Let me introduce myself with a long **** post

Rolan

Hi all. My name is Rolan, and I came to Peats work via Danny Roddy whom I have been vaguely following for a couple of years, though I can't remember how or why - most likely I was linked to him through some awful Paleo forum like MDA or other. So, let me frame my introduction by stating that I'm a relatively healthy 27 y/o English male. I'm not coming from any sort of metabolic derangement, illness, hypothyroidism as far as I can tell. I've been pretty active most of my life, never been overweight, and have been intermittently training my body for about 10 years. My natural indolence meant that I have taken extended breaks from that from time to time, and never taken it to any sort of extreme which is probably going to save my **** further down the line.

So why am I here? Like many I'm looking for that illusion of perfect health and youth, but first I'll just expand a little on my dietary and health background. I grew up on the typical 'SAD', which because I'm English is probably slightly better than what a current SAD is. It wasn't too bad but obviously I shudder to think what my folks let me put in my body. When I got to 19/20, I started training and thought that I should change my dietary consumption. A ton of absolutely disgusting farm raised Salmon, Chicken, undercooked broccoli, grain fed beef, brown rice and ***t ton of olive oil - I honestly thought this was healthy. Then, during my half-hearted quest for the perfect diet I sadly fell in with the Paleo protocol, and combined that with the Zone system. I became paranoid about eating carbs(and about food in general), and lived off poor meat, leaves, veg and way too many nuts. It didn't really occur to me how tasteless and soulless the LC thing is. I upgraded the quality of my food and started putting coconut and butter in there, and a higher quality of meat, but literally freaked out when forced to eat a potato :lol: There are some benefits to this - although I looked gaunt all the time, I felt light as a feather and could go without eating until past 2-4pm(I considered this a benefit at that time). It got to a point, however, where I just didn't ever feel satisfied and always on the verge of hunger. One day I walked out of my house and went to the local deli, and started gorging myself on carbs - a whole loaf of white bread and a stick of Kerrygold butter, muffins, brownies, yams, red kuri squashes(amazing stuff)...all with packs and packs of butter. This lasted 6 months or so. I think this was actually a very clever move for me because it broke my paranoia about eating. The irony? I became far, far leaner than I had ever been. Finally I was getting sufficient calories. I spent the subsequent 3 years eating a lot of starches, butter, beef, lamb, chicken and almost totally dropping vegetables, which had become obselete in my dietary life. Pufa ridden food seemed to drop of the radar for me(chicken the exception), more as a natural realisation that olive oil and nuts are just crappy, tasteless things that no-one needs.

Over the last 3 months I have become frankly bored with eating. I have come to feel slight revulsion at having to eat eggs and meat everyday, and forcing myself to consume potato because I need to buffer my caloric intake - despite the sometimes apocalyptic farting that accompanies too much starch. The nutritional health industry is an absolute joke and diet gurus should be exiled from the Internet and never allowed to make money from their 'expertise' again. It's very stressful to feel the need to continuously read conflicting nutritional science.The Paleo crowd are just as bad as the conventional wisdom drones in my opinion. LCP is a sham, based on evolutionary speculation and pseudo-science. I'm a little sheepish that I ever believed eating meat, green vegetables and fat all day was what 'our bodies want and need'. I often think how absurd it is that in the 21st century we are all still so confused about what our bodies and minds need to be healthy

And now here I am. The reason? I suppose the worst that can be said about my health is that I have encountered some energetic problems throughout my life. I've always had this nagging feeling that my energy is not what I'd like it to be, and could definitely be described as fatigued, all at the tender age of 27. This is something I'm desperate to change because I want to become re-acquainted with the feeling of youth and vitality which has evaded me for such a long time. Whilst I'm lucky not to have had to battle with some of the issues I have been reading about here, the last 6 or 7 years have been highly stressful for me for various reasons - mostly a daily internal 'psychological' battle which has effected all areas of my life. This is why I'm so interested in Bioenergetics and I really feel Peat has some interesting perspective on this. I don't believe diet can solve everything, but I do truly believe that it can help on deal with daily, unavoidable stressors in a far more capable manner.

So anyway, onto diet. For the last 8 days I have been consuming daily;

4 Pints whole, Organic(whatever that means lol) pasteurised/non-homogenised milk
900ml 'Innocent' OJ
Cheese, pasteurised/non-pasteurised, some raw, and from animal rennet
Some white potato with butter, only twice I think, as opposed to every day
Some muscle meat, only 3 times this week, probably a little too much but I had to eat out twice
Lot's of coffee, which I've been doing for years now, but this time consumed with my milk
Couple of raw carrots
1 glass bottle of coke. It's from England I think, so not sure if it's alright, but whatever it won't be a regular thing
2 500ml tubs of Vanilla Haagen Daaz. Again it won't be a regular thing, but felt like this site gave me a nice justification for downing those bad boys and not feeling guilt-ridden after. Thanks guys :lol:

Think that's it. Obviously I'm missing the gelatin and liver, but I've been eating quite a bit of liver of the last 3 months anyway so no biggie. Can't really be bothered going to buy it :D As for fruit, well, anyone who lives in England can testify to the atrocious quality of fruit here. 90% is imported from other countries/continents - no thankyou!

Positive observations;

My gas is so much better. Barely farted at all for 10 days.
This is so easy. I realise now how boring it is to wait around for an hour to cook something to eat.
My energy levels were noticeably increased over the last 10 days, really even throughout the whole day. This is despite getting a few hrs less sleep(I'm staying with friends so...).
Physically and mentally I feel far more vital. Previously I'd be sluggish, but despite the habitual over-thinking(which is such a drain on energy), my mental clarity has increased. I was starting to become a little annoyed with brain fog recently. It was like 'Goddammit man where the hell is my mind going!'. Now I have this mental energy and it's awesome.
Ability to deal with stress is better. As I said my life has been stressful for a while, and I noticed very recently that I was becoming incapable of dealing with it. I was highly temperamental, impatient etc. I've always been like that, however, now I feel like I can deal with people a little better. I'm seemingly more carefree as opposed to ragingly angry at the world.
Eating more calories, and feel satiated all the time.
I love milk. I've always done well on it, but it's so refreshing to just pull this out of the fridge and take a slug. Coffee is also so much better with stuff in it, to the point where I would never consider drinking it first thing on an empty stomach again, and likely only have it black occasionally.
The relief from not feeling like I have to depend on eggs and friggin' meat all the time is a weight off my mind.
The thought of eating PUFA crap like Chicken is completely unappealing. Good riddance Chicken! Good riddance Pork! I can now let my Pig and Chicken friends live out their lives in peace. Same cannot be said about Lamb and Beef though, but I will cut way down on the poor chaps.

Not so positive observations

I've had TWO absolutely appalling bowel movements this week. They were actually painful to the point of excruciating. Now I know what it's like giving birth - OUT OF MY ANUS. I'm thinking a fibre issue, but I'm suspiciously eyeing up my cheese. He could be the culprit, the bastard.
Fruit - As I wrote above, our fruit is garbage. I refuse to eat imported fruits from other continents, while the the fruit from closer European nations are either poor or not really Peat friendly. i don't know how important this stuff is, but I'm not really a fan.
Same goes for sea-food. I'm skeptical about the quality of it, plus it's completely overpriced. Can I live without this and forget it exists, like tropical fruit?

Otherwise all good. I'm not going to make a shrine out of Peat or his dietary concepts. I understand fully that it isn't really a diet protocol, and yes I have read the word context alot on this site. I'm not particularly interested in Science and don't have the time to delve into it, but hopefully can find a intuitive approach to my food and health through the concepts outlined here. I do hope however that this is a legit way of eating and not another fad for us. Still can't get my head around people eating gummy bears and marshmellows, but oh well. I'll give those a miss. I think my presence on this forum is going to be more an observational/subjective analysis/asking questions one since I'm in no position to give advice, but am interested how this all pans out.

Thanks for reading.

HDD

LOL! You are too funny!

Welcome! Don't dis my Mexican coke and Haagen daz! A coke a day keeps the doctor away.

I admit I keep store bought gummy bears in my purse for emergencies. :D And aspirin and chocolate.

Glad you are feeling better!

The daily carrot is good for fiber.

Dan W

Welcome, and I enjoyed reading this.

Although I can't get my head around people not eating gummy bears and marshmallows :)

RayOfHope

Welcome, Rolan! I am new here, too, and I really enjoyed reading your intro. I, also, have battled fatigue issues for many years, not having the level of physical energy that I felt that I should have but I am already feeling a great increase in my energy levels and moods, so I am really encouraged by experiencing a noticeable benefit this soon. 

Best of luck on your journey and I hope that you will post updates regularly!

Attachments

• haidut.zip
    961.6 KB · Views: 31

Mittir

2 500ml tubs of Vanilla Haagen Daaz. Again it won't be a regular thing, but felt like this site gave me a nice justification for downing those bad boys and not feeling guilt-ridden after. Thanks guys :lol:

I do not see how this site provide justification for anything like that. We are here to discuss Ray Peat's ideas and
philosophy. RP presents his ideas citing scientific studies. One should make their own decision based on
their investigation and their own need . RP has 100s of articles and audio interviews explaining his views.

OP
R

Rolan

Mittir said:

I do not see how this site provide justification for anything like that. We are here to discuss Ray Peat's ideas and
philosophy. RP presents his ideas citing scientific studies. One should make their own decision based on
their investigation and their own need . RP has 100s of articles and audio interviews explaining his views.

.....I was joking :roll:

OP
R

Rolan

Dan Wich said:
Welcome, and I enjoyed reading this.

Although I can't get my head around people not eating gummy bears and marshmallows :)

Ha, but why? The gummy bears in my local Whole Foods are Gelatin free - the store is pretty vegan/vegetarian sided which is where they make most of their money(They only sell vegetarian gelatin for instance and a ton of fake vegan food) - so I decided against trying them. Apart from Gelatin I don't know what they're good for. As for Marshmallows, well I haven't done any research on them so not sure what their benefit is but will look into it. Coke i'm on, but am concerned about the caramel(E510).

Haagen Daaz tastes a little watery to me. I like it, but I'm going back to making my own Ice cream so I know where the Milk comes from.

Thanks for the welcome!

Dan W

Rolan said:
Ha, but why? The gummy bears in my local Whole Foods are Gelatin free - the store is pretty vegan/vegetarian sided which is where they make most of their money(They only sell vegetarian gelatin for instance and a ton of fake vegan food) - so I decided against trying them. Apart from Gelatin I don't know what they're good for. As for Marshmallows, well I haven't done any research on them so not sure what their benefit is but will look into it.

I think most of us make our own gummies (I use the approach in this thread) as a convenient way to get fruit juice and gelatin. I think there's also a marshmallow fluff recipe out there somewhere, with the benefit being a tasty sugar/gelatin source.

Welcome to the forum. Was expecting more **** though.

obama%20sarkozy%20girl.jpg

Let's get this party started.

OP
R

Rolan

So, I may actually create a log of my 'progress', maybe not, because I don't feel like I have anything specific to fix per se so it may be pointless.

However, few more random observations; I have also noticed changes in my body since dropping starch down and increasing sugar + milk and all the other stuff. Leaner(dropped BF% in other words), fuller muscles and generally better body composition despite eating atleast 500 more kcals and drinking whole milk like a fiend, eating cheese, drinking coke and my god the ice cream just never ends. But basically i have much more sugar now as opposed to starch+meat+fat and look so much better(IMO) for it. Skin clearer, better tone(even before I hit the sun rays), tighter, hair better, mouth feels fresher, dark circles under eyes pretty much gone. I'm pretty certain It all boils down to digestion, and too much starch, eggs and meat was really fuggin with my system. Energetically is where it get's really interesting. Despite not having a totally set and consistent sleeping pattern since starting this thing, and having some bad sinus issues the last three days(which have dissapated without the need to exclude any particular food ), my energy is so effin' good right now and I hope it get's better and better. Brain fog which was really becoming a problem for me has gone, clarity has come and I just feel sharper. Still too much mental chatter but that is not dietary related.

I've always been relaxed, well actually ever since i dropped bread, cereal at 21 y/o and most pufa's a few years ago when I was 24y/o, I have been generally more relaxed. But since three weeks ago when I added calcium and sugars etc, my relaxation has taken on another level. I am one chilled dude, but not in a lethargic stoner dude way, In a 'I feel NOOO tension in my body' way...

Of course, dietary changes inevitably produce a change in metabolism so I will see. I must add in liver to the mix, just haven't found a grass fed source as of yet, and seek some good local fruit, maybe some white rice although I'm not really craving starch. Also gelatin and just generally better quality stuff. I feel little desire to eat meat though, which is new for me :shock:

OP
R

Rolan

What's your age? 27

How did you find the forum? Through google!

How did you find Ray Peat's work? First heard of Peat through Roddy's site. I heard of Roddy's site through some thread on sugar at MDA. So I suppose I googled Ray Peat and found this site a few months ago, but It's only after reading through this site for days that I have gained an understanding of Ray Peat, which is impossible to do through the lens of someone else's stuff(like Danny Roddy) imo.

How long have you been Peating? 3-4 weeks

What is your favorite part about Peating? Easy, tasty, different and yet pretty logical.

What is the worst part? Nothing so far, and I predict nothing will be in the future, if one keeps a reasonable perspective of it. I can envisage many people gaining obsessions with particular foods though.

What are your health issues? Don't really have any, but I have felt for a long time that my energy was not what it should be, plus I was having digestive issues on my starch based diet, unsatisfied with eating so much meat and I hate green veggies in truth.

OP
R

Rolan

Okkkkk - So I've been doing this thang for approximately 6 weeks now. The first month was AMAZING. The last two weeks NOT SO GOOD :lol:

It's interesting, because the first month I was in London and had easy supply to the Milk I liked, the cheese I liked, the OJ I liked, the Potato's I liked, The coconut oil I liked, the ice cream I liked, the coke I liked...you get the idea. The last 2-3 weeks has been quite difficult in that regards because I moved to the country(until October), where everything is backwards and it's VERY hard to find the right Milk/Cheese. Damn hicks! Having to go miles to get what I need is quite stressful but hey, some people have to walk miles for a glass of water so let's not be complaining about something so trivial.

My problems the last week or two have been:

Breathing problems.
Less energy - I sleep well but still wake up a little fuzzy.
Dark circles under eyes are back.
Stress has increased.
Not feeling as amazing as I was/not 'quite' right.
The sun has disappeared! Where did he put his hat? Did he lose it? Good ole' England. 2 weeks of sunshine....adieu old chap :cry:

Good things-

Sweaty palms, adieu! Salt was the key here.
BM's are perfect and regular
Breathing problems have disappeared as I found the culprit(too much bicarb!)

The stress is not diet related, more life related. I have a feeling that corpo OJ is not gonna do it for me, and since I don't want to get oranges from S.Africa I may sub in Lemonade for this. Getting the Milk I like is paramount to my success. I also need more variety, but atleast I am getting liver now and have access to free-free range eggs and quality sources of animal protein. Dem Golden yokes! I MUST get gelatin, and I MUST find good sources of fruit. Still tweaking to be done.

I continue my search for a supreme state of health, fitness and youth :rockout

OP
R

Rolan

quick update;

Basically I feel really good IF IF IF other lifestyle components are in check - i.e sleep, fresh air, more light, less sitting and looking at computer screens, meditation, relaxing, less noise(like TV and radio) - BUT my skin isn't looking so great. Not bad, but as someone who always had super clear skin it's a bit of a bummer. Not that skin is the main indication of good health, but it suggests that something isn't quite right :/

That said, I hadn't eaten liver for two months, so.....I've got that back in, plus drinking bone broth now. Overall I still think I'm consuming too many liquids, but honestly, food just isn't the same. I don't have any inclination to make my food pretty anymore, and the diet itself seems so basic and fundamental I just don't desire things like herbs, spices or anything like that.

Drinking homemade apple juice from all the apples that have fallen off my tree. It's amazing, because just as I was lamenting the lack of quality fruit in my diet, I notice all these freakin' apples on a tree in my orchid. That plus plums and greengages...really excellent.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals