Need help with hormonal acne

OP
I

ilovethesea

5magicbeans said:
Just curious...what is your dosage now? And which brand are you using?

Thanks!

I take Erfa and right now I'm at 4.5 grains although I still don't think it is high enough because my pulse is only in the 70s and temperatures don't crack 37. Mind you I only half half my thyroid gland so I need more meds than normal people. Even still I have noticed many improvements, not just skin but with menstrual pain, mood, stress, etc. I used to have persistent elevated liver enzymes, high cortisol, low ferritin on blood tests and all of those have normalized now.

When I started the diet I was switching to NDT from previously being on a Synthroid/NDT combo where the T4 to T3 ratio was really out of whack - 11:1 instead of the 4:1 that Peat recommended to me. I initially made the mistake of lowering how much T4 I was getting, thinking the increased T3 would make up for it, but that actually lowered my temps and I felt worse. It wasn't until I got the T4 up to where it was before that I starting feeling better and warmer. So my opinion is that people should not be afraid to dive in and take the thyroid.... it has produced the most dramatic improvements for me.

Now I take basically double the T4 I used to be on, and quadruple the T3. My doctor freaked out when I reached 3.5 grains and said "nobody is on that amount, that's just unheard of." I haven't told her I've increased to 4.5 and I am dreading my next appointment. She doesn't listen at all when I tell her the long list of improvements I've experienced, she's just focused on how my TSH is "too suppressed" (0.2) and therefore I am "hyper." WTF... I hate dealing with doctors.

EIRE24

ilovethesea said:
post 28652 Just updating my own thread here. I forgot about this one. My skin issues completely cleared as soon as I got on a higher dose of NDT. Just for the record :)

I am having severe acne problems that have sprouted up from nowhere, I never suffered from acne before this. I'm unsure if it is a vitamin deficiency, blood sugar or hormonal issue. It may even be from just an oily face but no matter what I do I cannot seem to solve it and my confidence is rock bottom because of it, it is really bothering me so much. I have tried vitamin A and zinc with no luck. I dont take thyroid and am hesitant to take it without getting proper blood work done which is hard in my country. I have been running a high carb, low fat diet and maybe this isnt working for me. I am generally always cold in my hands, feet and nose and could do with gaining some weight so maybe I should up all macronutrients and do a sort of refeed but I am again hesitant that the acne will flair up eating foods that I havent in a long time. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad

@ilovethesea this is crazy outdated but…. Looking for an update from people who have experienced similar things to me. My acne had cleared for a couple years when I was pregnant and early postpartum. It started returning recently so I started trying to dial in my thyroid but also started progest e again, and my acne is definitely worse since doing that.
Did you ever take the progest e? Or do you still think only increasing your thyroid cured the acne that was in the second half of your cycle (that’s what I’m experiencing now)?

OP
I

ilovethesea

@ilovethesea this is crazy outdated but…. Looking for an update from people who have experienced similar things to me. My acne had cleared for a couple years when I was pregnant and early postpartum. It started returning recently so I started trying to dial in my thyroid but also started progest e again, and my acne is definitely worse since doing that.
Did you ever take the progest e? Or do you still think only increasing your thyroid cured the acne that was in the second half of your cycle (that’s what I’m experiencing now)?
When I wrote to Ray like 10 years ago he said if you get acne before your menstrual cycle it’s a sign that your thyroid is low, at least at that time. I found taking T3 or T3/T4 combo really helped. I’ve experimented with all different doses of thyroid over the years... the most effective was the Mexican stuff but it’s hard for me to get any thyroid meds at all now, being in Canada. I take Thai NDT now and had to lower my dose, but I find even still my skin stays pretty clear. I think it’s the T3 that is key.

Regarding Progest E, yes I’ve been taking it for probably a decade now. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Not sure of the dose but I just squirt some directly from the bottle under the tongue. I find the progesterone and pregnenolone do something to make your skin kind of glow, and almost make your face look more relaxed. It was very noticeable when Idea Labs had the DMSO solvent that made it absorb quickly... people would comment.

But I don’t think the progesterone is as effective as thyroid for acne. I believe there is an old quote floating around somewhere on here where Ray did say that thyroid is more important.

Mad

When I wrote to Ray like 10 years ago he said if you get acne before your menstrual cycle it’s a sign that your thyroid is low, at least at that time. I found taking T3 or T3/T4 combo really helped. I’ve experimented with all different doses of thyroid over the years... the most effective was the Mexican stuff but it’s hard for me to get any thyroid meds at all now, being in Canada. I take Thai NDT now and had to lower my dose, but I find even still my skin stays pretty clear. I think it’s the T3 that is key.

Regarding Progest E, yes I’ve been taking it for probably a decade now. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Not sure of the dose but I just squirt some directly from the bottle under the tongue. I find the progesterone and pregnenolone do something to make your skin kind of glow, and almost make your face look more relaxed. It was very noticeable when Idea Labs had the DMSO solvent that made it absorb quickly... people would comment.

But I don’t think the progesterone is as effective as thyroid for acne. I believe there is an old quote floating around somewhere on here where Ray did say that thyroid is more important.
Thank you for updating, I’ll keep working on my thyroid! 😊

June

Hi have you tried ordering from meds.com.mx? Are they not a reliable source? they say they ship internationally.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals