What Evidence Shows Estrogen To Be A Cause Of Hair Loss?

OP
S
My email from Ray Peat:
"Veterinarians have noticed that dogs often lose their fur when they are around a woman who is using a topical estrogen cream."

Thanks Rosie, but the more important question is if the woman loses hers. Here's another e-mail :

Since the 1940s, the vast majority of medical journal articles on estrogen’s effects in humans have been wrong; my preferred term would be fraudulent, though the authors probably believed what they were saying—the fraud was achieved by higher level management of funding and public relations and government bribery. As recently as the 1970s people were sending me samples of hair growth formulas containing estrogen. It gradually became known that topical estrogen was just as carcinogenic as oral.

Even good researchers such as C.M. Papa and A.M. Kligman presented their observations sort of apologetically, in the culture of overwhelming positive opinion of estrogen.

"Our previous study of senile skin showed the capacity of topical, but not systemic, testosterone propionate to stimulate hair growth in the axilla and on the forearm. As an extension of this finding, androgen creams were applied to the scalps of 21 bald men. Approximately 75% of the group showed some stimulation of hair growth, as indicated by longer, thicker, more pigmented hairs in the bald area. Within five months of treatment approximately 10% to 15% of the follicles were stimulated to produce terminal type hairs. The probability of regrowth is dependent neither on the duration of the baldness nor on the age of the subject."

"Thus, in regard to gross
structure and function, testosterone, progesterone, and pregnenolone, in that order, have a general rejuvenating effect on senescent skin. On the other hand, estrogen mildly accentuated some of the aging characteristics, while the corticosteroids profoundly increased the degradative alterations."

The study from Schumacher is attached. One of the creams he mentioned had salicylic acid, both creams had a corticoid (not 100% certain of the ingredients, but those seemed to be the active ones unless they changed the formulations). None of the evidence discussed so far is particularly convincing, Schumacher's references seem to contradict the claim but the studies are small.

Attachments

• schumacherstock1981.pdf
    536.8 KB · Views: 11

dreamcatcher

Thanks Rosie, but the more important question is if the woman loses hers. Here's another e-mail :

Since the 1940s, the vast majority of medical journal articles on estrogen’s effects in humans have been wrong; my preferred term would be fraudulent, though the authors probably believed what they were saying—the fraud was achieved by higher level management of funding and public relations and government bribery. As recently as the 1970s people were sending me samples of hair growth formulas containing estrogen. It gradually became known that topical estrogen was just as carcinogenic as oral.

Even good researchers such as C.M. Papa and A.M. Kligman presented their observations sort of apologetically, in the culture of overwhelming positive opinion of estrogen.

"Our previous study of senile skin showed the capacity of topical, but not systemic, testosterone propionate to stimulate hair growth in the axilla and on the forearm. As an extension of this finding, androgen creams were applied to the scalps of 21 bald men. Approximately 75% of the group showed some stimulation of hair growth, as indicated by longer, thicker, more pigmented hairs in the bald area. Within five months of treatment approximately 10% to 15% of the follicles were stimulated to produce terminal type hairs. The probability of regrowth is dependent neither on the duration of the baldness nor on the age of the subject."

"Thus, in regard to gross
structure and function, testosterone, progesterone, and pregnenolone, in that order, have a general rejuvenating effect on senescent skin. On the other hand, estrogen mildly accentuated some of the aging characteristics, while the corticosteroids profoundly increased the degradative alterations."

The study from Schumacher is attached. One of the creams he mentioned had salicylic acid, both creams had a corticoid (not 100% certain of the ingredients, but those seemed to be the active ones unless they changed the formulations). None of the evidence discussed so far is particularly convincing, Schumacher's references seem to contradict the claim but the studies are small.
Nice read, thank you. We have to differentiate between men and women. Men tend to be lower in testosterone as they age. My hair started to shed in April this year. I lost a lot of hair since which was very stressful. After a few days on high dose progesterone; agnus castus, ashwagandha, biotin and small amounts of taurine, the shedding reduced by 90%. I'm so happy.

OP
S
Nice read, thank you. We have to differentiate between men and women. Men tend to be lower in testosterone as they age. My hair started to shed in April this year. I lost a lot of hair since which was very stressful. After a few days on high dose progesterone; agnus castus, ashwagandha, biotin and small amounts of taurine, the shedding reduced by 90%. I'm so happy.

Agreed, and great to hear.

Elephanto

OK thats great, thanks for responding. In order not to lose my hair post cyclo (A study said hair loss occurs again after 4 weeks) I'm going all out on your protocol. The Hong Kong study head massage too.

Good luck ! I've made a shorter list with all the important ones if it can be helpful :

Magnesium Citrate (1-2g), Zinc Picolinate (50-100mg), P-5-P (50mg), Selenized Yeast (80mcg), Vitamin K2 (1mg), Vitamin A (5000iu), Vitamin E (250-400iu), Boron (6-15mg), Taurine (1-2g) and/or MSM (2-5g), Niacinamide (500-1500mg), Chromium for a while (250mcg). About the RDA doses for B1 & B2. Temporary protocols of 3-4 tbsps Coconut Oil, 3-4 tsps Baking Soda away from meals, and in some cases, a few weeks of high dose Molybdenum (3 x 450mcg). A should be taken with E, and P-5-P during the day.

Also you mentioned scalp massaging but I also found ACV on scalp very effective in combination.

Last edited:

Hairfedup

Good luck ! I've made a shorter list with all the important ones if it can be helpful :

Magnesium Citrate (1-2g), Zinc Picolinate (50-100mg), P-5-P (50mg), Selenized Yeast (80mcg), Vitamin K2 (1mg), Vitamin A (5000iu), Vitamin E (250-400iu), Boron (6-15mg), Taurine (1-2g) and/or MSM (2-5g), Niacinamide (500-1500mg), Chromium for a while (250mcg). About the RDA doses for B1 & B2. Temporary protocols of 3-4 tbsps Coconut Oil, 3-4 tsps Baking Soda away from meals, and in some cases, a few weeks of high dose Molybdenum (3 x 450mcg). A should be taken with E, and P-5-P during the day.

Also you mentioned scalp massaging but I also found ACV on scalp very effective in combination.

Hey man thanks so much. I think sometimes people don't understand just how valuable it is to have someone respond in detail in order to help you out, know what I mean? Its really appreciated my guy.

Hi, what I would very much like to know is: What happens to a hair follicle when activated at the same time Estrogen Receptor alpha with E1 estrone and beta with E2 estradiol??
Hope to hear from you soon, have a nice day!

GorillaHead

That protocol gave you results?

mujuro

Forum Supporter
In my experience, it is potently dopaminergic

Hmm. I haven’t supplemented zinc in a long time (12 months+), but the other day I took a combined 50mg+ of zinc L-carnosine I was off my head. I felt really, REALLY good. I didn’t know why at the time but this could have been it.

Arrade

When I supplement zinc I get the nausea and metallic taste supposedly of getting too much
I eat meat frequently.

Taurine seems to really help my scalp itch. I take 3 grams but wonder at the potential of 6

GorillaHead

You also said Nw 2.5 to Nw 1-.5
Oh man if thats the case id be ecstatic to go back to nw1 i am sitting at 1.5 right now myself.

So more and more evidence is mounting that estrogen is bad and the only reason men who are transitioning get hair is because their hormonal profiles are changing. Would be interesting to know if they lose hair first before they grow new hair

dreamcatcher

When I supplement zinc I get the nausea and metallic taste supposedly of getting too much
I eat meat frequently.

Taurine seems to really help my scalp itch. I take 3 grams but wonder at the potential of 6
At 6g you will start to lose weight.

Sobieski

Real world evidence shows that estrogen regrows hair. Look at mtf transsexuals; most who experience mpb pre transition regrow pretty much all their hair once on HRT, and it looks healthy. There are guys on hairloss forums who have used topical estrogen who have regrown hair (despite the obvious side effects ie gyno etc.) Some have taken it a step further and taken significant doses of oral estrogen. Lots of feminising effects, but lots of success with hair growth.

rawmeat

Real world evidence shows that estrogen regrows hair. Look at mtf transsexuals; most who experience mpb pre transition regrow pretty much all their hair once on HRT, and it looks healthy. There are guys on hairloss forums who have used topical estrogen who have regrown hair (despite the obvious side effects ie gyno etc.) Some have taken it a step further and taken significant doses of oral estrogen. Lots of feminising effects, but lots of success with hair growth.

It's the issue of estrogen in men causing inflammation. DHT then tends to the inflammation and creates fibrosis --> reducing blood supply --> less oxygen for hair follicle --> baldness.

Arrade

Exactly as rawmeat says.
People see castration from estrogen as more estrogen being the answer. It’s the castration and removal of DHT that makes most estrogenic methods effective

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals