Should you quit coffee to fix a vitamin B1 deficiency?

Hans

Forum Supporter
In my newsletter, I asked which topic people would like to see the most, and coffee and B1 were upvoted the most. I know it was also a "hot" topic a while back on the forum, so that's why I decided to post it here as well.

View: https://youtu.be/ahDYNNFnFrI

ArtIt

Coffee has helped me most of my adult life, but recently I have switched to yerba mate + green tea, and feel better. I have more energy, and I am more calm.

Dr. B

Coffee is harsh on the gut as well
In my newsletter, I asked which topic people would like to see the most, and coffee and B1 were upvoted the most. I know it was also a "hot" topic a while back on the forum, so that's why I decided to post it here as well.

View: https://youtu.be/ahDYNNFnFrI

Coffee has helped me most of my adult life, but recently I have switched to yerba mate + green tea, and feel better. I have more energy, and I am more calm.

are caffeine pills fine to use? it says USP grade, nutrabio brand, 200mg caffeine. wanted to avoid coffee due to pesticides issue and other concerns, so was thinking of caffeine
also, anyone know if its coffees own unique acids/etc that help it inhibit iron absorption or is it the caffeine in which case caffeine capsules help too?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Nice. I'm not trying to promote coffee here, but coffee has so many other benefits other than caffeine ofc. But ofc, there isn't something like a coffee deficiency haha.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
are caffeine pills fine to use? it says USP grade, nutrabio brand, 200mg caffeine. wanted to avoid coffee due to pesticides issue and other concerns, so was thinking of caffeine
also, anyone know if its coffees own unique acids/etc that help it inhibit iron absorption or is it the caffeine in which case caffeine capsules help too?
Caffeine pills are fine.
It's compounds other than caffeine that inhibits non-heme iron absorption.

Spartan300

How so? From what I've seen, it's only protective against gut issues, such as colon cancer for example.
I think this maybe another of those situations where it depends on the state of one's health.

A week or so ago I cut back to one coffee per day and my digestive distress and gurgling is much improved.
My sleep is marginally better too.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Is it also protective in the context of gastritis?
Don't think so. Do you also have GERD? Too little stomach acid can cause GERD, but coffee might help since it can help with stomach acid. But perhaps the extra liquid dilutes the stomach acid too much, thus preventing any benefit. Espresso might be more suitable. Also, excess cortisol has been linked to GERD.
What is your main symptom with the gastritis?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
It's very acidic which makes it exacerbate leaky gut and IBS issues.
Black coffee on an empty stomach also gives me gut issues. When I add milk/cream and sugar I don't get any issues. It might be different for everyone.

khan

Don't think so. Do you also have GERD? Too little stomach acid can cause GERD, but coffee might help since it can help with stomach acid. But perhaps the extra liquid dilutes the stomach acid too much, thus preventing any benefit. Espresso might be more suitable. Also, excess cortisol has been linked to GERD.
What is your main symptom with the gastritis?
No i don't think i have gerd. I get burning sensation in the stomach and unable to digest variety of things such as beef, nuts, saturated fats, etc. I sometimes get joint pain if I combine several things in one meal. My gastritis was diagnosed by endoscopy and it became worse after antibiotics and PPI. I recently order zinc-carnosine.i hope that will help. I will soon also use mucosta for gastritis. It's a Japanese medicine.
Even after eating i feel i haven't eaten anything.
Any advice for me?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
No i don't think i have gerd. I get burning sensation in the stomach and unable to digest variety of things such as beef, nuts, saturated fats, etc. I sometimes get joint pain if I combine several things in one meal. My gastritis was diagnosed by endoscopy and it became worse after antibiotics and PPI. I recently order zinc-carnosine.i hope that will help. I will soon also use mucosta for gastritis. It's a Japanese medicine.
Even after eating i feel i haven't eaten anything.
Any advice for me?
Have you tried easy-to-digest food and digestive enzymes? Nuts are not easily digested at all.

Dr. B

Have you tried easy-to-digest food and digestive enzymes? Nuts are not easily digested at all.
mate if you get a chance could you discuss or maybe youve already discussed why do you use the high dose b1, is it due CO2 effects and acetozolamide effects... and whats been your experience and how do you get around the nutrient depletion, like wouldnt the megadoses of b1 potentially cause depletions in a bunch of other nutrients like other b vitamins... or manganese or something else