Dry Skin Cause

Josh

I've posted about this before but it's really an issue for me and i think it's why i have a general dry skin issue.
Sebaceous filaments, basically my sebum is completely solidified, all along the jaw line where hair grows, all my cheeks, t-zone mainly, the worst part is the cheek areas to the side of my nose under the eyes, i have big visible pores in that area anyway and these Sebaceous filaments just stick out like little rice grains.. If their picked out they will fill back up again in a few hours.

By having this solidified sebum i'm obviously not able to have normal 'runny' sebum that is evenly distributed throughout the skin.I get them on my scalp as well.

I really only started getting this and its got worse since i found ray peat, cut out ALL pufas for the last two-three years and have gone really high on the saturated fat, as i need the calories and makes me satiated and i feel better etc, probably eat over 120g of fat a day mostly from butter/coconut oil. In the last 3 months i have started eating salmon weekly along with olive oil, still i don't think it makes a difference as my saturated fat intake is so high.

I have thought to myself, if this was the case then most peaters would be complaining about it? Thing is, i don't think most peaters here are eating as much saturated fat as me and i found ray peat quite young at the age of 18, my diets NEVER been super high in pufas for them to store, so my guess is that my pufa stores dried up pretty quickly and my sebum has been made of the fat i eat mostly.

I know you guys will say that it's not possible for this as our body temperature is too warm for sebum to solidify but its the only thing i can think of and the only thing that makes sense.

Before finding out about Ray peat i used to have normal oily skin and my eczema wasnt any where near as bad as it is now, i guess the normal sebum just kept my skin naturally moisturised.

Is it worth me reducing saturated fat??

julcreutz

Thanks for writing this post! I'm wondering about this myself. I don't remember ever having my sebum be as solidified as now in my life. I'm coming from about 9 months of high-fat carnivore diet (only ruminants) and salt and that's about when my sebum started to solidify more and more.

It definitely might have something to do with SFA:MUFA:PUFA ratio considering that SFA are solid at room temperature, hence why the sebum is solid too. It's well known that the fatty acids you consume make up the lipids in your body, so that theory is probably correct.

Personally, I don't find it concerning/worrying. I just exfoliate my face every other day with warm water and a one-time washcloth and then rinse with cold water after. This has worked well for the last few months.

I assume having a higher MUFA/PUFA intake would remedy this "problem", but I have no idea if it actually does. I don't really want to try it out lol.

OP
J

Josh

Thanks for writing this post! I'm wondering about this myself. I don't remember ever having my sebum be as solidified as now in my life. I'm coming from about 9 months of high-fat carnivore diet (only ruminants) and salt and that's about when my sebum started to solidify more and more.

It definitely might have something to do with SFA:MUFA:PUFA ratio considering that SFA are solid at room temperature, hence why the sebum is solid too. It's well known that the fatty acids you consume make up the lipids in your body, so that theory is probably correct.

Personally, I don't find it concerning/worrying. I just exfoliate my face every other day with warm water and a one-time washcloth and then rinse with cold water after. This has worked well for the last few months.

I assume having a higher MUFA/PUFA intake would remedy this "problem", but I have no idea if it actually does. I don't really want to try it out lol.

Yes mate thats the conclusion i've come to, it's got to be the lower PUFA intake, But like you said i don't want to try it out either! Although i have bought a few packs of Organic Sunflower seeds which i will try out after i've tried liver for a few weeks!

I would say it does bother me a lot though, i feel as though by overall skin all over my body is just more dry, it kind of seems that PUFA is essential for healthy skin health and although i do not agree with this figure what so ever, the daily recommended amount for Pufa is 17g!

OP
J

Josh

Post a CRON-o-meter screenshot.

This is not the way i eat every single day, i dont eat sweet potatoes everyday, I do eat liver a few times a week etc etc

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-19 at 22.50.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-19 at 22.50.25.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 126

Gone Peating

How much liver? Too much vit a could cause this

You could try switching out the coconut oil for olive oil

Lejeboca

I've posted about this before but it's really an issue for me and i think it's why i have a general dry skin issue.
Sebaceous filaments, basically my sebum is completely solidified, all along the jaw line where hair grows, all my cheeks, t-zone mainly, the worst part is the cheek areas to the side of my nose under the eyes, i have big visible pores in that area anyway and these Sebaceous filaments just stick out like little rice grains.. If their picked out they will fill back up again in a few hours.

By having this solidified sebum i'm obviously not able to have normal 'runny' sebum that is evenly distributed throughout the skin.I get them on my scalp as well.

I really only started getting this and its got worse since i found ray peat, cut out ALL pufas for the last two-three years and have gone really high on the saturated fat, as i need the calories and makes me satiated and i feel better etc, probably eat over 120g of fat a day mostly from butter/coconut oil. In the last 3 months i have started eating salmon weekly along with olive oil, still i don't think it makes a difference as my saturated fat intake is so high.

I have thought to myself, if this was the case then most peaters would be complaining about it? Thing is, i don't think most peaters here are eating as much saturated fat as me and i found ray peat quite young at the age of 18, my diets NEVER been super high in pufas for them to store, so my guess is that my pufa stores dried up pretty quickly and my sebum has been made of the fat i eat mostly.

I know you guys will say that it's not possible for this as our body temperature is too warm for sebum to solidify but its the only thing i can think of and the only thing that makes sense.

Before finding out about Ray peat i used to have normal oily skin and my eczema wasn't any where near as bad as it is now, i guess the normal sebum just kept my skin naturally moisturized.

Is it worth me reducing saturated fat??

From my experience, I had very dry/patchy skin on the face, when I had chronically high serotonin from some stressful even that caused "lingering" of serotonin. Tinkering with fats either topically or internally is just palliative. I found that kidney function was involved in my dry skin on the face. From your crono-meter list. I'd cut out all bananas, peas, and grains (oats). The former is high in serotonin while the latter two are irritating for the gut. At the same time, I'd increase calcium, vitamin K (these two helped me).
I've also had success with marshmallow (Althaea off.) root. I used it as tincture (2-3 drops 3x day) but it should be good in any form. It increases flow though the kidneys.

OP
J

Josh

How much liver? Too much vit a could cause this

You could try switching out the coconut oil for olive oil

literally 50g twice a week, definitely not liver because this is the first time ive eat liver this month since last year

julcreutz

I don't think it's anything but the SFA and lack of PUFA/MUFA. I literally experimented with so many variables on carnivore (liver consumption, fat to protein ratio, salt intake, water intake ...) but nothing resolved the waxy, solid sebum.

OP
J

Josh

What about the nutrient part?

obviously calcium is low, i used to eat lots of cheese but stopped a few months back as histamine was causing me issues, starting back with the milk at this amount now

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 09.36.49.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 09.36.49.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 54
OP
J

Josh

I don't think it's anything but the SFA and lack of PUFA/MUFA. I literally experimented with so many variables on carnivore (liver consumption, fat to protein ratio, salt intake, water intake ...) but nothing resolved the waxy, solid sebum.

oh you tried liver huh?? How much was you consuming and for how long??

OP
J

Josh

why don't we both trial this pufa and see what happens ;) i'm sure we wont die hahah

baccheion

obviously calcium is low, i used to eat lots of cheese but stopped a few months back as histamine was causing me issues, starting back with the milk at this amount now
Do you get vitamin D and sodium from supplements? Higher vitamin A can result in dry skin, though I'm unsure if the 10,000-20,000 IU you're getting is enough to cause an issue.

OP
J

Josh

Do you get vitamin D and sodium from supplements? Higher vitamin A can result in dry skin, though I'm unsure if the 10,000-20,000 IU you're getting is enough to cause an issue.

Nope but i use sunbeds all through winter and get out in the sun with no clothes as much as possible now during summer.. Man i just said this is the first time i've eat liver since like september last year.. meaning the only vitamin a ive got in last few months has been from beta carotene and from butter etc.. I've had dry skin before i even started eating liver. Its definitely not the vitamin A lol

julcreutz

Yep, I'm including more olive oil now and lowering the SFA a bit. Going more for a "balanced" diet (god, I hate that word haha). Let's see how that goes

OP
J

Josh

Yep, I'm including more olive oil now and lowering the SFA a bit. Going more for a "balanced" diet (god, I hate that word haha). Let's see how that goes

haha i was the same at first but i obviously our bodys are telling us something, me personally i found ray back in 2017 and found immediate benefits, gradually since then i have balanced the diet out more and things get better all the time! Since December i have actually been eating salmon 1-2x a week and putting olive oil on the odd meal, this has made no difference. The next thing i am going to try is the Sunflower seeds which I NEVER thought i would ever do but i think it really is the pufa that is needed.

julcreutz

I personally will probably never eat nuts/seeds/grains again. They always caused immediate digestive problems. I do really well with tubers and root veggies, but still abstain from above ground vegetation.

How much are you "restricting" SFA? Maybe that's the problem in your case?