Solved? - IBS, SIBO, GERD, LPR, Colitis, Constipation, Celiac, Brain Fog

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Due to necessity, I had to figure out what in the world is causing the SIBO, GERD and LPR epidemic happening here on this very forum and around the world. So I started digging and putting pieces of the puzzle together. And what started to become very clear was the gut issues were related to the brain, and I was starting to see that vitamin deficiencies was the likely cause. These deficiencies are B vitamins along with their cofactors, more specifically vitamin B1 and B3. However, as the saying goes, B vitamins run in a constellation so they all need to be in check.

The diseases of Pellagra(B3 deficiency) and Beriberi(B1 deficiency) are said to have been wiped out via fortification of foods. I disagree. Instead, what I think is that we have widespread Beriberi and Pellagra, or simply put, vitamin deficiencies that is causing the gut issues along with all the many other issues that come along with it.

So as I put my hypothesis together, I start finding others who had the same conclusion as I did, we are basically suffering from high calorie malnutrition. One said person who I found is Dr. Derrick Lonsdale who is a pretty smart fella. He is well up on the research behind Thiamine, how it works etc. He has found a lot of the same things that @haidut has found out about Thiamine. In his practice he was finding that many people were indeed deficient of Thiamine and also that Thiamine could be used as a drug per say, to help many things. He himself figured out that disease and illness is from an energy breakdown, all the same things we are saying here on the forum. He is a pretty smart dude, and has a lot of good info. Of course he does not have it all right, as do neither you nor I, but I am pretty impressed with his knowledge nonetheless.

Some key take aways from Dr. Lonsdale I have gotten so far:
-Thiamine blood tests are not reliable, it does not show how much Thiamine in the cell. Bam! Hello!
-For some people the transport mechanism is broken that moves Thiamine into the cell, for these people Thiamine HCL is not gonna work so well. For these people Allithiamine and Lipothiamine will work better due to them not needing the transport mechanism. So it would not matter how much Thiamine you are taking in via diet, if your transport mechanism is broken.
-It is possible to feel worse if you start taking Thiamine and are very deficient of it. This is known as a "refeeding effect".
-He always insists of taking magnesium with Thiamine.
-It can take a while for the systems to come back online, the enzymes and what have nots. It can take time to overcome this deficiency.
-B1 deficiency very easily messes with the nervous system and brain via Dysautonomia. Boom! There is your gut issues starting to come online.

Here is the blog he writes at:
Derrick Lonsdale, MD

So basically this all comes down to an energy issue. And it does not matter how high your thyroid is if you are not meeting the nutrient requirements or how little PUFA you got, if you do not have the basic elements to generate and utilize ATP. Things are not gonna work well, you brain is not gonna fire off right, your gut is not gonna communicate with the brain as it should so things are gonna get #rekt down there, energy for life is gonna start waxing and waning, hair is gonna start falling out and greying, your gonna get old real fast!

Could all the gut issues, constipation, pale poo, ulcerative colitis where you poop blood and your intestines are ripping apart be a simple vitamin deficiency? I think so...

Check out this thread on where I put the pieces together of constipation:
SIBO, Gut Motility, Constipation. What Is Really Going On? I Will Tell You

Look what @Scenes said in the thread about constipation and B1:
Why is B1 giving me such incredible bowel movements?? I’m a regular 3 full solids a day from a standard 1 a day in the morning. I’m eating the same amount of food - where is it all coming from!?
ATP brother, ATP. Bam!

Check out this thread where I nailed down vitamin B3 deficiency as the potential cause of many digestive issues:
SIBO, GERD, LPR, IBS, & Colitis Could Be Vitamin B3 Deficiency - "Niacin Treats Digestive Problems"

And this one where B3 aka Niacin wipes out Ulcerative Colitis! On this very forum @Gorrilahead puts his Ulcerative Colitis in "remission" with Niacin.
Niacin Ameliorates Ulcerative Colitis

Or this one where the long forgotten Pellagra is now being called Celiac Disease and due to this reclassification has people chasing unicorns:
The Case Of Mistaken Identity: How Pellagra Now Thought To Be Rare Became Known As Celiac Disease

And what do a lot of the people who have these gut issues complain of, brain fog! Aka, dementia! Well looky what we have here:
Dementia Or Pellagra? Niacin Deficiency In The 21st Century

So, why do a lot of Peaters Peater out on a Peat diet? Try saying that fast while deficient of B3. :D I am thinking it's due to B deficiencies. Things start off good, start seeing great results. However, the weight starts piling on, its not fat, its mostly water weight aka Edema! Guess what is connected to obesity and edema, boom, you got it, Thiamine. The skin issues(Pellegra B3) start to raise their ugly head when pushing up hard on the metabolism. And what else? Sugar. Empty calories like Dr. Lonsdale likes to say(the Dr. is all about the fruit so don't think he is not understanding about needing carbs, good try though! :D ). Sugar(emtpy calorie table sugar) is scientifically proven to worsen B1 deficiency. And guess what else possibly interferes with the B vitamins, coffee. Plus, we start eating "clean" and move away from the unfortified foods. So, then we start pushing our metabolism up hard, calling for even more nutrients, on top of modern day stressors which burn up even more of the B's and what do you got? The perfect storm for Beriberi and Pellagra hell. Or as I would rather say, a simple vitamin deficiency.

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Kram

Interesting. Do you think it's important to give up coffee while trying to replenish vitamin B stores?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Interesting. Do you think it's important to give up coffee while trying to replenish vitamin B stores?
I would think so but honestly am not certain of it. I have seen many reports that coffee blocks B1. Then @LeeLemonoil posted this study:
Coffee consumption and circulating B-vitamins in healthy middle-aged men and women. - PubMed - NCBI

So I am wondering if this is a case of it blocking the absorption and or dumping it out via the kidneys. Or, maybe coffee is actually allowing the utilization of the B vitamins more. Allowing for the transfer from the blood to the cells. I have not looked into this part deeper yet but I hope we can gather more insight on this.

With that said, I just stopped drinking coffee to see if it makes a difference. Which will also bring my sugar intake down which should in theory also help bring up B status quicker.

Last edited:

Mito

Thiamine blood tests are not reliable, it does not show how much Thiamine in the cell. Bam! Hello!

Chris Masterjohn recommends the following tests to assess thiamin status:
Whole blood thiamin pyrophosphate (Lab Corp) - low in Thiamine deficiency
Erythrocyte transketolase activity (Health Diagnostics and Research Institute ETKA test) - low in Thiamine deficiency
Alanine (part of a plasma amino acids profile test) - high in Thiamin deficiency
Lactate and pyruvate elevated in blood
Alpha-ketoglutarate, lactate, and pyruvate elevated in a urinary organic acids test

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Chris Masterjohn recommends the following tests to assess thiamin status:
Whole blood thiamin pyrophosphate (Lab Corp) - low in Thiamine deficiency
Erythrocyte transketolase activity (Health Diagnostics and Research Institute ETKA test - low in Thiamine deficiency
Alanine (part of a plasma amino acids profile test) - high in Thiamin deficiency
Lactate and pyruvate elevated in blood
Alpha-ketoglutarate, lactate, and pyruvate elevated in a urinary organic acids test

Aaah yes, thank you for bringing that point forward. I should have been more specific. Regular blood tests for thiamine deficiency(whole blood level) are not accurate in showing deficiencies. It looks like Dr. Lonsdale is mostly in agreement with Mr. Masterjohn that different tests are needed.

Thiamine Deficiency Testing: Understanding the Labs- Hormones Matter

Last edited:

Kram

I would think so but honestly am not certain of it. I have seen many reports that coffee blocks B1. Then @LeeLemonoil posted this study:
Coffee consumption and circulating B-vitamins in healthy middle-aged men and women. - PubMed - NCBI

So I am wondering if this is a case of it blocking the absorption and or dumping it out via the kidneys. Or, maybe coffee is actually allowing the utilization of the B vitamins more. Allowing for the transfer from the blood to the cells. I have not looked into this part deeper yet but I hope we can gather more insight on this.

With that said, I just stopped drinking coffee to see if it makes a difference. Which will also bring my sugar intake down which should in theory also help bring up B status quicker.
Cool, thanks for sharing. I cannot make up my mind about coffee. Every once in awhile, I get great effects from it, B1, B3, methylene blue, hydrogen water or red light and I wonder if this all has to do with repleting and depleting vitamin B stores. Feel like I have been stuck at 80% of my recovery the past year and half.

Cirion

One thing maybe slightly off topic but starting to wonder if the requirements of vitamin S (sun, not steroid lol-- and not replacable with vitamin D supplements IMO) and vitamin G (aka grounding) simply can not be replaced by supplements or foods or artificial products and this is why so many people remain sick? How many can honestly say they get lots of sunlight and ungrounded connection to the earth? Sadly I know I can't.

I bring these up in this topic I guess because both the sun and grounding should alleviate inflammation and thus alleviate the load on B vitamins.

aliciahere

I’m a diagnosed celiac. I started to feel much better when I ate enough calories and when I added Niacinamide as a supplement. Right now, I’m taking that, B1, taurine and selenium three times a week, and I haven’t had a “autoimmune incident” in a long time.

Now.... I’ve only briefly looked over your findings... but I would like to pose a question/hypothesis. Is the B vitamin deficiency caused by a reduced ability to digest protein? I’ve had a theory about this for a while, but haven’t had a chance to truest investigate it.

Mauritio

So through would mechanism do you propose helps B1 and B3 supplementation with stuff like bacterial overgrowth/Infection? Immunity system stimulation ?

Also what dosage do you suggest to start with?

redsun

I’m a diagnosed celiac. I started to feel much better when I ate enough calories and when I added Niacinamide as a supplement. Right now, I’m taking that, B1, taurine and selenium three times a week, and I haven’t had a “autoimmune incident” in a long time.

Now.... I’ve only briefly looked over your findings... but I would like to pose a question/hypothesis. Is the B vitamin deficiency caused by a reduced ability to digest protein? I’ve had a theory about this for a while, but haven’t had a chance to truest investigate it.

B deficiency can be caused by increased depletion that diet cannot keep up with, poor absorption due to gut damage(usually B related anyway), or low B intake in general.

It is actually the other way around, B deficiency(especially B1, B3) reduces the ability to digest proteins or digest anything really.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
T

TheBeard

My take on the topic:

Years and years of medications taken by our grandmothers and mothers made us born with less than ideal microbiomes.

To balance this biome, we need to leverage more drugs: antibiotics.

In an unnatural world, it’s foolish to want to thrive on natural solutions.

Inaut

In this clip Ray suggests a dosage of 300mg of B1, in divided doses for things like cancer and diabetes. Mainly to lower lactic acid, increase CO2 and stabilize blood sugar. Intuitively I’ve settled on this dosage it seems as well. 100mg B1 and 100mg B3 in or with my OJ, with 400mg of mag carbonate and some baking soda. Something is satisfying about this mix :)

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So through would mechanism do you propose helps B1 and B3 supplementation with stuff like bacterial overgrowth/Infection? Immunity system stimulation ?
Obviously overall energy breakdown would be the first. Without B1 there will be no ATP.

Another big issue that is big in the SIBO groups is motility, I touch on that here at the link below. Without good motility the small intestine will not purge the food like it should so bacteria overload ensues where it should not be:
SIBO, Gut Motility, Constipation. What Is Really Going On? I Will Tell You

Another is low acid, things do not get broken down as they should so bacteria piles up, more deficiencies pile on:
Is Vitamin B3 Dependency a Causal Factor in the Development of Hypochlorhydria and Achlorhydria? - Jonathan E. Prousky, B.P.H.E., B.Sc., N.D.

Another is Dysautonomia. This will mess up anything and everything and I suspect this is part of the LPR connection, POTS, etc. Thanks to Dr. Lonsdale I was about to put this connection together.

I have been on the SIBO forums for a while. And while nuking(heavy antibiotics and natural antibiotics) the bacteria does help some people, they seem to always fall right back in the same place. So this tells me that nuking is not the way to go and is not the underlying condition. And at worse, nuking the situation has put some people in way worse condition. So I started digging for the root causes, and it all lead back to having the proper nutrition/nutrients so that the body could do what it needed. Get the gut moving with B1, get the acid pumping properly with B3, and of course meet the cofactors along with it and Bam! The body will naturally do what it is supposed to, no need to attack it with an onslaught of heavy artillery hoping the critters don't come back again.

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Cirion

Thanks for that conclusion, I always wondered why antibiotics seems to help some and others not, and in some cases worsen symptoms. My gut instinct (pun partially intended) was not to try antibiotics because I felt like it wasn't the answer myself also.

I've found btw that some fasting may be required until the gut/digestion is properly fixed and B vitamins restored. Throwing more food at it while things aren't digesting is not the answer. It sucks and is unpleasant at times, but I think I may finally be starting to slowly lower inflammation now. I still have lots of carbs, to prevent from going hypo doing this, but I am starting to go on 10-16 hr "solid food" fasts now to keep things moving in the right direction. Yesterday had to do a 16 hr intermittent "solid food fast" in particular since the day before I added bloat/inflammation and now I'm lower wt and in a better position than I was even the day prior.

What are all the cofactors?

jaywills

Thanks for this. Really interesting and something to definitely take a look into.
What is the best way to supplement the B vitamins, Thiamine in particular?
Would an oral supplement suffice, Brewers Yeast etc?
I noticed Peas are a good source of Thiamine, would eating these be beneficial?

Vinny

Thank you, @charlie
How would one know if the transport mechanism is broken?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thank you, @charlie
How would one know if the transport mechanism is broken?
I would assume that if you have B1 deficiency symptoms but your whole blood shows you are fine then there could be a transport issue. I just ran into Dr. Lonsdale a few days ago who clued me in on the transport issue but I do not have the exact mechanisms down yet on why or how. He says Allithiamine and Lipothiamine are best for this issue since transport is not needed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals