Sprinting Is Changing My Body Composition Very Quickly

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5487

I have incorporated sprints 35 yards 3-4 of them every other day. It is suppose to tank cortisol after a study I read

Eight Reasons Everyone Should Do Sprints | Poliquin Article

My body is getting leaner, more adrogenic particularly the face.

However I find it hard to eat, even repulsive right now. I don't know if the increased insulin sensitivity means my cells are actually using what I eat. But water weight is down, so is edema.

Anyone know whats going on?

Averroës

My best guess is that sprinting is a form of interval training. Especially in high intensities, interval training has been numerously shown to be highly effective as opposed to regular/endurance training (long distance or longer period of time) in various aspects, including the androgenic response it provokes.

Endurance training has also long been touted to be the best strategy for fat loss for example but interval training has been shown to achieve even better results, without the stressfulness of prolonged training (think cortisol and such).

I always go for HIIT whenever my time is limited a long gym visit and it always hits me how efficacious it is. I have also experienced the appetite suppression you've described but only immediately after the activity. It subsides after about 2 hours after which I get very hungry. Search for following keywords if you want to know more about the matter:

HIIT (high-intensity interval training)
Tabata
Sprinting in relation to testosterone, cortisol, etc...

Wagner83

If eating is repulsive this is no bueno imo. Every other day is quite a lot but then you don't do many so hard to say. Doesn't it feel taxing on the body?

Herbie

Poliquin's idea's which are not well founded are opposed to Peat's ideas.

Fractality

Ray said something like "sprinting is probably okay" it would be better if we received an elaboration.

YourUniverse

Poliquin's idea's which are not well founded are opposed to Peat's ideas.
Charles is a clinician, sometimes he sees things in his training practice that only many years later get confirmed by lab study. That doesnt give him a license to print bull**** pseudoscience, but also not reason to immediately write him off (although one of his biggest accomplishments is bringing high-dose fish oil to the fitness industry... LOL)

YourUniverse

I have incorporated sprints 35 yards 3-4 of them every other day. It is suppose to tank cortisol after a study I read

However I find it hard to eat, even repulsive right now. I don't know if the increased insulin sensitivity means my cells are actually using what I eat. But water weight is down, so is edema.

Jon Gabriel, behind the Gabriel Method, says that the best exercise for weight loss is maximal intensity, to the point of "picturing a tiger chasing you". He says the best way to tell your body that its OK to drop weight is to trick it into thinking it must be lean to survive. In the past Ive also lost all appetite doing max effort work. Theres just something about MAXIMAL effort that is so effective for fat loss, probably hormonal.

Based on your posts, you seem to be on a similar journey to me. You should try other max effort or explosive type work, like power cleans, DB snatches, and clap pushups - other exercises where you can give maximum intensity, without exceedingly heavy weight (like the difference between sprinting vs. squatting). I feel like theres unique fat burning/hormonal benefits from this type of high intensity but low resistance type of exercise.

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

If eating is repulsive this is no bueno imo. Every other day is quite a lot but then you don't do many so hard to say. Doesn't it feel taxing on the body?

Every other day actually. My Body is adapting very well, it seems. I am leaning out very fast and gaining mass, I guess I am just assimlating the carbs/protein I eat?

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Jon Gabriel, behind the Gabriel Method, says that the best exercise for weight loss is maximal intensity, to the point of "picturing a tiger chasing you". He says the best way to tell your body that its OK to drop weight is to trick it into thinking it must be lean to survive. In the past Ive also lost all appetite doing max effort work. Theres just something about MAXIMAL effort that is so effective for fat loss, probably hormonal.

Based on your posts, you seem to be on a similar journey to me. You should try other max effort or explosive type work, like power cleans, DB snatches, and clap pushups - other exercises where you can give maximum intensity, without exceedingly heavy weight (like the difference between sprinting vs. squatting). I feel like theres unique fat burning/hormonal benefits from this type of high intensity but low resistance type of exercise.

I completely agree with you. Sprinting literally is telling the body to drop all excess weight and put on lean mass where it needs it. I have incorporated Power cleans.

The androgenic response must be intense since I being noticeably more masculine. Water Weight is dropping, becoming bold, and bottom abs are strarting to appear, Neck is growing substantly

Body must be adapting thinking your either the top hunter in the tribe, or you are running for your genetic survival.
Quote from his sites.
" Long, slow workouts can lead to overtraining stress, and even food cravings; but exercise done right is brief, intense, playful, bendy, and includes plenty of rest. Best of all, it changes your biochemistry so you burn fat all day long."

My weight is maintaing mabey even going up

YourUniverse

I completely agree with you. Sprinting literally is telling the body to drop all excess weight and put on lean mass where it needs it. I have incorporated Power cleans.

The androgenic response must be intense since I being noticeably more masculine. Water Weight is dropping, becoming bold, and bottom abs are strarting to appear, Neck is growing substantly

Body must be adapting thinking your either the top hunter in the tribe, or you are running for your genetic survival.
100% this, agreed. Damn, youve inspired me - adding sprints. Lol!

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

100% this, agreed. Damn, youve inspired me - adding sprints. Lol!

Keep em short 30-50 yards. Some studies say like 30 seconds or 200 meters. This is way to much and will destroy you.

Theres the 1 full out sprint every day method 6x a week.

Or like 3-4 every other day.

Literally the best thing for my overall health, NOBODY does them or has the will power, makes you look so much better.

YourUniverse

Keep em short 30-50 yards. Some studies say like 30 seconds or 200 meters. This is way to much and will destroy you.

Theres the 1 full out sprint every day method 6x a week.

Or like 3-4 every other day.

Literally the best thing for my overall health, NOBODY does them or has the will power, makes you look so much better.
Do you think 1 sprint 6x/week is equivalent to 3-4, 3.5x/week? Why did you choose the 2nd option, is it better?

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

"
It Increases Leptin Sensitivity. Leptin is the hormonal messenger that links your fat cells to your brain and tells your body to “eat more” or “that’s enough.” When you’re overweight, your brain often loses its sensitivity to leptin, so it’s saying “enough already!” but your brain doesn’t hear it because it’s been bombarded for so long. So you continue to crave food and eat more than you should.

Intense exercise makes you very sensitive to leptin, so you’ll feel full more quickly, and you simply eat less without trying."

This might be the awnser.

YourUniverse

Another thing to consider, regarding leaning out and health in general: giving blood. Ray has talked at length about the dangers of iron overload; that historically, arsenic was prescribed for anemia whereas now iron is; women age more slowly than men until menopause, then age at an equivalent pace; in the nations where iron is added to grains, obesity and diabetes are high. The only way for men to actively lower their iron stores is through blood letting, AND it could save a life. Win/wins all day. Previous raypeat forum member Natedawwgh was really adamant that his own health took a drastic turn for the better after he "depleted" his excess iron.

Worth looking into!

tara

OP may be past the risk at this stage, but for other readers, think about warming up. I damaged achilles tendons trying short sprints a while ago, and I know I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to do so. They take a long time to heal.

Herbie

Charles is a clinician, sometimes he sees things in his training practice that only many years later get confirmed by lab study. That doesnt give him a license to print bull**** pseudoscience, but also not reason to immediately write him off (although one of his biggest accomplishments is bringing high-dose fish oil to the fitness industry... LOL)

Yeah take the good with the bad. He has proven to be a successful coach. He has also popularised the eccentric training which Peat's view is that its stressful and concentric movements are favourable.

I'm paraphrasing Ray Peat here: Push the bike up the hill, ride it down. Which is an example of focusing on concentric movement, avoiding eccentric. Perhaps thats why he says sprinting is probably ok but there are more favourable activities in his opinion which when answering the question didn't elaborate on. Someone needs to clarify with Ray Peat about exercise and see if he goes more in depth about his views.

YourUniverse

Yeah take the good with the bad. He has proven to be a successful coach. He has also popularised the eccentric training which Peat's view is that its stressful and concentric movements are favourable.

I'm paraphrasing Ray Peat here: Push the bike up the hill, ride it down. Which is an example of focusing on concentric movement, avoiding eccentric. Perhaps thats why he says sprinting is probably ok but there are more favourable activities in his opinion which when answering the question didn't elaborate on. Someone needs to clarify with Ray Peat about exercise and see if he goes more in depth about his views.
Good call, I forgot his "eccentric training" contribution to fitness :banghead:

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Do you think 1 sprint 6x/week is equivalent to 3-4, 3.5x/week? Why did you choose the 2nd option, is it better?

It works better with my schedule.

The 6x a week method is a great thing to not over tax the body especially if older or really outta shape, yet get the metabolic boost every day.

Feel it out see how u do and what works for yah

Tarmander

Kind of curious how old you are?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals