My Blog About The B-Vitamins

Sam Suska

Forum Supporter
Hi all,

I am writing a short blog about the importance and usefulness of the B-vitamins. I am relaying it as my own story. I am in training for a professional boxing match, and I'm going to use that forum as a way to share my Peat-inspired ideas with people through my blog and in conversation. In my blog I will explain that I avoid polyunsaturated fat and keep my carbs high because those things reduce stress on the body, and allow the body to restore itself as needed and function as intended (efficient metabolism)

On a daily I take B1 500mg, B 100mg, Niacinamide 500mg 2x, B6 50mg, Biotin 600mcg. I also eat 3-4 whole eggs most days for their B12 as well as their choline and selenium, which seem to have a very positive influence on the way the body uses the other B-vitamins. Also, I eat more than 2,000 calories most days with a very Peat-influenced approach, which I will touch on in my blog. Here is part of what I got for my blog:

I take each of these supplements almost every day:
  • Vitamin B1 or Thiamine- B1 supports mitochondrial function of the cell, increases levels of CO2 in the body- which ultimately leads to a better oxidative status and more efficient metabolism. 500mg Allithiamine/day.
  • Vitamin B2 or Riboflavin- It supports efficient mitochondrial function in the cell, which is obviously one of the best things you can do for your metabolism. B2 also inhibits the systemic effects of endotoxin, which is the toxic byproduct of bacteria that live in our body.
  • Niacinamide is a form of Vitamin B3- it has anti-cortisol and anti-estrogen properties in the body; both very beneficial when it comes to lowering the stress on your body. Niacinamide also decreases the amount of free fatty acids circulating in the blood, which leads the cells to use glucose as fuel; it might not necessarily directly support fat loss, but it undoubtedly has pro-metabolism capabilities.
  • Vitamin B6 or Pyridoxine- B6 seems to have many anti-stress effects in the body as it lowers the level of prolactin, which is hormone clearly linked to stress. B6 seems to have both antioxidant effects and is anti-adrenalin and anti-glucocorticoid, both of which indicate stress in the body.
  • Biotin or Vitamin B7- crucial for efficient carbohydrate metabolism as it's plays an important role in both glycogen synthesis and sensitivity to insulin. Biotin can prevent or decrease gluconeogenesis, which is the breakdown of proteins to produce glucose typically involving the 'stress hormone' cortisol. Biotin can also lower the free fatty acids circulating in the blood, as well as the amount of triglycerides in the blood, which indicates increased that they have been oxidized or glucuronidated and then excreted. Put another way, Biotin is anti-stress.
I would like to know if you can give me some more information, or links to others threads which might give me more information on each of the B-vitamins. Hey, should I revise my approach? Do I have something not right?? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, my website is samsuska.com and I am about 8 months into a heavily Ray Peat inspired approach, and I couldn't be happier.

Thank you,

Sam Suska

paymanz

b6 also helps body to create taurine,beta alanine-carnosine , creatine- and helps to get ride of excess methionine .

i think add some b5 to them.

johnwester130

They are the most important b vitamins.

all others are highly suspect, especially PABA,
b5, b9, b12 , choline and inositol may have a use

Travis

I just had a thought about B₁₂. It is well-known that vitamin B₁₂ producing bacteria have been isolated from the human colon, and the "consensus" is that we cannot absorb this without intrinsic factor.

But I find it hard to believe that we cannot absorb a 1.36 kilodalton molecule (B₁₂) without the help of the 45 kilodalton intrinsic factor. It's like they're saying: "Vitamin B₁₂ cannot be absorbed unless it is conjugated to a molecule 33 times heavier."

Last edited:

paymanz

If humans cannot make enough b12 it is also because our elemental cobalt intake is low.

Even cows with huge bacterial load in their system become b12 deficient if their soil is low cobalt.

Another reason might be that most of these fermentation that make b12 happens in lower parts of digestive system , so lower chance of absorption.
Probably that is why gorillas practice coprophagia.

Last edited:

Travis

Probably that is why gorillas practice coprophagia.
Pics or it didn't happen. (Or a Jane Goodall quote.)

TeslaFan

They are the most important b vitamins.

all others are highly suspect, especially PABA,
b5, b9, b12 , choline and inositol may have a use

Cholesterol cannot convert to pregnenolone without Coenzyme-A, which is B5 dependent.
B5 is essential.

Travis

Cholesterol cannot convert to pregnenolone without Coenzyme-A, which is B5 dependent.
B5 is essential.
And cholesterol cannot even form in the first place without B₅.

paymanz

Pics or it didn't happen. (Or a Jane Goodall quote.)
Why do you ask for pics?I don't understand!

But anyway there is some pics on Google image search.

There is some vids on YouTube too.

Occasional coprophagy is observed in mountain gorillas (Harcourt and Stewart, 1979; Fossey, 1983) and it was reported in free-living gorillas in Gabon (Krief et al., 2004). Redmond (1983)

Travis

It's just that you can't have any discussion on B₁₂ without someone bringing that up.

It's often used as a slur, and as a way to avoid answering serious questions about intestinal absorption. Like how B₁₂ supposedly cannot be absorbed alone, but can easily be absorbed when attached to a 45 kilodalton protein (over 33 times its mass.)

The small intestine has B₁₂-producing bacteria, and intrinsic factor as well. It has been estimated that the amount of bacteria residing in the small intestine would naturally produce more than the required intake (but I'm still skeptical about intrinsic factor.)

Albert, M. J., V. I. Mathan, and S. J. Baker. "Vitamin B12 synthesis by human small intestinal bacteria." Nature 283.5749 (1980): 781-782.

Frankdee20

So is there truly no need for methylfolate, B-12, B-5 ? They're not discussed in high regard on this forum.

InChristAlone

I think B5 doesn't get much attention because it is widely distributed in food. But I will say if you eat a standard American Diet it will be on the low end of the RDA.

InChristAlone

Good thing most of us eat high carb diets as it can help recycle folate:

tara

On a daily I take B1 500mg, B 100mg, Niacinamide 500mg 2x, B6 50mg, Biotin 600mcg.
Unless you have specific personal needs for higher amounts, I think Peat has suggested those quantities of B2 (I'm guessing that's 100mg B2?) and 50mg B6 may be excessive? I wonder if 5-10 mg of each of these might be more appropriate long term?

Also, I eat more than 2,000 calories most days with a very Peat-influenced approach, ...
I know you've just said more than, but it does suggest quite a low cal diet. If you are only just eating over 2000 cal, and are a male training for boxing, I'd wonder if that is sustainable.

So is there truly no need for methylfolate, B-12, B-5 ? They're not discussed in high regard on this forum.
I think Peat has mentioned that B12 deficiency can be one factor impairing conversion of dietary beta carotene to usable vit-A.

smith

How does anyone eat more than 3000 or 4000 calories a day without spending their whole day in a satisfied, sleepy and digestive stupor or having their stomach explode? I'm all ears for some magical calorie recipes, though

OP
Sam Suska

Sam Suska

Forum Supporter
Ya, I used to think that too. And, let me say it's hard to get much more than 3,000 calories of the absolute best foods. I break it down to 4-5 meals, each one pretty ****** big. And. in my case I am more like 85% of my food is really good.

Meal - smoothie with 2% milk, about 1 and a half bananas, dark chocolate powder, sugar, 20-30g of whey protein, about 20g of collagen, some taurine and glycine too, dark chocolate chips in it

Meal- 4-6 scrambled eggs with potato, probably has a lot of cheese, all cooked in a lot of butter

Meal- fish or beef along with potato + some veggies, all cooked in coconut oil and some orange juice too

Meal - fat free yogurt with a little ice cream and some dark chocolate bar in it - add a lot of collagen, taurine, glycine to it

That is probably a typical day for me, plus my additional supplements, and I workout almost every day and am very active. Now, I also work 70+ hours a week at the firehouse, which is essentail 3 entire days, so I'll eat with the crew, but make it the healthiest I can - and that is in addition to this, I would say. Now, let me add, I follow a vigorous workout regimen. Plus I am not as strict as I should be - no excuse - I just like to sit and eat with the guys at nights I work, and I work a crazy amount.

What do you think?

Wagner83

Why the whey protein rather than food? I hate it but tyler did enjoy his ricotta cheese among other things. Did you ever use cronometer?

OP
Sam Suska

Sam Suska

Forum Supporter
Why the whey protein rather than food? I hate it but tyler did enjoy his ricotta cheese among other things. Did you ever use cronometer?
I've never used cronometer. I like the whey, and it's easy to add protein - getting 150+ grams of protein is one of my general daily goals.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals