Debilitating Adrenaline Response To Stress

mmartian

Hi Guys and Gals!

I recently got a call from a prospective employer asking me to come in for a job interview. I really need a new job, so I was very excited about the possibility of career advancement but nervous about the interview process. The employer wanted me to come in the very next day, and as soon as I hung up the phone with them I got this crazy, nervous, heart-pounding adrenaline rush that lasted all day and all night, even lasting into the interview the next afternoon. I'm usually a very good, deep sleeper, rarely waking during the night. I got to bed at a reasonable hour that night, but I could feel the adrenaline pumping — my mind couldn't turn off, my heart was beating very hard and fast, and I didn't get a wink of sleep. It was extremely stressful. I took some oj and with salt and sugar in the middle of the night to no avail. Needless to say, I was a complete zombie during the interview. Although, I don't think I did too bad (I'm a designer and they actually liked my work). But a good, restful night's sleep would've helped for sure. I've never had this happen before. I felt crazy!

I feel like my adrenals are just messed up. I get really nervous lately for no good reason. I'm not my good, ol' confident self. I think I'm going to quit coffee for a bit because it might be exacerbating my symptoms. Might it be true that a fruit/sugar-centric diet tends to elevate adrenaline, as Paul Jaminet has stated before? I notice if I have too much oj with dinner, I don't fall asleep as easily.

Any advice on repairing adrenals and dampening an adrenaline response to stress for good?

Or, as a quick fix, something that will knock me out at night so I can at least function the next day? (I have a feeling they're going to call me back for a second interview, and I need to make sure I'm feeling normal.) Should I just stuff myself with potatoes, butter, milk and salt before I go to sleep next time? Make sure I'm getting enough salt during the day? Could this also be a serotonin issue? I know Peat is against Tylenol, would a few Tylenol PMs with a large dinner be safe?

I've also heard Peat mention a small nibble of T3 at bedtime helps sleep, but if I take too much T3 it makes me quite irritable, so I've never tried taking pure Cynomel at bedtime. I do frequently take Cynoplus during the day, however.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

cliff

tried chocolate milk? if the oj isn't good quality that's definitely an issue. chicharrones or gelatin could help too

OP
mmartian

mmartian

Hey Cliff, I finally found a good source of low-fat grass fed milk that does not give me pimples and makes my skin smooth, so I assume it's of high quality — and I drink a ton of it. Is there something specific about the added powdered cocoa that is anti-adrenaline?

I've run out of my orange can gelatin, though, so I should definitely get more. Wasn't Charlie talking a while ago about a specific amino acid that made him totally chill — was it taurine? Charlie, do you still take it?

The OJ I get is the half gallon "fresh squeezed" stuff at Whole Foods. It has an almost completely clear supernat, as Peat put it, and I think it's the real deal. That's why I try not to have too much at night, because it's so energizing. I think I read Danny Roddy say the same thing about how OJ affects him.

Ray-Z

For me, salt and sugar are great for reducing adrenaline.

If your glucose metabolism is still a little messed up, taking some coconut oil before bed (along with the rest of your pre-bed snack) can give you a backup source of energy and help keep night-time stress under control. I use sugar, CO, salt, and a little OJ before bed, and occasionally throw in some gelatin.

Benadryl (common antihistamine) knocks many people out. If you are very sensitive to benadryl, as I am, you can buy it in tab (as opposed to capsule) form and get a small dose by breaking the tab up and taking 20-30% of it.

Also, you might want to experiment with doing something fun but relaxingl in the evening for a few hours before you go to bed. Talk w/ friends, play w/ a pet, spend quality time w/ someone you love, etc. Also might want to experiment w/ limiting exposure to computers, TV, &c before bed; they can be sources of UV and excessive stimulation.

Jaminet's belief that sugar increases adrenaline is 100% contrary to my experience.

Good luck w/ your interviews.

OP
mmartian

mmartian

Thanks Ray-Z! Great tip on the Benadryl. I'll give that a shot. I'll try to mix in some coconut oil before bed, too. How often and how much salt do you take? I'm seriously considering buying one of those capsule machines and making salt pills because I keep forgetting to take salt during the day.

Ray-Z

mmartian said:
Thanks Ray-Z! Great tip on the Benadryl. I'll give that a shot. I'll try to mix in some coconut oil before bed, too. How often and how much salt do you take? I'm seriously considering buying one of those capsule machines and making salt pills because I keep forgetting to take salt during the day.

You're welcome.

I salt my food to taste during the day and take 1/2 to 1 tsp before bed, as well as small doses if needed during the day. (Obviously, if big doses of salt make you feel barfy, you want to be careful.) I also take a tablespoon of baking soda in the a.m. and after working out.

Ray-Z

If your water is OK, you could also try a warm bath w/ epsom salts or baking soda in the evening.

I haven't tried this idea, but some people say it's relaxing.

OP
mmartian

mmartian

I live in Philly and we have fluoridated water out the wazoo. But I thought that didn't mater because the fluoride can't penetrate through skin?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes, taurine lowers adrenaline output.

Check out this post with studies:

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/for ... ost12.html

And here you can check out some nice studies on taurine:
1. Taurine decreases epinephrine (adrenaline) levels in humans.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3815764
2. Taurine has an anxiolytic effect in rats.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16540157
3. Possible mechanism of taurine's anxiolytic action.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17728537
4. Taurine has an anxiolytic effect in mice.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15240184
5. Taurine is GABA(A) agonist.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18171928
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16150468
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15862540
6. Taurine elevates dopamine levels.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16820013
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1407006

cliff

The chocolate milk is anti stress from the sucrose and nutrients. Coconut oils a very good idea too.

Jenn

The tryptophan in the milk can be to much of a stimulant for some people. Not digesting the food you've already eaten (stress can turn off digestion) can keep you awake too.

Here are some of my bedtime snacks:

Gelatin (gummy candy, bone broth with salt, added gelatin and coconut oil, hot chocolate with gelatin, coffee with gelatin)
Epsom salts (magnesium, so internally or externally in a bath of magnesium oil)
Chocolate (magnesium, minerals)
Ice cream
OJ with a pinch of salt and cream

I use generic benedryl from time to time. My liver loves it, but I get dehydrated if I take too much. I just take one for a real deep sleep, a friend take 2. It energizes my son and he stays up all night...but some how feels refreshed. Strange child. He can only take it during the day.

I salt to taste, but put salt in everything. ;) It's good for your body to be able to taste what's coming down the pike so it can use it better.

Dean

Ray-Z said:
If your water is OK, you could also try a warm bath w/ epsom salts or baking soda in the evening.

I haven't tried this idea, but some people say it's relaxing.

I've taken several of these, but for some bizarre reason my sleep is worse after taking one. Last night I took one and was up all night and had restless legs, which is strange since magnesium is often recommended to combat that. It's not strange for me though; in my SSRI taking days, I often had problems with restless legs and I tried taking Cal/Mag supplements and those too made my restless legs worse. Don't know why this is the case with me.

Swandattur

This is an older post, but restless legs is supposed to be from endotoxin (Ray Peat), I'm pretty sure. So, maybe a carrot salad with coconut oil and the vinegar before bed would help. I've been eating it at that time lately and have had a more restful sleep. So, at least it doesn't hurt at that time and may be helping.

tomisonbottom

My feet often twitch when falling asleep; is that the same thing?
And if it's caused by endotoxin; is carrot salad the answer? Because I already eat that every day and it still happens.

Swandattur

I have gotten what I think is restless legs in the past. I have really been eliminating high histamine foods or from my diet. So, that may be why I haven't gotten it in a while. I have gone through periods where I felt like I needed a heavy weight to hold my feet down. I liked to tuck the cover back under them.

AmandaWald

I was totally in this place yesterday and this morning! Just signing in so I can check this thread later.

mamaherrera

tryptophan in milk really can be stimulating/? I've been doing milk with sugar/gelatin and some nights I sleep good, some nights terribly. I don't know if it's the milk or just plain stress/bad thoughts before bed on some nights. someone said they had to stop drinking milk because it increases serotonin and made them lose lots of hair, but doesn't tryptophan in milk get converted to other things, thus it shouldn't really make more serotonin?? I want to lower tryptophan, not raise it, and some people on Peat forums say the contrary and I'm getting confused. Is there research or some direct place to know what tryptophan in milk does to us?? If it raises serotonin or lowers it???

The only thing I can say for sure is that the restless legs come on when the caffeine fades out, and this for me used to be at 03:00 so maybe not drinking coffee after lunch is how I fixed it. If you are asleep when it happens your legs will still spazz out, I've seen it on other people. Milk when sleepy is also a bad idea.

Green

mamaherrera said:
tryptophan in milk really can be stimulating/? I've been doing milk with sugar/gelatin and some nights I sleep good, some nights terribly. I don't know if it's the milk or just plain stress/bad thoughts before bed on some nights. someone said they had to stop drinking milk because it increases serotonin and made them lose lots of hair, but doesn't tryptophan in milk get converted to other things, thus it shouldn't really make more serotonin?? I want to lower tryptophan, not raise it, and some people on Peat forums say the contrary and I'm getting confused. Is there research or some direct place to know what tryptophan in milk does to us?? If it raises serotonin or lowers it???

Hm... I've been wondering if consuming milk is contributing to an increase of serotonin. I was thinking there may be a way tryptophan isn't being converted into niacin. It might not be converted when there is a higher ratio of phosphate to calcium; that shouldn't be the case. There's also the possibility of the cow eating an allergen. Not being able to digest the protein perhaps. Drinking a large amount of milk while being unable to digest lactose could be the problem. I wonder if supplementing with a food or substance that lowers serotonin would make it less stressful to consume milk without having the ability to digest lactose. Correcting a thyroid deficiency would probably take more time.

I found this thread:
The Tryptophan Problem by Yves
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=403&start=20

Green

Of course, serotonin would be contributing to digestive issues like Irritable bowel syndrome and Gerd.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals