OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you have any idea what would cause the inability utilize thiamine?
I know someone who has had multiple TIAs & has "ataxia, numbness, neuropathy". They thought it was ALS & are now testing for MELAS

People with intestinal issues do not absorb thiamine well and even if their blood levels are normal they still benefit from extra thiamine. Some people also cannot convert thiamine Hcl from diet/supplement to the active form TPP, as that depends on ATP synthesis. So, in that case taking thiamine with niacinamide, methylene blue, thyroid, etc may help convert it into the active form.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you think oral or topical use is preferable in terms of replenishing stores?

Both routes work pretty well, but the topical route seems to have a more drawn out absorption and saturates peripheral tissues better than oral since liver gets the lion's share of oral vitamins.

Xemnoraq

Yes, at least for alcohol abuse. Many alcoholics get stroke and at an early age too. High estrogen and the fact that alcohol depletes thiamine are probably the biggest factors for them. I think some stimulants also deplete B-group vitamins, MDMA and amphetamines being two that I can remember.
I also have heard that caffeine depletes thiamine do you know if this is true?

Yeast is high in estrogen. Dr. Peat has discussed dissolving yeast in very hot water and drinking it, which leaves the estrogen bound to the solids but leaves the B vitamins in solution.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Dave Clark

How about allithiamine? I know some on the forum prefer this, I believe I had read Haidut felt that way. Been watching some of Elliot Overton's videos on B1, and read some of Dr. Lonsdale's work, although haven't read his current book. When using benfotiamine or allithiamine, is this considered in with the daily B1 dosage, or are they different compounds? I wondered the same about pyridoxamine, should that be factored in with your daily B6 dosage, or is it a completely different thing? Interestingly, I found pyridoxamine at LifeLink, seems like high dose/caps, but one of the only places I have found.