example.
Now this aside the diet recommendations.

OP
U

ursidae

Body temperature and pulse rate measured throughout the day can be very helpful to determine what you're eating, consuming, etc is helping or hurting.

It's the basic thing of Peat "metrics."

By using the above, you can at least slow down a bit and unemotionally put your day to the test. Not the only metrics of course, but very useful and representative.

Low vitamin d after being the sun a lot and months of supplementation is a sign of liver and thyroid functional issues.

Taking a lot of supplements may be burdening your liver even more.

The daily carrot salad can do wonders for many women, especially at your age from what I've seen thus far.

Consider things outside of your diet that may be contributing to your stress levels.

I actually measured my pulse/waking temp a month ago when the skin was at its worst and I started to suspect the problem was my thyroid. My temperature used to be low for years, but when I measured it that time, it was consistently 37.6 (99.68). Pulse was 76. That was after a while of peating. I just measured it again and it's down to 65, I'm guessing my temp has gone down too, but I don't have a thermometer at the moment. T3 is probably lower too. I'm purposely slowing down my metabolism because I find it reduces the severity of the acne and buys me some time.

I do eat a carrot in the evening with some acv, but will try the whole recipe. Kinda anxious about the coconut oil. Getting the feeling high fat makes things worse at the current stage

The scarring is definitely causing me extreme stress, it's a vicious cycle. I'm trying my best to piece things together

Liver is probably in a bad state

I have a history of allergies + dark circles under eyes, excess mucous, excessive sweating OCD, perfectionism, insomnia, constant inner tension- I read it could be undermethylation, don't know the specifics but it's probably liver related again

Irregular sleeping pattern for years, I've been trying to correct it, but definitely not getting the 'melatonin surge' yet

Cyst on my ovaries from back then, bad LH/FSH ratio, pointing to PCOS, so it's very likely I'm insulin resistant and pissing away all the zinc

Years of digestive issues, eating tons of fiber, legumes, grains , I probably have high intestinal permeability

So many things are out of whack that I don't know what to address first

I'm guessing gut--->liver--->everything else

Thinking of eating only gellatin, fruit and spirulina for a 2-3 days. Some intermittent fasting and then starting liver supporting supplements and adding in vegetables and meat.

laleto12

What latitude are you in?
Are you dark skinned?

This is a Ray Peat forum and I've been told directly by him that liver and thyroid function are the main things to consider if your vitamin d isn't going up effectively outside some of the above considerations.
Latitude is very low. At sea level. I am not that dark skinned actually. But I am still very tanned after 3 months of sun exposure. And I definitely agree that my thyroid is not working properly and i am hypothyroid. I started the Ray Peat diet after a decade of avoiding sugar. My carb source was always starches. But just before i started the Peat diet I was on carnivore diet for 7 months and I basically crashed. Im now on 2-3 months of the peat-inspired diet. Trying to slowly regain my metabolism back. Maybe I could be magnesium deficient hence the low vitamin d levels. I m going to supplement with magnesium bicarbonate.

OP
U

ursidae

Have you ever tried eating liver? RP says that it has factors necessary for increasing vitamin D when just supplementation/sunlight exposure aren't working. Chicken liver is probably better than cow liver initially because the high copper in cow liver can cause problems if metabolism isn't high. I think the problem in PCOS is that you are running too much on fat as opposed to sugar, leading to excess DHEA relative to progesterone, and low thyroid in general, caused by too much unsaturated fat intake and insufficient protein intake.

Coffee and aspirin help to switch the ratio from DHEA to progesterone and activate thyroid (in addition to dietary changes).

Liver dried me out really badly. My skin has been extremely dry/damaged ever since I last ate it. So I'm a bit scared of vit A at the moment. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the peat diet in and of itself but when one's system is out of order a transition of some kind has to be made, apparently

I was definitely eating too much unsaturated fat, lowered my intake drastically and saw some improvement

I'll make a note of the coffee and aspirin. I took some the day before yesterday and I drink green tea in the morning which I'm sure is contraindicative in some way

lampofred

when one's system is out of order a transition of some kind has to be made, apparently

That is true. Donating blood to reduce excess iron in my body was one of the faster things that helped me transition, in addition to the more long-term things like caffeine, calcium, sugar, avoiding PUFA, etc. Iron wastes a lot of vitamins and minerals which otherwise would have gone into progesterone production.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals