Thiamine Treats Cancer In Humans, Its Deficiency May Cause Cancer

haidut

Forum Supporter
Some time ago, I posted a study by Otto Warburg himself showing that thiamine deficiency immediately activates the "cancer metabolism".
Deficiency Of Vitamin B1 (thiamine) Can Cause The Cancer Metabolism

More recent studies have found that majority of cancer patients have thiamine deficiency.
Majority Of Cancer Patients Have Vitamin B1 (thiamine) Deficiency

I also posted about thiamine as an inhibitor of carbonic anhydrase and being as effective as DCA in inhibiting excessive glycolysis. All of these studies make a strong case for trying thiamine as treatment for cancer but unfortunately, such a study has zero chance of funding in the Western world. However, even without a full clinical trial, there are human case studies (below) showing direct thiamine administration rapidly shrinks a highly malignant tumor, and other pre-malignant growths. The authors think there is good strong evidence of cancer development being due to malnutrition and deficiency of vitamins (especially B1), and thus administering vitamin B1 to be a rather obvious and (apparently) effective cancer treatment.
Hey @aguilaroja, @Such_Saturation, and @Amazoniac - I think you may like this case study. Hopefully there will be more studies on thiamine to come from that group.
The method of administration used in this study was IV or subcutaneous injection close to the site of the tumor. While there is a definite benefit to this approach, oral thiamine can work just as well. As I posted in another thread a Japanese study from the 1960s found that oral thiamine administration for 7 days achieve concentrations on the 7th day that are equivalent to the same dose of thiamine administered IV. After those 7 days a continued oral usage of the same dose maintains the concentration and would be equivalent to getting a thiamine IV of the same dose. So, the 300mg dose administered subcutaneously in this study can be replaced with 300mg oral thiamine taken on a daily basis until the tumor disappears.

Thiamin deficiency: a possible major cause of some tumors? (review). - PubMed - NCBI

"...The real cancer was observed in a 40-year old housewife with prolonged severe malnutrition in the camp. When rising from squatting position she fainted on the ground and her right arm broke. The fracture wound did not heal but swelled progressively and became stony hard and painful. Its circumference reached 30 cm at the third month after injury. X-ray film demonstrated a large radiolucent and slightly milky mass with destructive bony lesions and minimal healed osteoid tissues. The biopsy specimen was gritty and non-elastic. The authentic pathology diagnosis was 'osteal malignancy' without further classification. Owing to the very rapid course and minimal healing ostoid tissue, it should be osteolytic osteosarcoma, an extremely malignant bone cancer. Thiamin HCl 300 mg was infused subcutaneously around the mass immediately after biopsy. Her general status greatly improved and the mass drastically shrank within 2 days. The circum-ference decreased from 30 to 20 cm, equivalent to 50-75% reduction in volume."

"...In conclusion, submandibar gland cyst, Baker's cyst and osteosarcoma were found in patients with severe malnutrition when their prolonged nutritional deficiency became exacerbated. Local thiamin alone was dramatically effective. Therefore, it raises the question whether thiamin deficiency is a major cause of cancer."

Last edited:

Amazoniac

Guru, Koch wrote how the precancerous stage is characterized by confusion and dizziness that disappear once cancer sets in. These symptoms are typical of B-vitamins deficiencies. At a certain point of the overexcitation, when the demand can't be met, the problem is isolated to avoid sacrificing the rest.

The Living State
upload_2017-12-9_8-16-34.png

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Guru, Koch wrote how the precancerous stage is characterized by confusion and dizziness that disappear once cancer sets in. These symptoms are typical of B-vitamins deficiencies. At a certain point of the overexcitation, when the demand can't be met, the problem is isolated to avoid sacrificing the rest.

The Living State
View attachment 7520

Lol, you really like that liver extract, don't you? :):
But yes, thanks for bringing that up as it shows once again the brain is involved in cancer development. Hence the dizziness and confusion. The elevated lipolysis is probably also involved as diabetics (high lipolysis and high ketogenesis, and low on thiamine and B3) also experience dizziness and confusion.
Cancer Is A State Of Chronic Stress With Elevated Lipolysis And Ketogenesis

burtlancast

Vitamin B1 deficiency causes beribery, encephalopathy W-K, and optic neuropathy.

I don't believe these diseases are known to be associated with an increase rate of cancer. Rather it seems cancer patients end up developing Vit B1 deficiency diseases.

Here's an explanation from the Linus Pauling institute:

"5. Cancer, Linus Pauling Institute

Thiamin deficiency has been observed in some cancer patients with rapidly growing tumors. Recent research in cell culture and animal models indicates that rapidly dividing cancer cells have a high requirement for thiamin. All rapidly dividing cells require nucleic acids at an increased rate, but some cancer cells appear to rely heavily on the TPP-dependent enzyme, transketolase, to provide the ribose-5-phosphate necessary for nucleic acid synthesis. Thiamin supplementation in cancer patients is common to prevent thiamin deficiency, but some investigators caution that too much thiamin may fuel the growth of some malignant tumors. These investigators suggest that thiamin supplementation be reserved for those cancer patients that are actually thiamin deficient. Presently, there is no evidence available from studies in humans to support or refute this theory. However, it would be prudent for individuals with cancer who are considering thiamin supplementation to discuss this issue with the clinician managing their cancer therapy."

TreasureVibe

Vitamin B1 deficiency causes beribery, encephalopathy W-K, and optic neuropathy.

I don't believe these diseases are known to be associated with an increase rate of cancer. Rather it seems cancer patients end up developing Vit B1 deficiency diseases.

Here's an explanation from the Linus Pauling institute:

"5. Cancer, Linus Pauling Institute

Thiamin deficiency has been observed in some cancer patients with rapidly growing tumors. Recent research in cell culture and animal models indicates that rapidly dividing cancer cells have a high requirement for thiamin. All rapidly dividing cells require nucleic acids at an increased rate, but some cancer cells appear to rely heavily on the TPP-dependent enzyme, transketolase, to provide the ribose-5-phosphate necessary for nucleic acid synthesis. Thiamin supplementation in cancer patients is common to prevent thiamin deficiency, but some investigators caution that too much thiamin may fuel the growth of some malignant tumors. These investigators suggest that thiamin supplementation be reserved for those cancer patients that are actually thiamin deficient. Presently, there is no evidence available from studies in humans to support or refute this theory. However, it would be prudent for individuals with cancer who are considering thiamin supplementation to discuss this issue with the clinician managing their cancer therapy."
So all in all huge dose thiamin supplementation like Ray Peat advices for cancer, 300 mg twice a day separately, is bad for cancer?

burtlancast

So all in all huge dose thiamin supplementation like Ray Peat advices for cancer, 300 mg twice a day separately, is bad for cancer?

I escaped that part of Ray advising it: could you point me to the source?

TreasureVibe

I escaped that part of Ray advising it: could you point me to the source?
Small excerpt from Ray Peat on cancer and pH:

00:50:24 >
to be niacinamide or the new niacinamide or nicotinamide 'riboside', which is just a variation on niacinamide. It's a lot more expensive, but if you have an allergic reaction to one, you can try the other. ANDREW MURRAY: OK so I just very quickly want you to remind listeners, the dose, and you mentioned specifically for cancers even, for B1 and you mentioned: two to three hundred milligrams in divided doses? RAY PEAT: Yeah, it's safe to take as much as 300mg RAY PEAT: during a day. ANDREW MURRAY: And again, what would the benefits of that be? RAY PEAT: Lowering lactic acid, stimulating the oxidation of it and so you produce more carbon dioxide and less lactic acid. That shifts away from inflammation. Lactic acid is keeping the cancer developing by creating an inflammation and disturbing the pH balance.

Source: Ray Peat

I would swear I read someone that someone here on the forum posted that Ray Peat recommended 300mg of vitamin B1 twice daily separately for cancer, it was not mentioned wether that was from an interview or a personal e-mail. I'll quote the post if I can find it.

LucyL

"...In conclusion, submandibar gland cyst, Baker's cyst and osteosarcoma were found in patients with severe malnutrition when their prolonged nutritional deficiency became exacerbated. Local thiamin alone was dramatically effective. Therefore, it raises the question whether thiamin deficiency is a major cause of cancer."

This is interesting, as I developed a Baker's cyst (verified by MRI), about a year prior to my bc dx.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is interesting, as I developed a Baker's cyst (verified by MRI), about a year prior to my bc dx.

Well, have you tried some extra thiamine? Even if it oral, and not injection.

LucyL

Well, have you tried some extra thiamine? Even if it oral, and not injection.
I have a bottle in my cupboard, I haven't touched it in years. If it's the right type, I'm going to start 300mg 2x daily for a few days and see how it synergizes with everything else.

LucyL

}}

How did it go?
I've been doing 300mg 2x a day for a couple weeks, and I did it 3 days a week for a few weeks before that. I can't really say I've noticed any effect good or bad :): I really don't have much reaction to any of the supplements or pills that I take though, with a few exceptions. AI's have induced hot flashes, and aspirin caused bruising, but when I switched K2 to topical application, that bruising stopped.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals