Hyperthyroidism and Anemia Misdiagnosis? Please help!

wholehealth

I appreciate your time and any recommendations you can provide! Due to recent bloodwork (values below), I have been diagnosed by my doctor as anemic and hyperthyroid. I understand, from Ray's research and the forum, that both of these conditions are commonly misdiagnosed. My gynecologist is recommending that I supplement iron and my endocrinologist is scheduling me for a thyroid ultrasound.

Historically, I believed myself to be hypothyroid due to cold hands and feet, low pulse of 60 bpm, low energy, etc. Since July of 2021, I supplement thyroid and responded extremely well at first, but the incredible effects have not sustained. I am also recovering from hormonal contraceptives. I took drospirenone and estradiol orally from the ages of 17-22 and stopped this medication in August of 2020. Since then, I have experienced post birth control symptoms such as hair loss, 12 months of chronic acne (which have both since resolved) and extreme weight gain. From December of 2020 to March of 2021, I gained 50 pounds and stretch marks on my abdomen, hips, thighs, and inner arms. This weight gain has flatlined since then but has not resolved. My menstrual cycle is regular and returned immediately after stopping birth control, with normal flow and some light cramping.

My diet consists of all grass-fed/pasture raised eggs, beef, milk(switched to raw milk in the last week), cheese, orange juice, bone broth, spaghetti squash coffee, daily carrot salad, and weekly liver and oysters. I do not consume any processed food, PUFA, or alcohol. I drink RO water and have removed toxins from my hygiene and cleaning products.

I currently supplement progesterone, thyroid, glycine, and magnesium daily. Three times a week, I supplement Vitamin A, K, and E, DHEA, androsterone, and pregnenolone. Twice a week, I consume B1, B2, B3. Occasionally, I take taurine and methalyne blue. All of these are sourced from LifeGivingStore, HealthNatura, or Idealabs.

Blood Work Values:
Vitamin D taken 11/01/2021: 32.1 NG/ML

Hormones taken on 12/29/2021 during follicular phase
  • Progesterone: 0.2 ng/ML
  • Estradiol: 73.6 pg/mL
  • LH: 5.1 mIU/mL
  • FSH: 3.9 mIU/mL

Hormones taken 11/01/2021
  • Cortisol: 14.2 UG/DL
  • DHEA: 158 UG/DL
  • Testosterone: 19 NG/DL
  • TSH: .012 UIU/ML (below low normal)
  • T3: 5.2PG/ML (above high normal)
  • T4: 1.33 NG/DL

Iron-relatated taken 11/01/2021 unless otherwise specified
  • Ferritin: 3 NG/mL (below low normal)
  • Ferritin taken 12/29/2021: 3 NG/mL (below low normal)
  • HBA1C: 5.2%
  • Hemoglobin: 9.4 g/dL (below low normal)
  • Hemoglobin taken 12/29/2021: 10.4 g/dL (below low normal)
  • Hematocrit: 32.7% (below low normal)
  • Iron: 13 UG/dL (below low normal)
  • Iron Saturation: 3% (alert low)
  • MCV: 65 FL (below low normal)
  • MCH: 18.7 PG (below low normal)
  • MCHC: 28.7 G/dL (below low normal)
  • RDW: 18.1% (above high normal)

My pulse is typically around 60 bpm and temperature 97.9 even after peating since the summer of 2020. I'm desperate for any recommendations and eager to resolve my energetic issues and put this all behind me. Thank you so much!

Vileplume

How much thyroid did you take back in July, and have you adjusted the dosage since? What form of thyroid do you take?

When you say the thyroid first worked well but wasn't sustained, can you elaborate on that a bit? Did you first have high temperatures, then they dropped? What other symptoms and changes did you notice when first starting thyroid, vs. now?

With a temperature of 97.9 I do not think you currently have hyperthyroidism.

OP
W

wholehealth

How much thyroid did you take back in July, and have you adjusted the dosage since? What form of thyroid do you take?

When you say the thyroid first worked well but wasn't sustained, can you elaborate on that a bit? Did you first have high temperatures, then they dropped? What other symptoms and changes did you notice when first starting thyroid, vs. now?

With a temperature of 97.9 I do not think you currently have hyperthyroidism.
I take Tyromax and started with 1 drop a day in July until working up to a full grain. I was responding well so I progressed/increased 1 drop per day over 7 days to a full grain (7 drops). I have not adjusted the dosage since. At first, I responded with increased temperature and pulse, glowing skin, disappearance of dark circles under the eyes, high energy. After a few weeks, my temp and pulse dropped again, dark circles returned, and I no longer felt high energy. If I miss a day, I don't feel a huge difference vs when I do take it in regards to energy levels. I recently obtained Cynoplus but haven't tried it yet.

redsun

I appreciate your time and any recommendations you can provide! Due to recent bloodwork (values below), I have been diagnosed by my doctor as anemic and hyperthyroid. I understand, from Ray's research and the forum, that both of these conditions are commonly misdiagnosed. My gynecologist is recommending that I supplement iron and my endocrinologist is scheduling me for a thyroid ultrasound.

Historically, I believed myself to be hypothyroid due to cold hands and feet, low pulse of 60 bpm, low energy, etc. Since July of 2021, I supplement thyroid and responded extremely well at first, but the incredible effects have not sustained. I am also recovering from hormonal contraceptives. I took drospirenone and estradiol orally from the ages of 17-22 and stopped this medication in August of 2020. Since then, I have experienced post birth control symptoms such as hair loss, 12 months of chronic acne (which have both since resolved) and extreme weight gain. From December of 2020 to March of 2021, I gained 50 pounds and stretch marks on my abdomen, hips, thighs, and inner arms. This weight gain has flatlined since then but has not resolved. My menstrual cycle is regular and returned immediately after stopping birth control, with normal flow and some light cramping.

My diet consists of all grass-fed/pasture raised eggs, beef, milk(switched to raw milk in the last week), cheese, orange juice, bone broth, spaghetti squash coffee, daily carrot salad, and weekly liver and oysters. I do not consume any processed food, PUFA, or alcohol. I drink RO water and have removed toxins from my hygiene and cleaning products.

I currently supplement progesterone, thyroid, glycine, and magnesium daily. Three times a week, I supplement Vitamin A, K, and E, DHEA, androsterone, and pregnenolone. Twice a week, I consume B1, B2, B3. Occasionally, I take taurine and methalyne blue. All of these are sourced from LifeGivingStore, HealthNatura, or Idealabs.

Blood Work Values:
Vitamin D taken 11/01/2021: 32.1 NG/ML

Hormones taken on 12/29/2021 during follicular phase
  • Progesterone: 0.2 ng/ML
  • Estradiol: 73.6 pg/mL
  • LH: 5.1 mIU/mL
  • FSH: 3.9 mIU/mL

Hormones taken 11/01/2021
  • Cortisol: 14.2 UG/DL
  • DHEA: 158 UG/DL
  • Testosterone: 19 NG/DL
  • TSH: .012 UIU/ML (below low normal)
  • T3: 5.2PG/ML (above high normal)
  • T4: 1.33 NG/DL

Iron-relatated taken 11/01/2021 unless otherwise specified
  • Ferritin: 3 NG/mL (below low normal)
  • Ferritin taken 12/29/2021: 3 NG/mL (below low normal)
  • HBA1C: 5.2%
  • Hemoglobin: 9.4 g/dL (below low normal)
  • Hemoglobin taken 12/29/2021: 10.4 g/dL (below low normal)
  • Hematocrit: 32.7% (below low normal)
  • Iron: 13 UG/dL (below low normal)
  • Iron Saturation: 3% (alert low)
  • MCV: 65 FL (below low normal)
  • MCH: 18.7 PG (below low normal)
  • MCHC: 28.7 G/dL (below low normal)
  • RDW: 18.1% (above high normal)

My pulse is typically around 60 bpm and temperature 97.9 even after peating since the summer of 2020. I'm desperate for any recommendations and eager to resolve my energetic issues and put this all behind me. Thank you so much!
Why are you supplementing vitamin A when you eat liver once a week? You shouldnt be doing either. Excess vitamin A increases calcium loss independent of anything else your doing. Thyroid does the same by increasing cortisol. It also dose-dependently lowers Acetylcholine synthesis, which is an important neurotransmitter needed to calm the metabolism and control Norepinephrine. Without Ach to control it, Norepinephrine will stay elevated, causing cold extremities and your other symptoms. This is why you deal with constant stress response problems like cold extremities, low temp.

When your metabolism burns glucose too quickly and is artificially raised to hyperthyroid levels you will constantly deal with elevated norepinephrine which is causing these problems but the cause is not the norepinephrine, its because your metabolism is too fast. You definitely need iron as well so you need to supplement it and eat an iron rich diet and that will improve energy problems and other things. You just need to stop taking thyroid hormones and eating liver which via vitamin A, strongly reduces acetylcholine synthesis, depleting and leaving you in a sympathetic dominant state.

B vitamins increase the burning of glucose. Vitamin K2 lowers serum calcium and can contribute to increased stress reactions. You eat really well seemingly, you just need iron and take too many things that put way too much speed into your metabolism and make you sympathetic dominant. Your own thyroid would probably improve from fixing iron status and should need to to supplement thyroid.

OP
W

wholehealth

Why are you supplementing vitamin A when you eat liver once a week? You shouldnt be doing either. Excess vitamin A increases calcium loss independent of anything else your doing. Thyroid does the same by increasing cortisol. It also dose-dependently lowers Acetylcholine synthesis, which is an important neurotransmitter needed to calm the metabolism and control Norepinephrine. Without Ach to control it, Norepinephrine will stay elevated, causing cold extremities and your other symptoms. This is why you deal with constant stress response problems like cold extremities, low temp.

When your metabolism burns glucose too quickly and is artificially raised to hyperthyroid levels you will constantly deal with elevated norepinephrine which is causing these problems but the cause is not the norepinephrine, its because your metabolism is too fast. You definitely need iron as well so you need to supplement it and eat an iron rich diet and that will improve energy problems and other things. You just need to stop taking thyroid hormones and eating liver which via vitamin A, strongly reduces acetylcholine synthesis, depleting and leaving you in a sympathetic dominant state.

B vitamins increase the burning of glucose. Vitamin K2 lowers serum calcium and can contribute to increased stress reactions. You eat really well seemingly, you just need iron and take too many things that put way too much speed into your metabolism and make you sympathetic dominant. Your own thyroid would probably improve from fixing iron status and should need to to supplement thyroid.
For clarification, are you recommending that I stop eating liver or stop supplementing Vitamin A? I thought liver to be an essential aspect of diet. How is my metabolism too fast when I have experienced this weight gain? For context, my weight was stable my whole life prior to getting off birth control and adopting a diet free of processed food and PUFA. Based on reading threads on the forum, I thought iron supplementation wasn't recommended. My doctor is recommending I take the Fusion Plus iron supplement daily for 3 months. I eat red meat, cheese, and milk daily and I started using eggshells to increase my calcium. Thank you so much for your help!

K

Kaur Singh

your D is low.

I would bring up above 50 ng/ml
before even addressing thyroid supplementation changes

how much calcium are you getting in?

blood minerals test is useful to keep track of... effect of things

what have your cholesterol levels been
since before the changes you have been making.
also useful to track effect of things

also, when you supp thyroid (when it has T4)
need to give it 3-4 weeks,
before upping the dose, to assess full effects

also, winter dose is usually higher than summer
if you live in a place with such seasonal variance

how are you supplementing progesterone?

as always, read/listen Peat.
PMS to Menopause is pretty comprehensive.

the good news is the weight gain plateaued !
and the acne gone!
and the hair loss stopped!
and good riddance to the estrogen and progestin ingestion!

depending on how you are feeling/doing
you may consider adding in some muscle developing form of activity
you can look up what Peat and others say is a good way to do it.

as for progesterone, test on day 21 of your cycle [if it is 28 days long, middle of your luteal phase abouts]
also for progesterone/estrogen ratio day 21 i think it's better.
look up what hormones do during your cycle and you'll understand why

are you eating enough proteins?
enough carbs?
enough calories?
etc

if you get these things in order for a few months
[D and Ca, etc]
and then re-do the blood tests, you can see where you are at,
your CBC panel and iron one may change.
if you need iron, instead of supplementing it -
how about getting it from food?
liver has plenty iron
spleen
other animal organs? etc

[ my questions are meant to get you curious and thinking
to look into this, via Peat's framework / writings / interviews, etc.
You don't have to answer me ]

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kaur Singh

Danny ROddy why thyroid supp not working.png

[Danny Roddy compiled this from Peat's literature / Broda Barnes / etc]

OP
W

wholehealth

your D is low.

I would bring up above 50 ng/ml
before even addressing thyroid supplementation changes

how much calcium are you getting in?

blood minerals test is useful to keep track of... effect of things

what have your cholesterol levels been
since before the changes you have been making.
also useful to track effect of things

also, when you supp thyroid (when it has T4)
need to give it 3-4 weeks,
before upping the dose, to assess full effects

also, winter dose is usually higher than summer
if you live in a place with such seasonal variance

how are you supplementing progesterone?

as always, read/listen Peat.
PMS to Menopause is pretty comprehensive.

the good news is the weight gain plateaued !
and the acne gone!
and the hair loss stopped!
and good riddance to the estrogen and progestin ingestion!

depending on how you are feeling/doing
you may consider adding in some muscle developing form of activity
you can look up what Peat and others say is a good way to do it.

as for progesterone, test on day 21 of your cycle [if it is 28 days long, middle of your luteal phase abouts]
also for progesterone/estrogen ratio day 21 i think it's better.
look up what hormones do during your cycle and you'll understand why

are you eating enough proteins?
enough carbs?
enough calories?
etc

if you get these things in order for a few months
[D and Ca, etc]
and then re-do the blood tests, you can see where you are at,
your CBC panel and iron one may change.
if you need iron, instead of supplementing it -
how about getting it from food?
liver has plenty iron
spleen
other animal organs? etc

[ my questions are meant to get you curious and thinking
to look into this, via Peat's framework / writings / interviews, etc.
You don't have to answer me ]

Good luck!
I appreciate your reply! Thank you for the thought-provoking questions. Do you have a recommendation for Vitamin D supplementation? I get sunlight every day that allows, but that's obviously more challenging in the winter.

I don't have an exact amount for calcium, however I drink 2-4 cups of milk daily, around 15g of cheese, and consume 1/4 tsp of eggshells. I'll definitely measure so I can have an understanding on how to adjust. My calcium level as of 11/01/2021 was 8.9 mg/dL.

I supplement 6 drops of progesterone into my hairline nightly! And have experienced hair regrowth there as a result :)

I will definitely seek more info from Peat's articles. I'm so grateful the acne, hair loss, and weight gain have stoped, but so ready for the weight loss to begin! I want to add weightlifting into my routine, however adding more stress to my already stress body concerns me - I'll check out what Peat has to say here too.

I do feel that I have an iron rich diet, which was why the anemia diagnoses from my doctor surprised me. She's focusing mainly on my Ferritin for that diagnosis. Liver is the only organ meat I've tried so far, but our farmer's market sells kidney so I can incorporate that.

Again, thank you so much!

K

Kaur Singh

I appreciate your reply! Thank you for the thought-provoking questions. Do you have a recommendation for Vitamin D supplementation? I get sunlight every day that allows, but that's obviously more challenging in the winter.

I don't have an exact amount for calcium, however I drink 2-4 cups of milk daily, around 15g of cheese, and consume 1/4 tsp of eggshells. I'll definitely measure so I can have an understanding on how to adjust. My calcium level as of 11/01/2021 was 8.9 mg/dL.

I supplement 6 drops of progesterone into my hairline nightly! And have experienced hair regrowth there as a result :)

I will definitely seek more info from Peat's articles. I'm so grateful the acne, hair loss, and weight gain have stoped, but so ready for the weight loss to begin! I want to add weightlifting into my routine, however adding more stress to my already stress body concerns me - I'll check out what Peat has to say here too.

I do feel that I have an iron rich diet, which was why the anemia diagnoses from my doctor surprised me. She's focusing mainly on my Ferritin for that diagnosis. Liver is the only organ meat I've tried so far, but our farmer's market sells kidney so I can incorporate that.

Again, thank you so much!

yeahhh.... so you might want to read "PMS to Menopause: Hormones in Context" and get a better idea how to supplement progesterone so it works with your cycle...
Peat makes it a point to take a break from it too, monthly.
Read and find out why!

watch what happens to your blood calcium levels when you get your D up.
it might be interesting to learn.
remember that this test is simply telling you what is in the blood,
it doesn't tell you where it is coming from...

testing parathyroid hormone can be another useful marker
[Peat likes it on the low side of normal]

look also at the relationship between Ca and P in your blood test
I think if P is higher it can be read as a sign of too much estrogen,
from what I remember/understand
(of course, it can also be from too much P in your diet, and not enough Ca)

in general, supplements that have no (harmful) excipients is best

there is a nice, thorough episode on D with Peat
from Kitty's podcast, with Kate Deering too.

L

LauriePartridge

How much vit A would you say you get daily including all foods and supplement? Is your raw milk full dairy fat? Was your previous milk A and D fortified?

overactive parathyroid flags are high blood calcium levels.

too much A and D and/or an imbalance of the two can negatively affect metabolism and cause a multitude of problems so I would be cautious about supplementing either and especially D since the long terms effects of doing so are really not known and it can act like an anabolic steroid in excess. Your D levels are impressive given that you don't supplement. pastured eggs where hens are exposed to a lot of sunlight have been reported to increase the vit d content of their eggs 4-6 times more than standard eggs. It looks like you are capable of maintaining adequate levels with your current lifestyle and diet.

Too much A can have an anti-thyroid effect. You can get a good amount from grass fed dairy fat like butter which has 500 units per tablespoon. Truly pastured hens will also prouduce eggs with more vit A.

I think too many supplements can confuse the body and interfere with its ability to regulate itself. What made you decide to supplement with thyroid initially?

How much iron do you get in your diet daily exactly? Blackstrap molasses can be a good source of iron and other minerals. Are your stools very light colored?

Other things can affect iron status like copper intake. Is your beef liver 100 percent grass-fed or is it both grass/grain fed? 100 percent Grass-fed liver has been shown to have 5-6 times higher amounts of A (which can be toxic) compared to grain fed and ironically very little amounts of copper. Grain fed liver has copious amounts of copper. Be very careful with liver and know exactly how much you are taking and its nutritional value. I agree with @redsun's take on vitamin A/liver.

A warning sign of low copper can be a low white blood cell count. Too much zinc can tank copper as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals