Starch - The Delicious Devil

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“If you take orange juice with some fat it will be more stabilizing to your blood sugar than the grits and potatoes. Starches increase the stress hormones, interfering with progesterone and thyroid."-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"A diet that provides enough calcium to limit activity of the parathyroid glands, and that is low in phosphate and polyunsaturated fats, with sugar rather than starch as the main carbohydrate, possibly supplemented by niacinamide and aspirin, should help to avoid some of the degenerative processes associated with high phosphate: fatigue, heart failure, movement discoordination, hypogonadism, infertility, vascular calcification, emphysema, cancer, osteoporosis, and atrophy of skin, skeletal muscle, intestine, thymus, and spleen (Ohnishi and Razzaque, 2010; Shiraki-Iida, et al., 2000; Kuro-o, et al., 1997; Osuka and Razzaque, 2012). The foods naturally highest in phosphate, relative to calcium, are cereals, legumes, meats, and fish. Many prepared foods contain added phosphate." -Ray Peat

Tenacity

If anyone can tell me how to consume 70% carbs on a 3500 calorie diet without starch, without white sugar/honey and without pissing myself, that would be much appreciated, thanks.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
If anyone can tell me how to consume 70% carbs on a 3500 calorie diet without starch, without white sugar/honey and without pissing myself, that would be much appreciated, thanks.
Ha! Ha! Nobody said it was gonna be convenient. I find you gotta make food to have for days. Milk or gelatin based soups are easy get a bunch. Here are some of my other starch free meals...

Attachments

• 20210430_172546.jpg
    20210430_172546.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210309_195357.jpg
    20210309_195357.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201207_214304.jpg
    20201207_214304.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210218_171916.jpg
    20210218_171916.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210221_181354.jpg
    20210221_181354.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210128_193002.jpg
    20210128_193002.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210130_141858.jpg
    20210130_141858.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210204_125409.jpg
    20210204_125409.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201214_180015.jpg
    20201214_180015.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 31
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I make one meal a day and fill in with leftovers, milk, mozzarella, cold salted gelatinous broth, boiled eggs, fruit, honey, custard and my no cream ice cream...

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I posted lots more starch free meal ideas on pages 3, 4 & 10 :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"An older experiment compared two groups with an otherwise well balanced diet, lacking vitamin D, containing either 68% starch or 68% sucrose. A third group got the starch diet, but with added vitamin D. The rats on the vitamin D deficient starch diet had very low levels of calcium in their blood, and the calcium content of their bones was low, exactly what is expected with the vitamin D deficiency. However, the rats on the sucrose diet, also vitamin D deficient, had normal levels of calcium in their blood. The sucrose, unlike the starch, maintained claim homeostasis. A radioactive calcium tracer showed normal uptake by the bone, and also apparently normal bone development, although their bones were lighter than those receiving vitamin D."

Jerkboy

I have tried no starch out for a short period after reading this. It has benefits. I still like my rice. I do not know what it is that I like about it. It fills me up more than fruit. Fruit can give good energy and strength but no stability. I think if you are active you can eat starch. If you are sedentary perhaps it is better to eat fruits only. I eat both now.

It kind of gave me an empty feeling. Like my body never relaxed. Maybe it is the insulin that starch produces which relaxes the body. Or something else. I always eat starch with gound beef so it is covered in saturated fats (and arachidonic acid which Ray Peat is against but good for muscle gains).

I also only crave starch and fatty red meat if I workout hard. I have become quite good at listening to my body. It is still tricky sometimes and it takes some time to get it right. But once you got it right it is better than following any diet in my opinion. You will know exactly what food you want in the right quantities.

Food looks great by the way. I could do without starch like that.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have tried no starch out for a short period after reading this. It has benefits. I still like my rice. I do not know what it is that I like about it. It fills me up more than fruit. Fruit can give good energy and strength but no stability. I think if you are active you can eat starch. If you are sedentary perhaps it is better to eat fruits only. I eat both now.

It kind of gave me an empty feeling. Like my body never relaxed. Maybe it is the insulin that starch produces which relaxes the body. Or something else. I always eat starch with gound beef so it is covered in saturated fats (and arachidonic acid which Ray Peat is against but good for muscle gains).

I also only crave starch and fatty red meat if I workout hard. I have become quite good at listening to my body. It is still tricky sometimes and it takes some time to get it right. But once you got it right it is better than following any diet in my opinion. You will know exactly what food you want in the right quantities.

Food looks great by the way. I could do without starch like that.
Ha! Ha! Thanks Jerkboy! I hear you. For losing weight it is a bit hard to go starch free AND lowfat at the same time. It is a balancing act not thinking about eating all the time to stay satiated. That is why I choose to have more fat instead of starch, I figure at least that route keeps skin supple and the teeth healthy. It certainly is more convenient choosing the starch path. I like that empty feeling. It feels light on my feet rather than the "hangry" and headaches that my starch laden diet use to give me if I was too far away from a meal.

Steve

I'm trying no starch too, or actually it's becoming mostly no starch.
My stomach has been better...not such a bloated feeling that I was getting from starch.
I've also lost a little weight...not sure if it's fat or water, but I weigh a bit less and my waist went down an inch or so.
It could also be due to eating less since I find it hard to figure out this no starch diet.

I need a go-to easy carb to eat with my proteins.
I always found it so easy to have a side of steamed rice, but now I never know what to eat that's as easy to cook and store.
I could eat chicken teriyaki with rice, or curry with meat and rice just about every day.
Now I'm lost! :(

Vileplume

My stomach has been better...not such a bloated feeling that I was getting from starch.
I've also lost a little weight...not sure if it's fat or water, but I weigh a bit less and my waist went down an inch or so.
It could also be due to eating less since I find it hard to figure out this no starch diet.

I always found it so easy to have a side of steamed rice, but now I never know what to eat that's as easy to cook and store.
I could eat chicken teriyaki with rice, or curry with meat and rice just about every day.
I’m with you Steve! Rinse will be a great person to help brainstorm for this, she always has good ideas.

I’ve struggled to get enough salt without starch. My digestion gets better when I eat fruit instead of starch, but I find it so hard to get enough salt, especially with all the milk I’ve been drinking.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

You gotta make some of the protein meals I posted on my Peaty Proteins thread. They are all my quick ones. I double up on the recipes and eat leftovers. I am stuck on pork rinds right now. I oil a bowl with a little refined coconut oil thrown into a handful of the Epic pork rinds top with cheddar or Jack and pop it in microwave for a minute and half. I dumped a ton of really great verde sauce on it and was making all kinds of noises eating it! Just little bowl had 11 grams of protein in the rinds and another 14 in the cheese! So good!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I’m with you Steve! Rinse will be a great person to help brainstorm for this, she always has good ideas.

I’ve struggled to get enough salt without starch. My digestion gets better when I eat fruit instead of starch, but I find it so hard to get enough salt, especially with all the milk I’ve been drinking.
You are the nicest person Vileplume! I love when show up in a thread :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I feel like lots of milk makes me lots of hungry. It really needs something to go with it. Lately I have been doing a cup of nonfat with one almost hardboiled egg yolk and have a spoonful of honey before it and I feel pretty satisfied and light on my feet for a long time. Sometimes I will add a half cup of raw whole milk to the nonfat.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Have you guys checked out my easy step by step protein recipe thread yet?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals