Supplement List

G

gummybear

tara said:
gummybear said:
Joeyd said:
What about b6, tyrosine, taurine, are these peat approved?

Damn straight they are
With the proviso that he's a bit cautious about possible issues with isolated amino acids and with contamination in supplements in general. So he sometimes recommends them in limited amounts for limited periods of time for particular purposes, but not generally as indefinite supplements for everyone.

Sure, understandble. I've used taurine with glycine in about 4 months now with very good succees. Gelatin just made me tired and bad mood. I think glycine is one of the best "peat" supplements out there.

tara

gummybear said:
tara said:
gummybear said:
Joeyd said:

Damn straight they are
With the proviso that he's a bit cautious about possible issues with isolated amino acids and with contamination in supplements in general. So he sometimes recommends them in limited amounts for limited periods of time for particular purposes, but not generally as indefinite supplements for everyone.

Sure, understandble. I've used taurine with glycine in about 4 months now with very good succees. Gelatin just made me tired and bad mood. I think glycine is one of the best "peat" supplements out there.

I don't mean they can't be useful - sounds like they are doing you good, which is great. :)
Just responding to the bit about whether Peat approves their use.

G

gummybear

tara said:
gummybear said:
tara said:
gummybear said:
Joeyd said:

Damn straight they are

I don't mean they can't be useful - sounds like they are doing you good, which is great. :)
Just responding to the bit about whether Peat approves their use.

It seems counterproductive and dogmatic to seek Mr Peat's approval on everything though. We need to trust our bodies and minds more I think.

tara

gummybear said:
It seems counterproductive and dogmatic to seek Mr Peat's approval on everything though. We need to trust our bodies and minds more I think.

I entirely agree that we should trust our own minds and bodies foremost - including incorporating information from other people thoughtfully, not dogmatically. I don't recommend that anyone blindly follow anyone, or make all decisions about our health and life on the basis of Peat's or anyone else's approval.

However, I don't want people to get confused about what are Peat's ideas and recommendations, and what are our own ideas, interpretations, and practices.

So that's why I put the original comment in. Not because I (or Peat, as far as I know) disapprove of what you are doing. I think it is valuable that you are sharing the effects of your own experiments, thanks.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Taurine gives me muscle twitches/spasms after taking only one dose.

G

gummybear

tara said:
gummybear said:

I entirely agree that we should trust our own minds and bodies foremost - including incorporating information from other people thoughtfully, not dogmatically. I don't recommend that anyone blindly follow anyone, or make all decisions about our health and life on the basis of Peat's or anyone else's approval.

However, I don't want people to get confused about what are Peat's ideas and recommendations, and what are our own ideas, interpretations, and practices.

So that's why I put the original comment in. Not because I (or Peat, as far as I know) disapprove of what you are doing. I think it is valuable that you are sharing the effects of your own experiments, thanks.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml

Some of these amino acids, such as glycine, have a very broad range of cell-protective actions.

35% of the amino acids in gelatin are glycine,

Glycine itself is one of the factors promoting wound healing and tumor inhibition.

It has a wide range of antitumor actions, including the inhibition of new blood vessel formation (angiogenesis), and it has shown protective activity in liver cancer and melanoma. Since glycine is non-toxic (if the kidneys are working, since any amino acid will contribute to the production of ammonia), this kind of chemotherapy can be pleasant.

A generous supply of glycine/gelatin, against a balanced background of amino acids, has a great variety of antistress actions

Glycine is recognized as an “inhibitory” neurotransmitter, and promotes natural sleep. Used as a supplement, it has helped to promote recovery from strokes and seizures, and to improve learning and memory. But in every type of cell, it apparently has the same kind of quieting, protective antistress action. The range of injuries produced by an excess of tryptophan and serotonin seems to be prevented or corrected by a generous supply of glycine. Fibrosis, free radical damage, inflammation, cell death from ATP depletion or calcium overload, mitochondrial damage, diabetes, etc., can be prevented or alleviated by glycine.

In the context of the excitatory actions of estrogen, and the inhibitory action of glycine, it would be reasonable to think of glycine as one of the antiestrogenic substances.

Another type of amino acid, taurine, is structurally similar to glycine (and to beta amino propanoic acid, and to GABA), and it can be thought of as antiestrogenic in this context.

Glycine's inhibitory effects appear to oppose estrogen's actions generally, in sensory and motor nerves, in regulating angiogenesis, and in modulating the cytokines and "chemokines" that are involved in so many inflammatory and degenerative diseases, especially tumor necrosis factor (TNF), nitric oxide (NO), and prostaglandins. Exposure to estrogen early in life can affect the health in adulthood, and so can an early deficiency of glycine. The degenerative diseases can begin in the earliest years of life, but because aging, like growth, is a developmental process, it's never too late to start the corrective process.

Since persistent lipolysis and insulin resistance, along with a generalized inflammatory state, are involved in a great variety of diseases, especially in the degenerative diseases, it's reasonable to consider using glycine/gelatin for almost any chronic problem.

A small dose of glycine taken shortly after suffering a stroke was found to accelerate recovery, preventing the spreading of injury through its inhibitory and antiinflammatory actions. Its nerve-stabilizing action, increasing the amount of stimulation required to activate nerves, is protective in epilepsy, too. This effect is important in the regulation of sleep, breathing, and heart rhythm.

I think Peat has a boner for glycine. That's pretty obvious.

G

gummybear

Charlie said:

Did our lovely charlie tried it with glycine together?

tara

gummybear said:

A small dose of glycine taken shortly after suffering a stroke was found to accelerate recovery, preventing the spreading of injury through its inhibitory and antiinflammatory actions. Its nerve-stabilizing action, increasing the amount of stimulation required to activate nerves, is protective in epilepsy, too. This effect is important in the regulation of sleep, breathing, and heart rhythm.

I agree he is very favourable to glycine.
I have isolated glycine at home, have used it occasionally, and not noticed obvious effects. But after rereading all these great quotes, I am inspired to have a renewed experiment of adding glycine to the tactics I throw at threatening migraines. Thanks for the reminder.

IIRC, Peat most often recommends gelatinous cuts of meat, gelatine and/or hydrolysate for most people most of the time as a good source of glycine.
Just because he quotes a study showing a substance is helpful, doesn't mean he generally recommends everyone take it as a supplement indefinitely. Mostly he seems to favour getting as much as possible from food, and then sometimes supplementing some specifics for particular purposes, usually for a limited time.

The exceptions I'm aware of, that he seems to recommend to many people for extended periods, although still usually for particular purposes and not for everyone, are niacinamide, fat-soluble vitamins, T3 and T4, progesterone, aspirin.

G

gummybear

tara said:
gummybear said:

I agree he is very favourable to glycine.
I have isolated glycine at home, have used it occasionally, and not noticed obvious effects. But after rereading all these great quotes, I am inspired to have a renewed experiment of adding glycine to the tactics I throw at threatening migraines. Thanks for the reminder.

IIRC, Peat most often recommends gelatinous cuts of meat, gelatine and/or hydrolysate for most people most of the time as a good source of glycine.
Just because he quotes a study showing a substance is helpful, doesn't mean he generally recommends everyone take it as a supplement indefinitely. Mostly he seems to favour getting as much as possible from food, and then sometimes supplementing some specifics for particular purposes, usually for a limited time.

The exceptions I'm aware of, that he seems to recommend to many people for extended periods, although still usually for particular purposes and not for everyone, are niacinamide, fat-soluble vitamins, T3 and T4, progesterone, aspirin.

Who defines food?

tara

gummybear said:
Who defines food?
In the context of this discussion about Peat's recommendations, it's Peat's definition that's relevant. His definition of food is not the same as the mainstream one, but I have not seen anything to suggest he considers isolated amino acids or isolated vitamins to be food, although he recognises them as sometimes useful supplements.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
gummybear said:
Charlie said:

Did our lovely charlie tried it with glycine together?

;)

Yes, and without. Took me a while to figure it out but I got it nailed down now. Literally one dose and muscle twitches come back.

Having no problems with glycine that I am aware of. Been taking it for a while now.

G

gummybear

tara said:
gummybear said:
Who defines food?
In the context of this discussion about Peat's recommendations, it's Peat's definition that's relevant. His definition of food is not the same as the mainstream one, but I have not seen anything to suggest he considers isolated amino acids or isolated vitamins to be food, although he recognises them as sometimes useful supplements.

Sounds extremely dogmatic and idol worshiping rather than looking at what he actually says. He recommended me glycine over gelatin, and his quotes are pretty damn obvious what he thinks but you go ahead and eat your gelatin.

tara

gummybear said:
Sounds extremely dogmatic and idol worshiping rather than looking at what he actually says.
He recommended me glycine over gelatin, and his quotes are pretty damn obvious what he thinks but you go ahead and eat your gelatin.

Great, you have a specific recommendation to try glycine for your specific situation, which IIRC includes an intolerance to whole gelatine. I don't see how this conflicts with anything I've said so far on this thread.

If you have received private communications on the subject,maybe consider posting it in the Email Depository thread? I just searched there for glycine and didn't find any recommendations for it, so yours would be a valuable addition, if you feel like sharing it, esp. if it includes the context of the question you were asking.

Not really reasonable to attack me for not looking at what Peat has written to you in private communication that I don't have access to.

Maybe Peat does think glycine should be widely supplemented in preference to gelatine. I've not seen him write it, though. Either way, just because we have a disagreement on interpretation is no good reason for attacks and name-calling. I am in favour of not misrepresenting people. In my books, this does not equal idolatry. Pedantry it almost certainly is :), but not dogmatism.

G

gummybear

tara said:
gummybear said:
Sounds extremely dogmatic and idol worshiping rather than looking at what he actually says.
He recommended me glycine over gelatin, and his quotes are pretty damn obvious what he thinks but you go ahead and eat your gelatin.

Great, you have a specific recommendation to try glycine for your specific situation, which IIRC includes an intolerance to whole gelatine. I don't see how this conflicts with anything I've said so far on this thread.

If you have received private communications on the subject,maybe consider posting it in the Email Depository thread? I just searched there for glycine and didn't find any recommendations for it, so yours would be a valuable addition, if you feel like sharing it, esp. if it includes the context of the question you were asking.

Not really reasonable to attack me for not looking at what Peat has written to you in private communication that I don't have access to.

Maybe Peat does think glycine should be widely supplemented in preference to gelatine. I've not seen him write it, though. Either way, just because we have a disagreement on interpretation is no good reason for attacks and name-calling. I am in favour of not misrepresenting people. In my books, this does not equal idolatry. Pedantry it almost certainly is :), but not dogmatism.

I just think it's mental masturbation to take everything so literally. It's a slave mentality to not trust ourselves. Which is what society wants us to be. Look for "experts" everywhere and needing this approval to do things.

tara

gummybear said:
I just think it's mental masturbation to take everything so literally.
a. Cut the insults.
b. How do you know Peat doesn't mean what he says literally? He seems to me to usually strive for accuracy in writing and speech.

gummybear said:
It's a slave mentality to not trust ourselves. Which is what society wants us to be. Look for "experts" everywhere and needing this approval to do things.

a. So why do you insist that Peat approves of everyone supplementing glycine, instead of just presenting this opinion as your own?

b. What purpose is served by attempting to shut down a discussion with insults on the basis that someone is striving for accuracy, particularly about Peat's expressed views on the Ray Peat Forum, in response to a specific question about Ray Peat's views?

c. Who's seeking anyone's approval here?

d. Perhaps you missed this:
tara said:

Xisca

Thyroid Supplement

Recommended by Dr. Peat:

Cynomel-T3 Only

Cynoplus-T3 + T4

I think that "farmacia del niño" do not sell it anymore, or didn't I see it?

Kasper

Hi guys, I'm living in the Netherlands, and I want to try out supplementing tyroid. I'm a little bit new with this and I don't know which one is best to use and where to buy it. Can anybody help me out, or link me to some topic where this is discussed ?

J

jb116

Xisca said:
Thyroid Supplement

Recommended by Dr. Peat:

Cynomel-T3 Only

Cynoplus-T3 + T4

I think that "farmacia del niño" do not sell it anymore, or didn't I see it?

yep they just confirmed that. He also said "everybody's out." :roll:
So not sure, where does one find this? Are there other brand alternatives, recommended by peatarians?

Queequeg

Great post and very helpful!
I just wanted to suggest an alternative charcoal supplement for internal use. I used to use charcoal powder until I read about persorption on toxinless.com Activated charcoal with the fewest additives - Toxinless

RP on Persorption
"Particles absorbed from the intestine can pass from the blood into the lymph, cerebral spinal fluid, and urine. Having fat and fiber in the food reduces persorption."

I had some scary thoughts of all my blood vessels filling up with a black goop or my pee turning black. :wtf:

here is the one Ive been using and is one of the granular charcoal toxinless.com recommends
GRANULAR Activated Charcoal (Coconut) 4x8 mesh AW

If anyone already has the powder you can use it as a teeth whitener so no need to throw it away.