Acne Update (pics)

Brasica

Hi guys

This is a post that is long overdue.

I've had pretty awful acne on my back since I was maybe 14 and approaching life through a Peat lens really helped clear it up.

Back in May I wanted to put what I had learnt through Peat to the test by going on an 'anti-peat' (sorry) diet. I had mostly got my back acne under control by this point so I thought I'd do it as a little n=1 study for the forum.

the anti-peat diet lasted for maybe 20 days and I was eating things like: shreddies + rice milk, loads of tofu, nuts, oatmeal, beans, factory farmed chicken etc - you get the idea.

Within this time I managed to get my acne back to the level it was when I was eating SAD. This first pic is what it looked like:
FullSizeRender2.jpg

It's also worth noting that this diet nuked the outer 3rd of my eyebrows which I'm still struggling to reverse :disrelieved:. My RHR also tanked within 2 weeks, going from 85 to 45 bpm. My sleep quality reduced massively. With peat I'm used to falling asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow but this took me back to my days of 45 mins to fall asleep and getting up in the middle of the night to pee. My face bloated up a lot. My mood became less stable. My nose also blocked up completely for the entire 20 days.

I then stopped the diet and went back to peat inspired, albeit not as strict as I was before. I never really got around to the second half of the 'study' which was to strict peat in order to resolve the issues that had arisen. I was living back at home over the summer and was really lazy with what I ate. would just eat fruit and cheese and ice cream throughout the day but then eat whatever my dad made in the evening (often a curry or fish pie) and ice cream for dessert. all of the issues above mostly cleared up but my acne stuck around and my nose is still less functional than I'd like it to be and my eyebrows didn't come back in too well.

Recently I moved up to London so have been thinking about food etc and thought I should try to resolve my acne. I have pretty much done that now, although it still isn't perfect. see pic 2:
20161023.jpg

My dinners are still a bit sketchy as I have been eating out and I have also been drinking wine on a few occasions which isn't helping.

I now walk maybe 3 or 4 miles per day which has def got my lymph moving. I'm back on the liver train and see improvements every time i eat it. I'm useless at taking supps but have found an awesome smoothie which is the thing that has made the most notable difference with my back. It has really balanced the oil levels of my skin. its the Naked Blue Machine Smoothie. It isn't perfect in terms of ingredients but it seems to work for me and tastes great. I'm drinking a 750ml one every other day. here are the nutrient stats for it:
20161023 BLUE MACHINE.jpg

I'm also making sure that I have enough variety of foods around me so that I can just eat to taste which seems to be moving me in the right direction.

Things that I have noticed that break me out (other than obvious things): Dried fruit and fruit high in histamine (like figs/dates/raisins). Milk still causes acne, although ice cream doesn't seem too bad and cheese doesn't seem to have much effect. Potatoes aren't great. Rice isn't perfect either although it's my staple dinner carb at the moment. Too much meat. Feeling stressed for long periods of time. Not being happy or laughing. Touching my skin. Not washing daily. Not getting enough B vits or vit E.

My nose is fairly clear now although it's a little stuffy in the morning and also when I eat too much dairy. a glass of oj and a coffee normally clear it up though. I think this is because I am not eating enough still.

My eyebrows still aren't coming in - dairy and coffee seem to be the culprits.

I think I'll stop this post here as I'm rambling. I'm sure I've forgotten important stuff so if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks for the help guys

-Dex

Dopamine

Massive difference man great job! Thanks for posting

ilovethesea

Amazing results! I have a friend who used to get awful cystic acne on her chin and it went away for good when she stopped having those nut milks / soy milk.

Is there a specific vitamin in the smoothie you think is helping your skin? The B6 maybe? Or the vitamin E?

OP
B

Brasica

Hi ilovethesea - Sorry I only just saw this!

Yeah the fake milks are awful for acne...

I honestly don't think it is the b6. I went through a period of taking p5p for my acne and it didn't help. I also don't think it is the E for the same reasons - used to have an entire bottle of the stuff and never got rid of my spots.

I think it must be the b12, possibly the niacin. I've never taken a b12 supplement and my mother is a lifelong vegetarian. Nothing has ever cleared my back up like this. dried the skin on my back and face up a lot (in a good way).

EIRE24

I have the acne problem. It is such a drag to have and can make you very concious so I know the feeling. I'm sorry but apart from the smoothie and a small bit of exercise, what was it that changed the acne? I didn't pick up on that?

InChristAlone

Niacinamide could be one of the vitamins in that smoothie doing wonders for your skin.

amethyst

Very interesting! And contrats to the op. I've always had good skin (don't hate me, I have just been fortunate in that regard) except, a few years ago I was under a GREAT deal of stress and then began to break out in a lot of little red bumps on my face. I was really surprised as I was thinking it was acne but it was more like rosacea.It didn't go away until after a couple of months, co-inciding with the stress going away. So, my conclusion is, stress can be a very big factor in skin issues. Stress also effected my gut- around the same time, so I feel perhaps, that the stress(creating high histamine?) had an effect on my digestion, leading to an overgrowth of bad bacteria, which then led to manifesting bumps on my face.

So, I think trying to keep your stress levels at bay will have a major impact on one's skin. Easier said than done. Now I don't react to stress the same way I did before. I was internalizing things before. Things tend to roll off me more now but you still have to take steps to be aware of how you are reacting to something and deal with it instead of "stuffing" it emotionally. Also, if you are in a very stressful environment, you need to take steps to rectify that- like change where you live, change jobs, etc. That will help.

bohogirl

Last summer I was drinking lots of naked juice. Not the best but it was around and so I drank it. Mostly the green machine, blue machine, and mango. Skin was better. I was also exercising though and avoiding food that breaks me out.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals