Introducing Myself

Kukdo

Hi everyone, I've been lurking the forum for a while but decided it was finally time to make an account.

I'm a 23 year old male and I first came across Ray Peat's work when I was 19 and stumbled upon Danny Roddy's work on to hair loss. I experienced some very rapid hair loss at this age, that has luckily stabilized since. At the time however I dismissed the ideas presented most likely because they were somewhat overwhelming to understand, and because I was in a situation (living in a dorm first year of college) where it felt difficult to implement the ideas mainly in regards to diet.

Over the last couple weeks. I've gotten back into Ray's work, starting with Amplified Metabolism on youtube (very underrated channel, presents Rays ideas in very digestible fashion), Danny Roddy's generative energy podcasts with Haidut, the Peat Whisperer, Rays newsletter, and Rays KMUD interviews and it is all finally starting to click. Its just such a cohesive and complete school of thought unlike anything I've come across.

Over the last few weeks or so I've really fully implemented a lot of the ideas with main ones being:

1) Sugar over starch (until recently I was eating a ton of potatoes)
2) Avoiding PUFA, relatively low fat in general
3)Proper amino acid balance, balancing protein/sugar at each meal
4) Increasing sodium, moderating fluid intake
5) Eating beef liver, oysters, carrot salad
6) red light therapy, infrared sauna.
7) supplementing niacinamide, d3/k2.

Heres a sample day of eating:

Breakfast: Fat free greek yogurt, gelatin, cherries, honey
Snack: Cantaloupe, coffee
Lunch: Beef shank, kiwis
Snack: Dates
Dinner: Carrot salad, parmasean cheese, ice cream, chocolate syrup

I track food with an app and aim for 330g carb, 170g protein, 45g fat. I'm 6'5 and 224 lbs.

I've noticed some definite changes:

1) Body temp up from low 97s to high 97s, hands and feet cold about 80% less often
2) Better mood and energy
3) Improved fat loss
4) improved digestion

This way of eating is super enjoyable and effortless, I'm really excited to see what kind of results I have in the coming months, especially in terms of improving the 4 things listed above.

My biggest priority right now is getting lean. I've been somewhat chubby my whole life and around age 21 actually briefly reached a point of obesity (BMI was like 32). This was a real wake up call and made me start taking my health seriously. I've lost 55 lbs since then, and probably need to lose another 30-40 to get lean. I recognize the risks of fat loss in terms of releasing PUFA, and elevating free FFA but I think its a worthwhile tradeoff due to the estrogenic nature of fat. My fat is also concentrated on the chest, sides of waist, and viscerally which I have heard is connected to estrogen, insulin, and cortisol respectively (can anyone confirm?)

Hope you guys didn't mind the long winded post, I just had a ton to say. I'll try to get involved in discussions on the forum in the future!

Cheers

CDT

Hi everyone, I've been lurking the forum for a while but decided it was finally time to make an account.

I'm a 23 year old male and I first came across Ray Peat's work when I was 19 and stumbled upon Danny Roddy's work on to hair loss. I experienced some very rapid hair loss at this age, that has luckily stabilized since. At the time however I dismissed the ideas presented most likely because they were somewhat overwhelming to understand, and because I was in a situation (living in a dorm first year of college) where it felt difficult to implement the ideas mainly in regards to diet.

Over the last couple weeks. I've gotten back into Ray's work, starting with Amplified Metabolism on youtube (very underrated channel, presents Rays ideas in very digestible fashion), Danny Roddy's generative energy podcasts with Haidut, the Peat Whisperer, Rays newsletter, and Rays KMUD interviews and it is all finally starting to click. Its just such a cohesive and complete school of thought unlike anything I've come across.

Over the last few weeks or so I've really fully implemented a lot of the ideas with main ones being:

1) Sugar over starch (until recently I was eating a ton of potatoes)
2) Avoiding PUFA, relatively low fat in general
3)Proper amino acid balance, balancing protein/sugar at each meal
4) Increasing sodium, moderating fluid intake
5) Eating beef liver, oysters, carrot salad
6) red light therapy, infrared sauna.
7) supplementing niacinamide, d3/k2.

Heres a sample day of eating:

Breakfast: Fat free greek yogurt, gelatin, cherries, honey
Snack: Cantaloupe, coffee
Lunch: Beef shank, kiwis
Snack: Dates
Dinner: Carrot salad, parmasean cheese, ice cream, chocolate syrup

I track food with an app and aim for 330g carb, 170g protein, 45g fat. I'm 6'5 and 224 lbs.

I've noticed some definite changes:

1) Body temp up from low 97s to high 97s, hands and feet cold about 80% less often
2) Better mood and energy
3) Improved fat loss
4) improved digestion

This way of eating is super enjoyable and effortless, I'm really excited to see what kind of results I have in the coming months, especially in terms of improving the 4 things listed above.

My biggest priority right now is getting lean. I've been somewhat chubby my whole life and around age 21 actually briefly reached a point of obesity (BMI was like 32). This was a real wake up call and made me start taking my health seriously. I've lost 55 lbs since then, and probably need to lose another 30-40 to get lean. I recognize the risks of fat loss in terms of releasing PUFA, and elevating free FFA but I think its a worthwhile tradeoff due to the estrogenic nature of fat. My fat is also concentrated on the chest, sides of waist, and viscerally which I have heard is connected to estrogen, insulin, and cortisol respectively (can anyone confirm?)

Hope you guys didn't mind the long winded post, I just had a ton to say. I'll try to get involved in discussions on the forum in the future!

Cheers
Just curious, but when you were younger (around 19-20) and started to experience hair loss, were you also engaging in PMO? The habit of PMO has been a research subject of interest lately due to its influence on prolactin, and I was wondering if youd be alright with sharing this piecce of information as it would really help in some anecdotal claims I'm putting together! Thanks in advance.

Runenight201

Welcome and good luck mate. It’s a hell of a life we’re all in, but the sugar keeps it enjoyable :)

In case you ever get the temptation to, try and not sacrifice your energy, moods, temps for weight loss. It’s definitely the one touchy subject in peatland in terms of eating his way and struggling with weight, but if you do it right, you should slowly lose weight while feeling good the whole time.

Cheers

Cirion

red light therapy, infrared sauna.

Could you expand more on this, especially the infrared sauna? That sounds interesting, how does that work?

Just curious, but when you were younger (around 19-20) and started to experience hair loss, were you also engaging in PMO? The habit of PMO has been a research subject of interest lately due to its influence on prolactin, and I was wondering if youd be alright with sharing this piecce of information as it would really help in some anecdotal claims I'm putting together! Thanks in advance.

Not the OP, and not balding, BUT I did use to PMO a LOT. It is not until recently I have made strides to quit, and I can definitely attest to the fact that PMO causes major prolactin problems (can't prove it from blood tests, but feel WAY better when I abstain from PMO). This effect probably won't be as pronounced to someone who does not have hormonal imbalances (which would explain why some feel no benefit from it, i.e. healthy people).

In the case of balding, PMO is probably more of a symptom rather than the cause. I think people who have higher stress tend to be more susceptible to PMO (for the brief "hit" of dopamine, to self-medicate from the stress). I know this to be true for me. In my unhealthiest time of my life, and highest stress, was when I used to PMO at least 3 times a day sometimes more. So essentially I think stress is the cause or at least the major aggravating factor.

In case you ever get the temptation to, try and not sacrifice your energy, moods, temps for weight loss. It’s definitely the one touchy subject in peatland in terms of eating his way and struggling with weight, but if you do it right, you should slowly lose weight while feeling good the whole time.

Definitely follow this. Weight loss is great, as long as you don't force it and you're feeling good / improvements along the way.

OP
K

Kukdo

I actually started to experience hair loss in my mid teens but at 19 I had a brief period of rapid loss after which things slowed down. This was right at the time I moved into college and I think the PUFA overload from cafateria food, poor sleep habits, and excessive drinking may have been involved. I was actually involved in PMO far less at this point than over the years prior.

Could you expand more on this, especially the infrared sauna? That sounds interesting, how does that work?

I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/SereneLife-P...qid=1541905069&sr=1-4&keywords=infrared+sauna

for about 40 minutes, 4-5x a week. From what I've read infrared has similar cellular benefits to red light, the sweating helps get rid of heavy metals (which I understand are involved in catalyzing harmful reactions w PUFA), and it it just relaxing and feels nice to raise the body temperature. I've measured my temperature after and its usually about 99.5.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals