Dysfunctional Stress Response - Suggestions?

Rozzy80

Hello!

I'll try to not go into my life story here, but want to give enough info regardless!

My body has what seems to be a dysfunctional stress response, almost like it's forever stuck in the exhaustion cycle and the ability to respond/adapt to stressors isn't there.

I work in a stressful/stimulating environment (Emergency Nurse) so days of work especially leave me overtly exhausted, my nervous system totally out of sorts. This has been going on for 20 years (just happened spontaneously one morning) and every single doctor/test has revealed nothing except for sky high cholesterol which they've deemed familial hypercholesterolemia as my entire family has it.

I've done my due diligence and saw a psych doctor but even they deemed it was not anything psych related. I previous attempt by my family doctor to try ssris or benzos didn't work at all, with SSRIs making symptoms far worse.

Symptoms will be I sweat ridiculously easy, brain fog, non-restful sleep (my FitBit states I sleep well though!), super sensitive to sounds/light/smells, intolerance to heat, slowish digestion, intolerance to caffeine/stimulants, and almost like my entire nervous system is "buzzing" (if that makes sense).

Not sure if anyone can relate or have any suggestions?

Over the 20 years I've literally tried every diet/supplement known to man to no avail, and I did give each time to see if they'd work.

My diet currently is I guess "Peaty" and seems to work for me digestion wise.

I'm not currently taking any supplements/medications.

The only thing with a noticeable effect was cyproheptadine.. as I sleep like a baby but it tends to leave me completely lethargic and apathetic.

Hopefully this is enough information!

Thank you in advance!

redsun

Hello!

I'll try to not go into my life story here, but want to give enough info regardless!

My body has what seems to be a dysfunctional stress response, almost like it's forever stuck in the exhaustion cycle and the ability to respond/adapt to stressors isn't there.

I work in a stressful/stimulating environment (Emergency Nurse) so days of work especially leave me overtly exhausted, my nervous system totally out of sorts. This has been going on for 20 years (just happened spontaneously one morning) and every single doctor/test has revealed nothing except for sky high cholesterol which they've deemed familial hypercholesterolemia as my entire family has it.

I've done my due diligence and saw a psych doctor but even they deemed it was not anything psych related. I previous attempt by my family doctor to try ssris or benzos didn't work at all, with SSRIs making symptoms far worse.

Symptoms will be I sweat ridiculously easy, brain fog, non-restful sleep (my FitBit states I sleep well though!), super sensitive to sounds/light/smells, intolerance to heat, slowish digestion, intolerance to caffeine/stimulants, and almost like my entire nervous system is "buzzing" (if that makes sense).

Over the 20 years I've literally tried every diet/supplement known to man to no avail, and I did give each time to see if they'd work.

The only thing with a noticeable effect was cyproheptadine.. as I sleep like a baby but it tends to leave me completely lethargic and apathetic.

Thank you in advance!

You probably have high stress hormones. Specificially, high norepinephrine (NE) from your stressful work. High NE makes you sensitive to sounds and smells. It will also inhibits digestion. This probably explains why your nervous system feels like its buzzing and you are intolerant to stimulants (they increase NE among other things).

The main way you lower excess NE is trying to keep stress down and eat healthy, a lot of carbs and animal proteins. But foods and supplements that promote acetylcholine function can also help. Choline, B-vitamins, zinc. You could try eating more eggs and animal proteins (meat) as they are the best source of choline and also provide methionine (which can be made into choline). B complex supplement can also be something worth trying in combination which a choline/protein rich diet. This should help counteract the high NE symptoms to a degree.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rozzy80

You probably have high stress hormones. Specificially, high norepinephrine (NE) from your stressful work. High NE makes you sensitive to sounds and smells. It will also inhibits digestion. This probably explains why your nervous system feels like its buzzing and you are intolerant to stimulants (they increase NE among other things).

The main way you lower excess NE is trying to keep stress down and eat healthy, a lot of carbs and animal proteins. But foods and supplements that promote acetylcholine function can also help. Choline, B-vitamins, zinc. You could try eating more eggs and animal proteins (meat) as they are the best source of choline and also provide methionine (which can be made into choline). B complex supplement can also be something worth trying in combination which a choline/protein rich diet. This should help counteract the high NE symptoms to a degree.
Thank you for your reply!

This was one of my suspicions. I have had a 24 hr urine metanephrines test (catecholamine metabolites) which I figured would be high as I collected it during a pretty intense day at work, but it was within "normal range".

Though maybe this means nothing.

Can high norepinephrine cause "air hunger" type symptoms as well?

Korven

The high cholesterol, high adrenaline symptoms/not being able to relax, sluggish digestion, poor sleep, intolerance to stimulants... all these symptoms sound like hypothyroidism to me.

Have you ever tried supplementing with thyroid? Taking thyroid can have a profoundly relaxing effect when your body has been chronically running on stress hormones!

Thyroid supplementation + quality milk and lots of carbs + sunshine should help a lot. Your environment is likely also contributing to this hypothyroid state, and you may want to look at reducing work hours and/or if possible switching to a less stressful job so that you can recover your health.

OP
R

Rozzy80

Thanks for the reply!

No I haven't tried supplementing with thyroid as of yet.

Would I need a prescription for this? It may be tough to acquire when my blood results appear "normal".

Korven

@Rozzy80

IdeaLabs Online Store - Lab / R&D Chemicals has a very good natural desiccated thyroid called TyroMax. I used it myself to treat hypothyroidism and get my temperature and pulse rate up to good levels. They also sell a synthetic T3 + T4 and a T3 only product.

Some people buy Cynoplus from Mexican pharmacies online, though I haven't tried that option.

Danny Roddy has written an excellent guide on how to supplement thyroid here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/14839477. You want to start low and gradually up the dose over months!

I don't think there's anything that can quite replace the effects of thyroid medication, but things like aspirin, thiamine, niacinamide, caffeine, etc can have similar effects as thyroid. A good diet is also super important.

JoanAlquil

Hello!

Thank you in advance!
I have had similar symptoms. The feeling that I cannot cope with the slightest stress. I have discovered several support supplements. For example. If I know that I will be more than two days off I use Ashwagandha which supports thyroid function. For those days when nothing helps me sleep, I take 1 or 2 81mg baby aspirin (30 minutes and wait for the effect before taking the second one).

There is a time of the year in which I am more susceptible and also a time of day. For the first it is, the changes of season of the year, fundamentally autumn and spring. For the second is when night falls. It is good that you analyze when this is for you. I think it has to do with the body's defenses and the immune system.

If I'm on one of those days where I know it's going to be hard for me, I take a bovine adrenal gland extract pill.

Otherwise there are supplements that support hormones according to age, for example Alfalfa, Red Clover, Vitex, Sage ... Magnolia Bark ... Green Tea Extract is also an option for me.

There are others ... Cordyceps Sinensis, Lion's Mane, Chaga, Reishi, Maitake, Shiitake. These are mushrooms so they are taken together for a more potent anti-stress effect.

Otherwise all those Ginseng (although only one is really Ginseng) .. Korean Ginseng (Panax Ginseng), Eleuthero, Maca ... These make a long-term and supposedly permanent effect.

Perhaps there are some more because this list is not exhaustive. But surely something here could be of help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals