My Very Positive Experience And How I Did It

chispas

I feel great eating the Ray Peat way, so I thought I would share a post explaining my understanding of Dr Peat’s views, and what I have done to implement them.

I’ve read (mostly) all of Ray Peat’s work (books and articles both) but I’m not a scientist, and find it all quite challenging to comprehend. Below I have attempted to outline what I understand of Ray Peat’s dietary principles (of which I may be quite wrong), and describe my experience.

What I think Ray Peat says:

1. Low consumption or elimination of PUFA will promote an environment where the organism inclines toward a hyperthyroid state, where the metabolic rate quickens, body temperature increases, mitochondrial respiration is optimal, and available energy is used properly throughout the body.
2. Consumption of easily digestible simple sugars support the complexity of mitochondrial efficiency (as opposed to glycation processes, which are in Peat’s view better suited to “less advanced” organisms, and can be attributed to the formation of ‘advanced-glycation-end-products’, aging and degeneration).
3. Sufficient protein enables proper liver function and amino acid balance, preferably with supplemental use of glycine/gelatine.
4. Sufficient aversion of heavy metals, thyroid-suppressing environmental factors and serotonin-raising foods will make us function better.
5. Sufficient promotion of B-vitamins, fat soluble vitamins, magnesium, and additional ‘mitochondrial uncouplers’ such as aspirin, caffeine, magnesium, fructose, progesterone, thyroid, etc. will also make us function better.

My experience:

1. Carbohydrate: I consume many pieces of fruit a day (sometimes over 10) from sources that are FODMAP safe and/or don’t create digestive discomfort. At the beginning, I gave myself a yeast infection by eating too many fruits that were unripe, and which severely disturbed the balance of bacteria in my gut. Now I just stick to kiwi fruit, oranges, mandarins, and dates. Any other fruits I cook. I also drink orange juice – pulp or no pulp doesn’t seem to bother me. I eat white rice, no pasta, and little potato or sweet potato (even though it doesn’t bother me at all). I eat rice at dinner only, the rest of the day is fruit.

2. Protein: Consuming protein is easy for me. I only eat grass-fed meat (nothing processed, no sausages, no bacon, no sandwich meats) and don’t worry about it as much as Peat does. I don’t eat pork because it has a tendency to give me a stuffy nose (perhaps too much methionine or cysteine in pork, I don’t know?). I consume 1500 – 3000mg of glycine per day, and it makes me feel great – a subjective sense of being calm, even when doing heavy weightlifting. I used to eat four eggs a day, now I don’t. Now it’s more about cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast. I drink full fat milk because skim is gross. I eat cheese, but not heaps. It’s hard to get authentic rennet-based cheese. I’m a big believer in organic micellar casein. As a supplement, it is not denatured and has no additives. I would never consume whey or any other protein powder; I also avoid powdered milk because of the oxidised cholesterol. I hardly eat fish, but I do eat prawns a couple of times a week. Prawns make me feel warm. I experimented with very low protein once, and it didn’t work out. I did however feel happy and euphoric for a few days, as the residual protein left my body. Perhaps protein elimination could be good once a week?

3. Vegetables: I concentrate mostly on well-cooked vegetables, but in recent weeks, I have to admit that peas are the absolute best. No other vegetable (in my opinion) comes close to the awesomeness of peas, except maybe asparagus. I highly recommend eating peas. Broccoli and cauliflower well-streamed and fried brussel sprouts are also good, but I don’t bother with much else. I eat a raw carrot every day – maybe it does something, I don’t know. I feel healthy doing it and it goes well with cheese and dates! I used to eat a lot of sauerkraut, but I don’t think it ever did anything much. There is a link between lactobacillus and the production of DHEA, so it does demand more investigation.

4. Fats: I don’t bother with coconut oil, or much olive oil. I used to eat a tonne of grass-fed butter, but didn’t notice much health benefits. I understand Weston A Price’s research on butter for good teeth.

5. Supplement experiences: I consume glycine in my coffee. I’m going to experiment soon with adding taurine. I consume creatine twice or three times throughout the day – I don’t know why Peat doesn’t place more emphasis on the value of creatine, as it is proven to increase testosterone very effectively. I try to remember to take vitamin D daily. I will take niacinamide with B1 and B6 at night, if I am feeling abnormally stressed (but I never am). I will take aspirin if I have a headache, but I never do. I have a bottle of diosgenin which is a topical precursor to pregnenolone. I’ve applied it a couple of times only to feel hotter, and get a headache. I understand I could probably eat a bit more sugar around the time of applying it and avoid the headache. I have yet to see any biological changes from pregnenolone. I hardly drink any tap water – just mostly juice, coffee and milk (and sparkling water). I will take zinc if I notice any spots on my face (generally above my eyebrows), and this makes it go away again. Once when I had bleeding gums, I took B12 and it vanished overnight. I had a dentist appointment the next day, and even the dentist couldn’t detect anything wrong with the gum, which shocked me. I haven’t found a good quality vitamin E supplement – so can’t report anything. I drink about three cups of strong instant coffee every day with about three sugars.

6. Calories: I don’t notice the difference between consuming high calorie or low calorie – I seem to be OK in any case. If I notice that I start to breathe through my mouth during exercise, I stop and get something calorific and sugary to give me energy. This hardly happens though – even doing hill sprints, which is very surprising to me.

7. Thyroid/progesterone: Have not used at all, except for the topical diosgenin, which I need to experiment with more. However I feel so good, I wonder what the benefits could possibly be.

Overall, I feel great. My blood test is immaculate. I have no fillings in my teeth, and no cavities on the come-up. I have no physical injuries, and am gaining strength and muscle quite quickly doing only a little bit of exercise every day. I sleep like a log, feel extremely calm, and surprisingly confident in intimidating situations. Furthermore, for one of the first times in my life I actually feel like I really like being the “sense” of the person that I am – I feel very good in my own body – a truly positive sense of vitality and abundance. Can’t even remember how bad my anxiety and panic attacks used to me – and I’m glad I’ve forgotten.

My own non-scientific thoughts: We are all different. Peat is clearly an older man, and as such, we can’t put too much faith in his own anecdotal experiences. My girlfriend has had far different experiences to me on a Peat protocol, and her experimentation continues. I don’t encourage anyone to go too hard on any imagined Peat-style of eating. I did, and I got a yeast infection.

Hope this record helps someone.

tara

Thanks for the report - sounds like you've got things working well for yourself.

My understanding of diosgenin, unless I'm mixing it up with another similar-sounding chemical, is that it is the substrate from which progesterone is artificially manufactured (I don't know about pregnenolone, but maybe that too). Our bodies are not able to make this conversion, and human ingestion or topical application of the unmodified diosgenin is more likely to have estrogenic effects. Maybe htat's why you got a headache from it? I wouldn't recommend using this.

Your diet looks very different from only one month ago:

chispas said:
Breakfast drink (1050 calories):

Protein powder (must be 2 scoops)
Powdered skim milk (make 1 litre)
3 tablespoons of golden syrup
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 piece of fruit (banana, ½ cup of berries or cherries)

Morning tea (680 calories):

3 dates, 3 slices cheese, 1 cup of fruit juice with added salt and creatine, 1 carrot, 1 coffee

Lunch (400 calories):

200g+ potato, 1 piece of fruit and preferred meat choice (pick one):

2 cans tuna slices
3 large eggs
Medium sized chicken breast/pork steak/other meat approx. 150g

Afternoon tea drink again (820 calories):

Protein powder (must be 2 scoops)
Milk (make 1 litre)
3 tablespoons of golden syrup
No coconut oil at afternoon tea
1 piece of fruit (banana, ½ cup of berries or cherries)

Dinner (600 calories):

Meat with rice or potatoes and vegetables with added salt
Small quantities of butter or olive oil to taste
Ice cream or frozen yoghurt for dessert with fruit

Total: 3550 calories, 250g protein, 450g carbs, 90g fat

chispas said:
Recently, I've been thinking that Peat is wrong about protein recommendations. I have been eating less than 50g of protein a day (experimentally, on purpose) and increasing carbs and sugars dramatically (about 600g of carbs a day - 20% starchy plants, 80% majority fruit sugar from whole fruit). What I have found is that body fat which I could not burn whatsoever while eating moderate to high protein (100 - 150g) is suddenly flying off, and my strength is going up, and my mood is almost euphoric. I eat only trace amounts of fat in this diet.

The diet is:

2 carrots a day
3 glasses low fat milk x 250ml for calcium
two or three egg yolks - no white, (avoiding avidin for an experiment as well)
heaps of dates for potassium and magnesium
sugar in coffee
oranges and kiwis
stewed pears and apples
even some scones!
rice, sweet potatoes and white potatoes (but mostly only after doing exercise), and with green vegies (broccoli, zucchini, etc).

Before this experiment, I was trying to lose body fat by increasing protein and carbs and keeping dietary fat low. My calories were still below maintenance (supposedly). No fat was lost, and no strength was gained, and I felt average and bloated.

I'm going to keep up this experiment for a little while, and report back how it goes. I was inspired to do this after reading about Horace Fletcher's feats of strength on limited protein. His dietary recommendations and reasoning are remarkably similar to Dr Peat's - the only difference is the protein quantity.

A lot of the info on this weird website is remarkably Peatian (no author names however)
http://health.yodelout.com/increased-mu ... able-diet/

Also, about the taurine, Peat doesn't recommend the use of individual amino acids.

IMO, the "fodmap" thing is complete snake oil, when looking at what it purports:

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/ ... apdiet.pdf

Just because I may have had a bad digestion experience with say, blueberries for example, that doesn't mean that all blueberries, all the time, will always be a problem. Maybe it was just those specific ones because they had an irritable pollen on them while the next ones I get will not have the pollen. It's too variable.
chispas said:
I eat a raw carrot every day – maybe it does something, I don’t know. I feel healthy doing it and it goes well with cheese and dates!

Peat recommends raw carrot or boiled bamboo shoot be consumed by themselves at least 45 minutes to 1 hour before eating something else or 45 minutes to 1 hour after eating, as to ensure that the carrot or bamboo moves through the gut by itself and soaks up estrogen and cleans house. Eating it with other food defeats the purpose.

OP
C

chispas

Yeah, the diet changed because it did not make me feel good. I also read and tried other things.

I don't think Fodmaps are snake oil. Seems unlikely. I think it's an important consideration for people trying to avoid IBS. I think a lot of commercial fruit is unripe and/or hard to digest.

As Larry David says, "fruit is a gamble".

As for the solitary carrot, where has Peat written this?

What is the length of this positive experience :lol:

Peat's_Girl

That's a very good summary of Peat's principles. Thank you for that Chispas.

Just out of curiosity, what has been your girlfriend's experience?

Makrosky

chispas said:
1. Carbohydrate: I consume many pieces of fruit a day (sometimes over 10) from sources that are FODMAP safe and/or don’t create digestive discomfort. At the beginning, I gave myself a yeast infection by eating too many fruits that were unripe, and which severely disturbed the balance of bacteria in my gut. Now I just stick to kiwi fruit, oranges, mandarins, and dates. Any other fruits I cook. I also drink orange juice – pulp or no pulp doesn’t seem to bother me. I eat white rice, no pasta, and little potato or sweet potato (even though it doesn’t bother me at all). I eat rice at dinner only, the rest of the day is fruit.

Hey chispas,

Could you please elaborate on why unripe fruits promote yeast overgrowth and ripe fruit doesn't ? I find it strange.

Also, how did you get rid of your yeast infection ?

Thanks!

Greg says

Yeah I'd also like to know the gut/yeast protocol. Besides eating a carrot.

aguilaroja

tara said:
My understanding of diosgenin.. .is that it is the substrate from which progesterone is artificially manufactured (I don't know about pregnenolone, but maybe that too). Our bodies are not able to make this conversion, and human ingestion or topical application of the unmodified diosgenin is more likely to have estrogenic effects....I wouldn't recommend using this.

Diosgenin is a percursor molecule to progesterone, but only gets to progesterone by chemical semi-synthesis, not by usual metabolism. Last I knew, RP recommended avoiding diosgenin and wild yam, which have estrogen effects rather than progesterone actions.

viewtopic.php?t=227&start=45#p3982
"In _From PMS to Menopause_, on the very last page, Ray Peat writes that "Diosgenin, sometimes called wild yam extract, is toxic.' "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diosgenin

"Diosgenin is the precursor for the semisynthesis of progesterone which in turn was used in early combined oral contraceptive pills. The unmodified steroid has estrogenic activity..."

What exact kind of pregnenolone do they want us to take then :shock:

jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:

Flower Mantis' pregnenolone.

Can't I just cut someone's adrenal glands out? It's the evil dopamine that made me do it anyway.

tara

Such_Saturation said:
It's diosgenin that's possibly toxic, not pregnenolone.

tara said:
Such_Saturation said:

The one I have is up to 0.1% wild yam. It's Health Natura.

tara

Such_Saturation said:
tara said:
Such_Saturation said:

You reckon the 99.9% pregnenolone might be worth it?

tara said:
Such_Saturation said:
tara said:
Such_Saturation said:

You reckon the 99.9% pregnenolone might be worth it?

Absolutely, just hard to separate from the rest of it :cool:

narouz

Such_Saturation said:
jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:

Can't I just cut someone's adrenal glands out? It's the evil dopamine that made me do it anyway.

This is exactly the kind of response
we've tried so hard to train you out of
here at The Ray Peat Forum, Such!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Such_Saturation said:

I am pretty sure that would be against forum rules. :mrgreen:

34yr7dt.jpg

narouz said:
Such_Saturation said:
jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:

:shock: are you trying to steer a person, inactivating their own guidance system?

narouz

Such_Saturation said:
narouz said:
Such_Saturation said:
jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:

:shock: are you trying to steer a person, inactivating their own guidance system?

Yeah...you make a good point.
Tough call.

How about just one adrenal from each "donor"?
Okay?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals