• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Should you quit coffee to fix a vitamin B1 deficiency?

ArtIt

Coffee has helped me most of my adult life, but recently I have switched to yerba mate + green tea, and feel better. I have more energy, and I am more calm.

Mr.Bollox

Coffee is harsh on the gut as well
In my newsletter, I asked which topic people would like to see the most, and coffee and B1 were upvoted the most. I know it was also a "hot" topic a while back on the forum, so that's why I decided to post it here as well.

View: https://youtu.be/ahDYNNFnFrI
Coffee has helped me most of my adult life, but recently I have switched to yerba mate + green tea, and feel better. I have more energy, and I am more calm.

are caffeine pills fine to use? it says USP grade, nutrabio brand, 200mg caffeine. wanted to avoid coffee due to pesticides issue and other concerns, so was thinking of caffeine
also, anyone know if its coffees own unique acids/etc that help it inhibit iron absorption or is it the caffeine in which case caffeine capsules help too?

Hans

Nice. I'm not trying to promote coffee here, but coffee has so many other benefits other than caffeine ofc. But ofc, there isn't something like a coffee deficiency haha.

Hans

are caffeine pills fine to use? it says USP grade, nutrabio brand, 200mg caffeine. wanted to avoid coffee due to pesticides issue and other concerns, so was thinking of caffeine
also, anyone know if its coffees own unique acids/etc that help it inhibit iron absorption or is it the caffeine in which case caffeine capsules help too?
Caffeine pills are fine.
It's compounds other than caffeine that inhibits non-heme iron absorption.

Spartan300

How so? From what I've seen, it's only protective against gut issues, such as colon cancer for example.
I think this maybe another of those situations where it depends on the state of one's health.

A week or so ago I cut back to one coffee per day and my digestive distress and gurgling is much improved.
My sleep is marginally better too.

Hans

Is it also protective in the context of gastritis?
Don't think so. Do you also have GERD? Too little stomach acid can cause GERD, but coffee might help since it can help with stomach acid. But perhaps the extra liquid dilutes the stomach acid too much, thus preventing any benefit. Espresso might be more suitable. Also, excess cortisol has been linked to GERD.
What is your main symptom with the gastritis?

khan

Don't think so. Do you also have GERD? Too little stomach acid can cause GERD, but coffee might help since it can help with stomach acid. But perhaps the extra liquid dilutes the stomach acid too much, thus preventing any benefit. Espresso might be more suitable. Also, excess cortisol has been linked to GERD.
What is your main symptom with the gastritis?
No i don't think i have gerd. I get burning sensation in the stomach and unable to digest variety of things such as beef, nuts, saturated fats, etc. I sometimes get joint pain if I combine several things in one meal. My gastritis was diagnosed by endoscopy and it became worse after antibiotics and PPI. I recently order zinc-carnosine.i hope that will help. I will soon also use mucosta for gastritis. It's a Japanese medicine.
Even after eating i feel i haven't eaten anything.
Any advice for me?

Hans

No i don't think i have gerd. I get burning sensation in the stomach and unable to digest variety of things such as beef, nuts, saturated fats, etc. I sometimes get joint pain if I combine several things in one meal. My gastritis was diagnosed by endoscopy and it became worse after antibiotics and PPI. I recently order zinc-carnosine.i hope that will help. I will soon also use mucosta for gastritis. It's a Japanese medicine.
Even after eating i feel i haven't eaten anything.
Any advice for me?
Have you tried easy-to-digest food and digestive enzymes? Nuts are not easily digested at all.

Mr.Bollox

Have you tried easy-to-digest food and digestive enzymes? Nuts are not easily digested at all.
mate if you get a chance could you discuss or maybe youve already discussed why do you use the high dose b1, is it due CO2 effects and acetozolamide effects... and whats been your experience and how do you get around the nutrient depletion, like wouldnt the megadoses of b1 potentially cause depletions in a bunch of other nutrients like other b vitamins... or manganese or something else