Is It Ok To Eat PUFA If You Are Not Overconsuming Calories (gaining Fat)?

Steve

If you are not overconsuming calories (gaining fat) wouldn't the PUFA just be burned instead of stored?

powerlifter

You would either store it, oxidize it or get rid of it via glucuronidation pathway. Regarding your question, still, the oxidation of PUFA is the main problem.

OP
S

Steve

You would either store it, oxidize it or get rid of it via glucuronidation pathway. Regarding your question, still, the oxidation of PUFA is the main problem.
So if you eat a couple donuts & then go on a 50-mile bike ride you would probably oxidize it, but that oxidation is toxic?
Is oxidizing something immediately after eating it just as harmful as oxidizing the fat that is stored in your body?

postman

It will accumulate in your body unless you eat like less than 4 grams of it per day, and maybe even then as well.

HumanLife

It will accumulate in your body unless you eat like less than 4 grams of it per day, and maybe even then as well.

Is it really possible to even be below 4 grams for like, a 6 foot male? If I don't eat a certain amount of calories every day, which includes a lot of fat, I don't think I could function in my best.

postman

Is it really possible to even be below 4 grams for like, a 6 foot male? If I don't eat a certain amount of calories every day, which includes a lot of fat, I don't think I could function in my best.
It's fairly easy if you prepare your own meals and don't add any fats other than coconut oil or better yet hydrogenated coconut oil or MCTs.

You don't necessarily have to eat below 4 grams every single day -- the idea is to not splurge on the PUFA junk, corn/canola/soybean oils and instead use butter, coconut oil, palm kernel, ghee and maybe even some olive oil as well to make most of the fat saturated and maybe monounsatured vs. so much unneeded polyunsaturated fats you can skip on.

There is sometimes too much fixation on a number when what you want is just a low amount of PUFA -- doesn't have to be exactly zero or within 4 grams a day since that requires a more fixed routine and diet assortment everyone may not have.

Lots of people will mindlessly go through well over 10 and even 20 grams a day -- so just try and go up to, say, 10 for every 2,500 calories or something like that. If you're going to get PUFA from eating at least make it be from meats more than vegetable oils and high sugar + PUFA combos as seen in many junk items.

postman

You don't necessarily have to eat below 4 grams every single day -- the idea is to not splurge on the PUFA junk, corn/canola/soybean oils and instead use butter, coconut oil, palm kernel, ghee and maybe even some olive oil as well to make most of the fat saturated and maybe monounsatured vs. so much unneeded polyunsaturated fats you can skip on.

There is sometimes too much fixation on a number when what you want is just a low amount of PUFA -- doesn't have to be exactly zero or within 4 grams a day since that requires a more fixed routine and diet assortment everyone may not have.

Lots of people will mindlessly go through well over 10 and even 20 grams a day -- so just try and go up to, say, 10 for every 2,500 calories or something like that. If you're going to get PUFA from eating at least make it be from meats more than vegetable oils and high sugar + PUFA combos as seen in many junk items.
4g is not a hard limit but there is a limit somewhere between 4g and 10g where mead acid production will stop almost completely and it takes weeks for it to ramp up again.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals