First time I've slept more than 7 hours straight. But why?

firebreather

I've posted a few times on the forum about my sleep issues to try and figure out what's going on.

I think the general consensus and I would agree is that it's adrenaline especially with my job.

Anyway 2 nights ago I went to bed at 9:50pm and didn't wake up until 6:10am - that's the first time I've slept more than 7 straight hours in 3 years.

Most nights I'm lucky to make it 5 hours before I wake up.

You might call me stupid for asking the question when I say that I only get 1 hr sleep the night before - Actually 3 minutes and then another 30 minutes several hours later in the car.

You see we were visiting family for the holidays and planned to start our drive back home (16 hours) at 5am. But by 1am I had only slept 30 minutes so we decided to just get up and leave. My wife drove for a little while around 7 and I probably got anther 30 minutes. Then I drove the rest of the way.

There were several instances in the 16 hours that were quite stressful with two little kids in the car and malfunctioning dvd players :( so I'm sure I was running on plenty of adrenaline.

Then we get home and about 4 hours later I went to bed with a 1/2 mg of cypro.

But I've taken cypro multiple times and still have never slept more than 5 hrs straight.

Now some might say that it's obvious why I slept so well - because I had so little sleep the night before.

I've had several nights over the last couple of yrs where I've only gotten 2 or 3 hrs sleep the night before but my sleep wasn't this good the next night.

Even with as little sleep the night before I would still think that I would have been woken up by adrenaline.

My eating was about normal so I can't say that helped.

Someone posted on one of my other threads that it takes energy to sleep and that makes sense to me. I've had many instances over the years where I was exhausted but still had a horrible night sleep.

Just trying to get to the bottom of the situation so I can figure out how to improve as sugar, salt, calories, etc (they typical peat suggestions) don't seem to be helping.

answersfound

Being able to sleep deeply is a sign of strong metabolism, so I would guess your health is improving. You are able to expend more energy throughout the day, and therefore, require deeper sleep. Also, it probably means stress hormones are coming down, like adrenaline.

OP
F

firebreather

answersfound said:
post 116297 Being able to sleep deeply is a sign of strong metabolism, so I would guess your health is improving. You are able to expend more energy throughout the day, and therefore, require deeper sleep. Also, it probably means stress hormones are coming down, like adrenaline.

I wish that was the case but everything else says otherwise: fatigue, poor bowel formation, cold, frequent urination, etc

The last two nights were as typical sleep, up at 1:30 then 3:45, then 5:00

Last edited by a moderator:

answersfound

firebreather said:
post 116311
answersfound said:
post 116297 Being able to sleep deeply is a sign of strong metabolism, so I would guess your health is improving. You are able to expend more energy throughout the day, and therefore, require deeper sleep. Also, it probably means stress hormones are coming down, like adrenaline.

I wish that was the case but everything else says otherwise: fatigue, poor bowel formation, cold, frequent urination, etc

What about your mood? That is the most indicator in my opinion. I have found that when the mood is good, it's only a matter of time before everything else falls into place. Also, I hope you are taking thyroid, even if it's just a small amount.

OP
F

firebreather

answersfound said:
post 116313
firebreather said:
post 116311
answersfound said:

What about your mood? That is the most indicator in my opinion. I have found that when the mood is good, it's only a matter of time before everything else falls into place. Also, I hope you are taking thyroid, even if it's just a small amount.

Definitely taking thyroid

I can't say that my mood has changed.

Struggles at home feel about the same - that's the big indicator for me. I generally fight to stay out of this hopeless outlook on life when it comes to family challenges.

answersfound

firebreather said:
post 116317
answersfound said:
post 116313
firebreather said:
post 116311
answersfound said:

Struggles at home feel about the same - that's the big indicator for me. I generally fight to stay out of this hopeless outlook on life when it comes to family challenges.

Okay. Be patient with thyroid. It could be 6 weeks until you notice some real improvement. If you have any digestive issues, aspirin and vitamin k can improve things pretty quickly. Pregnenolone is also incredible for stress. You could start at 50-75 mg daily and work your way up if you aren't seeing improvement in mood, but it should be pretty quick.

OP
F

firebreather

answersfound said:
post 116318
firebreather said:
post 116317
answersfound said:
post 116313
firebreather said:
post 116311
answersfound said:

Okay. Be patient with thyroid. It could be 6 weeks until you notice some real improvement. If you have any digestive issues, aspirin and vitamin k can improve things pretty quickly. Pregnenolone is also incredible for stress. You could start at 50-75 mg daily and work your way up if you aren't seeing improvement in mood, but it should be pretty quick.

I've been taking thyroid for 2 years now :)

Don't have digestive issues unless that includes poorly formed bowel movements but K and aspirin didn't do anything for that for me

Can you be specific about what pregnenolone you've see results with?

answersfound

firebreather said:
post 116330
answersfound said:
post 116318
firebreather said:
post 116317
answersfound said:
post 116313
firebreather said:
post 116311
answersfound said:

Don't have digestive issues unless that includes poorly formed bowel movements but K and aspirin didn't do anything for that for me

Pregnenolone will improve digestion in doses over 100 mg daily. It just balances mood and makes you really relaxed. It sounds like it's exactly what you need since thyroid isn't working for you.

OP
F

firebreather

answersfound said:
post 116332
firebreather said:
post 116330
answersfound said:
post 116318
firebreather said:
post 116317
answersfound said:
post 116313
firebreather said:
post 116311
answersfound said:

Pregnenolone will improve digestion in doses over 100 mg daily. It just balances mood and makes you really relaxed. It sounds like it's exactly what you need since thyroid isn't working for you.

Sounds awesome. I've tried pregnenolone before in drops under the tongue but it did nothing.

Can you share what you've used?

answersfound

firebreather said:
post 116336
answersfound said:
post 116332
firebreather said:
post 116330
answersfound said:
post 116318
firebreather said:
post 116317
answersfound said:
post 116313
firebreather said:
post 116311
answersfound said:

Sounds awesome. I've tried pregnenolone before in drops under the tongue but it did nothing.

The one from health natura. The magic is in the higher doses. If you are a man, you could also look into haidut's Pansterone, which has DHEA. Pregnenolone could affect libido, so it's good to have some DHEA on hand in case.

OP
F

firebreather

answersfound said:
post 116342
firebreather said:
post 116336
answersfound said:
post 116332
firebreather said:
post 116330
answersfound said:
post 116318
firebreather said:
post 116317
answersfound said:
post 116313
firebreather said:
post 116311
answersfound said:

The one from health natura. The magic is in the higher doses. If you are a man, you could also look into haidut's Pansterone, which has DHEA. Pregnenolone could affect libido, so it's good to have some DHEA on hand in case.

Thank you

I am a man.

You say the secret is in the high doses but the Pansterone has equal amounts of Pregeneolone and DHEA but he says not to take more than 15mg DHEA per day? So do you take the Pansterone and add the Health Natura? Otherwise you can't get that much Preg without using more DHEA than he recommends

Orion

firebreather said:
post 116351
answersfound said:
post 116342
firebreather said:
post 116336
answersfound said:
post 116332
firebreather said:
post 116330
answersfound said:
post 116318
firebreather said:
post 116317
answersfound said:
post 116313
firebreather said:
post 116311
answersfound said:

Thank you

I am a man.

You say the secret is in the high doses but the Pansterone has equal amounts of Pregeneolone and DHEA but he says not to take more than 15mg DHEA per day? So do you take the Pansterone and add the Health Natura? Otherwise you can't get that much Preg without using more DHEA than he recommends

Pansterone didn't help with my sleep, 2 to 4 drops before bed, would have me up every couple hours sweating and wide awake.

Definitely experiment with preg, but be wary of the headaches and anger/irritability it can cause at high doses. over 25mg/day for me = anger, but I was also pushing aspirin and niacinamide intake higher and they dont agree with me. Caused big blood sugar crashes, anxiety/anger... I now take 5mg or 10mg preg tab per day, seems to help.

How is your caffeine intake? Got my caffeine up to 200mg per day, slowly increasing, 50mg with dinner seems to help with my sleep as well. I can do 6hrs without waking now... some day I hope 8!

OP
F

firebreather

Orion said:
post 116392
firebreather said:
post 116351
answersfound said:
post 116342
firebreather said:
post 116336
answersfound said:
post 116332
firebreather said:
post 116330
answersfound said:
post 116318
firebreather said:
post 116317
answersfound said:
post 116313
firebreather said:
post 116311
answersfound said:

Thank you

I am a man.

Pansterone didn't help with my sleep, 2 to 4 drops before bed, would have me up every couple hours sweating and wide awake.

Definitely experiment with preg, but be wary of the headaches and anger/irritability it can cause at high doses. over 25mg/day for me = anger, but I was also pushing aspirin and niacinamide intake higher and they dont agree with me. Caused big blood sugar crashes, anxiety/anger... I now take 5mg or 10mg preg tab per day, seems to help.

How is your caffeine intake? Got my caffeine up to 200mg per day, slowly increasing, 50mg with dinner seems to help with my sleep as well. I can do 6hrs without waking now... some day I hope 8!

Thank you, that is very informative

I'll start slow with the preg - for some reasons things don't tend to hit me much. Meaning I normally have to take a lot for something to affect me, if it affects me at all. I have no idea why.

Caffeine doesn't seem to affect me much either way anymore it seems. I had a 200mg tab this morning with breakfast and then another around 10am with some OJ and gelatin and I felt a slight boost of energy. Very nervous to take it before bed though.

Orion

firebreather said:
post 116395 Thank you, that is very informative

I'll start slow with the preg - for some reasons things don't tend to hit me much. Meaning I normally have to take a lot for something to affect me, if it affects me at all. I have no idea why.

Caffeine doesn't seem to affect me much either way anymore it seems. I had a 200mg tab this morning with breakfast and then another around 10am with some OJ and gelatin and I felt a slight boost of energy. Very nervous to take it before bed though.

I am the opposite, I react to things quickly, and acne is the thing that tells me if I am heading in the right or wrong direction. Also sleep, pansterone messed up my sleep from day 1, I assume this means DHEA levels are ok in me.

I guess if caffeine is working for you, you could try to get up to the ~1gram/day level, seen that recommended to really clean the liver out.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5551&start=30#p66013

OP
F

firebreather

Orion said:
post 116420
firebreather said:

I am the opposite, I react to things quickly, and acne is the thing that tells me if I am heading in the right or wrong direction. Also sleep, pansterone messed up my sleep from day 1, I assume this means DHEA levels are ok in me.

I guess if caffeine is working for you, you could try to get up to the ~1gram/day level, seen that recommended to really clean the liver out.

The thing is I'm not 100% sure that my liver has issues. Everyone here says that waking in the middle of the night is a liver issue because blood sugar is low right?

I've taken my blood sugar a couple times when I woke up at night and it has been in the normal range - above 80.

I might just try the 1g of caffeine - although even though it doesn't give me much energy I'm not 100% sure it doesn't lend to my sleep problems even when I take it early in the day.

Orion

firebreather said:
post 116494
Orion said:
post 116420
firebreather said:

The thing is I'm not 100% sure that my liver has issues. Everyone here says that waking in the middle of the night is a liver issue because blood sugar is low right?

I've taken my blood sugar a couple times when I woke up at night and it has been in the normal range - above 80.

I might just try the 1g of caffeine - although even though it doesn't give me much energy I'm not 100% sure it doesn't lend to my sleep problems even when I take it early in the day.

Need to remember your blood sugar levels will be normal at night, but its adrenaline/cortisol being used to keep it up. They are what wake you up, since liver sugar stores are low.

I am going to be lowering my caffeine intake again, seems to liberate FFA's for me, as I am gaining weight with higher caffeine intakes (only 200mg/day). I am going to try small amounts of caffeine with small amounts of FFA inhibitors again(theanine, aspirin and niacinamide). Last time I tried caffeine with the inhibitors, my blood sugar was on a roller coaster, sleep was crap, mood was horrible and acne exploded. But I was doing bigger doses and didn't react well. Jumped in way to fast!

Caffeine at higher doses, watch pulse, temp, mood, skin issues, and of course sleep.

OP
F

firebreather

Orion said:
post 116507
firebreather said:
post 116494
Orion said:
post 116420
firebreather said:

Need to remember your blood sugar levels will be normal at night, but its adrenaline/cortisol being used to keep it up. They are what wake you up, since liver sugar stores are low.

I am going to be lowering my caffeine intake again, seems to liberate FFA's for me, as I am gaining weight with higher caffeine intakes (only 200mg/day). I am going to try small amounts of caffeine with small amounts of FFA inhibitors again(theanine, aspirin and niacinamide). Last time I tried caffeine with the inhibitors, my blood sugar was on a roller coaster, sleep was crap, mood was horrible and acne exploded. But I was doing bigger doses and didn't react well. Jumped in way to fast!

Caffeine at higher doses, watch pulse, temp, mood, skin issues, and of course sleep.

Ah right, thank you for reminding me that's how it works.

I'll keep those points in mind with the caffeine

tara

answersfound said:
post 116318 You could start at 50-75 mg daily and work your way up if you aren't seeing improvement in mood, but it should be pretty quick.
I'd favour trying a smaller dose first, if you are going to try this. Or 50-100mg once a week or so.

firebreather said:
post 116395 Caffeine doesn't seem to affect me much either way anymore it seems. I had a 200mg tab this morning with breakfast and then another around 10am with some OJ and gelatin and I felt a slight boost of energy. Very nervous to take it before bed though.

I think caffeine affects sleep very differently for differnt people. For me, a little caffeine has been followed by some long deep sleeps, but the withdrawal seems to be hard on me. If you only drink it in the moning, you may be dealing with withdrawal through the night. I think this ones probably worth experimenting with in both directions at different times to see what difference it makes to your sleep. Both abstinence or reduction even in the morning, and drinking coffee in the afternoon or evening.

OP
F

firebreather

tara said:
post 116515
answersfound said:
post 116318 You could start at 50-75 mg daily and work your way up if you aren't seeing improvement in mood, but it should be pretty quick.
I'd favour trying a smaller dose first, if you are going to try this. Or 50-100mg once a week or so.

firebreather said:
post 116395 Caffeine doesn't seem to affect me much either way anymore it seems. I had a 200mg tab this morning with breakfast and then another around 10am with some OJ and gelatin and I felt a slight boost of energy. Very nervous to take it before bed though.

I think caffeine affects sleep very differently for differnt people. For me, a little caffeine has been followed by some long deep sleeps, but the withdrawal seems to be hard on me. If you only drink it in the moning, you may be dealing with withdrawal through the night. I think this ones probably worth experimenting with in both directions at different times to see what difference it makes to your sleep. Both abstinence or reduction even in the morning, and drinking coffee in the afternoon or evening.

I've been thinking trying it at night for a little while but a little afraid to lol.

I never really thought of the withdrawal thing at night affecting sleep. I often have caffeine in the afternoon but never past 2.

I've had 600mg so far today 200 this morning and 400 around 12:30. I am at work tonight so I'm a little nervous about trying it.

tara

firebreather said:
post 116520 I've been thinking trying it at night for a little while but a little afraid to lol.
Lol, yeah, experimenting with new practices does entail some risk - no guarantees how it will work out.
Sometimes it's hard to find a good time to try things.

BTW, your better night's sleep ddn't happen to coincide with you having slightly longer away from work? Or more time enjoying loved ones?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals