Salt

M

member 14952

I find salt very interesting.
It can induce sedation and make me unproductive for the next few hours.
The explanation for that might be the inhibitory effect on noradrenaline and adrenaline.

That makes me want to have a few grams in the afternoon and evening. I don’t have to work at that time so I can afford to have it.

Interestingly, in the morning I need some salt too. When I wake up I often crave it and if I wait too long I feel numb and anhedonic.

Salting to taste has not completely worked out for me because some of my meals don’t taste good with salt.

At what times of the day do you crave salt? Have you experienced the sedation?

Do we lose a lot of salt during the night because we don’t eat for so long? I’ve seen charts claiming aldosterone to be the highest in the morning.

To give measures: I will stick with a larger portion of 2-3g in the morning and a smaller one later in the day. I will use this post as a public diary and add my future findings.

OP
M

member 14952

I find that salt without a meal does not trigger the sedation. Maybe the effect of salt that speeds up glucose uptake is involved in giving me high blood sugar. Even without salt I do have high blood sugar after meals.

I will now get some good vitamin E and try protect against old pufas in my system.
Also some aspirin and liquid iodine.
I’ve only been actively avoiding pufas for the last 1,5 years and I might actually be somewhat diabetic. Always ate processed food as a child. Maybe had around 15-20g Pufa per day.

Diet is Bananas, coconut oil, oranges, cane sugar, Organs, beef, collagen and salt.

Supplements are calcium carbonate to balance the phosphate of beef, some taurine and some magnesium bisglycinate

Mood is still good though, so that’s something

OP
M

member 14952

I find that salt without a meal does not trigger the sedation. Maybe the effect of salt that speeds up glucose uptake is involved in giving me high blood sugar. Even without salt I do have high blood sugar after meals.

I will now get some good vitamin E and try protect against old pufas in my system.
Also some aspirin and liquid iodine.
I’ve only been actively avoiding pufas for the last 1,5 years and I might actually be somewhat diabetic. Always ate processed food as a child. Maybe had around 15-20g Pufa per day.

Diet is Bananas, coconut oil, oranges, cane sugar, Organs, beef, collagen and salt.

Supplements are calcium carbonate to balance the phosphate of beef, some taurine and some magnesium bisglycinate

Mood is still good though, so that’s something

OP
M

member 14952

Sedation hits with salt, no way around it for me. Yesterday I had a pinch or two right before bed and it was great. I will stick to that and avoid it during the day. Even half a gram knocks me out.

Sedation was gone in the morning. I felt good. I will now avoid salt until it is late at night. This somewhat aligns with my appetite for it.

Neeters 27

NEVER avoid salt!!!!! it will force your adrenal glands to compensate with Aldosterone which causes terrible things, icluding High blood pressure! I put salt in my Orange juice and pineapple juice daily. I salt everything, i crave it. I sweat a LOT (thanks to menopause flashes despite being on HRT) and I am a "salty sweater" as my clothes after gym get white salt stains if I dont wash right away...whenever I walk in the kitchen I sprinkle sea salt on my palm and lick it! I eat salty potato chips too. I need it! if salt tastes good when you taste it on its own, you need it. if you dont need it, it will taste bitter and make you feel sick when you eat it on its own. I know I have burnt out adrenals, therefore salt fixes me up...

OP
M

member 14952

NEVER avoid salt!!!!! it will force your adrenal glands to compensate with Aldosterone which causes terrible things, icluding High blood pressure! I put salt in my Orange juice and pineapple juice daily. I salt everything, i crave it. I sweat a LOT (thanks to menopause flashes despite being on HRT) and I am a "salty sweater" as my clothes after gym get white salt stains if I dont wash right away...whenever I walk in the kitchen I sprinkle sea salt on my palm and lick it! I eat salty potato chips too. I need it! if salt tastes good when you taste it on its own, you need it. if you dont need it, it will taste bitter and make you feel sick when you eat it on its own. I know I have burnt out adrenals, therefore salt fixes me up...
Thank you very much for your response. I hope you feel good.

I am a little bit lost on that topic. A lot could be going on: Salt speeds up sugar uptake from the intestine and salt lowers stress hormones. Salt making me tired could mean that I am just insulin resistant and running on stress hormones.

Instead of avoiding salt, I focus on insulin sensitivity and thyroid health now. That seems like a more reasonable approach to me. Few other people experience the sedation so I don’t think it is optimal or normal

OP
M

member 14952

I found this blog helpful

I found this blog helpful

Oh yes that Looks good. btw I feel much better after addressing thyroid, body temps and cofactors for proper glucose oxidation

sunny

I love salted oj and pineapple juice also. What salt have people chosen. I felt I was getting a great salt, it is light and delicious- diamond Krystal kosher salt - , but then this was posted in another thread and now I am not so sure. Diamond apparently did not respond to request for info. I don't think this article takes into consideration the other metals in same salts that ray has talked about, such as the pink color of Himalayan being undesirable iron. In a quandary ? , How much Lead is in salt? Which salt is safest to use for cooking? Is Himalayan salt safe?

Neeters 27

I love salted oj and pineapple juice also. What salt have people chosen. I felt I was getting a great salt, it is light and delicious- diamond Krystal kosher salt - , but then this was posted in another thread and now I am not so sure. Diamond apparently did not respond to request for info. I don't think this article takes into consideration the other metals in same salts that ray has talked about, such as the pink color of Himalayan being undesirable iron. In a quandary ? , How much Lead is in salt? Which salt is safest to use for cooking? Is Himalayan salt safe?
favourite salt for cooking is Salamoia Bolognese, Italian sea salt with herbs. its deelish on garden tomatoes or anything. to cook with salt I use greek or italian sea salts. Costco sells the greek one, its very fine and not bitter.

@yerrag

in the public market i found out its treated with iodine. So to get untreated salt you need to get in the province direct to the salt farmer. Anything in the public market and supermarekt is mandatory iodized.

Luann

In the US, Himalayan, celtic, and kosher salt do not list iodine on the label.

Attachments

• 0509EEB4-39AB-4024-99F1-B46D7774A7FF.jpeg
    0509EEB4-39AB-4024-99F1-B46D7774A7FF.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 19
I got curious at tthis real salt. It says on the back
"long before the earth knew pollution, volcanic eruptions sealed an ancient, pristine ocean beneath a layer of protective ash in what is now North America. Real salt is the only brand of sea salt harvested from this anceint deposit in redmond utah. We bring it to you an nature created it - an unrefined, ancient sea salt with a subtle sweet flavor unlike any other salt on earth"

@Rinse & rePeat

Dutchie

The Redmond real salt (available here) looks pinkish, it looks similar to Himalayan salt.
So, I wonder if Redmond real salt contains oxidised iron as well, which gives it its pink color...

aniciete