Mystery Illness - Help!

omron

Hi there,

7 years ago I came down with a mystery illness. So far no doctors had been able to get anywhere with a diagnosis, and I was just wondering whether if I posted a fairly detailed history of my case, symptoms and test results would you be able to offer any ideas in regards to what it could be or where to start?

The illness began in November and completely out of the blue. I woke up feeling totally normal and then at just after midday I started to feel very weak and fatigued. This continued for about 30 minutes at which point I wondered if it was being caused by low blood sugar or lack of energy from having not eaten for a while, so I promptly tried eating food (even though I had zero appetite) and it made me much, much worse. I started to feel sick, shaking, sweating and heart thumping and also apparently became very pale – as was told by a friend. I spent the afternoon just lying on my bed because of the nausea, sweating, shaking, heart pounding etc, which continued throughout the afternoon until 5pm when I started to feel much better. In fact so much so that I believed I was over whatever it was and ate a full meal and went to bed assuming I’d be fine the next day. However, after waking and feeling ok during the morning, again at 12pm the exact same thing happened (albeit without the nausea) – fatigued throughout the afternoon, heart pounding etc. Come 5pm, I improved and felt much better during the evening. Then again the same thing at the same time. Every single day for the last 7 years this exact same pattern has happened – 12pm become extremely fatigued and ill feeling, 5pm I improve and feel better. Unfortunately, this was only the beginning, and since then I have got progressively worse over the years but this same pattern has been present every single day.

After this continued for about 10 days I went to a doctor who performed some routine blood tests that whilst didn’t show any specific illness, did show an increase in ESR, CRP, white cell count (neutrophils) and platelets.

These levels continued to rise throughout December, January and February, but then in April had begun to come down. By August they were all completely normal, and although I felt a little bit better, the illness remained.

Not only does the illness follow a daily pattern that I mentioned above, 12pm worse until 5pm, but there is a bizarre but obvious 6 monthly pattern – my blood tests are all increased during the winter months (October to March) and then from April they begin to improve until August when everything is normal again, and then come October they all start to rise again and the pattern repeats itself. This has happened every single year for 7 years now without fail. During the winter I feel worse too, as reflected by the blood tests, but come the summer when they all become normal I only feel a mild improvement in myself.

Recently, instead of my CRP, ESR, platelets, neutrophils etc. being raised as I said above, they all became normal during the winter and instead my ALT (alanine aminotransferase) became very high (313 and top of the range is 50), stayed this way throughout winter and has since become normal again as I’ve come into the summer months. I had my liver scanned and a hepatitis screen to check for liver problems but all was fine. I’ve since looked ALT up and found that it can be caused by inflammation to the liver, and the increased ESR, CRP, platelets etc. points to inflammation too, although only during the winter months for some reason.

I have also had my cortisol levels tested in the blood multiple times and they have been high every single time. However, when I've had a cortisol saliva test, and also a urine test, both of those have been normal to low. So that's confusing.

Other symptoms I have:

Strongly beating heart – At first this was only present between midday and 5pm, but it has now become constant at all times. Whether I’m lying, sitting or standing my heart beats far too strongly all the time and I feel a constant pounding in my chest. Not necessarily too fast, just thumping away in my chest. When I stand my pulse rate increases too. This was shown as postural tachycardia by a tilt table test.

Hair loss – from body and head. Hair on my head is very thin now, and is still constantly falling out. Also lost hair from my thigh calf.

Constantly low temperature - low on waking (average about 36.0 C/ 96.8 F) and rises slightly throughout the day peaking at about 9pm at 36.4 C/ 97.5 F). Also if I stand, walk about or do any exercise my temperature drops. In fact even if I lean forward my temperature drops.

Fatigue – the fatigue doesn’t make me feel sleepy, just weak and ill. It’s hard to describe exactly, but since this all started I haven’t felt right once.

Loss of appetite – Since becoming ill I haven’t felt hungry at all. It’s like my sense of hunger has been switched off.

Digestion – bloating, gas and wind. Along with a loss of appetite I seem to have lost feeling in my stomach, as if it is not sending me messages of when I’m hungry. I could go hours and hours and never feel hungry.

Weight – Has always been very low, and no matter how much I eat I can’t get over 8 and a half stone/125lbs. I'm 5ft 10" and 27 years old.

Skin – I have severe seborrheic dermatitis on my face, scalp and torso.

Nervous system – It feels like my entire nervous system is very oversensitive, but not in the normal way people talk about. When I look at a TV, computer or phone screen I get what feels like an adrenaline release. I will sweat, shake, my heart rate increases and I have to open my bowels. This happens almost instantly. I don’t find the computer or TV a strain on my eyes or struggle with the glare. In fact the only problem I have is this ridiculous body reaction. I also get the same reaction of an what feels like an adrenaline release when I need to open my bowels – instead of the normal message everyone gets that tells them they have to go to the toilet my body instead does the shaking, sweating and heart rate increase which will persist until I open my bowels and it then stops almost instantly.
Also to do with my digestion is that when I drink fluid my body often reacts by shaking and sweating. My digestion is so poor that I cannot drink during the day as it fills me up and would not allow me to eat anymore food, and with such a low weight I am concerned about it dropping even further. So I finish my evening meal and then have fluid. However when I do drink my body reacts by making me sweat and shake – again what feels like adrenaline. This happens with cold drinks, so is not to do with the warmth from hot drinks. This coupled with my poor digestion has meant that I find it very difficult to consume the required amount of fluid per day, and sweating and shaking every time you consume fluid is incredibly debilitating. I realise these could all sound psychological but can assure you they are definitely not. They are physical reactions that I have absolutely no control over.
Other problems with the nervous system are that any minor stress or tension results in a massive over reacting. I find it difficult to watch something like a sporting event I enjoy or a tense thriller as even the slightly tension causes my body to over react and I will again sweat, shake, and have the heart rate increase.
It’s really difficult to describe all these problems accurately as most people seem to always get the wrong end of the stick, like I can’t look at a TV screen because it’s too bright and my eyes are sensitive to the light, but that’s not the case at all. All that happens is my body sweats, shakes, heart rate increases etc.

Reaction after stress – If something does cause me to be stressed or nervous, as mentioned above, then the next day or a couple of days later I feel much worse. More fatigued, digestion worse, more sensitive nervous system. Also my temperature can increase and has on a few occasions after a big stress caused me to have a raised above normal temp or even fever. It seems that after something stressful then whatever the inflammation is that’s lurking in my body and causing my increased blood tests is able to have more of an affect, thus causing the problems I mentioned above.

The sun – I am unable to go in the sun as if I do my body also reacts by causing me to feel much worse the next day and then thereafter and also causes me to have an increased temperature or fevers. This to me seems like my body is viewing sunlight as a stress to it (merely guesswork though). I've only been able to go in the sun 3 or 4 times over the last 5 years and each time I've felt much worse after and had quite severe fevers a few days later too.

Sweating – whilst so many things cause me to sweat, I only do so from my back, armpits and legs. My face, head, neck, chest, stomach, arms and hands do not sweat at all, ever.

Sleep – I cannot get to sleep unless I eat something. I am wide awake and then I eat something small and I fall asleep within a few minutes. I often wake during the night and have to eat something small to get back to sleep again. When I do wake in the night I wake feeling completely alert - my mind is often racing and my heart beating strongly, and then when I eat these symptoms reduce and allow me to fall asleep again.

Racing thoughts – my brain seems to be over stimulated all of the time.

Reflexes – very quick reflexes.

Greasy hair – within hours of washing it my hair becomes very greasy.

Sex drive - weirdly my sex drive is increased, a lot. From the research I've done online most chronic illnesses have a reduced libido, but mine is through the roof!

One last thing I have not mentioned is that along with following the seasonal-like pattern of improving blood tests during the summer months, some symptoms I have improve during these summer months and then can go altogether, but as the blood tests begin to rise again around October new symptoms will then emerge. So symptoms can come and go following this pattern every year and large parts of illness seems to be continually changing.

I DO NOT suffer from:
Brain fog or memory problems – my mind feels as sharp as it has ever done.
Dizziness/light headedness/fainting
Chest pains.
Headaches.
Visual disturbances.
Pain – I have no joint or muscle pain whatsoever.
Vomiting.
Immune system – been ill with regular viruses, none more so than usual though, and the immune system hasn’t struggled.
Depression – haven’t been depressed at all, just frustrated.

Doctors have performed quite a few tests on me:

TSH – in first few weeks of illness it was 2.2, now 7 and half years later it is 1.4.
FT3 – 4.8 PMOL/L - Range 3.5-6.5
FT4 – 19.4 PMOL/L – Range 12-22
Parathyroid – 2.8 PMOL/L – Range 1.6-6.9
Cortisol – 901 NMOL/L – Range 180 - 620.

Echo cardiogram, ECG and 24 hour heart rate monitor – normal but cardiologist noted my strongly beating heart and an erratic heart.
Ultrasound of stomach – normal.
Ultrasound of liver – normal.
ACTH Stimulation (Synacthen) test – normal.
MRI of head and lumbar - normal.

Urine metadrenalines:
Normetadrenaline - 1.71 UMOL/24 HRS - Range 0-3.60
Metadrenaline - 0.87 UMOL/24 HRS - Range 0-1.90
3Methoxytyramin - 1.56 UMOL/24 HRS - Range 0-3.30

Anti-nuclear antibodies – negative.
Smooth muscle antibodies – negative.
Mitochondrial antibodies – negative.
Gast PL Cell antibodies – negative.
Liver Kidney microsomal antibodies – negative.
Endomysial antibodies – negative.
DNA binding antibodies – negative.
Rheumatoid Factor – normal.
Borrelia (Lyme disease) antibodies – negative.
Infectious Mononucleosis – negative.
Coxsacki B Virus – negative.
Toxoplasama antibodies – negative.

IgG – 11.7 G/L - Range 6-13
IgA – 2.81 G/L - Range 0.8-3.0
IgM – 0.51 G/L - Range 0.4-2.5
Chromogranin A - 51 - Range 0-60
Chromogranin B - 92 - Range 0-150
Compliment C3 – 1.38 g/l – Range 0.9-1.80
Compliment C4 – 0.28 g/l – Range 0.1-0.4

Glucose fasting test – 4.4 mmol/L - No range.
Insulin-like Growth factor 1 - 43.3 nmol/L - Range 23-70
Insulin-like Growth factor 2 - 67.3 nmol/L - No range

ESR – 60 mm/hr - Range 1-5
C-Reactive Protein – 77 mg/l - Range 0-8
Neutrophils – 12.4 x10^9/L - Range 2-7.5
Platelets – 460 x10^9/L - Range 150-450
MCV – 73.0 fL - Range 83-105
MCH – 22.9 pg - Range 27-32
MCHC – 29.6 g/dl - Range 31-36
Serum iron – 4.4 UG/L- Range 10-28
Iron Saturation – 11% - Range 20-55
Haemoglobin – 11.8 G/DL - Range 13-17
Calcium - 2.50 mmol/L (Range 2.15-2.55) (I had another calcium test a few years before this and it was 2.63)
Serum B12 - 756 NG/L (Range 180-900)
Serum Ferritin - 279.3 UG/L (Range 20-300)
Serum Folate - 21.2 UG/L (Range 4-24)
Alanine Aminotransferase - 313 - Range 30-65
Vitamin D - 27 nmol/L (Range 25-120)

I also at one point saw a Dr at one point who believed I had adrenal fatigue (and an endocrinologist thought I had adrenal insufficiency until my cortisol blood tests came back so high!) but when I took an adrenal supplement he recommended, Nutri Adrenal I believe it was, I became much worse. I felt very tight and tense, couldn't sleep at all and had a horribly racing mind and constant "singing in my head" where it was like I kept repeating songs or tunes in my mind. All that and basically no improvement in any other aspect of the illness, so I'm fairly sure it isn't an adrenal problem.

One last thing – I’ve noticed as I’ve become more aware and familiar with my symptoms that looking back over most of my life, there have been small events that lead me to believe that whatever this illness is it has been sort of within me or lying dormant for most of, if not all my life. Looking back from the age of 8 I can think of about 10 separate occasions where I became ill for a brief period that had exactly the same symptoms as I now have all the time. Also the fact that throughout my entire life I have been such a low weight (up to 20 years old I weighed no more than 8 stone/120lbs) and found it impossible to put any on. I personally now believe that whatever is the matter with me has been there for over 10 years and I could well believe it is something I was born with.

I can only apologise for the length of this and the amount of information included (and if any doesn’t make sense), it’s just that I’ve been ill for coming up to 7 years now and I'm still no closer to figuring out what's wrong with me. All the doctors I have seen are either uninterested or seem to have absolutely no idea and are not willing to really try anything, so I’m left to myself to try and figure it out. In 7 years there hasn't been a single suggestion or attempt to treat even part of what's going on.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts on any of this I would greatly appreciate them. I know some of my symptoms overlap into both hypo and hyperthroid but I haven't been able to figure out if it's either of them or something completely different. So any thoughts, it may seem like nothing but even the most random thought might give me something to go on or somewhere to start.

Also, I would have loved to have got in contact with Ray himself but haven't been able to find any contact form or email address anywhere. If someone knows of a way of getting this to him, or can pass it on, I would appreciate that immensely. I only ask because of the complex nature and the fact that no-one else has been able to suggest anything yet, I hoped

Thanks for reading!

Andy

marcar72

With the cyclical nature in regards to your symptoms as they happen daily and even yearly, I would dare to say that you are suffering from something environmental. That's to say something in your environment is causing your symptoms.

I just went through the same thing pretty much. I had this recurring ear infection that wouldn't go away. I had a few panic attacks and high anxiety all over the course of a few months this summer. It was cyclical, came and went.

It turns out the issue for me was that I was renting a room in a house with a very bad mold problem that's never been addressed. The cyclical nature of the symptoms is from the cyclical nature of coming and going to and from work. I would get away from the house for awhile and my symptoms would resolve. I would have a day off from work and hang out at the house a lot and guess what, the symptoms would return.

I would guess your symptoms get worse in the winter because you have your house or apartment all closed up to stay warm. This allows whatever environmental toxins are occuring to build up because of lack of fresh air.

I just got totally moved to a new apartment myself and it's too soon to tell for sure, but it seems I'm over all that sickness God willing. Part of it for me was I got a bit lazy with my nutrition for awhile there which I feel allowed the environmental toxin (mold) to torment me for awhile in the beginning. I too felt I would shake it and get better, even after the 3rd or 4th time.

Whatever it is, I hope you find out what ails you and you get better. Being chronically ill is almost worse that just dying maybe. I know how you feel so hang in there! :2cents

Mittir

I have only looked at test results. RP recommends total T3 and total T4 test.
All your thyroid numbers are within range. Your PTH is low but it can be lower.
Your vitamin D3 level looks quite low. You might want to increase your D3 level
by sunlight or supplements. Vitamin D plays a big role in immune system
and bone health. RP has mentioned vitamin D as "Structural antioxidant".

Your serum ferritin is high but saturation index is low. This usually indicates
that there is presence of inflammation.

High serum calcium usually mean low calcium intake and high PTH.
Your PTH is not that high. How is your dietary calcium intake?

High Liver enzyme ALT can mean non-alcoholic fatty liver, low metabolism
or other liver disease. Doctors usually recommend ultra sonogram of liver
to check for fatty liver.

High cortisol can indicate low blood sugar, low sugar metabolism etc.

Being thin you have an advantage of having low stored PUFA and it should be
easier for you to turn things around in a shorter period of time.

If you post a cronometer.com chart of your nutrient intake then it would
easier for people to comment on fixing the diet. Diet is the core of
RP's recommendations. You can check your pulse and temperature
( oral or ear drum) 1-2 hours after breakfast to get an idea about
your metabolic state.

Gut is the root cause of most health issues.

pboy

one day doctors will be as intelligent and concise with their questions as above ^^...and the advice they give. Awesome man

tara

Hi omrom,

I hope you can find some things on this forum that work for you to improve this, in addition to Mittir's great post above. Not sure how much you've read on so far. I've got more questions than answers, if you feel like responding:):

What have you tried so far to try to improve things?

When you say you have always been thin and not been able to put on weight, and have little appetite, I wonder whether this is primarily from under eating, and whether the resultant energy deficiency (and possibly deficiencies in a lot of specific nutrients) is the main source of many of your symptoms.
Do you want to tell what and how much you eat now, and maybe also for the period before these problems became severe and chronic?
If you have been chronically under-eating, then eating more may help. At least 80g protein, a lot of carbs - Peat favours ripe fruit and milk, but potatoes work well for some. If you haven't already, take a look at the thread on general diet guidelines to see some general recommendations. Then pick a few things to change at a time, and see what works for you. If you've been eating a long way under normal amounts, you may need to gradually increase. If under 1000kcal for a while, there are serious but treatable risks with refeeding, and they require knowledgable medical supervision. In addition to eating enough, the next two things I'd focus on would be limiting PUFAs as far as practical, and getting enough protein (~80-100g/day). For a young man in late teens to early twenties, 3500 kcal is pretty normal. Once mature, after about 25, less is usually needed, but it varies from person to person, and varies depending on how active, etc. If you have difficulty eating enough, what stops you?
Some non-Peat ideas on this are here: http://www.youreatopia.com/new and here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4028

If you get a lot of gas and bloating with food, that may mean you are eating something your guts are having trouble digesting efficiently. Can yo identify particular food s that cause more or less digestive distress? You can experiment with changing what you eat to see if it helps. Mittir has some good posts on this forum about foods that can be irritating. It's probably worth seeing if you can find foods you can digest more easily, as long as you can do that without reducing your food intake further. It can be a sign of low digestive function (eg. stomach acid not strong enough, weak peristalsis). Gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying) is a normal consequence of undereating, and sometimes improves with more calories/lower stress hormones/better CO2 retention.

Does food timing make a difference? Some of us find eating more in the morning (including a good amount of protein and carbohydrate) helps a lot with keeping afternoon energy up.

I also have to snack before sleep, and sometimes during the night, and have had periods of wide awake and sharp when I need to be sleeping, improved by food. Keep doing this as long as you need to. Low glycogen storage seems to be at play.

Cyproheptadine is known to increase appetite (as well as anti-histamine and anti-serotonin), and is sometimes used to treat anorexia. As drugs go, it seems to have a lot of positive side-effects and not a lot of negative ones. Haidut has some good posts on this drug.

Cold drinks are often more stressful than warm ones, so it doesn't surprise me that you get more of stress reaction to cold drinks. Too much fluids can dilute your system too much. Often only drinking to thirst works, but if that means drinking a huge quantity, you could try experimenting with overriding thirst and drinking less and/or drinking only small quantities at a time and/or only drinking with food for a short while to see if it helps.

Other measures may help, but they do depend on having a basis of adequate nutrition to work with. Anything that increases your metabolism generally requires more fuel and more of all the other nutrients, else they can cause more stress.

If winter makes it worse, and you are not getting sunlight, then adding red light may help. Red light (orange to near infrared) is necessary to restore the cytochrome oxidase enzyme, which is a key player in mitochondrial energy production. You can supplement this indoors with suitable lighting if you are not getting enough from sunlight. Too much blue - ultraviolet can be more of a burden on the system, although some UV helps us produce vitamin D. If you have not been out in the sun for a long time, you may have little tan to protect you from the damaging effects of UV. You could also be low in vit-D. For me, I feel great for sunshine, but if I get badly burned I can tell it sets me back the next day.
Keeping really warm in winter may help, too.

For me, along with improving nutrition, improving CO2 levels has helped. Keeping my mouth closed and retraining diaphragmatic breathing helped. I seldom wake with a pounding heart now.

I expect you'll get other thoughts from other people.

Good luck.

OP
O

omron

Thanks everyone for the replies, really appreciate it. Sorry for the slow reply too. I'll take each reply and answer them one by one.

Mittir said:
I have only looked at test results. RP recommends total T3 and total T4 test.
All your thyroid numbers are within range. Your PTH is low but it can be lower.
Your vitamin D3 level looks quite low. You might want to increase your D3 level
by sunlight or supplements. Vitamin D plays a big role in immune system
and bone health. RP has mentioned vitamin D as "Structural antioxidant".

Your serum ferritin is high but saturation index is low. This usually indicates
that there is presence of inflammation.

High serum calcium usually mean low calcium intake and high PTH.
Your PTH is not that high. How is your dietary calcium intake?

High Liver enzyme ALT can mean non-alcoholic fatty liver, low metabolism
or other liver disease. Doctors usually recommend ultra sonogram of liver
to check for fatty liver.

High cortisol can indicate low blood sugar, low sugar metabolism etc.

Being thin you have an advantage of having low stored PUFA and it should be
easier for you to turn things around in a shorter period of time.

If you post a cronometer.com chart of your nutrient intake then it would
easier for people to comment on fixing the diet. Diet is the core of
RP's recommendations. You can check your pulse and temperature
( oral or ear drum) 1-2 hours after breakfast to get an idea about
your metabolic state.

Gut is the root cause of most health issues.

Ferritin high and saturation low pointing to inflammation - definitely. Inflammation seems to have been consistent since day one with this.

My calcium intake I would say is fairly normal. I suppose I could up it but I wouldn't have thought it would be particularly low from my current diet.

When my ALT was picked up as being high I was instantly sent for a liver ultrasound. They found nothing and so nothing was done, and of course the ALT then came back down to normal.

The high cortisol is odd.. it's always raised in the blood, but when I have had a urine or saliva cortisol test done then it is either normal or low. I'm usually very stressed when going to any appointment or having blood taken so that could be increasing it.

My temperature on waking this morning was 36.0 C and pulse 72, and then 30 mins after breakfast temp was 35.9 C and pulse was 75. Should it be dropping, even slightly like that, after breakfast? I'll do it 1-2 hours after breakfast tomorrow if that's more accurate.

I'll also get a chart up from cronometer tomorrow.

tara said:
Hi omrom,

I hope you can find some things on this forum that work for you to improve this, in addition to Mittir's great post above. Not sure how much you've read on so far. I've got more questions than answers, if you feel like responding:):

What have you tried so far to try to improve things?

When you say you have always been thin and not been able to put on weight, and have little appetite, I wonder whether this is primarily from under eating, and whether the resultant energy deficiency (and possibly deficiencies in a lot of specific nutrients) is the main source of many of your symptoms.
Do you want to tell what and how much you eat now, and maybe also for the period before these problems became severe and chronic?
If you have been chronically under-eating, then eating more may help. At least 80g protein, a lot of carbs - Peat favours ripe fruit and milk, but potatoes work well for some. If you haven't already, take a look at the thread on general diet guidelines to see some general recommendations. Then pick a few things to change at a time, and see what works for you. If you've been eating a long way under normal amounts, you may need to gradually increase. If under 1000kcal for a while, there are serious but treatable risks with refeeding, and they require knowledgable medical supervision. In addition to eating enough, the next two things I'd focus on would be limiting PUFAs as far as practical, and getting enough protein (~80-100g/day). For a young man in late teens to early twenties, 3500 kcal is pretty normal. Once mature, after about 25, less is usually needed, but it varies from person to person, and varies depending on how active, etc. If you have difficulty eating enough, what stops you?
Some non-Peat ideas on this are here:

If you get a lot of gas and bloating with food, that may mean you are eating something your guts are having trouble digesting efficiently. Can yo identify particular food s that cause more or less digestive distress? You can experiment with changing what you eat to see if it helps. Mittir has some good posts on this forum about foods that can be irritating. It's probably worth seeing if you can find foods you can digest more easily, as long as you can do that without reducing your food intake further. It can be a sign of low digestive function (eg. stomach acid not strong enough, weak peristalsis). Gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying) is a normal consequence of undereating, and sometimes improves with more calories/lower stress hormones/better CO2 retention.

Does food timing make a difference? Some of us find eating more in the morning (including a good amount of protein and carbohydrate) helps a lot with keeping afternoon energy up.

I also have to snack before sleep, and sometimes during the night, and have had periods of wide awake and sharp when I need to be sleeping, improved by food. Keep doing this as long as you need to. Low glycogen storage seems to be at play.

Cyproheptadine is known to increase appetite (as well as anti-histamine and anti-serotonin), and is sometimes used to treat anorexia. As drugs go, it seems to have a lot of positive side-effects and not a lot of negative ones. Haidut has some good posts on this drug.

Cold drinks are often more stressful than warm ones, so it doesn't surprise me that you get more of stress reaction to cold drinks. Too much fluids can dilute your system too much. Often only drinking to thirst works, but if that means drinking a huge quantity, you could try experimenting with overriding thirst and drinking less and/or drinking only small quantities at a time and/or only drinking with food for a short while to see if it helps.

Other measures may help, but they do depend on having a basis of adequate nutrition to work with. Anything that increases your metabolism generally requires more fuel and more of all the other nutrients, else they can cause more stress.

If winter makes it worse, and you are not getting sunlight, then adding red light may help. Red light (orange to near infrared) is necessary to restore the cytochrome oxidase enzyme, which is a key player in mitochondrial energy production. You can supplement this indoors with suitable lighting if you are not getting enough from sunlight. Too much blue - ultraviolet can be more of a burden on the system, although some UV helps us produce vitamin D. If you have not been out in the sun for a long time, you may have little tan to protect you from the damaging effects of UV. You could also be low in vit-D. For me, I feel great for sunshine, but if I get badly burned I can tell it sets me back the next day.
Keeping really warm in winter may help, too.

For me, along with improving nutrition, improving CO2 levels has helped. Keeping my mouth closed and retraining diaphragmatic breathing helped. I seldom wake with a pounding heart now.

I expect you'll get other thoughts from other people.

Good luck.

I haven't tired an awful lot if truth be told. I've been seeing every different type of doctor under the sun over the last 7 years in the hope of them figuring it out or at least offering me some form of help/treatment and yet they've done nothing.

I can say with almost total assurance that the problem isn't coming from under eating. Whilst I was always very thin, and found it impossible to put on any weight, I was still eating enough in terms of calories. And since being ill I've been eating more, even with a lack of appetite. The illness got so bad at one point with really severe fevers that I couldn't eat and my weight go really, worryingly low, so I'm now terrified of my weight dropping and eat substantial amounts. But really eating has never been a problem, it's just with the onset of this illness I've had to, or least have, pushed myself to eat when I haven't wanted to. Whether that's the right thing to do or not I don't know.

I get a lot of gas/bloating with everything I eat. I'm constantly, 24 hours a day bloated. I also seems to get worse after I go to the toilet. But really, if I eat I'm bloated and if I don't eat I'm bloated.

I haven't noticed a difference with times of day. As I said, I get a "slump" every day during the afternoon but that seems to be unaffected by food or eating.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has to eat to get to sleep/back to sleep. Is there anything I should/shouldn't be eating when it comes to this?

The drinking is a tricky one, as because my digestion is so poor and body's reaction to fluid so odd I'm already not drinking enough, so I'm wary of drinking any less. If I'm honest I don't get that thirsty really, which is strange seeing as I doubt I'm drinking as much as I should be. What with that and my lack of appetite it's as if my stomach has been switched off. I just get nothing from it really.

It's interesting you mention bluelight or ultraviolet as being an issue. As I wasn't able to go outside I tried using a SAD lamp to compensate for the lack of sunlight, but just being in front of that for 45 mins on 2 separate days gave me a fever and made me feel awful. My body really hates light, or possibly bluelight more specifically.

I hope I've covered everything that said or asked. If I missed anything or if anyone has anymore questions/comments please ask! I'll make sure I get back to everyone who responds, and I really do appreciate it.

Amazoniac

Hello, hoq have you been?

I can be wrong but the root cause seems gastrointestinal issues.

Low levels of Vit. D can supress immunity, as a consequence (along with others environmental stressors) changes in the composition of your gut microbiota. The skin manifests that imbalance very well.

Your nourishing state can be compromised due to the dysbiosis to favour them. So you can be eating everything you need, but not being able to assimilate, almost competing for the nutrients. Fasting may improve the situation but it doesn't solve the problem since the body has a layer covering the intestines designed to feed the microbes even during scarcity.

Mood cannot be optimal if dysbiosis is present.

A lot of fermentation in the gut supplies a lot of energy as a by-product, like short chain fatty acids. Can be the reason of your satiation for ling periods.

Stress can shape negatively your microbiota in a short period of time.

Sweating can be due to the hyper activation of your immune system trying to restore balance in your intestine. Also, short chain fatty acids provide a lot of energy, increasing metabolism and making you sweat to mantain normal temp ranges.

All of this generates a lot of stress and can be messing with your hormones and as a consequence your sleep.
Sharp reflexes are a good marker of health but only if not caused by being in an over alert state all the time.

Skin sebum quality depends on many factors, one of them is lipid profile that is shaped by diet and composition of microbiota, that will determine what enters your body and what stays there.

Sex drive is tied to that generation of energy, sending the message to your brain that fertility doesn't need to be supressed.

The only test that I know by being more reliable is GI Effects by Metametrix. Consider it and ask your doctor..
Hope one day you laugh at this all!
If I remember something I will add..

tara

omron said:
This would be interesting.

Suikerbuik

Hi Andy, it's strange that doctors call you a mistery, on otherhand it is not, they did to me too... I've been in the same boat, high ferritin, low vitamin D, bloating, over the reference ALT, over reacting immune system, etc. After 7 years of intensive reading I can tell you that everything that happens in your body makes perfect sense. All the info you need to connect the dots is somewhere.

I know you aren't helped by this answer, but I hope this gives you hope and power to keep looking for YOUR answers. Quote from Peat;
"Ideally, things should make no sense until they make the right sense".
There is some decent information being given already, I don't agree with all, but it's definitely good to start from here.

Dutchie

Hi Andy,

Have you been properly tested for Lyme Disease? (preferrably several independant tests).
The sudden onset of symptoms and especially the cyclical pattern sound very familiar to me.(but ofcourse I can be totally wrong).
I know Lyme/the Borrelia bacteria are at it's peak activity around October and May.

Suikerbuik

Hey Dutchie, he says he has been tested for borrelia antibodies.. I would be more interest whether he has had Epstein Barr virus for what's worth it.

I mean for what's worth it, because both are just single parts of the immensely complex microbiome. My opinion is that one only gets lyme if one has a somehow compromised health already. Usually the body deals very well with spirochetes - the group Borrelia belongs to.

OP
O

omron

Thanks again everyone for the replies! Sorry for the slow response.

tara said:
omron said:
This would be interesting.

I hadn't used Cronometer before and being from the UK it doesn't seem to have a lot of the products we have here, and that I eat. Also, some of the food I was adding seemed not to have any nutritional figures at all, and in some cases that was my main meal, so a big portion of my calories, protein etc. wasn't being added. Anyway, it meant that I wasn't getting a full picture. I'll continue to fiddle and see if I can work it out, or whether I can input the details manually myself. I'm definitely going to try and get a chart up for you, and I appreciate the desire to see it and help.

Suikerbuik said:
Hi Andy, it's strange that doctors call you a mistery, on otherhand it is not, they did to me too... I've been in the same boat, high ferritin, low vitamin D, bloating, over the reference ALT, over reacting immune system, etc. After 7 years of intensive reading I can tell you that everything that happens in your body makes perfect sense. All the info you need to connect the dots is somewhere.

I know you aren't helped by this answer, but I hope this gives you hope and power to keep looking for YOUR answers. Quote from Peat;
"Ideally, things should make no sense until they make the right sense".
There is some decent information being given already, I don't agree with all, but it's definitely good to start from here.

As you've had very similar symptoms to me, have you managed to get a diagnosis or anywhere closer to figuring out what is going on?

Dutchie said:
Hi Andy,

Have you been properly tested for Lyme Disease? (preferrably several independant tests).
The sudden onset of symptoms and especially the cyclical pattern sound very familiar to me.(but ofcourse I can be totally wrong).
I know Lyme/the Borrelia bacteria are at it's peak activity around October and May.

Suikerbuik said:
Hey Dutchie, he says he has been tested for borrelia antibodies.. I would be more interest whether he has had Epstein Barr virus for what's worth it.

I mean for what's worth it, because both are just single parts of the immensely complex microbiome. My opinion is that one only gets lyme if one has a somehow compromised health already. Usually the body deals very well with spirochetes - the group Borrelia belongs to.

I have been tested for Lyme, and Epstein Barr as well. Both were negative. I have read that the Lyme test can give false positive/negatives though.. not sure if that is the case, but something I've kept in mind, just in case.

Thanks again everyone for the help! Really appreciate it.

mujuro

The cyclical fashion really stands out for me. It's almost a circadian/autonomic dependent pathology. The mood disorders, including schizophrenia, demonstrate a profound disruption in circadian rhythmicity and a dysregulation of the HPA axis. It's like you're body is following the normal ultradian rhythm, but far more exaggerated in sensitivity.

A few Google Scholar hits:

Adrenal peripheral clock controls the autonomous circadian rhythm of glucocorticoid by causing rhythmic steroid production http://www.pnas.org/content/105/52/20970.full

Circadian Rhythms of Epinephrine and Norepinephrine in Man
http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jcem-60-6-1210

Interindividual differences in circadian patterns of catecholamine excretion, body temperature, performance, and subjective arousalhttp://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0301051176900193 -> adrenaline and noradrenaline excretion was highest close to noon

Just trying to contribute to the brainstorm. Can I ask why you haven't tested for sex steroids and alike? (e.g. SHBG, DHEA, 17OH-P, T, E2)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals