Nice Pritikin interview by McDougal back in 1982

cremes

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOj4rzSkqok

If you jump to around the 27m mark, he goes off on PUFA and how the AMA is going to have to revise its guidelines due to the new information about how damaging those fats are. Haha, never happened.

Other interesting highlights were his comments on dairy, calcium, and protein. Pritikin says that he only allows dairy on his diet to minimize complaints from people who feel too deprived or that the diet is too strange without it. But he is very against dairy and that adults should not consume it at all. He also believes we don't need much calcium at all. Lastly, he states that if your diet is comprised of more than 16% of its calories from protein then you will urinate out more calcium than you are taking in.

Worth a watch. Some of what he says aligns with Peat but quite a bit of it is at odds with Peat.

Korven

I wholeheartedly agree with the removal of scary PUFAs!

It looks though like he may have been dealing with (untreated?) hypothyroidism. He has the classic "under-eye bags hypothyroid look" and had to eliminate all animal foods to lower his cholesterol to normal levels, which points to poor thyroid function. Not sure how much his diet had to do with it but Pritikin also died (committed suicide) from leukaemia at 69. Maybe he should have had a phone consultation with Dr Peat...

OP
C

cremes

BTW, while I searched for the video before I posted it I didn't see any duplicate. Just discovered that this video was posted here a few years ago but it was not really discussed as far as I can tell.

Pritikin died in his 60s. His autobiography describes treatment for acne with strong ionizing radiation done in those days. But he did have a short life, for what that's worth.

OP
C

cremes

Yes, his untimely suicide certainly casts a pall over his diet advice. Critics are quick to claim that his HCLF diet led to the return of his cancer, his suicide, etc. I think we are smart enough to tease out the elements of his life and his science that are useful and see how they can apply to our Peatarian approach. Let the critics who are going to ignore all the good stuff shout into the void.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals