Re-introducing Dairy

Swandattur

Probably my parents didn't enforce the everyone comes to the dinner table rule, because, of course, they wouldn't want a bunch of kids turning green and and gagging in front of them while they're trying to eat their, to them, delectable treat.

Interesting about polysaccharides and oligosaccharides in gelatin. I think I read something about that somewhere. Maybe that's one reason I get an allergy response to it.

Rolan

Surely broth is a good way of getting minerals from vegetables without having to digest that crap? Providing you put veg in it of course. My experiments with broths are unsubstantiated so far. I'm just not sure what the effort of doing them is providing me with.

Tourist

So from what I can tell, dairy is pretty essential. I used to have bad eczema, pimples, and rashes. The first dietary change I made was quitting gluten which got rid of major brain fog, fatigue, and migraines. A couple months later I quit dairy and the eczema, pimples, and rashes went away as well. But perhaps they disappeared because of the lack of gluten too and it just took longer. Anyway I'm leery of consuming dairy again because there is a chance it's causing an autoimmune response. Plus lactose causes stomach distress and I already have small intestine bacterial overgrowth.

So what should I do? Could it be the casein? Maybe goat milk would be better?
Or maybe it's all due to lactose...so should I try lactose free milk instead?

From what I've gathered, in people that have poor digestion/leaky gut lactose causes stomach distress (by increasing bacteria in the small intestine) and casein causes autoimmune response by leaking through the gut wall (same as gluten).

I have tried goat cheese and seem to do well with it. But... it's cultured and does have microbial enzymes so should I quit that?

I'm trying to heal from Hashimoto's, metabolic syndrome, PCOS, and severe chronic constipation so I feel I should avoid causing and autoimmune attack but milk seems to be essential for healing from the aforementioned things. Gosh, I really do miss milk. (I've been drinking almond milk, has no carageenan but does have some guar gum and added calcium)

So basically...
Is it better to avoid milk altogether than to risk an autoimmune flare up?
I really love the goat cheese and eat it everyday. But should I avoid it due to the enzymes; if so what should I eat instead to get the calcium and protein (but not the lactose and casein)?

I'm really interested to hear of how your elimination of dairy/eggs has gone. I'm suffering in a similar way with milk and eggs--and hashi's. I think I did too much too soon as I tried milk for several days but then added eggs a few days after and my gut suffered but because I did it so fast I'm not sure of the culprit. In retrospect, I see my desperation for better mood/metabolism lead me to make too many changes too quickly. But in defense of my sleep deprived brain, I did the best I could considering how sleep deprived I am.

Please post your update!!