Finding Optimal Vitamin A And D Levels And Dandruff/acne

tara

I don't have much experience with dandruff.
Peat recommends a weekly serving of liver for vit-A.
Some of us eat smaller servings more often. For quantity, I tend to go by taste. I don't want 100g at once, but I can enjoy 30-40 g 4-5 times a week. (Don't know what this has done to vit-A levels.)

If it is fungal, you could try using dilute vinegar as a conditioner. Fungi tend not to like acid. That's just a topical measure while you figure out the metabolic aspects.
(Vinegar won't dissolve any build up that's already there, though. Baking soda might, but if you try that, I'd strongly recommend rinsing with vinegar after, because baking soda may encourage anything fungal. )

Pet Peeve

Xylitol breaks down the biofilm of the malassesia dandruff yeast. It's very effective and cheap and can be dissolved in shampoo or in water and sprayed or rubbed on scalp. It will crystalize again though if you don't wash it out. I think best to leave on for some hours in the beginning and put some in shampoo for maintenance. Xylitol also neutralizes the corrosive effect of sugar on teeth, so handy if you don't want to or can't brush your teeth several times a day. Just swish some around the mouth.

aarfai

Does anyone know what optimal Vitamin D and A blood levels Peat recommends?

Healthia

Here is the quote from RP that got me interested:

I have severe dandruff and acne. My acne is facial, chest, and back mostly, but I also get pimples on my legs or butt sometimes. Many are big, filled with pus, and appear cystic in nature, however, experts warn against squeezing pimples because it leaves scars. It's not like it gets rid of the cause (physiology) anyway.

After I increased my dosage of cynomel by 3 times, and I feel better, my dandruff actually got worse. Since increasing the metabolism increases vitamin requirement, I guess it's because I have even less vitamin A than before. That's what RP said, that with a very high metabolic rate his requirement for vitamin A was huge.

I ate some liver, and took the standard 200% DV (10,000 IU) per day vitamin A for a few days, but nothing is getting better. My dandruff is horrible now that my metabolic rate is higher, I can comb or shake out the dead skin cells onto a table, then gather them up and make "cakes" out of them.

RP said carotene accumulated in his callouses when he was taking enough vitamin A. I'm cautious about taking high doses because it can reduce vitamin D, and it can also inhibit the thyroid like unsaturated fats. It can give fetuses birth defects. I'm afraid of its potentially toxic effects. And taking too much vitamin D can lead to soft tissue calcification just like its deficiency can. So while I would know from my callouses if I'm taking enough vitamin A, I don't know what to use as an indication if I'm taking too much or too little vitamin D. I am taking 20 drops Thorne vitamin k2 (dermally) to neutralize bleeding risk of aspirin, as I'm taking several grams per day and RP or someone else recommended a drop (1 mg K2) per 325 mg.

I might have a slight vitamin D deficiency since I have delayed phase sleep disorder, or in other words I have for years had trouble falling asleep at a regular, early time and don't get enough sleep because of it. The two were correlated if I'm not mistaken.

USDA placed their vitamin D requirements pretty low, and people take many times the RDA, while the retinol form of vitamin A is often warned about, and people rarely take more than 200% RDA. So I have no idea what the ideal ratio is, and especially considering I probably have a problem with vitamin A deficiency and possibly vitamin D too to some extent.

Not sure if you ever got to the bottom of your issue but I used to have dandruff quite bad and two things that I used made it go away very fast. TMG aka Trimethylglycine help very fast. Also white vinegar poured on the head and face at about 70% strength (dilute with 30% water if you have a low pain threshold 100% will sting) and let to sit for 3-4 minutes worked absolute wonders for me. Although I used it straight non-diluted. Also remember to close your eyes when you do this and best to do it in the shower. From what I understand dandruff is somehow related to the Amount of candida growth on the skin. Vinegar is a natural anti-fungal and somehow will bring the skin back to normal levels of fungus bacteria (I'm guessing here) but it WORKS for about a week or two. Then just repeat. PS: TMG is a methylator and Peat is not fond of methylation but sometime you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited:

Healthia

3-4 what?

also what is 70% strength?

Sorry typing from iPhone.Make sure to thoroughly wet the hair/head/scalp with the vinegar. Leave the vinegar on the Scalp for 3-4 minutes (with eyes closed). Then rinse with water. This is all best done in the shower.

70% strength would mean that you dilute it approx 30% with water. I use it straight non-diluted but if you don't have a high pain threshold this will sting for a bit.

EIRE24

Sorry typing from iPhone.Make sure to thoroughly wet the hair/head/scalp with the vinegar. Leave the vinegar on the Scalp for 3-4 minutes (with eyes closed). Then rinse with water. This is all best done in the shower.

70% strength would mean that you dilute it approx 30% with water. I use it straight non-diluted but if you don't have a high pain threshold this will sting for a bit.
Have you ever done anything to help with candida or yeast internally? Flowers of sulphur?

EIRE24

Despite having dandruff and dermatitis most of my adult life I don't have it anymore and haven't for many months. I'm assuming because of my diet and supplements. You can get a peak at both in my Libido thread:
Lost Libido
I get dermatitis. What supplements do you think helped best with this? I've seen the thread but specifically for dermatitis what helped the most!

Healthia

I get dermatitis. What supplements do you think helped best with this? I've seen the thread but specifically for dermatitis what helped the most!

Here's a little background information. The times at which my dermatitis and dandruff were the worst was during the winter months and also I noticed a correlation between the length of my hair and how bad my dandruff was. The longer my hair was the worse the dandruff and dermatitis became. Unfortunately The only one to one thing that I ever did that I noticed a dramatic change in the reduction of dermatitis and dandruff was the addition of trimethylglycine and of course the vinegar application which I already listed. The things that I have done to change my diet that may have had an impact are as follows: completely illuminated all beans and legumes, completely illuminated all nuts, seeds, wheat products and went on a mostly Pete diet. When I do eat meat protein sources I always make sure to balance out the amino acid profile by taking a good amount of Great Lakes gelatin along with the meal. Hope this helps. Just to be clear though I do not take Trimethylgysine anymore because Peat is generally against methylation.

Last edited:

EIRE24

Here's a little background information. The times at which my dermatitis and dandruff were the worst was during the winter months and also I noticed a correlation between the length of my hair and how bad my dandruff was. The longer my hair was the worse the dandruff and dermatitis became. Unfortunately The only one to one thing that I ever did that I noticed a dramatic change in the reduction of dermatitis and dandruff was the addition of trimethyl glycine and of course the vinegar application which I already listed. The things that I have done to change my diet that may have had an impact are as follows: completely illuminated all beans and legunes, completely illuminated all nuts, seeds, wheat products and went on a mostly Pete diet. When I do eat meat protein sources whether they are way protein or chicken or redmeat I always make sure to balance out the amino acid profile by taking a good amount of Great Lakes gelatin along with the meal. Hope this helps. Just to be clear though I do not take Trimethylgysine anymore because Peat is generally against methylation.
Thanks for the reply. I take glycine rather than gelatin as I don't trust the gelatin supplements due to contamination. I've found zinc has helped with my problem of acne and dermatitis but didn't eliminate it

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

tomisonbottom

Here is the quote from RP that got me interested:

I have severe dandruff and acne. My acne is facial, chest, and back mostly, but I also get pimples on my legs or butt sometimes. Many are big, filled with pus, and appear cystic in nature, however, experts warn against squeezing pimples because it leaves scars. It's not like it gets rid of the cause (physiology) anyway.

After I increased my dosage of cynomel by 3 times, and I feel better, my dandruff actually got worse. Since increasing the metabolism increases vitamin requirement, I guess it's because I have even less vitamin A than before. That's what RP said, that with a very high metabolic rate his requirement for vitamin A was huge.

I ate some liver, and took the standard 200% DV (10,000 IU) per day vitamin A for a few days, but nothing is getting better. My dandruff is horrible now that my metabolic rate is higher, I can comb or shake out the dead skin cells onto a table, then gather them up and make "cakes" out of them.

RP said carotene accumulated in his callouses when he was taking enough vitamin A. I'm cautious about taking high doses because it can reduce vitamin D, and it can also inhibit the thyroid like unsaturated fats. It can give fetuses birth defects. I'm afraid of its potentially toxic effects. And taking too much vitamin D can lead to soft tissue calcification just like its deficiency can. So while I would know from my callouses if I'm taking enough vitamin A, I don't know what to use as an indication if I'm taking too much or too little vitamin D. I am taking 20 drops Thorne vitamin k2 (dermally) to neutralize bleeding risk of aspirin, as I'm taking several grams per day and RP or someone else recommended a drop (1 mg K2) per 325 mg.

I might have a slight vitamin D deficiency since I have delayed phase sleep disorder, or in other words I have for years had trouble falling asleep at a regular, early time and don't get enough sleep because of it. The two were correlated if I'm not mistaken.

USDA placed their vitamin D requirements pretty low, and people take many times the RDA, while the retinol form of vitamin A is often warned about, and people rarely take more than 200% RDA. So I have no idea what the ideal ratio is, and especially considering I probably have a problem with vitamin A deficiency and possibly vitamin D too to some extent.

How is it going now with the vitamin levels and acne/dandruff?

RealNeat

My 2 cents. I've had dandruff on and off throughout my life and short bursts of mild acne. Here are the things I noticed.

1. Whenever Im in contact with chlorine on my skin and hair I have some kind of reaction, usually dandruff and flaky skin with rosacea and sinus issues (especially if the shower is hot) so a shower de-chlorinator is a must. ( I personally only shower once a week and try to stay clean, change my clothes often etc)

2. EMF heavy places seem to increase chronic cellular stress having a whole host of negative effects. My mother gets eczema from living in an apartment of 60+ units all with their own routers and wireless tech. I shut off her most localized source (her router) and the eczema started to heal and dissappear.

3. I never touch or pop my zits. I let them do their thing and that usually keeps them in check while never leaving scars.

4. A focus on liver is being made here but dont forget the low PUFA seafood and oysters for a myriad of minerals like zinc and copper, which is crucial for skin health.

5. Too much starch can play with blood sugar a lot. Focusing on sucrose from orange juice and the daily carrot can prevent candida like symptoms and increase efficient absorption of sugar. The magnesium in OJ will assist with mitigating the EMF induced calcium influx to cells (aka chronic stress) and regulate proper copper transport via ceruloplasmin, this will also assist with iron regulation.

5. Be careful with non-food fat soluble vitamins.

RealNeat

6. Coconut oil on the carrots and the diet in general can be very effective against yeasts and pathogens. Med Olive oil is very hydrating/ lubricating to skin and taken internally.

gaze

My 2 cents. I've had dandruff on and off throughout my life and short bursts of mild acne. Here are the things I noticed.

1. Whenever Im in contact with chlorine on my skin and hair I have some kind of reaction, usually dandruff and flaky skin with rosacea and sinus issues (especially if the shower is hot) so a shower de-chlorinator is a must. ( I personally only shower once a week and try to stay clean, change my clothes often etc)

2. EMF heavy places seem to increase chronic cellular stress having a whole host of negative effects. My mother gets eczema from living in an apartment of 60+ units all with their own routers and wireless tech. I shut off her most localized source (her router) and the eczema started to heal and dissappear.

3. I never touch or pop my zits. I let them do their thing and that usually keeps them in check while never leaving scars.

4. A focus on liver is being made here but dont forget the low PUFA seafood and oysters for a myriad of minerals like zinc and copper, which is crucial for skin health.

5. Too much starch can play with blood sugar a lot. Focusing on sucrose from orange juice and the daily carrot can prevent candida like symptoms and increase efficient absorption of sugar. The magnesium in OJ will assist with mitigating the EMF induced calcium influx to cells (aka chronic stress) and regulate proper copper transport via ceruloplasmin, this will also assist with iron regulation.

5. Be careful with non-food fat soluble vitamins.

which de chlorinator do you use?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals