Commercial Food List

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jenn said:
or you are paying for marketing.....

Unless you have a noticeable reaction to one brand over another, which does happen, it's better to save your money for other things. IMO.

I agree. A lot of times, a source will come from the same manufacturer but will have a dozen different companies selling it under different names. The company selling it will charge according to who they are marketing it to. I use to think the highest money paid got the best product. Not anymore.

4peatssake

Shrimp said:
Found these espresso candies at the grocery store; they taste great and the ingredients looked pretty good to me! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GA ... d_i=507846

(Glucose, Cane Sugar, Glycerine, Coconut Oil, Coffee Extract, Milk Powder, Natural Coffee Flavor, Salt, Caramel)
Thanks Shrimp, these look good and sound yummy!

Sure is hard to find candy made with real sugar!

Philomath

Good Cereal

As far as gluten free cereal goes, this new cereal is very good. It's Cocoa-Snapz from three sisters and it's similar to Cocoa-Pebbles. It's only available at Whole Foods right now. Here's the breakdown:
Rice
Evaporated Milled Sugar
Coconut oil
Cocoa
Salet
Caramel Color
Natural Flavor
Reduced Iron
Zinc (oxide)

Lucily, it's my kids new favorite.

BingDing

Popcorn, Black Cherry juice

I found a bag of popcorn made with coconut oil called Mama's Special plain janes. The bag says, speaking of CO, "Doctors are calling it "the healthiest oil on earth"". Hah! Some truth in advertising at last, LOL.

I found it at Mom's Organic Market in the Washington DC area if anyone is nearby.

Also a microwave no salt, no oil popcorn. Add you own salt and butter or CO.

I thought both popcorns were pretty darn tasty.

RW Knudsen sells Black Cherry juice that says the only ingredient is "juice from ripe, whole black cherries". Also pretty tasty. RW Knudsen juices are distributed widely, I believe.

BingDing

Bread and Butter Pickle Relish

From Byler's Relish House

OK, not strictly Peat but if you can tolerate onions, peppers and spices, it's pretty tasty. I love relish on hamburgers, this is the only relish I've found without sodium benzoate and/or gum and/or other crap.

Some of their other cucumber products have no onions or peppers, and might be better for some people; I'm pretty sure Ray has said cucumbers are OK. I haven't looked at all their products but they might have some other Peaty stuff.

loess

Beeyond The Hive

Have to plug my favorite honey people here. I go through a LOT of honey especially in the cold months when there is not much good fruit available, and also it is much easier for me to bring and use honey on the go rather than cane sugar. I just finished a 60 lb bucket of raw wildflower honey from these folks in Colorado and have another on the way. With shipping it works out to around $3.70/lb which beats the typical retail price of raw honey in small jars by a longshot. The product is really high quality, comes from a high altitude, relatively pollution-free region and tastes amazing. Like, if one could taste the colors purple and gold, this honey is what it would taste like.

Philomath

CHEESE

Brunkow's Brun-uusto Baked cheese is by far my favorite and it's completely natural. They make garlic, jalapeño and an unflavored version. I believe it's a version of "leipajuusto" which means "bread cheese" in Finnish. It is a flat cheese browned in the oven.
Contains milk, rennet, calcium and salt (flavored versions use enzymes for some reason)
Brunkow is a Wisconsin dairy, here's their site: https://www.wisconsincheesemart.com/ite ... 6D-Z3G9LCQ
I can get it at Whole Foods.

loess

HDD

Sam's Choice Ice Cream - All Natural Vanilla

Ingredients: cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract

Allergy warning: contains milk and eggs, may contain traces of almonds, cashews, coconut, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, walnuts, peanuts, wheat and soy. :eek:

Less than half the cost of Haagen Daz. There are other favors but I haven't checked the ingredients yet.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
HDD said:
Sam's Choice Ice Cream - All Natural Vanilla

Ingredients: cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract

Allergy warning: contains milk and eggs, may contain traces of almonds, cashews, coconut, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, walnuts, peanuts, wheat and soy. :eek:

Less than half the cost of Haagen Daz. There are other favors but I haven't checked the ingredients yet.
Great find!
I think the allergy warning is because it's probably made on shared equipment.

FredSonoma

What kind of sugar do people use? I like the taste of "Sugar in the Raw" way better than white table sugar - any reason white table sugar would be healthier?

paper_clips43

I think Sugar in the Raw is "too" high in Iron and other potential toxins.. So much so that if you feed it to hummingbirds they will die. Don't quote me on that though. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I think maybe its best not to use it liberally. I occasionally use it when nothing else is available in coffee shops.

FredSonoma

paper_clips43 said:
I think Sugar in the Raw is "too" high in Iron and other potential toxins.. So much so that if you feed it to hummingbirds they will die. Don't quote me on that though. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I think maybe its best not to use it liberally. I occasionally use it when nothing else is available in coffee shops.

Wow okay I was actually worried that it would be too high in iron. Can't find nutrition facts though - only posted for 15 calories worth, so "not significant source of iron."

Edit: So, just looked it up. Sugar in the Raw is just table sugar without the molasses removed - and molasses is about 5% of the sugar in brown sugar. Sugar in the Raw does not taste nearly as strong as brown sugar - it sounds like its maybe 2% molasses, and 98% table sugar. 1 tbsp of molasses has .9 mg (5% DV) Iron, so a tbsp of Sugar in the Raw would have about .02 mg Iron / tbsp. Additionally, molasses has 41 mg calcium per tbsp, which inhibits iron absorption.

Sugar in the Raw should be safe eaten in large amounts then right?

Mittir

FredSonoma said:
paper_clips43 said:

Wow okay I was actually worried that it would be too high in iron. Can't find nutrition facts though - only posted for 15 calories worth, so "not significant source of iron."

The main concern in brown sugar is presence of allergens, high temperature processing
creates a lot of allergenic compounds. Pure white sugar is allergen free.
In past , I read about processing of sugar cane, IIRC increased iron in brown sugar
comes from processing method , not from sugar cane.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals