Dairy Fat Successfully Replaced My Thyroid Medication

dand

Unfortunately, it's too late :/. She had her thyroid removed and I am just trying to help her manage it as best as possible. Thank yo for sharing though!

amethyst

After more than two years of being on thyroid medication (cytomel), I have finally gotten off of it. Gotten off that is without experiencing negative symptoms. I haven't gotten a blood test to confirm any levels of anything, but as far as symptoms go, when I stopped taking thyroid my insomnia would return within 24 hours, as well the severe all-over body ache, cold temperatures, pale extremities, fatigue, etc.

I had gained back ten pounds after trying some other things, and I was feeling fairly let down and really shitty. I wasn't really taking my thyroid. I was starting to run out of my latest refill and was making it stretch. I realized I hadn't been as keen on dairy as I had been before, when I had lost weight and felt good. I was feeling fed up and decided to **** it all and just load up on dairy fat.

Since whole milk has had the cream removed, I added cream to my milk (1 pint for a whole gallon), in addition have been consuming 1 stick (1/4 lb) of butter a day (1/2 in the am 1/2 before bed), and have been consuming a quart of half-and-half at lunch time along with other high-dairy foods while avoiding sources of PUFA like chicken.

It had the immediate effect of making me feel satiated like I haven't been for a while. I gained more weight for the first two days but then that stopped. It also raised my body temperature, but only for brief periods during the day. After about five days I stopped aching, and I started to notice a more consistent body temperature. I was still a little cold in the mornings but I wasn't aching, and instead of taking 2 or 3 hours to warm up I warmed up immediately. I've now been off thyroid for two whole weeks and I feel amazing. I've lost 5 lbs. I've continued taking my aspirin and supplements, but the large amount of dairy fat seems like it has finally freed me from my medication. I haven't felt uncomfortably cold for the last two whole days! My pulse is consistently strong and on the fast side. I've never been able to go more than four days without it, without feeling like I was going to die. Not only do I not feel that way, I feel pretty good.

It's a lot of fat, but Dairy is the closest physiological food to something perfect for humans. I think a lot of milk troubles come from the reduced fat. Even whole cow milk has less fat content than human breast milk, so whole milk might not actually be as physiologically correct as it should be, and I find myself enjoying milk more when I add cream to it anyway.

I could easily see alcohol users gaining weight from adding this much fat to their diet, since the body under the stress of alcohol is stimulated to store fat. Rather than not increasing dairy I'd suggest going sober for a while.

Failure to reduce PUFA sources if doing high-dairy fat might not have the beneficial effects I've experienced. I think the benefit comes from the very high ratio of good fats to bad fats, and having sources of PUFA in the diet while doing this would reduce that high ratio.

I'm not calorie counting or measuring. Just literally consuming large amounts of dairy fat along with my regular meals, but incidentally am not as hungry as usual so they've been less often or smaller than usual (though because of the fat calories are still up around 3.5k-4k a day). Fruit, potato chips made in coconut oil, potatoes, vegetables, and my casein protein shake with cane sugar feature prominently.

Potato Chips in coconut oil:

I bought these the other day : Jackson's Honest Sea Salt Potato Chips Made with Coconut Oil

They were pretty good for when you just have to have something crunchy.

Elize

natedawgghg. Oh wow that is amazing. I am also on Cytomel but compounded as a slow release T3, Levoxyl and Nature Throid. Levoxyl alone makes my T4 too high so the added Nature Throid gives me some T4 and helps with my T3 levels. Due to my T3 being still to low my doctor added the compunded T3 as I struggle with being shaky most of the time. Introducing a tablespoon of Haagen Dazs vanilla ice-cream at bed time and in the morning slowly seems to help me to be less shaky. At least according to the celiacs site the ice cream is gluten free. I struggle with the dairy though. I started using cream about 3 weeks ago. found I became tired and have a very sore throat. Scanning through what the culprit could be found that the cream I use contains gluten. I thought I was just buying a good quality pasture raised cream, never for an inkling did I think a thickening agent would be added to the cream. Which brand of milk or cream do you use. I am trying to join a raw milk club in my area.

redlight

Would have been nice to see a before and after blood result to acquire real data instead of just "I feel" and I'm not sure why you were on only T3 unless you had pre blood work of TSH, Freet3,Free t4 and Reverse T3

jaywills

Hi @natedawggh. Would be interesting to hear an update on this, if you would be so kind.
- Have you had to resort back to your thyroid meds?
- Are you still consuming full fat dairy?
- What macros are you currently at?; I know you've tinkered with low-fat in the past

Shin

Have you tested this with butter? I'am not too keen on the low quality milk I get here...

Steve123

Most people are afraid of gaining weight on it, or that the estrogen and other hormones are concentrated in the fat part of the milk.
Is there really enough estrogen and hormones in the whole milk to switch to skimmed/semi skimmed?

Crazycoco

Congratulations!

"The fat you eat is the fat you hit".

John Fatdougall

Fat is good, fulfilling, and broda barnes and i like That. But be careful with the calories because as says a science journalist

"In the end, it's all about calories"

Calory Taubes

Waynish

I don't understand how in the Peat paradigm people are still trying to count and manipulate macronutrients! If there is a macronutrient you cannot eat as much as you crave, then there's a problem with the system. The edge case is craving too much of something - and the common case is you need to improve your health in some way to handle these macronutrients properly. Do people really see chocolate and think, "hmmm how many calories of carbs did I have today, maybe I can have that?" I see steak, chocolate, and vegetables and I think basically what homer Simpson things.

Crazycoco

Yeah ultimately macros dont count. However some people feel better with more fat like myself

There's an article on fats in Ray's archive in which he talks about saturated fats stopping the stress response and unstaturated fats compounding the stress response, and part of the stress response is the increase of intracellular calcium, and that's generally the part which is disruptive to cell function. Since sat. Fat interrupts the stress response it helps keep calcium outside of cells where it belongs.
But Ray Peat said calcium ingestion prevents soft tissues calcification. The only thing that causes such calcification is parathyroid hormone, stimulated by low blood calcium level.

Steve123

After more than two years of being on thyroid medication (cytomel), I have finally gotten off of it. Gotten off that is without experiencing negative symptoms. I haven't gotten a blood test to confirm any levels of anything, but as far as symptoms go, when I stopped taking thyroid my insomnia would return within 24 hours, as well the severe all-over body ache, cold temperatures, pale extremities, fatigue, etc.

I had gained back ten pounds after trying some other things, and I was feeling fairly let down and really shitty. I wasn't really taking my thyroid. I was starting to run out of my latest refill and was making it stretch. I realized I hadn't been as keen on dairy as I had been before, when I had lost weight and felt good. I was feeling fed up and decided to **** it all and just load up on dairy fat.

Since whole milk has had the cream removed, I added cream to my milk (1 pint for a whole gallon), in addition have been consuming 1 stick (1/4 lb) of butter a day (1/2 in the am 1/2 before bed), and have been consuming a quart of half-and-half at lunch time along with other high-dairy foods while avoiding sources of PUFA like chicken.

It had the immediate effect of making me feel satiated like I haven't been for a while. I gained more weight for the first two days but then that stopped. It also raised my body temperature, but only for brief periods during the day. After about five days I stopped aching, and I started to notice a more consistent body temperature. I was still a little cold in the mornings but I wasn't aching, and instead of taking 2 or 3 hours to warm up I warmed up immediately. I've now been off thyroid for two whole weeks and I feel amazing. I've lost 5 lbs. I've continued taking my aspirin and supplements, but the large amount of dairy fat seems like it has finally freed me from my medication. I haven't felt uncomfortably cold for the last two whole days! My pulse is consistently strong and on the fast side. I've never been able to go more than four days without it, without feeling like I was going to die. Not only do I not feel that way, I feel pretty good.

It's a lot of fat, but Dairy is the closest physiological food to something perfect for humans. I think a lot of milk troubles come from the reduced fat. Even whole cow milk has less fat content than human breast milk, so whole milk might not actually be as physiologically correct as it should be, and I find myself enjoying milk more when I add cream to it anyway.

I could easily see alcohol users gaining weight from adding this much fat to their diet, since the body under the stress of alcohol is stimulated to store fat. Rather than not increasing dairy I'd suggest going sober for a while.

Failure to reduce PUFA sources if doing high-dairy fat might not have the beneficial effects I've experienced. I think the benefit comes from the very high ratio of good fats to bad fats, and having sources of PUFA in the diet while doing this would reduce that high ratio.

I'm not calorie counting or measuring. Just literally consuming large amounts of dairy fat along with my regular meals, but incidentally am not as hungry as usual so they've been less often or smaller than usual (though because of the fat calories are still up around 3.5k-4k a day). Fruit, potato chips made in coconut oil, potatoes, vegetables, and my casein protein shake with cane sugar feature prominently.

Any update to this Nate? or how long did you actually consume this much on a daily basis? I think i need a similar protocol atm myself !

D

Deleted member 5487

Most people are afraid of gaining weight on it, or that the estrogen and other hormones are concentrated in the fat part of the milk.

If People want to lose weight they should stop drinking milk for it's high tryptophan and anti thyroid amino content.

One thing should come to mind when you drink milk. "Growth"

The diary fat itself is great. Particularly grass fed butter,Ghee or even better(best) Non-Homogenized heavy cream with intact fat gobuals.

Last edited by a moderator: