Sprinting Is Changing My Body Composition Very Quickly

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date

Elie

Forum Supporter
23 year old male.

The changes are very quickly. I have come across numerous studies showing

1) sprints are 10-15 times more efficent than jogging, for fat loss

2) There is a large increase Post Excersice Oxygen Consumption, which eats up calories like nothing else for hours after.

3) While initally increasing Cortisol during/slightly after, it lowers baseline cortisol.

4) Increase glycogen/ insulin sensitivity, probably through lowering cortisol.

5) Sprints also activate the Glutes(since walking/jogging doesn't), and put considerable stress on the Core muscles to keep the body balanced with the rotation of the shoulders. So localized fat loss in the core, while also building the glutes.

Essentially it's the hardest exercise to do, while having the highest rewards.

If u can motivate yourself you will see fat distribution in your face/neck within the first week, assuming your relatively young/male, but I am sure the benefits are universal regardless of age/gender.

. It's essential to have large glucose loads after(potatos), as well as gelatin Fructose as well., Just some fruit/milk after will not be enough and you may feel like you got hit by a truck the next day. plenty of rest between 2-3 days.

A few sprints depletes glycogen quicker than 45min jogs.

Thank you for all these details. One more thing - how long do you wait to recover in between sprints?

MrThyroid

sprint is my absolute favour after squad and deadlift most anabolic androgenic exercise in this world. I never felt so exhausted after a few sprints compared to other exercise. It drains your body and CNS so hard but the rewards are amazing like the others mention before.

Runenight201

Would also like to highly recommend sprints, coming from a competitive background, there's something about Maximal effort for a very brief period of time that evokes a very powerful, primal, proud response.

I also notice that my hunger for all solid food completely drops after such a workout, and the only thing I crave is fruit juice, which makes sense as my body's glycogen stores are completely depleted on top of dehydration from the sweat.

I think as long as recovery is adequate, nutrition (sugar) is plentiful, and there is no silly exertion past the point of complete exhaustion, then sprints and maximal effort training can only build a more resilient body.

After all, that's what we're all gunning for anyways, stress resiliency.

benaoao

I agree with you guys. Maximal effort feels good. Although I lift too heavy, it’s quite training > doing speed work with 50-60% is awesome too. Ramping up the aggression is wonderful.

How many potatoes? How much fruit juice?

Your body will know, so listen to it

vulture

I have incorporated sprints 35 yards 3-4 of them every other day. It is suppose to tank cortisol after a study I read

Eight Reasons Everyone Should Do Sprints | Poliquin Article

My body is getting leaner, more adrogenic particularly the face.

However I find it hard to eat, even repulsive right now. I don't know if the increased insulin sensitivity means my cells are actually using what I eat. But water weight is down, so is edema.

Anyone know whats going on?
I'm currently experimenting with 3 x 75m sprints, 2 to 3 minutes between each sprint. I like the excercise, is great to run AFAP, and I combine it with some dips and chin ups. 2 to 3 times a week. No compliments so far.

meatbag

I'm currently experimenting with 3 x 75m sprints, 2 to 3 minutes between each sprint. I like the excercise, is great to run AFAP, and I combine it with some dips and chin ups. 2 to 3 times a week. No compliments so far.

I think its good to try to develop the shoulders for better shoulder to waist ratio is my 2cents. If your mostly doing bodyweight stuff you can do incline pushups with feet elevated and keep increasing the angle until you can do handstand pushups. I'll just throw out there that dips seem to put the shoulder joint at a pretty rough angle and really started to bother mine personally, I know everyone's a bit different though

vulture

Same happened to me.

Maybe stationary bike sprints work as well though? I remember doing those a few years ago and getting lean without dieting.
I think it's not the same, by far. I feel sprints all over my body, even my lower back feels under some load, I can feel that abs also got their part after working out. It must be one of the most human primitive anaerobic works available. And also I doubt it's a good idea to sprint more than 3X week, heavy sprinting might be as demanding or more than heavy squatting, and never saw a reputable routine with heavy squatting more then 3X week.
I also feel it psychologically estimulating, although you may feel exhausted, it feels great to run that fast.

Jehonadab

I have been doing sprints since high school, not consistently but for months at a time. I'm 53 now and just recently started up again partly because Peating has put a few pounds on me although I feel great over all. Anyway here's how I do it: I do one slow "sprint" then do some stretching then do another one at about 40%, the third one a little faster,. the fourth one at about 80%. By number 5 I'm going pretty much all out. I have been doing a total of 12 including the slow ones, twice a week. I am intrigued by this idea of doing fewer sprints but doing them every other day. I'm thinking maybe a total of seven with only 4 through 7 being true sprints, the first 3 are warm up.
OP may be past the risk at this stage, but for other readers, think about warming up. I damaged achilles tendons trying short sprints a while ago, and I know I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to do so. They take a long time to heal.

Nebula

I like to accelerate into my sprints from a jog into a run then into the maximum effort sprint for a timed set of 10-15 seconds. I do my sprints while on a walk so I don't measure it by distance and instead use an interval timer app to give me 10 seconds to accelerate then 15 seconds for the sprint, followed by at least 2 minutes of rest, more if I need it. I only do 4 sets 2-3 times per week. I might increase my number sets later and drop down to only 10 second sprints. I've only been doing it for about 4 months and I'm very pleased with its effects on fat loss, water retention, sleep and general increase in well being. I would say it's even changed my personality to be more confident, motivated, and jolly (for a lack of a better word). I guess that must be more DHT/T production and lowered estrogen/serotonin. I haven't tested it though.

Last edited:

Collden

I think it's not the same, by far. I feel sprints all over my body, even my lower back feels under some load, I can feel that abs also got their part after working out. It must be one of the most human primitive anaerobic works available. And also I doubt it's a good idea to sprint more than 3X week, heavy sprinting might be as demanding or more than heavy squatting, and never saw a reputable routine with heavy squatting more then 3X week.
I also feel it psychologically estimulating, although you may feel exhausted, it feels great to run that fast.
Yep, probably the movement pattern as well as the whole-body physical impact of the sprint is as important as the intensity for hormonal stimulation. Your body will feel the necessity to adapt physiologically in a completely different way than if you just work your leg muscles as intensely as possible in an isolated fashion while suspended on a seat

vulture

I have been doing sprints since high school, not consistently but for months at a time. I'm 53 now and just recently started up again partly because Peating has put a few pounds on me although I feel great over all. Anyway here's how I do it: I do one slow "sprint" then do some stretching then do another one at about 40%, the third one a little faster,. the fourth one at about 80%. By number 5 I'm going pretty much all out. I have been doing a total of 12 including the slow ones, twice a week. I am intrigued by this idea of doing fewer sprints but doing them every other day. I'm thinking maybe a total of seven with only 4 through 7 being true sprints, the first 3 are warm up.
I read a study that stretching BEFORE the excercise actually increases injury risk. As far as I remember, and do, the order is: warm-up, effective load (actual excercise), stretching.

Spokey

I have incorporated sprints 35 yards 3-4 of them every other day. It is suppose to tank cortisol after a study I read

Eight Reasons Everyone Should Do Sprints | Poliquin Article

My body is getting leaner, more adrogenic particularly the face.

However I find it hard to eat, even repulsive right now. I don't know if the increased insulin sensitivity means my cells are actually using what I eat. But water weight is down, so is edema.

Anyone know whats going on?

Lowering cortisol should improve appetite.

Jehonadab

I read a study that stretching BEFORE the excercise actually increases injury risk. As far as I remember, and do, the order is: warm-up, effective load (actual excercise), stretching.
I have heard about such a study, I don't know if it's the same one or not. With that thought in mind I always do a little jogging first, just enough to get the blood flowing. Experience tells me that I need to do some stretching before I do anything at full speed or I will pull something; hamstring, quadricep or groin muscle. Oh and I do some stretching after my sprints too. Forgot to mention that.

Incidentally for anyone considering taking up sprinting, at the beginning of this routine my legs feel like those of a 90 year old but by my fourth rep and after having stretched [ for me at least ] I feel like I'm twenty something again so don't be too quick to think you can't do this based on how you feel at the beginning. Of course you should start small and I wouldn't get anywhere near full speed the first 2 or 3 times out.

Arctic Fire

Love sprinting. I've benefited from as little as 4-5 sprints of around 15 seconds each, 2X/week. Definitely include a warmup. Incorporating sprints into a scenic walk makes them even more enjoyable.

Wagner83

I'm starting them again. I think one of the most important factors is to make sure digestion isn't too slowed before doing them, I think exercise can be particularly damaging if full bowel movements haven't occurred for some time beforehand or generally speaking if nutrition is inadequate and endotoxins have built up. After all Ray has pointed to endotoxins flooding us during exercise.

Fractality

How about sprinting on up a hill at a lighter intensity? This adds a concentric element too.