Debilitating Adrenaline Response To Stress

I'm not sure I would consider milk a high tryptophan source.

Green

I don't know the content amount. I'm aware of the tryptophan content and conversion of it to niacin.

Such_Saturation said:
The "IBS" memories I have I now use as a way to date the worst periods of hypothyroidism and vitamin deficiency of my past. You know, I remember coffee and milk used to be the best triggers and ironically having made them the largest part of the diet has banished that illness from my days.

I think it is best for you to discard all the bile on that part of the cycle using the charcoal, and use some parmisan to make a fresh batch. Coffee (at least a spoonful of sugar per serving) with some cascara will prevent "IBS" attacks but will feel too harsh during or in the days after an attack. Serotonin blockers and gelatin are crucial in these stages!

As you may know, I'm in that GI distress phase. Seemingly, you're past that. Did you use serotonin blockers and gelatin in combat? I was thinking they could be used effectively. Milk and coffee being triggers, you kept them in your diet?

Green said:
As you may know, I'm in that GI distress phase. Seemingly, you're past that. Did you use serotonin blockers and gelatin in combat? I was thinking they could be used effectively. Milk and coffee being triggers, you kept them in your diet?

I think the gelatin is great but it must be well melted into the liquid before you drink it. Milk is a trigger if you aren't used to it but then again it could also turn your health around if you stick with it. Coffee is a trigger for its polyphenols I think, and of course the stimulation which shouldn't be too crazy unless you get that adrenaline spike.

Stilgar

Wanted to chime in because these stress-induced adrenaline issues definitely still bug me from time to time.

The other day I had my driving test. Thought I was calm-ish but was thinking about it a lot. Was almost waiting for a restless sleep. Had salty potatoes for dinner and coconut oil, but my body FREAKED OUT and reacted horribly to the stress. Tossed all night, had heart racing, strange head rush sensations when lying down (I hate this most), slight chest pressure, anxiety, racing thoughts etc. Tried various snacks through the night - very salty water, more coconut oil, orange juice, more potatoes. Nothing worked and I was awake until the next morning. I was a zombie. The stress got me through, I failed my test but my driving was pretty good given the circumstances. Had a combination of taurine, a sugary vitamin drink, some coffee (not too much because I didn't want to be shaky), a tbsp of coconut oil, piracetam, aspirin and thyroid for breakfast and was crazily focused for the two hours I needed to be. Crashed after but just napped and the adrenaline problem went away.

I don't usually take thyroid because I could never get past the adrenaline surges it would give me. It went on for months and was agonising. It was the same sensations as I get with a stressful event like this- horrible rushing sensations and everything racing. Luckily I do ok without it and just use thyroid now when I need a boost or get in a funk.

It is an enigma, but more food early on in the day, not squeezing all my protein in late at night to avoid blood sugar lows, and lots of salt and sugar go a long way to stopping the issue most of the time.

And I think I might stock my cabinet with benadryl, glycine and strong sleeping aids for next time it happens. It is nice to hear that others get this too.

Peata

A few different incidents gave me this big adrenaline pumping for the last couple days. It's been tiring and annoying. I'm doing better now. Trying to change mental perspective and cut off the anxious thoughts helps, but when the adrenaline is going it's hard to just shut it down.

I find some relief in these things, but not sure which are more powerful for acute symptoms: ice cream, progesterone, aspirin, niacinamide, theanine, antihistamine.

keith

A few different incidents gave me this big adrenaline pumping for the last couple days. It's been tiring and annoying. I'm doing better now. Trying to change mental perspective and cut off the anxious thoughts helps, but when the adrenaline is going it's hard to just shut it down.

I find some relief in these things, but not sure which are more powerful for acute symptoms: ice cream, progesterone, aspirin, niacinamide, theanine, antihistamine.

I'm not sure how well it works for acute symptoms, but I have had a lot of success using pregnenolone for anxiety, which seems to be my reaction to adrenaline. It seems to keep me feeling more balanced with stress not leaving me with the rapid heartbeat, sick, sort of nauseous, weak, shaky feeling I used to get when stressed. I take rather large amounts (75-100mg) twice a day, but am a large man. I actually noticed the results from taking 100mg once a day, though, and may back off some. I just noticed for a while that taking some before bed too, seemed to help with staying asleep through the night, but no longer noticing that, so no need to continue with larger amounts, apparently. Less would probably work for most in any event, but Ray Peat has written that it is pretty safe even in large amounts, and mentioned experimenting with it it in gram doses somewhere. I think someone posted recently that Ray Peat suggested taking 300 mg once per week, although I'm just repeating what someone else wrote with no direct knowledge. It might be worth giving a try if you haven't already.

I can't think of anything you don't have listed above for immediate relief, other than sleep, but that requires time, and isn't always possible when stress strikes. If you can get it, though, I think sleep can be very beneficial for stress, as long as you aren't relying on it as an escape to avoid dealing with things that need attention.

Peata

I'm not sure how well it works for acute symptoms, but I have had a lot of success using pregnenolone for anxiety, which seems to be my reaction to adrenaline. It seems to keep me feeling more balanced with stress not leaving me with the rapid heartbeat, sick, sort of nauseous, weak, shaky feeling I used to get when stressed. I take rather large amounts (75-100mg) twice a day, but am a large man. I actually noticed the results from taking 100mg once a day, though, and may back off some. I just noticed for a while that taking some before bed too, seemed to help with staying asleep through the night, but no longer noticing that, so no need to continue with larger amounts, apparently. Less would probably work for most in any event, but Ray Peat has written that it is pretty safe even in large amounts, and mentioned experimenting with it it in gram doses somewhere. I think someone posted recently that Ray Peat suggested taking 300 mg once per week, although I'm just repeating what someone else wrote with no direct knowledge. It might be worth giving a try if you haven't already.

I can't think of anything you don't have listed above for immediate relief, other than sleep, but that requires time, and isn't always possible when stress strikes. If you can get it, though, I think sleep can be very beneficial for stress, as long as you aren't relying on it as an escape to avoid dealing with things that need attention.

Thanks for the reply. I have been sleeping well. Somehow I can shut my thoughts off in bed (as long as blood sugar is stable) and drift in a sort of fantasy world /alpha state until I fall asleep.

I tried some pregnenolone but I wasn't taking enough I don't think. I was taking 40 mg. I should just go ahead and try 100 mg since that seems to be the amount at least a couple people report feeling better with. I confess I'm still not sure how much and how often to take it. I've been using it 3 weeks on and 1 week off. Guess I'll have to experiment some more.

keith

Thanks for the reply. I have been sleeping well. Somehow I can shut my thoughts off in bed (as long as blood sugar is stable) and drift in a sort of fantasy world /alpha state until I fall asleep.

I tried some pregnenolone but I wasn't taking enough I don't think. I was taking 40 mg. I should just go ahead and try 100 mg since that seems to be the amount at least a couple people report feeling better with. I confess I'm still not sure how much and how often to take it. I've been using it 3 weeks on and 1 week off. Guess I'll have to experiment some more.

I've been taking loads of it for a long time with no side effects to report (at least 100 mg daily for at least 2 years), if that makes you feel better about safety. Anecdotal and a study of 1 subject, I know, but personally I haven't had any concerns with it. The only reason I'm thinking of cutting back is that I'm not seeing any additional benefit to taking more, and would prefer to spend less on supplements. :D I have the powder form, and weigh it on a milligram scale, and have often taken doses higher than 100 mg, just because I put too much on and am too lazy to tkae the time to get the measurement exactly right. I'm not adverse to taking 115 mg doses +/-, and have probably done so twice in the same day on occasion. Then again, I'm an over-supplementer in general, so I don't recommend following my advice, particularly where your common sense suggests otherwise. :rolleyes:

OP
mmartian

mmartian

Keith, what positives have you noticed with preg supplementation? Has it worked for anxiety/sleep?

docall18

Vitamin B6 May Be Anti-Adrenaline, And Thus Anti-Stress

Vitamin B6 (P5P) is a glucocorticoid (cortisol) antagonist

Vitamin B6 deficiency promotes PUFA accumulation in tissues

PUFA deficiency is actually a symptom of vitamin B6 deficiency

I find P5P b6 excellent for adrenaline. Taking 5mg a few times during day & at bedtime keeps adrenaline suppressed and avoids any rebound adrenaline.

Things like preg etc work for a short while but eventually make things worse IMO.

Also, if you are restricting PUFA you most likely need extra B6.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals