Sprinting Is Changing My Body Composition Very Quickly

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date

Wagner83

The last time I did sprints regularly I was told I looked taller, pretty quickly too.

Collden

OP may be past the risk at this stage, but for other readers, think about warming up. I damaged achilles tendons trying short sprints a while ago, and I know I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to do so. They take a long time to heal.
Same happened to me.

Maybe stationary bike sprints work as well though? I remember doing those a few years ago and getting lean without dieting.

Constatine

Reduced food cravings are not necessarily bad. I think Ray talks about light exposure reducing food cravings as well. Sprints are pretty awesome IMO.

Tarmander

So do you believe past a certain age interval training ceases to be beneficial?
You definitely have to be more careful as Tara alluded to above. Generally the younger you are, the more you can get away with. I could sprint, but any bad form would have much larger consequences then when I ran ten years ago.

Wagner83

You definitely have to be more careful as Tara alluded to above. Generally the younger you are, the more you can get away with. I could sprint, but any bad form would have much larger consequences then when I ran ten years ago.
Maybe the surface, shoes and warm up matter too. You could try to ease into the sprint, pick the speed, reach full speed for a bit and then decelerate. Just a suggestion though, different physical conditions for all. I think the brutality of the start and the finish are major issues.

YourUniverse

Warmups with dynamic stretches like ankle rolls, hip swings and walking lunges, + limiting breathing to that of nasal ONLY (buteyko method), + only doing a few of them, and not for very long like @Amarsh213 noted, can be a suitable template for all. Adding more Peat-ful wisdom, sprinting up a hill may even be better. I think intensity is more important than repetition or length of time.

How often you do them may depend on age, older & less healthy people will take longer to recover from exercise; overweight people probably cant take the pounding on the knees either

Collden

No arguing that, however there are ways of doing HIIT, like stationary bike, that minimises the risk of injury, unless you overdo it to a stupid degree.

The question is, past the risk of acute injury, when does the exertion itself become detrimental rather than beneficial, and does that change with age? I'd assume that as long as you maintain the feeling of exhilaration and fun and not let the session become a gruelling chore after which you feel like throwing up, you should be fine.

YourUniverse

No arguing that, however there are ways of doing HIIT, like stationary bike, that minimises the risk of injury, unless you overdo it to a stupid degree.

The question is, past the risk of acute injury, when does the exertion itself become detrimental rather than beneficial, and does that change with age? I'd assume that as long as you maintain the feeling of exhilaration and fun and not let the session become a gruelling chore after which you feel like throwing up, you should be fine.
Peat warns against excessive exercise bc it produces lactate, especially when done to exhaustion, when coupled with eccentric resistance, and when coupled with hyperventilation

Tarmander

Aging and structural integrity degeneration are...basically synonymous. An older muscle will have far less glycogen and strength, which means that something like sprinting, as you get older, will be more and more stressful. Tough to say when that is for different people. I was always into endurance sports when I was young, so I don’t have the structural integrity that some have who built that with sprints or something similar.

At 21, your structure can take quite a bit of punishment before glycogen runs out and stress/degeneration occurs. Peat’s stance has been that sprinting is probably okay as long as it is glycogen fueled.

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Maybe stationary bike sprints work as well though? I remember doing those a few years ago and getting lean without dieting.[/QUOTE]
Reduced food cravings are not necessarily bad. I think Ray talks about light exposure reducing food cravings as well. Sprints are pretty awesome IMO.

They are particularly how they change body composition and rearrange things. But I may be over doing it, as sleep is suffering so is appetite. Like going to bed at 3am and getting up at 11, at university. Ideally be in bed at 12 and wake at 8. Something is just wrong with my appetite.

Gonna cut sprints down to 2x a week. The only thing is I look Great and maintained weight but just cut a ton off my stomach.

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Those suffering from injurys or scared to have one. Should start with some light calve work for a few weeks. Then progress into 50% sprints, then 70%, then stop at 90% effort. After a few weeks at each.

Jumping into a 100 meter dash after being sedentary is a good way to snap an Achilles which I cannot even comprehend the feeling. The ligaments and muscle are going to atrophy at rest to a state that is equal to the stress you put on them...Ie Walking/sitting.

tara

I think the brutality of the start and finish are major issues.
+1
Something to warm up the muscles before hand could make them less vulnerable. Especially for those of us who have the classic hypothyroid symptoms of slow achilles tendon reflex - reduced ability to relax muscles quickly and fully after/between exertion.
I know half a dozen people who have spent weeks or months hobbling round in the their forties not because they were doing deliberate HIIT, but because they just made a sudden move that they weren't warmed up for. Torn achilles tendon or calf muscle.

Elie

Forum Supporter
I have incorporated sprints 35 yards 3-4 of them every other day. It is suppose to tank cortisol after a study I read

Eight Reasons Everyone Should Do Sprints | Poliquin Article

My body is getting leaner, more adrogenic particularly the face.

However I find it hard to eat, even repulsive right now. I don't know if the increased insulin sensitivity means my cells are actually using what I eat. But water weight is down, so is edema.

Anyone know whats going on?
A couple of questions if you don't mind , Just to clarify, I am assuming you are male? if so how old and how long did it take you to notice these changes? Just so I know what to expect if that's ok,

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

A couple of questions if you don't mind , Just to clarify, I am assuming you are male? if so how old and how long did it take you to notice these changes? Just so I know what to expect if that's ok,

23 year old male.

The changes are very quickly. I have come across numerous studies showing

1) sprints are 10-15 times more efficent than jogging, for fat loss

2) There is a large increase Post Excersice Oxygen Consumption, which eats up calories like nothing else for hours after.

3) While initally increasing Cortisol during/slightly after, it lowers baseline cortisol.

4) Increase glycogen/ insulin sensitivity, probably through lowering cortisol.

5) Sprints also activate the Glutes(since walking/jogging doesn't), and put considerable stress on the Core muscles to keep the body balanced with the rotation of the shoulders. So localized fat loss in the core, while also building the glutes.

Essentially it's the hardest exercise to do, while having the highest rewards.

If u can motivate yourself you will see fat distribution in your face/neck within the first week, assuming your relatively young/male, but I am sure the benefits are universal regardless of age/gender.

. It's essential to have large glucose loads after(potatos), as well as gelatin Fructose as well., Just some fruit/milk after will not be enough and you may feel like you got hit by a truck the next day. plenty of rest between 2-3 days.

A few sprints depletes glycogen quicker than 45min jogs.

michael94

The German word for "running very fast" is RENNEN ... related to the REN in RENal and Rhenium/The Rhine River...and also the old norse/swedish/norwegian hreinn ( like Rain/Reign ) which means clean/pure... REN cuts a new path or channel like a fresh stream would do working its way down a mountain. This is the meaning of Running and the Runes.

NEN is the life force or energy behind all actions, although the etymology on that one is less obvious... I wont get into that for now

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals