OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1969.tb13011.x/epdf

upload_2017-5-6_18-25-19.png

"FIGURE 1 shows studies that were undertaken to compare the effects of galactose and glucose on urinary divalent cation excretion.4 The mean values are shown for four normal subjects [overnight fasted and] fed 100 grams of glucose in the first study and 100 grams of galactose in the second study, while the third study served as a control. The first three values represent 20-minute collection periods beEore carbohydrate ingestion. Urinary calcium and magnesium excretions more than doubled, and urinary potassium excretions fell strikingly after carbohydrate ingestion."

upload_2017-5-6_18-32-36.png

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

On magnesium balance and its relation with calcium:
Sign In
"When magnesium intakes exceeded 6 mg. per kg. per day, increasing calcium intakes to levels considered optimal and above did not cause a negative magnesium balance."
upload_2017-5-9_8-48-13.png

<10 mg Ca/kg is what they considered low intakes
+15 is considering the "probable sweet loss"
  • Calcium spared the excretion of milligram when milligram intake is too low <4 milligram Milligram/kg
  • In general, above that, calcium increases the requirement for magnesium and its excretion
    • "High calcium intake, by increasing the dietary requirement for magnesium, precipitated magnesium deficiency in rats[12,13,145,146] and in guinea pigs.[142] Metabolic studies in rats[136,138] have similarly shown that increasing the calcium intake increases magnesium loss."
    • "[..]hypercalcemia can develop (in magnesium-depleted rats) even on a calcium-free diet." "[..]calcium may be mobilized consequent to magnesium deficiency. Thus, the available data suggest that the hypercalcemia and soft tissue calcinosis, which are found in magnesium-depleted animals, can be mediated both by enhanced calcium absorption, which is increased even more on a high calcium diet, and by mobilization of body stores. The intensification of symptoms of magnesium deficiency by high calcium intake can be explained on the basis of both interference with absorption and enhancement of renal excretion of magnesium."
  • However, despite the fact that increasing calcium required more magnesium, that wasn't a concern if the intake of Mg exceeded 6 mg/kg because the overall balance was positive, regardless of any variation (as quoted).
  • "A strongly positive magnesium balance developed on magnesium intakes above 10 mg. per kg. per day, regardless of the calcium intake, within the limits of the studies."
"[..]it seems that increasing the magnesium intake, particularly in the presence of an adequate calcium intake, improves rather than interferes with calcium utilization."

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

In hypothyroidism there is little stomach acid, and other digestive juices (and even intestinal movement) are inadequate, so gas and constipation are common. Foods aren't assimilated well, so even on a seemingly adequate diet there is "internal malnutrition." Magnesium is poorly absorbed, and a magnesium deficiency can lead to irritability, blood clots, vascular spasms and angina pectoris, and many other problems.
Foot baths might help in repletion..
Magnesium Oil
Magnesium Chloride And Magnesium Sulfate: A Comparison

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Any experience with foot baths versus regular baths?

How long do you think foot baths should be used for? I've seen regular baths mentioned 10-30 minutes and more.
No. I keep in mind the teachings of our leader about dilution. I haven't tried because I consider regular baths too diluted, and the opposite if using it spreading on skin for (possibly) being too concentrated and not as good as foot or hand baths, the typical itch is probably an indicator of this rush in absorption. The other transdermal ways are milder and might allow the body to have more control and adapt as needed.

Regarding length, haidut suggested long times on that link. I just keep that in mind and don't count because it depends on other factors as well, such as concentration, alligator vs Diokine skin, etc. I would stop if I felt anything weird on muscles, heart, palate, and so on.

Last edited:

raypeatclips

Thanks, I saw study that had good results from 20 mag sprays daily and a 20 minute foot soak twice a week.

A pilot study to determine the
impact of transdermal
magnesium treatment on
serum levels and whole body
CaMg ratios
Watkins K*, Josling PD**

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Absorption of magnesium sulfate
all [19] volunteers took baths (temperatures 50-55°C) and stayed in the bath for 12 minutes. They added varying amounts of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) to the bath before entry and ensured that the salts were completely in solution.
individuals where the blood magnesium levels were not increased had correspondingly large increases in urinary magnesium showing that the magnesium ions had crossed the skin barrier and had been excreted via the kidney, presumably because the blood levels were already optimal. Generally, urinary magnesium levels 24h after the first bath fell from the initial values found after day 1 (mean 118. 43 ± 51.95) suggesting some retention of magnesium in tissues after bathing as blood levels were still high. Measurement of magnesium levels in urine 24h after the 7th bath gave values almost back to control levels.
all individuals had significant rises in plasma magnesium and sulfate at a level of 1% Epsom salts. This equates to 1g MgS04/100ml water; 600g Epsom salts/60 litres, the standard size UK bath taken in this project (~15 US gallons). However, most volunteers had significantly raised Mg/S04 levels on baths with 400g MgS04 added. Above the 600g/bath level, volunteers complained that the water felt 'soapy'.
The values obtained suggest that most people would find maximal benefit by bathing 2 or 3 times/ week, using 500-600g Epsom salts each time.
In other experiments using excised human skin, we found that sulfate does penetrate across the skin barrier. This is quite rapid so probably involves a sulfate transporter protein. We did not see any Mg penetration, but these experiments were conducted for a short time at only 37 degrees as opposed to the 50 degree bath temperature. To check this, 2 volunteers wore 'patches' where solid MgSO4 was applied directly to the skin and sealed with a waterproof plaster. Plasma/urine analysis confirmed that both Mg and sulfate levels had increased so this is potentially a valuable way of ensuring Epsom salts dosage if bathing is not available. Interestingly, both volunteers, who were > 60 years old, commented without prompting that 'rheumatic' pains had disappeared.

Last edited:

Giraffe

Another quote from the book "Magnesium: Current Status and New Developments" (1997):
Magnesium absorption is prevented by high calcium concentrations in rats. This interactive effect may be indirect, depending on the reduction of tight junction permeability with calcium and reducing of the paracellular magnesium movement. Magnesium absorption in humans has been not influenced by increased calcium intake (for example, augmenting from 300 mg to 2000 mg),26 rather, calcium and magnesium have different sites for maximal absorption, so that any effects may be a segment specialty.27

26. Leichsenring JM, Norris LM, Lamison SA. Magnesium metabolism in college women; observations on the effect of calcium and phosphorus intake levels. J Nutr 1991;45:477–485.
27. Hendix JZ, Alcock NW, Archibald RM. Compertition between calcium, strontium, and magnesium for absorption in the isolated rat intestine. Clin Chem 1963;9:734–744.

raypeatclips

Not on my phone so can quote properly
Transdermal mag study

http://www.cnelm.com/NutritionPractitioner/Issues/Issue_11_1/Articles/7 Transdermal Mg revised2.pdf
Following provision of a hair sample for analysis of mineral content each patient tested was instructed to apply 20 sprays of BetterYou™ Magnesium Oil Original spray daily, anywhere on the body, plus a 20 minute foot soak using 100ml BetterYou™ Magnesium Oil Original Soak (using a simple water footbath) twice weekly. At the end of 12 weeks’ treatment a further hair analysis was conducted.

Mineral analysis pre-treatment indicated that 7 of the 9 patients enrolled had low cellular magnesium levels as predicted by our epidemiological analysis. After transdermal applications for 12 weeks all patients except one had a significant increase in cellular magnesium ranging from 2% to 262%. One patient ceased application prematurely, three weeks before final analysis. Overall an average increase of 59.7% was seen.

It is understood that calcium and magnesium oppose each other at the intracellular level and that calcium requires the presence of sufficient magnesium for it to become soluble within the body. Thus low magnesium intake will produce evidence of high calcium storage outside of the bone (referred to as calcification). Overall 100% of patients improved their calcium/magnesium ratio and the average improvement over the period of this study was 25.2%.

Finally, and the most surprising finding, was the effect of the magnesium on the detoxification of toxic minerals. Seven of the nine test cases, so 78%, showed that using the magnesium oil body spray alongside the foot soak was able to antagonise and release toxic minerals including aluminium, lead, cadmium and mercury amongst others.

DawN

Have nothing useful to contribute here, but
@Amazoniac: You think "Wasser", "Milch" sounds funny? - how could you overlook our great german word for landlord: "Vermieter" (speak: Feameetah)!
And what about trying this: "Beschiss" (kind of "scam"), "Opferrolle" (difficult to translate, somekind one word for "being-in-the-position-of-the-victim"), "Zahnersatz"(find it out on your own), "Haferflocken" (simply "oatmeal"), "Fresse" (vulg. for mouth), "Glatze" (bald head), "Stimmvieh" (oh boy, this one is too difficult to explain for me...), "Selbstverstümmelung",
well, may be enough for tonite...

burtlancast

calcium requires the presence of sufficient magnesium for it to become soluble within the body.

I haven't seen it posted yet, but many researchers have witnessed a decrease in teeths cavities along with magnesium supplementation.

I had no explanation for it, until your quote.

Finally, and the most surprising finding, was the effect of the magnesium on the detoxification of toxic minerals. Seven of the nine test cases, so 78%, showed that using the magnesium oil body spray alongside the foot soak was able to antagonise and release toxic minerals including aluminium, lead, cadmium and mercury amongst others.

Again, huge finding.
I suppose this can explained by the magnesium activation of detoxification enzymes.

Who would have thought magnesium detoxifies mercury?

Waynish

I haven't seen it posted yet, but many researchers have witnessed a decrease in teeths cavities along with magnesium supplementation.

Again, huge finding.
I suppose this can explained by the magnesium activation of detoxification enzymes.

Any idea which mag supp methods would be most effective for detox? Anything special about the foot soak they used - or is the spray and occasional epsom salt bath sufficient?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Have nothing useful to contribute here, but
@Amazoniac: You think "Wasser", "Milch" sounds funny? - how could you overlook our great german word for landlord: "Vermieter" (speak: Feameetah)!
And what about trying this: "Beschiss" (kind of "scam"), "Opferrolle" (difficult to translate, somekind one word for "being-in-the-position-of-the-victim"), "Zahnersatz"(find it out on your own), "Haferflocken" (simply "oatmeal"), "Fresse" (vulg. for mouth), "Glatze" (bald head), "Stimmvieh" (oh boy, this one is too difficult to explain for me...), "Selbstverstümmelung",
well, may be enough for tonite...
Thanks. Giraffe ist eine Vermieterin then..

Again, huge finding.

Master,

It might not be something specific to it, it might be just getting things working properly and everything has the potential of becoming a detoxifier, especially if it was something missing that was holding optimal functioning back.
I still have my doubts about these baths (just unsure). Nutrients are better handled when absorbed in a controllable fashion to support the whole process, it's difficult to have this control through the skin and know when it's best to stop, because excess can also be a problem. If you crave a food that's rich in magnesium, you'll know when to stop, and if you ingest more than you should it becomes repulsive. The key is leaving a chocolate bar in front of you while your feet are immersed, as soon as the craving disappears it's time to stop.

Our owner mentioned that magnesium is poorly absorbed in hypopboydism. What if it's counterproductive to force it through the skin constantly? What if it's actually something else that's missing and you're just compensating?
I know there are good results with it, but is it possible to sustain those in the long-term?
Those are questions that I've been asking myself. Some of those salts that you often mention sprinkled owa the food are probably safe. The excesses that are concerning, whether transdermal or ingested. But since we have slight clues we ingest in excess, transdermal is the main concern.

He also mentioned how the body uses some minerals interchangeably, and if magnesium was scarce, it can be that some of them are making up for the shortage.

Chris Masterjohn wrote some time ago about magnesium supporting proper vitamin A metabolism. This is just one interaction (or intercation if you're me typing on google) that can explain its role in adequate calcium metabolism.

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

View attachment 5318
<10 mg Ca/kg is what they considered low intakes
+15 is considering the "probable sweet loss"
  • Calcium spared the excretion of milligram when milligram intake is too low <4 milligram Milligram/kg
  • In general, above that, calcium increases the requirement for magnesium and its excretion
    • "High calcium intake, by increasing the dietary requirement for magnesium, precipitated magnesium deficiency in rats[12,13,145,146] and in guinea pigs.[142] Metabolic studies in rats[136,138] have similarly shown that increasing the calcium intake increases magnesium loss."
    • "[..]hypercalcemia can develop (in magnesium-depleted rats) even on a calcium-free diet." "[..]calcium may be mobilized consequent to magnesium deficiency. Thus, the available data suggest that the hypercalcemia and soft tissue calcinosis, which are found in magnesium-depleted animals, can be mediated both by enhanced calcium absorption, which is increased even more on a high calcium diet, and by mobilization of body stores. The intensification of symptoms of magnesium deficiency by high calcium intake can be explained on the basis of both interference with absorption and enhancement of renal excretion of magnesium."
  • However, despite the fact that increasing calcium required more magnesium, that wasn't a concern if the intake of Mg exceeded 6 mg/kg because the overall balance was positive, regardless of any variation (as quoted).
  • "A strongly positive magnesium balance developed on magnesium intakes above 10 mg. per kg. per day, regardless of the calcium intake, within the limits of the studies."
"[..]it seems that increasing the magnesium intake, particularly in the presence of an adequate calcium intake, improves rather than interferes with calcium utilization."
http://advances.nutrition.org/content/7/1/25.full#sec-12
"Calcium intakes as high as 2–2.5 g/d caused lower magnesium absorption in 2 small, earlier studies ( 100, 101). In a study in teenaged girls, magnesium balance was negative with calcium intakes of 1800 mg/d; however, compared with positive magnesium balance results with 800 mg calcium/d, the differences in magnesium absorption, excretion, and balance were not significant in this small crossover trial (n = 5) ( 102). In a randomized clinical trial conducted in New Zealand menopausal women, researchers observed that the consumption of milk high in calcium or supplementation (1200 mg calcium) with or without magnesium significantly increased magnesium urinary excretion during the 8 h of consumption ( 103). Another trial in Thai menopausal women found that supplementation with 750 mg calcium for 3 mo led to a 15% increase in urinary excretion of magnesium, but the increase was not significant ( 104). A third trial conducted in women aged 24–34 y in The Netherlands found that 400 mg calcium in the form of salts or in cheese increased urinary excretions of magnesium ( 105). Although these findings are not entirely consistent and no dietary magnesium intakes were measured, these clinical trials indicate that high calcium supplementation may affect urinary magnesium excretion in women aged ≥24 y."

chanlaw

Which one is better? Transdermal Magnesium chloride or transdermal magnesium sulphate(epsom salt)?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals