I Need Whole Milk

benaoao

That’s interesting considering most seem to rely on high vitamin A to cure some of their ailments. What’s your opinion on beta carotenoids then? I like sweet potatoes better than regular potatoes from a nutrition standpoint

OP
S

stargazer1111

It is generally impossible to overdose on vitamin A from carotenoids. Most likely, humans evolved consuming mostly beta-carotene and not pre-formed vitamin A since we have a clear mechanism for converting beta-carotene into retinol but no real mechanism for excreting excess retinol. Getting rid of excess retinol can take years.

The only people who should be consuming pre-formed retinol are the people with the genetic mutation inhibiting beta-carotene conversion and with them, the consumption should be extremely regulated. No more than 800 IU per day.

My research as a scientist is going to center around vitamin A metabolism and the more I study this substance, the more I am convinced that people are chronically overdosing on it in industrialized nations through excessive dairy consumption, vitamin supplements, and fortified foods.

sunraiser

It is generally impossible to overdose on vitamin A from carotenoids. Most likely, humans evolved consuming mostly beta-carotene and not pre-formed vitamin A since we have a clear mechanism for converting beta-carotene into retinol but no real mechanism for excreting excess retinol. Getting rid of excess retinol can take years.

The only people who should be consuming pre-formed retinol are the people with the genetic mutation inhibiting beta-carotene conversion and with them, the consumption should be extremely regulated. No more than 800 IU per day.

My research as a scientist is going to center around vitamin A metabolism and the more I study this substance, the more I am convinced that people are chronically overdosing on it in industrialized nations through excessive dairy consumption, vitamin supplements, and fortified foods.

Be careful to research with an open mind then- it feels like you have your conclusion in mind already :)

I’m interested in this but it feels incorrect. With sufficient zinc, vit k, magnesium,vit d, vit c and copper you should be metabolising and transporting retinol - I have had some really positive experiences with lambs liver so I really cant wholly agree with your hypothesis.

Regarding tuna, it’s very rich in selenium to bind to mercury so you’re not going to be ingesting much, and potatoes are not reliable sources of iodine. They’re inconsistent. Note you must eat the skins for iodine, too.

Iodine deficiency is incredibly unpleasant. I figured it was worth being wary of without dairy.

You have a lot of food and nutrient worries and fears man. There are no heroes and villains in health - you must always add context.

I cannot find the study but I read vitamin C can clear excess retinol, as can vitamin D.

OP
S

stargazer1111

Be careful to research with an open mind then- it feels like you have your conclusion in mind already :)

I’m interested in this but it feels incorrect. With sufficient zinc, vit k, magnesium,vit d, vit c and copper you should be metabolising and transporting retinol - I have had some really positive experiences with lambs liver so I really cant wholly agree with your hypothesis.

Regarding tuna, it’s very rich in selenium to bind to mercury so you’re not going to be ingesting much, and potatoes are not reliable sources of iodine. They’re inconsistent. Note you must eat the skins for iodine, too.

Iodine deficiency is incredibly unpleasant. I figured it was worth being wary of without dairy.

You have a lot of food and nutrient worries and fears man. There are no heroes and villains in health - you must always add context.

I cannot find the study but I read vitamin C can clear excess retinol, as can vitamin D.

I have come to no such conclusion. I have proposed a hypothesis which is based on the hundreds of papers on vitamin A that I have read during the course of writing a grant proposal to do work on retinol metabolism. A hypothesis is always going to appear biased because it is essentially an educated guess as to an explanation for an observation. Of course, the hypothesis could be wrong and that will be fleshed out in the coming years as I test it in the lab.

I have observed in the literature that retinol is an exceptionally toxic molecule as evidenced by the manner in which it must be carefully metabolized by the body. Any retinol not bound to retinol-binding protein is toxic and this has been demonstrated quite well in the literature. Whether something "feels incorrect" or not is irrelevant. The majority of the data that I have seen support my hypothesis. And, really, this hypothesis does not originate with me. There are a number of medical doctors and scientists who have proposed this hypothesis over the last few decades.

Anecdotal experiences can't count as evidence because they are not independently verifiable. You personally may have had a positive experience with lamb's liver, but you could also be an exception to the rule. There is no way to know for sure.

From what literature I have read, vitamin D does not increase the clearance of retinol nor does vitamin C. Vitamin C may help to protect the body from the increased production of reactive oxygen species in the presence of excess retinol, but I haven't seen evidence of it speeding up the clearance of retinol. However, vitamin E has been shown to reverse hypervitaminosis A in rats.

smith

Has anyone ever seen little black fibers/hairs in their milk? I just opened up a bottle of "Organic Valley Grassmilk" pasteurized milk and poured it into 4 different clean containers; bowls/cups etc. Every one had at least one little black fiber. What is this?

Last edited:

cyclops

But then again, saturated fats don't appear particular harmful and represent a great fuel source (much better than cooked starch, in my opinion)

So if you didn't have access to any sugar and had to pick between clean starch or coconut oil as the fuel for your body to run on, you'd pick coconut oil? I would think starch would be the better option because the body does better on some form of carbohydrate.

Liver is also something I would never consume. After having studied vitamin A in my spare time outside of the lab for about a year now, I have come to the tentative conclusion that people should be consuming no more than about 800 IU per day. I think the current rda of 3000-5000 IU per day is far too high. Pre-formed vitamin A is a relatively toxic compound and this is evidenced by the way it is handled in the body. It must be chaperoned by a protein and any vitamin A not chaperoned by this protein causes cell death.

I wonder what Peat would say to this, as he highly recommends liver for most people. Maybe I'll stop taking supplemental Retinol, you got me concerned with the chaperoned protein thing.

smith

Pubic hair are androgenic.
Are you sure the white stuff is milk and not something else? lol
Are you asking me if the bottle of milk could have been filled with a questionable substance other than milk as a joke? lol so interesting dude haha!!!! I guess jokes about reproductive fluids in food are still funny to some people, even in adulthood!

What interesting, helpful, and informative replies. It's great to be on a forum where people take your questions seriously instead of just scoff and reply with sarcasm to something that they're unfamiliar with. Kidding, your replies are useless garbage

Last edited:
OP
S

stargazer1111

Are you asking me if the bottle of milk could have been filled with a questionable substance other than milk as a joke? lol so interesting dude haha!!!! I guess jokes about reproductive fluids in food are still funny to some people, even in adulthood!

What interesting, helpful, and informative replies. It's great to be on a forum where people take your questions seriously instead of just scoff and reply with sarcasm to something that they're unfamiliar with

Wow. Take a chill pill dude. Life isn't that serious.

Kidding, kiss my ****, b****.

Last edited:

Wagner83

What interesting, helpful, and informative replies. It's great to be on a forum where people take your questions seriously instead of just scoff and reply with sarcasm to something that they're unfamiliar with. Kidding, your replies are useless garbage
There was no sarcasm, just a simple joke. I can't help I never heard of something as you describe being present in milk.

DaveFoster

So if you didn't have access to any sugar and had to pick between clean starch or coconut oil as the fuel for your body to run on, you'd pick coconut oil? I would think starch would be the better option because the body does better on some form of carbohydrate.

I wonder what Peat would say to this, as he highly recommends liver for most people. Maybe I'll stop taking supplemental Retinol, you got me concerned with the chaperoned protein thing.
Coconut oil has no nutrients, and it raises CO2 less than simple sugars; however, it supports sugar metabolism by suppressing the use of unsaturated fats for energy. Coconut oil also has antibiotic effects and, like other fats, stimulates the intestine, so it has anti-inflammatory effects in the gut.

Starch, when boiled has easier digestibility, and consuming starch along with some fat prevents the persorption of starch through the intestine by slowing digestibility, and also the fat stimulates the intestine. Some starches, such as potatoes have many benefits not shared by other starches. For example, when well cooked and ideally, the low resistant starch component of potato minimizes its use as food for gut bacteria, and its high glycemic index and relatively large size places it as the most satiating food and thus markedly effective for weight loss with a minimization of fat in the diet. Potatoes also have every nutrient in relative abundance with the exception of B12.

Eating just a small amount of fat with starches seem to yield beneficial effects on digestion, and although there appears to be some problems with consuming starch with dairy, low-fat milk provides some water content without the abundance of fat in whole milk.

some people—I'm certainly not talking about industry-funded Weston A. Price Foundation—would see this added control as a benefit

Literally burst out laughing. Those quacks...

Where could I find the study on kinetics of the absorption of shorter chains of fatty acids? The one with radioactive carbon 14 in Breath. Thanks a lot

Re.Generate

I'm not concerned with modern Brits. I'm talking about pre-vitamin D supplements which was only in the last 20-40 years. How did the biggest empire do everything it did for hundreds of years without vitamin D supplements? Not to mention the thousands of years of evolution in those areas of Europe prior to the empire of people successfully surviving and reproducing with what eventually was high IQ people. And yes many people didn't live long but many people also did live long into their 80's and 90's at the same time. Paul Revere lived to be 83 years old without taking a vitamin D supplement while living in cloudy Boston. And I'm not just talking about Britain. I'm talking about anywhere that there was not that much sunlight or only sunlight in the summer in areas of successful peoples for thousands of years prior to vitamin D supplements. That would include parts of China and some others. I can see how the Tahitians had chiefs that grew up to 7 feet tall because it's the tropics but the vikings were tall and strong and they didn't live and evolve in the tropics and had no vitamin D supplements.

No it's not because vitamin C and vitamin D are different. The fat solubility of D makes it very different. But even still it takes a while to get scurvy. You don't need every nutrient every day. Peat said this in one of the Roddy interviews.
I realize this is an older thread but to add in for prosperity’s sake.

argument doesn’t make sense in a Peat world view - so many of the things we practice here are based on the idea that actually we need MORE than our ancestors did - and are living in a different environment than they did.

plus we have far more deficiencies in general than they did - even 50 or 100 years ago people were far more likely to be eating organ meats and such and to not be low on nutrients in the way we are now.

all it takes to stop efficiently getting D from the sun is a riboflavin deficiency.