Strongest supplements to fall asleep fast?

Peater503

Need something very potent that will knock me out so I can fall asleep at a reasonable time, preferably a natural substance(s), but if you know of any strong synthetics, please mention those too.

I tried CBD melatonin once, and that stuff was pretty decent. But I thought I should try asking on here as many of you probably have better/more effective suggestions.

Also tried high-dosage cyproheptadine (main reason was to boost appetite/gain weight), but it did not make me sleepy whatsoever for some reason.

Please no suggestions for lifestyle changes or generally light stuff like spices/teas/extracts/etc. I tried it all; just need something reliable to get the job done :)

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Not a super strong "quick-fix", but 300mg magnesium glycinate with dinner, followed by 500-1000mg GABA half an hour before bed, making sure you also 2-4 tablespoons of honey or similar amount of other carb close to bed time. Pregnenolone during the day also helps. You can also tru 200mg theanine with 500mg GABA, instead of only GABA. These all work well if other lifestyle factors are in place.

Need something very potent that will knock me out so I can fall asleep at a reasonable time, preferably a natural substance(s), but if you know of any strong synthetics, please mention those too.

I tried CBD melatonin once, and that stuff was pretty decent. But I thought I should try asking on here as many of you probably have better/more effective suggestions.

Also tried high-dosage cyproheptadine (main reason was to boost appetite/gain weight), but it did not make me sleepy whatsoever for some reason.

Please no suggestions for lifestyle changes or generally light stuff like spices/teas/extracts/etc. I tried it all; just need something reliable to get the job done :)
No meat 6 hours before bedtime and a spoonful of raw honey at bedtime, or sugar salt water…

Overton

Agree w rinse on honey + salt. Also red light & quiet & boring book 1-2 hrs before

JanW55

Forum Supporter
Having experienced lifelong insomnia, I am always on the hunt for something that really works. Been through many many remedies so while some work a bit, most do not, for me. Happily, I recently discovered Clif High had come up with / helped develop a supplement powder "Pure Sleep" that was very effective for me from the outset. (Gen 2 version I believe it is called.) It is a proprietary mix of various items including among other things: GABA, magnesium bis-glycinate, magnesium citrate, pomegranate, monk fruit, nutmeg and beet. Strangely I happened upon it while looking at the PureBulk site for something else. Since then I've added (to the original container) some more GABA powder I had around, plus a bit of eggshell calcium from Tom Brimeyer and chug it all down, per C. High's instructions on the container, along with a magnesium taurate. Take it ahead of time (takes my digestive system about an hour to get effective, and I do wait until about 2 hours after last supper/dinner meal in an evening).

Agree w rinse on honey + salt. Also red light & quiet & boring book 1-2 hrs before
Oh yeah no television or cell phone before bed is really helpful for me too, and surprisingly Ray Peat’s suggestion of leaving a nightlight on works wonders to keep me asleep.

Jennifer

For supplements, Progest-E or thyroid (T4/T3). For food, a chunk of cheese with honey or a mug of warm cider, a glass of warm milk, a hot cocoa with marshmallows/collagen or a bowl of ice cream.

Kocky777

Forum Supporter

I need that too, watching the thread!

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
It can knock you out all night and the next day too. I take about a 4th of a tablet. So maybe start low and work up to a dose that works for you.
Thanks alot. :)
Sadly, for me personally Doxylamin Succinate and also Diphenhydramin (=Benadryl) do not work for me to fall asleep, even a whole tablet. But I'm a "hopeless" case of an insomniac in the times I suffer from insomnia. :(
But I have heard that many people are having success falling asleep with Doxylamin Succinate or Benadryl.

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
I want to try L-Histidine next for sleep. Since the anti-histamines Benadryl and Doxylamin Succinate do not work for me personally to initiate sleep and since I read an interesting thread by user redsun about different histamine types of people, I've come to the conclusion that I have too low histidine levels (that would also explain my bad digestion and acid reflux issues), so the histamine-decreasing sleep agents Benadryl and Doxylamin Succinate do not work for me personally (at least that is one possible explanation, but of course, I could be wrong here).
I also found a few testimonials on Reddit and Amazon that for some people Histidine (AS a pre-cursor for Histamine) really worked for sleep in people that seemingly had Histamine deficiency. Will keep you updated.

Other than that I have used Melatonin and Valerian Drops with variying grades of success.

Last edited:

S.Holmes

Thanks alot. :)
Sadly, for me personally Doxylamin Succinate and also Diphenhydramin (=Benadryl) do not work for me to fall asleep, even a whole tablet. But I'm a "hopeless" case of an insomniac in the times I suffer from insomnia. :(
But I have heard that many people are having success falling asleep with Doxylamin Succinate or Benadryl.
That certainly is an issue for some. Not for me thankfully. I really don't like melatonin, but have had some success with it (after the nightmare phase ended). Also CBD (gummies) worked when I had covid. I don't like taking those either, but you can't NOT sleep!

Gawdawg

300mg Glycine an hour before bed.

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
That certainly is an issue for some. Not for me thankfully. I really don't like melatonin, but have had some success with it (after the nightmare phase ended). Also CBD (gummies) worked when I had covid. I don't like taking those either, but you can't NOT sleep!
I'm glad that DS, Melatonin and CBD Work Well for you.
Yeah, I agree. Life is so hard, If you can not sleep (thankfully I don't have insomnia all the time, but when I do, it is certainly no pleasure).

S.Holmes

I'm glad that DS, Melatonin and CBD Work Well for you.
Yeah, I agree. Life is so hard, If you can not sleep (thankfully I don't have insomnia all the time, but when I do, it is certainly no pleasure).
Do you drink coffee in the late afternoon or evening? Do you drink tea?

GTW

Alcohol and melatonin (combined) overcome jetlag to put you to sleep.
Research on time restricted eating shows a powerful effect imposing diurnal rhythm even in the face of pathology such as Alzheimer's.
>Rather than restricting calories or making dietary changes, they simply limited food access to a defined six-hour daily window. They found that time-restricted eating improved sleep, metabolism, memory, and cognition, and reduced brain amyloid deposits and neuroinflammatory gene expression... but the real surprise was the extent to which it mitigated brain amyloid deposits and improved cognition and sleep-wake behaviors. “I didn’t expect that it will have such a dramatic impact on pathology,” Desplats said.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals