Absolutely No Desire To Eat But Intense PUFA Cravings

tankasnowgod

We only crave two things: salt and sweet. We can have salty or sweet fat, salty or sweet protein and salty or sweet sugar. Ice cream is a sweet fat while butter and salted nuts are salty fats. Fat without salt would make most people vomit like salt free butter and no salt nuts or trying to swallow pure oils.

And what would people's reaction be to, say, eating 2 oz of pure salt with no chaser?

Tarmander

Piercingly accurate...

I need to fix my sleep schedule asap.

Godspeed :salute

I used to be a night owl, took me years to get it to a healthy place. Even still I get a craving now and then to burn the midnight oil. The time I go to bed is important, but for me its more about what time I wake up. If I sleep in, I can't go to bed early. So I have to get up between 6-7:30am and resist sleeping in.

raypeatclips

Godspeed :salute

I used to be a night owl, took me years to get it to a healthy place. Even still I get a craving now and then to burn the midnight oil. The time I go to bed is important, but for me its more about what time I wake up. If I sleep in, I can't go to bed early. So I have to get up between 6-7:30am and resist sleeping in.

What effects have you noticed from getting up early and going to be early?

nigma

I discussed this on the new thread I started. My theory is PUFA craving is from your brain thinking hibernation would be a good thing. This could be because your body thinks winter is coming and you live at a higher latitude. It may think this if you are cold (air-con), not eating enough carbs, not getting much light on your skin, getting sleep during the day instead if night, etc.

WHY Do PUFAs Inhibit Thyroid?

In the thread there is a link to a paper where the research animals prefered PUFA over other fats when they were placed in a cold environment, but this could be reversed when they eere placed back into warmer environments.

Tarmander

What effects have you noticed from getting up early and going to be early?

stable blood sugars and much less mood swings. Even energy and endurance. Calmer, more relaxed, just less stress. Eating three times a day goes hand in hand with good sleep times. I will say that at night time, I became much more creative and motivated. That was definitely a perk for being a night owl. But I also felt hungover during the day, and my energy at night was more manic, less focused.

Richiebogie

My daily diet basically just consists of coca-cola and milk

Coke and Milk will not cover all of your vitamin and mineral needs.

eg. vitamin C, niacin, vitamin K, Manganese, Copper...

Better to have Milk, Dried figs and Bananas. Some seafood like Shrimp will give you sodium, iodine and cholesterol too!

A little coke is ok after you have got in the basics. Think of it like drinking coffee with sugar.

DaveFoster

I have a thing where I take a tablespoon of unrefined coconut oil and put lots of fine salt on it and eat it. It's extremely tasty and has both fat and salt. I find it helps me separate those cravings from other cravings that might be going on.
eab.png

Regina

Some how, I think I would feel well eating her food in this mountainous location:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/t-magazine/jeong-kwan-the-philosopher-chef.html?_r=1

IF we are able to keep blood sugars stable and avoid a stress response. It's not a Peaty sort of fare. But it does seems to have fruit, (even OJ) bamboo shoots, mushrooms, tatoes and the alchemy of the chef's energy and the non-stressful setting. Maybe in this setting, it's enough??

Pet Peeve

I have lots of allergies and I crave the foods I'm allergic to in the same way I crave PUFA foods. Maybe we're craving inflammation for some reason?

Some times I kind of snap out of a trance with a half eaten bag of chips in my hands and wonder how I could be so stupid to buy the chips. When I went no-carb I would have the same experience with jars of honey.

OP
L

lampofred

Some times I kind of snap out of a trance with a half eaten bag of chips in my hands and wonder how I could be so stupid to buy the chips. When I went no-carb I would have the same experience with jars of honey.

So what makes chips different from honey?

Fast forward a few years and for most of us PUFA will probably have the same status that sugar now has.

tomisonbottom

I am a 20-year old male who weights 160 pounds, and I can't force myself to eat more than 15oo calories a day, which is pathetic. I force myself to cook, but as soon as I take the first 2-3 bites, I am sick of it, and can't eat anymore. My daily diet basically just consists of coca-cola and milk. I am not anorexic because I don't care about weight gain, but I get hungry very rarely and whenever I do get hungry, my appetite completely disappears after 1 glass of milk/a few bites of potates/a glass of coca-cola/etc.

This is unhealthy because I am often cold and stressed with dry skin, but I can't force myself to eat. I do have these insane cravings for PUFA, though, and could eat buckets of those if I wanted to do so. The thought of hash browns, curly fries, chicken wings, is literally making me salivate as I'm typing this. Also, my cravings are definitely for PUFA and not anything else. Fries are PUFA + potato + salt, but mashed potatoes with loads of butter and salt do nothing for me. Chick-fil-a waffle fries are not nearly as appealing as Arby's/Jack-in-the-box curly fries fried to a crisp and dripping with oil (I looked up the fat content of all commercial fries, and guess what... Arby's and Jack-in-the-box have the highest fat content). Before anyone says "if you're actually craving the oil, then you'd want to drink it from the bottle," consider that people who crave sugar crave soda/dessert and not white sugar, people who crave salt crave chips/crackers/popcorn and not raw salt, people who crave iron crave red meat but don't want to bite pots and pans.

Peat mentions cravings are a good guide as to what to eat, but does he ever talk about PUFA cravings? My PUFA cravings remind me of how most people crave sugar but deprive themselves because they think it's terrible for them. And how does one increase appetite? I suspect estrogen/serotonin are the issues, but I can't figure out how to lower them.

Thanks for reading!

I think this has more to do with foods that make your mouth water; than PUFA. It's important to eat food that looks and sounds good so that your digestion functions properly.

Try looking on pinterest for foods that look delicious to you and then substituting the fat for refined coconut oil in any recipe, and you can get lots of good tasting ideas. I think some variety in the diet is helpful to make you want to eat.

I've also noticed a gram or more of aspirin, sometimes 1.5 grams will make me super hungry and energetic when I'm sluggish and/or don't have an appetite. Have you ever tried aspirin in gram doses?

InChristAlone

Just allow yourself to eat junk from time to time and you won't feel the urge to binge on it anymore.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals