Why Do I Have Acne After Introducing Butter, Milk And Cheese?

Richiebogie

I think fruits are great as long as you wash your mouth soon or eat something else after to get it off your teeth.

I think I'll eat more potatoes and fruit that Ray Peat recommends, washing my mouth with vinegar later. Also cutting out milk for now... Thanks for the advice all.

Hi Welshwing. Not sure what you have been up to since this post but I would be more worried about the acid in vinegar stripping my teeth of its enamel than the harm sugar can do feeding bacteria etc.

Also, milk and fruit can provide a lot of good ingredients to feed your saliva and regrow your teeth from the outside. (I believe the saliva acts like a blood supply!)

Any updates on your dental status?

OP
W

welshwing

Hi Welshwing. Not sure what you have been up to since this post but I would be more worried about the acid in vinegar stripping my teeth of its enamel than the harm sugar can do feeding bacteria etc.

Also, milk and fruit can provide a lot of good ingredients to feed your saliva and regrow your teeth from the outside. (I believe the saliva acts like a blood supply!)

Any updates on your dental status?
Yeah it's been a long time. If you want to know how to keep good dental health just get enough calcium, some Vit D and swish water after every swallow.

First, you're right about saliva. If it's rich in calcium and phosphorus (milk and cheese) then it'll help teeth. Dentists lie by saying saliva only builds tartar and your enamel can't regrow. The opposite is true, you must learn to keep your mouth closed at rest to avoid dry-mouth (ideal environment for germs).

I don't think milk or fruits are bad for teeth as long as you rinse with water - I don't know much about milk acid except that it doesn't really harm teeth. even orange juice might be okay cold because acids are weaker at low temperature (I was thinking of making OJ in slushy ice form)

Last 6 months I did a sort of gross experiment. I didn't brush my teeth more than once per 1-2 weeks, no flossing or dental products. I let tartar and plaque build up. Wanting to see if I would get any cavities under these extreme conditions. I also ate high carbohydrate: potatoes, milk and fruits.

I went to the dentist and found no cavities. All I did was make sure to get enough calcium and vit D, and rinse off particles. I recommend flossing because it removes trapped food that could decay in your mouth,. Gentle brushing and water flossing removes plaque and prevents gum problems by stimulating the gumline. I conclude that you don't need to do anything fancy for oral health, just have a good diet and remove plaque/food.

Lastly, xylitol is a type of sugar that somehow kills immature plaque germs. Oddly they can't eat xylitol so they die out, and new oral germs are born that can eat xylitol - but this new germ type can't stick to teeth. So by introducing xylitol to your mouth you may never have to worry about plaque again. I tried xylitol powder for a while and it did just that (no plaque on teeth, no white stuff on tongue), but when I stopped taking it things returned to normal.

Last edited:

OrangeJuice

Acne sometimes stems from "elevated triglycerides — a high level of fatty acids in the blood. These fatty acids are formed by the liver from excess blood sugars (glucose, fructose, and glucose), and are further augmented by vegetable fats from dressings, fried food, and the like. In turn, blood sugars come from excess carbohydrates that accompany fiber, usually 5 to 10 times as many by weight.

Since young people can't yet efficiently deposit excessive triglycerides into the adipose (fat) tissue, these fats are being 'pushed out' through the sebaceous glands, making the facial skin fat and dry because excess fat blocks moisture.

When some of the sebaceous glands get clogged by excess fat, they provide a perfect breeding ground for trapped bacteria because some bacteria love to devour acidic fats. The ensuing eruption caused by the byproducts of bacterial fermentation become 'acne.' "

-Source: Frequently Asked Questions: Constipation

jyb

Last 6 months I did a sort of gross experiment. I didn't brush my teeth more than once per 1-2 weeks, no flossing or dental products. I let tartar and plaque build up. Wanting to see if I would get any cavities under these extreme conditions. I also ate high carbohydrate: potatoes, milk and fruits

Do you think plaque or tartar itself contributes to cavities? Of course dentists will say that it does and one should floss. But I have always wondered whether it is really a cause.

OP
W

welshwing

Do you think plaque or tartar itself contributes to cavities? Of course dentists will say that it does and one should floss. But I have always wondered whether it is really a cause.

Tartar and plaque cannot, only acid can erode holes into teeth. Because I had it and no cavities, and skulls don't lose teeth after death because the germs need carbohydrates to produce acid. I think cavities are a modern thing since earlier skulls didn't have missing teeth. Even Otzi (new mummy) had gum disease but no missing teeth - people might say he had imperfect teeth (compared to fake veneer smiles) but none are missing and his palate grew wide enough to fit the whole row without needing extractions. I actually think having tartar and plaque is natural, so is yellowing/blackening teeth and receding gumline, but cavities and edentulism are a newer thing. Rinsing off all foreign particles / acid with water and getting enough calcium / Vitamin D is enough to prevent cavities in my case.

OP
W

welshwing

I am hesitant to talk about these things because It makes people feel bad about themselves, but the only reason I care about teeth health is because losing them will cause facial deformity via unnatural bone loss... You need teeth to keep being facially attractive. When children have their teeth extracted, the jaw that it's extracted from will collapse into the empty pocket where the tooth once was. So removing a tooth from the top row will cause the cheekbones to become low and flat, the consequence of this is that (if you're a male) you will become significantly less attractive in the eyes of women. I suspect this is why many teens are anxious about their appearance - drugs like Zoloft have too many side effects (like weight gain) and they assume anxiety is a mental problem, but I think their problem is they realize their faces were ruined by extraction dentistry. It's very common and upsets me.

Overjets are treated by extracting upper teeth because they know it'll cause the upper jaw (your face) to collapse inward and fix the overjet. But this is wrong, they are making children uglier by removing their teeth just to create a more ideal smile. What's more important, your face/beauty or have perfect teeth? Because dentists are obsessed with getting teeth straight, they fail to realize their practices are destroying faces, thus causing health problems. Or they don't care because they make a lot of money per extraction, and they can keep extracting your teeth / filling your cavities until you have none, and then they can sell you expensive false teeth. Dentists are not good for anything except removing tartar which you can't do at home, otherwise they are just fake doctors and scam artists.

DaveFoster

Hello,

I have a very simple problem but I'm worried it might be a sign of further issues. I made a thread questioning the Ray Peat diet, I got a lot of useful responses but some were against green/leafy vegetables which I used to consume a lot. On that advice I started eating butter, milk, eggs, cheese and fruits daily. Butter was put on everything. I've been doing this for about a week and I have two pimples, and scattered acne on my face.

Aren't these foods supposed to be anti-inflammatory? I also notice my face is oilier... Ray Peat claims vegetables are bad but I never had any (noticeable) problems eating a high vegetable, high fiber diet. Now I have acne which is a disease suggesting I have other problems.

I don't know what to eat anymore. I think I'm going to go back to a high vegetable diet, they're really the only food that hasn't had some side effect. The only flaw in my diet is not enough calories due to the fiber filling me up, adding butter solved this problem, so it seemed.

Is there any food that's just good and has no side effects for anybody? Butter, milk and cheese that are natural seemed good but gave me acne, who knows what else. It's very easy to overeat as well.
Acne is caused by inflammation; usually estrogen. Lower your estrogen.

bohogirl

Hello,

I have a very simple problem but I'm worried it might be a sign of further issues. I made a thread questioning the Ray Peat diet, I got a lot of useful responses but some were against green/leafy vegetables which I used to consume a lot. On that advice I started eating butter, milk, eggs, cheese and fruits daily. Butter was put on everything. I've been doing this for about a week and I have two pimples, and scattered acne on my face.

Aren't these foods supposed to be anti-inflammatory? I also notice my face is oilier... Ray Peat claims vegetables are bad but I never had any (noticeable) problems eating a high vegetable, high fiber diet. Now I have acne which is a disease suggesting I have other problems.

I don't know what to eat anymore. I think I'm going to go back to a high vegetable diet, they're really the only food that hasn't had some side effect. The only flaw in my diet is not enough calories due to the fiber filling me up, adding butter solved this problem, so it seemed.

Is there any food that's just good and has no side effects for anybody? Butter, milk and cheese that are natural seemed good but gave me acne, who knows what else. It's very easy to overeat as well.

What kind of milk? Whole? 2%?

I break out from butter, cheese, milk too. I can drink lowfat kefir though.

Ukall

Well, there are some reasons here:
NOTMILK Poster: Z is for ZITS
But as @tca300 well said:
Where has Ray ever said he thinks progesterone is positive for everyone? I talk to him all the time and he has always steered me away from taking it. I couldn't grow a beard until after about 1 year of drinking milk, and it filled in very quick, which wouldn't make sense if it was abnormally high in progesterone. Dewitt and myself have both raised our testosterone and DHT while getting most of our protein from milk. His androgens went up when he replaced meat with milk, as did mine. My libido is better than ever with 1 gallon of milk per day. Ray doesn't recommend high fat dairy so please don't insinuate that he does. The hormones in milk are concentrated in the fat, so low fat varieties would avoid most of the hormones. Your experience is yours, and many, many others don't experience what you do on dairy. It's not dairy that's the problem, it's you, and your gut health. If you feel better without it, don't eat it, but don't discouraged others from trying it just because you don't do well with it.

So gut health is the main issue and I agree.
Btw @tca300, do you have any problems regarding acne or excess of sebum? I'm guessing that you don't, of course.

Wagner83

I have found this link regarding acne and milk, Medscape: Medscape Access, milk undoubtedly gives me acne and backne (awful), it also increases sebum production and leads to hair loss (possibly red spots in the scalp too)
  • Low-fat/skim milk consumption correlated with having acne (0.61 servings of low-fat/skim milk per day in the acne group versus 0.41 servings of low-fat/skim milk per day in the control group; P =.01).

• In contrast, whole milk consumption did not correlate with having acne.
    Viewpoint
    This large case-control study echoes prior reports linking low-fat and skim milk intake to a higher prevalence of acne vulgaris in teenagers. This effect may be due, at least in part, to stimulation of sebaceous glands via transient milk-induced elevations in insulin and insulin-like growth factor-1.[4]

Wagner83

Evidence for acne-promoting effects of milk and other insulinotropic dairy products. - PubMed - NCBI

Evidence for acne-promoting effects of milk and other insulinotropic dairy products.

Melnik BC1.
Author information
Abstract

Acne vulgaris, the most common skin disease of western civilization, has evolved to an epidemic affecting more than 85% of adolescents. Acne can be regarded as an indicator disease of exaggerated insulinotropic western nutrition. Especially milk and whey protein-based products contribute to elevations of postprandial insulin and basal insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) plasma levels. It is the evolutional principle of mammalian milk to promote growth and support anabolic conditions for the neonate during the nursing period. Whey proteins are most potent inducers of glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide secreted by enteroendocrine K cells which in concert with hydrolyzed whey protein-derived essential amino acids stimulate insulin secretion of pancreatic β-cells. Increased insulin/IGF-I signaling activates the phosphoinositide-3 kinase/Akt pathway, thereby reducing the nuclear content of the transcription factor FoxO1, the key nutrigenomic regulator of acne target genes. Nuclear FoxO1 deficiency has been linked to all major factors of acne pathogenesis, i.e. androgen receptor transactivation, comedogenesis, increased sebaceous lipogenesis, and follicular inflammation. The elimination of the whey protein-based insulinotropic mechanisms of milk will be the most important future challenge for nutrition research. Both, restriction of milk consumption or generation of less insulinotropic milk will have an enormous impact on the prevention of epidemic western diseases like obesity, diabetes mellitus, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases and acne.

The last line is interesting outside of the acne realm.

Waynish

I don't believe anyone should be getting cavities by not brushing nor by not writing their mouth after fruit! It you feel your teeth going, then something is out of balance!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals