Should you quit coffee to fix a vitamin B1 deficiency?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
mate if you get a chance could you discuss or maybe youve already discussed why do you use the high dose b1, is it due CO2 effects and acetozolamide effects... and whats been your experience and how do you get around the nutrient depletion, like wouldnt the megadoses of b1 potentially cause depletions in a bunch of other nutrients like other b vitamins... or manganese or something else
I used to for increasing glucose oxidation, dopamine and CO2. I use it in doses of 300mg and rarely ever higher. Peat mentioned to you last time that B1 doesn't deplete manganese in reasonable doses. But it's always a good idea to take the other Bs if you're going to use very high B1 doses.

Dr. B

I used to for increasing glucose oxidation, dopamine and CO2. I use it in doses of 300mg and rarely ever higher. Peat mentioned to you last time that B1 doesn't deplete manganese in reasonable doses. But it's always a good idea to take the other Bs if you're going to use very high B1 doses.
? I don't remember asking Peat about manganese/thiamine mate... he's told me that he doesn't recommend using taurine, vitamins etc as nutrients, only on temporary basis if a problem needs to be fixed in cases where drug effect outweighs side effects
that is what I wonder like the thiamine in foods and rda is like 1.4 milligrams, so I'm wary of taking 300mg of it daily or even every other day... currently ive been using 20mg every other day...

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
? I don't remember asking Peat about manganese/thiamine mate... he's told me that he doesn't recommend using taurine, vitamins etc as nutrients, only on temporary basis if a problem needs to be fixed in cases where drug effect outweighs side effects
that is what I wonder like the thiamine in foods and rda is like 1.4 milligrams, so I'm wary of taking 300mg of it daily or even every other day... currently ive been using 20mg every other day...
Dr Lonsdale has some really good content on B1. Here he shows what and how to test to see if you have enough.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Coffee has helped me most of my adult life, but recently I have switched to yerba mate + green tea, and feel better. I have more energy, and I am more calm.
Any concerns about the potential estrogenic properties of the green tea? Which brands are you using?

Dr. B

Any concerns about the potential estrogenic properties of the green tea? Which brands are you using?
I heard green tea has 5 AR inhibiting properties, but apparently the catechins are carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, not sure how powerful they are

清貴杉山

Coffee has helped me most of my adult life, but recently I have switched to yerba mate + green tea, and feel better. I have more energy, and I am more calm.
i use this combination too,really chill and calm energy boost,i drink mate pretty frequently since im argentinian

Amazoniac

Antithiamins of plant origin: their chemical nature and mode of action

"In this study by Somogyi and Nageli[27] the subjects drank one liter of coffee in seven portions during three hours and the same amount of water eight days later. The results showed that thiamin excretion decreased rapidly between two and five hours and the average thiamin excretion was 45.5% lower after the coffee-drinking periods than after the water-drinking periods."​
"Further experiments by Somogyi and Schock[28] were carried out to determine whether the antithiamin effect of coffee is influenced by caffeine. The subjects consumed water, coffee, or decaffeinated coffee as in the previous study. The experimental conditions were modified by giving the subjects 10 mg of thiamin orally 1 h before starting the experiment. The results are shown in Figure 5. Both types of coffee exerted a depressing effect on urine thiamin. In most cases the excretion of thiamin was lower after drinking decaffeinated coffee than after drinking the coffee containing caffeine."​
1637315409436.png

- The Thiamine Status of Adult Humans Depends on Carbohydrate Intake

"Thiamine concentrations in plasma and urine began to decrease during the adaptation phase, when a diet with defined intakes of thiamine (1.1 mg/d) was established without altering macronutrient composition (carbohydrates: 55% of total energy intake), indicating higher thiamine intakes prior to the study."​
"The mean urinary excretion of thiamine (Fig. 2) was 106 ± 71 μmol/mol creatinine at the start of the study, and 72 ± 56 μmol/mol creatinine at the end of the adaptation period (phase I). Significant changes (p < 0.05) were found by increasing dietary carbohydrates. With the increased intake of carbohydrates up to 65%, the 24-hr urinary excretion of thiamine decreased to 38 ± 22 μmol/mol creatinine. The increase of carbohydrates in the diet up to 75% of total energy did not cause any further decrease of mean thiamine excretion in urine; in fact it increased up to 58 ± 21 μmol/mol creatinine, but remained below the initial value."​
"At the end of the 65% carbohydrate phase, mean urinary excretion was 38 μmol/mol creatinine; this is close to the reference value of 22 μmol/mol creatinine, representing the border value for marginal thiamine deficiency [5]."​

Bart1

Antithiamins of plant origin: their chemical nature and mode of action

"In this study by Somogyi and Nageli[27] the subjects drank one liter of coffee in seven portions during three hours and the same amount of water eight days later. The results showed that thiamin excretion decreased rapidly between two and five hours and the average thiamin excretion was 45.5% lower after the coffee-drinking periods than after the water-drinking periods."​
"Further experiments by Somogyi and Schock[28] were carried out to determine whether the antithiamin effect of coffee is influenced by caffeine. The subjects consumed water, coffee, or decaffeinated coffee as in the previous study. The experimental conditions were modified by giving the subjects 10 mg of thiamin orally 1 h before starting the experiment. The results are shown in Figure 5. Both types of coffee exerted a depressing effect on urine thiamin. In most cases the excretion of thiamin was lower after drinking decaffeinated coffee than after drinking the coffee containing caffeine."​
Regarding the coffee, do I understand it correctly that less Thiamin excretion in urine is a positive, so that more is retained ? So this study suggests that drinking water is worse for thiamin status then coffee?

Jon2547

I've been cutting down down and down, and today, today is the day that I plan to end the coffee habit that I've had for nearly 16 years. Tomorrow I shall iced tea in the morning. And soon I hope to be done with even drinking tea, except on rare occasions.

InChristAlone

Regarding the coffee, do I understand it correctly that less Thiamin excretion in urine is a positive, so that more is retained ? So this study suggests that drinking water is worse for thiamin status then coffee?
No, it's the opposite. Coffee is well known for being anti-thiamine. Also carbs require more thiamine.

Amazoniac

I interpret as an attempt to conserve thiamin after coffee, possibly demanding more. It's not due to interference in absorption because thiamin was given in advance.

No, it's the opposite. Coffee is well known for being anti-thiamine. Also carbs require more thiamine.
What is charlie doing next to you?

Bart1

I interpret as an attempt to conserve thiamin after coffee, possibly demanding more. It's not due to interference in absorption because thiamin was given in advance.

What is charlie doing next to you?
Ok thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals