Revised Sprinting Thread-Weight Loss

achillies

After further sprinting, reading, and experimentation.

I have shifted my workouts to shorter duration, greater volume approach.

Sprints should be done in 10-20 yard explosions. In sets of 4-6.

50 yard+ sprints I believe These can only be done by the healthiest(youngest) of individuals-Highschool/college track runners.

4-6 20 yard sprints is much easier on the body with the same metabolic and hormonal signalling.

I was wondering why I was getting so fatigued after 2-3 50 yard sprints. While a single 100 yard sprint, gave me hives(for 10 days) and extreme fatigue, the stress is simply to great. I would also recall a very strong cortisol/adrenaline surge following a sprinting session.

Sprinting still remains the best form of weight loss from a physical point of view. It has never been about calories, but metabolism, insulin sensitivity, leptin sensitivity, stress hormones..etc.

Sprinting should be done 2-3 times per week, you would be shocked the effect it has on body composition that no amount "cutting fat to zero" will do. Plenty of studies show both muscle gain and fat loss following consistent sprinting, so don't go off scale.

Sprinting in such explosive short distances is anabolic and not catabolic in nature. Almost like a full body lift. These sprints take like 2-5 seconds to complete. Followed by a short session of breathing through the nose.

I also finish my workouts with plenty of protein/ gelatin and a blended mango+OJ smoothies and some pickles.

raypeatclips

Interesting. I actually did a sprint session yesterday for the first time in a long time. How much time do you give in between your 5 second sprint bursts, and do you remain still, or walk slowly at this time?

Nebula

After further sprinting, reading, and experimentation.

I have shifted my workouts to shorter duration, greater volume approach.

Sprints should be done in 10-20 yard explosions. In sets of 4-6.

50 yard+ sprints I believe These can only be done by the healthiest(youngest) of individuals-Highschool/college track runners.

4-6 20 yard sprints is much easier on the body with the same metabolic and hormonal signalling.

I was wondering why I was getting so fatigued after 2-3 50 yard sprints. While a single 100 yard sprint, gave me hives(for 10 days) and extreme fatigue, the stress is simply to great. I would also recall a very strong cortisol/adrenaline surge following a sprinting session.

Sprinting still remains the best form of weight loss from a physical point of view. It has never been about calories, but metabolism, insulin sensitivity, leptin sensitivity, stress hormones..etc.

Sprinting should be done 2-3 times per week, you would be shocked the effect it has on body composition that no amount "cutting fat to zero" will do. Plenty of studies show both muscle gain and fat loss following consistent sprinting, so don't go off scale.

Sprinting in such explosive short distances is anabolic and not catabolic in nature. Almost like a full body lift. These sprints take like 2-5 seconds to complete. Followed by a short session of breathing through the nose.

I also finish my workouts with plenty of protein/ gelatin and a blended mango+OJ smoothies and some pickles.

I've recently come to the same conclusion about my sprint workouts. I was doing 15 second sprints and after a few months as I became better at exerting maximum effort it started feeling more stressful than usual. So lately I've been doing 10 second sprints, which feel better, but I think next time I'll try lowering it to 5 seconds and do a few more sets per session with less rest. I've done sprinting similar to this before and remember it feeling invigorating and creating euphoria rather than feeling depleted.

Last edited:
OP
A

achillies

I've recently come to the same conclusion about my sprint workouts. I was doing 15 second sprints and after a few months as I became better at exerting maximum effort it started feeling more stressful than usual. So lately I've been doing 10 second sprints, which feel better, but I think next time I'll try lowering it to 5 seconds and do a few more sets per session. I've done sprinting similar to this before and remember it feeling invigorating and creating euphoria rather than feeling depleted.

Spot on. There is a adaption response or a controllable release of acute cortisol that decrease inflammation and makes you feel really good. I am not sure if this is a runner high per say, maybe just a raising of the blood sugar.

Similar can be felt after a heavyish low low rep powercleaning session. No sort of higher reps or breathless jogging creates this.

"Sprinting significantly increases EPOC, or post-exercise oxygen consumption, which sucks up calories like a sponge for hours after high intensity training."
This high could be a simple increase in metabolism that makes you feel really good.

Last edited:
OP
A

achillies

Interesting. I actually did a sprint session yesterday for the first time in a long time. How much time do you give in between your 5 second sprint bursts, and do you remain still, or walk slowly at this time?

I run a 4.5 40 yard dash, so and do probably 20-30 yards so it's closer to 3 seconds.
Hands above my head, walk, breath through nose till breathing is close to normal, i "feel" ready for the next sprint.(1-3 mintues)

Where if the sprint is 50-100 yards, this feeling of being ready for the next sprint might be 48 hours. Lol.

I run a 4.5 40 yard dash, so and do probably 20-30 yards so it's closer to 3 seconds.
Hands above my head, walk, breath through nose till breathing is close to normal, i "feel" ready for the next sprint.(1-3 mintues)

Where if the sprint is 50-100 yards, this feeling of being ready for the next sprint might be 48 hours. Lol.
This is spot on. Sprinting coaches usually have trainees practice 30 to 40m sprints and 1 - 3 min rest between reps. The point of the rest is to fully recover so that you can exert yourself close to 100% during each rep. 100m sprint would probably take closer to 10 - 20min rest for the trained and maybe way longer for the untrained.

I am doing maybe 3 wind sprints and it is fantastic in terms of making me feel wonderful. In the middle I'm running full speed for maybe 20 meters. What fun!

-Luke-

Didn't see this thread until now but I'm doing pretty much the same. In my early 20s I would do stuff like 6-8 x 80-100m with 3 minutes pause (early 20s, those were the days...), but after a workout like that I would basically be in a coma for 48 hours nowadays (at 34).

When I started doing sprints again a few years ago wanted to go back to the 80-100m sprints (3-4 times), but it was just way too stressful (felt very stressed and had headaches the whole day). Nowadays it's more like ~20m 3-5 times and I feel very good afterwards. It also matters to me when I sprint. Best time for me is right before lunch. I have a normal breakfast and a little snack half an hour to an hour before the sprints and eat lunch right afterwards. If I do these too early in the morning, the stressful feeling might come back slightly.