RBTI - Reams - mineral deficiency

InChristAlone

Okay scratch all that, I am really thinking that the after breakfast rising urine ph is related to some kind of sugar crash, so I'm asking for those who are familiar with that what can be done to prevent it?

OP
T

tara

I think the risk of sugar crash can be reduced in the short term by regularly drinking a little fruit juice, and making sure to get enough carbs over all through the day. In the long term, whatever your liver needs to get into better shape and improve it's glycogen storage capacity - for which Peat has many ideas - get all nutrient needs met, and lower endotoxin and estrogen burden.
I've been on a mission to avoid the crashes the last year, but I still sometimes get it wrong.

InChristAlone

I agree, and I've been working on that for almost a year when everything went haywire due to my postpartum menstrual cycle. Although I still think it has to do with mineral imbalances since talking with someone who actually quit sugar and does more starch balancing meals along with minerals she says her brix/ph never crashes now. I want to do a HTMA with Dr. Garrett Smith and see what I may be throwing off balance.

OP
T

tara

Janelle525 said:
I agree, and I've been working on that for almost a year when everything went haywire due to my postpartum menstrual cycle. Although I still think it has to do with mineral imbalances since talking with someone who actually quit sugar and does more starch balancing meals along with minerals she says her brix/ph never crashes now. I want to do a HTMA with Dr. Garrett Smith and see what I may be throwing off balance.

Yes, I expect mineral balances are also important, and both Peat and Reams put quite a lot of emphasis on getting enough of all the necessary minerals. I think Peat would suggest that you can probably improve mineral status more easily with fruit, tubers and milk than with grains. I don't know anything about the HTMA. If you go ahead with it, it would be interesting to hear about your experiences and what you learn.

OP
T

tara

I don't know the intricacies and details, but I think I recall that one of Reams' tactics against diabetes was a drink of green juice before every meal. Something leafy with chlorophyll but not too strong. I think it is supposed to provide magnesium in a very usable form, and maybe other things. I think he discouraged bread etc for anyone wih diabetes. And to drink a little pure water every half hour through the day (eg 7:00 or 8:00 am till 7:00 or 8:00 pm). I can't remember his formula for how much, but I think it was based on weight, and worked out around 100ml for me, for a total of ~2.4l per day. (For people prone to low sugar rather than high, some of this might have been juice.) Also to eat only very lightly after lunch.

Miguel

Janelle525 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/75630/ Okay scratch all that, I am really thinking that the after breakfast rising urine ph is related to some kind of sugar crash, so I'm asking for those who are familiar with that what can be done to prevent it?

I agree...I think the the rising urine pH and the sugar crashing are related and from what I've observed, it seems like the rising urine pH causes the sugar number/brix to lower. The big question for me is why do my and other people's urine pH rise so sharply mid-morning? I think it might be related to some daily biological rhythm.

In the past, I had thought I had ways to keep the urine ph from rising but it appears that all I was really doing was just counter-balancing the alkalinity, versus actually stopping it from occurring.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

tara

Miguel said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95771/
Janelle525 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/75630/ Okay scratch all that, I am really thinking that the after breakfast rising urine ph is related to some kind of sugar crash, so I'm asking for those who are familiar with that what can be done to prevent it?

I agree...I think the the rising urine pH and the sugar crashing are related and from what I've observed, it seems like the rising urine pH causes the sugar number/brix to lower. The big question for me is why do my and other people's urine pH rise so sharply mid-morning? I think it might be related to some daily biological rhythm.

In the past, I had thought I had ways to keep the urine ph from rising but it appears that all I was really doing was just counter-balancing the alkalinity, versus actually stopping it from occurring.
Speculation:
Sugar crash is likely to result in reduced CO2 production. CO2 is acidifying. Less CO2 tends to more alkaline UpH. ?
If so, then more carbs in the morning while sugars are falling might avoid the sugar crash and therefore keep the pH more acidic? If pH is too acidic already, and you actually need it to be a little more alkaline without the sugar/CO2 crash, then add more alkalinising foods - eg calcium etc? If pH is OK with more carbs, then OK?

Miguel

tara said:
Speculation:
Sugar crash is likely to result in reduced CO2 production. CO2 is acidifying. Less CO2 tends to more alkaline UpH. ?
If so, then more carbs in the morning while sugars are falling might avoid the sugar crash and therefore keep the pH more acidic? If pH is too acidic already, and you actually need it to be a little more alkaline without the sugar/CO2 crash, then add more alkalinising foods - eg calcium etc? If pH is OK with more carbs, then OK?

FWIW acetazolamide is supposed to increase CO2 right? It looks like it also alkalizes the urine in the process. I think there is something else at play here. Maybe the interplay between the daily morning cortisol spike and some of the other hormones.

I think meal timing may be one of the most important factors for stopping the pH and brix swings. The following video has Challen talking about the typical brix pattern for most people and how it relates to meal timing.

I have this same sine curve pattern he draws but mine would be higher up on the y-axis. I think my issue is that I miss the optimal window for my breakfast and that causes the pH to rise drastically mid-morning. One should be able to test this by moving their breakfast (which includes plenty of carbs) back slightly earlier every day by about 20 or 30min and then see how it affects the numbers. I just test my urine pH and if I'm home, I'll test my brix too.

The problem I find in doing this is that I also need to make sure I try to eat the same breakfast to limit the variables and also have to factor in lunch as well since it seems to come up fairly quickly after breakfast. I just need to commit to being very scientific for a few days so that I can test out this theory.

OP
T

tara

I loved seeing that chart of Challen's a couple of years ago - It seems to fit me pretty well, and helps explain why I can't function if I try to eat the way many people around do (small breakfast, lunch, large dinner). Seems to work better for me if I eat lots of carbs for breakfast on the falling curve, solid lunch in the trough, then lighter the rest of the day. Though I still snack more than he would recommend.

OP
T

tara

Acetazolamide is a drug that changes normal biochemistry, so I'm not sure that it reflects what happens under normal conditions?

Miguel

tara said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95787/ I loved seeing that chart of Challen's a couple of years ago - It seems to fit me pretty well, and helps explain why I can't function if I try to eat the way many people around do (small breakfast, lunch, large dinner). Seems to work better for me if I eat lots of carbs for breakfast on the falling curve, solid lunch in the trough, then lighter the rest of the day. Though I still snack more than he would recommend.
Yeah, I think you also mentioned in the past that you were able to sleep through the night better eating this way as well?

I failed to mention that one of the biggest hurdles that I face when trying to change my meal timings is that I do not find myself hungry in the morning. I'm hoping if I just force myself to eat breakfast for a week or two, my body should hopefully adapt and start expecting food at that time and therefore I will start to get hungry. I know when I was younger, and would have designated lunch and dinner times, that I would find myself getting hungry around those times so I'm hoping the same thing will eventually happen with breakfast.

I've tried eating little at night in hopes that I'll wake up hungry but I haven't had much luck with that. I'll have to search around to see if there are any shortcuts to adapting to a new meal schedule relatively quickly.

Lastly... Tara, do you supplement with any sort of thyroid product? If so, have you noticed if it affects your urine pH and brix at all?

OP
T

tara

Hi Miguel,
I have not been tracking brix and pH for a while, so can't tell you a pattern. If I get back to this, I'll post here. I ate a little chicken neck stock every day for a year or so, and currently taking small amount of NDT.

OP
T

tara

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals